BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what, we aren't allowed to say when a LEO has done wrong around here now? What a joke.
View Quote

No comment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Solution: Lock out computer while car in in drive.

Some departments across the country are already using some of these techniques. In Fort Wayne, Indiana, police officers' in-car computer won't allow them to keep typing after going 10 to 15 miles per hour. And in Fort Worth, Texas, after NBC station KXAS started reporting on the issue, the chief of police ruled that officers aren't allowed to use their computers at all while driving, unless it's an emergency.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If this is true, I have not attempted verification, then there has been a miscarriage of justice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not only did he kill Olin, he lied about it.  He initially claimed that Olin swerved in front of him.  Several days later when confronted with evidence that Olin was in the bike lane at all times, he changed his story.  Way to serve and protect.

If this is true, I have not attempted verification, then there has been a miscarriage of justice.

WTF!  this guy needs to be fired and charged.  (assuming this is true)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agreed, now does anyone know why he wont be charged?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In after the lock.

As previously stated in this thread and in the linked article in CA LE can use electronic devices in course of duties - yes LE  is exempted from no text/hands free.  

Not sure you can convict someone for voluntary or involuntary manslaughter when the act that is the proximate cause is specifically deemed legal in this circumstance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As previously stated in this thread and in the linked article in CA LE can use electronic devices in course of duties - yes LE  is exempted from no text/hands free.  

Not sure you can convict someone for voluntary or involuntary manslaughter when the act that is the proximate cause is specifically deemed legal in this circumstance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In after the lock.

That's the whole point of a negligence charge, is it not? Not that your action was inherent unlawful, but rather your performance of said duty was not keeping within a reasonable standard of due diligence.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So are some of you saying 100% of ALL such/like incidents involving NON LEO's resulted in criminal charges? Some make it sound like 100% of the people who have ever been involved in such an event, who were not LE, have been arrested... for some reason I don't think that's so.

I bet he loses his job and his agency pays out a max insurance claim... a criminal charge is minor and the least of the officers problems.
View Quote

I hope so.  At least in this case the family should have the funds to ensure justice.

How sad.  It is looking more and more like sufficient funds are all that is necessary to ensure either guilt or innocence.  That may tend to anger people, and cause them to have less faith in the justice system (if that is possible at tis point).

I think Eric Arthur Blairkwell's well known quote from the book Animal Farm sums up my view.

Edited to add a question to the mods:  Is the quote "Some Animals are more equal than others" deemed offensive because the animals in question were pigs which is a common slang term for law enforcement officers, or is it because it is considered offensive to point out the different standards people are held to because of their occupation, social status, wealth, etc...?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I know what I'd like to say, but nowadays I don't know what I'm allowed to say here.

Membership renewal is coming up...might have to ponder it for a bit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In after the lock.

even if what the officer was doing was permitted, he still has a responsibility to not be negligent while doing it.  veering out of his lane and hitting a guy in the bike lane shows that he was being negligent, imo

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know what I'd like to say, but nowadays I don't know what I'm allowed to say here.

View Quote

I don't see the big deal: anything germane to this incident should be fine within the CoC; going off half-cocked screaming "kill the pigs!  #CyclistsLivesMatter!" would not be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are we allowed to say about this??
View Quote

Fuck that cop. He should get his ass pouned by a gorilla in a cage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The taxpayers will pay.  Fucking evil taxpayers.  They need punishing for the actions of others.  Fucking racist taxpayers.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Not very well thought out - T
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's because it is a bullshit excuse. Look at the LAPD and other state agency regulations.

The Los Angeles Police Department .. have two officers in a car and officers are trained that “the passenger should be using the phone or (mobile digital computer),” said Cmdr. Andrew Smith, an LAPD spokesman.

The California Highway Patrol, which allows cellphone use only in “exigent circumstances,” directs field units to use their in-car computers for nonemergency incidents or inquiries only.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department goes further by banning texting while driving and restricts other cellphone use to urgent matters.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Cop wasn't fired, but did get some unspecified 'discipline.'

He must have remembered to yell, "Stop resisting!" while driving over the cyclist.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's the whole point of a negligence chart, is it not? Not that your action was inherent unlawful, but rather your performance of said duty was not keeping within a reasonable standard of due diligence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In after the lock.

That's the whole point of a negligence chart, is it not? Not that your action was inherent unlawful, but rather your performance of said duty was not keeping within a reasonable standard of due diligence.

In the Emergency Services world, we call it " Operating with Due Regard to Safety", meaning you can do what you need to do in an emergency situation, but if you fuck up or push your vehicle beyond its limits and injure/kill someone, you're on your own legally.

I don't know how this is applied to LE though, Us Fire/Rescue guys would be totally fucked if we did this.  My departments policy is immediate termination on the spot if you are caught playing with any type of communication device(except the unit radio in emergency situations, you don't have to look at the radio to use it, just key it up and give your size up) while driving, period.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not only did he kill Olin, he lied about it.  He initially claimed that Olin swerved in front of him.  Several days later when confronted with evidence that Olin was in the bike lane at all times, he changed his story.  Way to sWerve and protect.

View Quote

Fixed it for you.

FUCK! Now I'm on the list, shit.
Ohwell.jpg.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No comment.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#18]
lol. Justice at it's finest.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn.....I was ABOUT to say----last night IBTL when it was Locked.

The new kinder gentler Arfcom is a confusing land of political correctness run amock now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Enjoy your account lock. You're not allowed to say that around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
some animals are more equal than others

Enjoy your account lock. You're not allowed to say that around here.

When did that start?

It begins to seem as if every day there is a new thing we aren't allowed to say.

Who the fuck is making these decisions? It would be nice to know the rules before we violate them.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good, fuck bicycles, fuckin riding in their proper lanes and shit.

Good manslaughter.

Dont worry, he wasn't talking about the cop, so he won't get in trouble
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#23]
so what story did the outcome of a no criminal charge was used, the first story the whopper,  or the later true story. Seems someone may have used the wrong evidence in the investigation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I've read the thread. I'm still trying to figure out what the COC violation was....

... anyone?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He must have remembered to yell, "Stop resisting!" while driving over the cyclist.
View Quote

I think that means he gets to patrol in the ghetto now, that might be a good punishment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've read the thread. I'm still trying to figure out what the COC violation was....

... anyone?
View Quote

I'm curious too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No comment.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

... anyone?
View Quote

You're on the list, pal!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's the problem when you run someone over that has money. You aren't going to settle out of court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't speak for that agency but at mine the criminal side has to be disposed of, normally, before the administrative side can begin.  What that would mean is that just because he was found criminally innocent he will now be judged by department standards and guidelines.  I would assume that they have something about maintaining control of the patrol vehicle at all times and other similar policies which will cover this incident.  My guess is the deputy will be unemployed soon and the department's risk manager or insurance company will be cutting a check to keep the civil suit from happening.  Just a guess from my side of the blue line though.

That's the problem when you run someone over that has money. You aren't going to settle out of court.

Yes. What a miscarriage of justice that this asshole wasn't charged criminally.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#32]
so, it's ok for me to kill someone if i am working?

OK, seems legit.

TOTAL blue line BS.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Who is the new Mod?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure I can call him a goddamn piece of shit because that is based in his actions and not his identity as a police officer. I can also say that not being charged because the email was work related is top tier bullshit as is supporting that rule. Again, attacking actions not simple identity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
In before the second lock
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not normally a cop basher, but if I did that exact same thing, I'd be typing this from jail.

Hope the family gets a decent settlement.
View Quote

You'd be in jail because state law doesn't specifically exempt you from certain laws prohibiting using a computer when you drive. In this case, the law functioned exactly as designed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think that means he gets to patrol in the ghetto now, that might be a good punishment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wood is still employed as a sheriff’s deputy, though he transferred from patrol to the courts division shortly after the incident, having made the request about a year earlier.

They 'punished' him by finally giving him the transfer he'd been asking for.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'll take a shot at it....

The deputy should be charged.  What a department or state's policy is, or what exemptions they may have, doesn't substitute for morality.

Fact: Guy driving a car allowed something to distract him and that resulted in the death of someone who was just minding his own business.

I just can't imagine that the content of a email was worth the risk of hurting someone, much less was more important than a life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The deputy should be charged.  What a department or state's policy is, or what exemptions they may have, doesn't substitute for morality.

Fact: Guy driving a car allowed something to distract him and that resulted in the death of someone who was just minding his own business.

I just can't imagine that the content of a email was worth the risk of hurting someone, much less was more important than a life.

+1

Something like this is way outside the realm of qualified immunity.

He should be charged just like any other distracted driver.

Are the police routinely rolling down the road and checking their e-mail? WTF, over? Do distracted driving laws not apply to LE?

There is no degree of training that qualifies you to safely drive & read e-mail simultaneously.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you would abandon the rule of law in favor of feels based "morality". Slippery slope there.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#41]
To swerve and protect.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
some animals are more equal than others
View Quote

I'm sure if you or I killed a bike cop while checking a work related email, we wouldn't be charged either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#43]
On the one hand, seems like absolute reckless negligence, and should be charged accordingly.

On the other, if Bruce Gender can kill people with his automobile willy nilly, maybe we don't hold anyone accountable anymore?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You'd be in jail because state law doesn't specifically exempt you from certain laws prohibiting using a computer when you drive. In this case, the law functioned exactly as designed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not normally a cop basher, but if I did that exact same thing, I'd be typing this from jail.

The law functioned as designed?  Are you actually serious?

The law was not put in place to cover cops that recklessly and negligantly kill innocent people.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#45]
And the reason the deputy couldn't pull over and reply to the email is what?

Deputy should be charged with manslaughter and put in prison.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Probably all the evidence will come out in civil court and a better picture of the incident will emerge.

Officers doing their job have always had a certain level of immunity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, the law of prohibiting using devices in a vehicle is a separate law.

Just because it's not illegal for them to use devices while driving, doesn't mean they can run people over while doing so. What were people charged with before the device law existed?? Or was it ok for anyone to run over people on the road and it not be a crime?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#50]
No comment.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top