Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 1:02:49 AM EDT
If so, have you ever had problems with break-ins, vandalism, squatting, etc?
I'm currently looking for a small house on a few acres out in the country for a get-a-way and for retirement, but am worried about methheads and such.
Also, does it become more trouble than its worth trying to maintain two propertys after a while?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for personal curiosity
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've wondered how people secure things like cabins, too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. I had one in WV that was taken over by a squatter. Believe it or not, it took me over 2 months to evict him after which he sued me for $5000 for a garden he planted and couldn't harvest since he was evicted. He lost and I counter sued him; however, he didn't have anything so in the end I lost in travel fares, time spent and lawyer fees.
In the end, my house was burn't down, probably by him, although I couldn't prove it. The insurance paid off big time so in the end I won, but a lot of heartache in the meantime.
Don't do it unless you can watch it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
No firsthand experience....but second....my aunt and uncle had a lake cabin for just that thing...while they didn't have any problem (at the time...tenish years ago) with squatters and other undesirables they did have a huge problem with keeping coons and squirrels out....they found they spend more time fixing, cleaning and prepping all the crap they needed to haul up there to fix and clean than they did enjoying the place...

They ended up selling it and now rent a cabin when they want to go somewhere....now they don't have to mow, trim trees, clear the fallen tree off the drive...winterize, hire someone to grade the drive, fix and eradicate vermin...etc...not to mention all the incidental costs associated (all of these things were points that were brought up when I had this discussion with them as I was thinking about doing the same thing)

They said it's cheaper and more enjoyable to show up with everything done....leave when they are sick of being there and enjoy the time there instead of the time there fixing shit...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, want a place in Maine, should have bought years ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Break ins where my family has a place Ina lake are very common. They sit over the winter for months at a time ususally and commonly for long periods in the fall and spring. It just is what it is to an extent.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are only about 15 to 20 years late money wise ...

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If you shoot a squatter and hang him upside down on the porch the others stay away.

PRO TIP : It doesnt even have to be a squater they wont know the difference
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Put up a gate as far back from the property as possible. The gate needs placed where at least cars and trucks cannot easily bypass it (Use trees or a ditch or creek in proximity to the gate). You will never be able to stop atv's from getting around it, but at least try to keep the joy riding scum from a simple drive by robbery.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

22 years, in my case, specifically.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Had a lake place for a few years. Total pain in the butt. Never got to enjoy it as all trips there were just for maintenance.
Not to mention paying taxes, utilities, etc on a place that you essentially don't use. That was my experience anyway.

It was about a 2.5 hour drive to get there which also compounded the problem. What I'm considering now is 20-30 acres with no structures or utilities that is no more than 45 minutes away. Just a place to camp, shoot, ride dirt bikes, etc. This would be close enough to easily use and would be little to no maintenance. Later in life it could possibly be used as a retirement place. In the mean time it will be a cheap place to go play.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe cutting my nose off to spite my face, but I've lost all interest in a place on a lake in Maine. In general the weather sucks, water isn't great, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Had a lake place for a few years. Total pain in the butt. Never got to enjoy it as all trips there were just for maintenance.

Not to mention paying taxes, utilities, etc on a place that you essentially don't use. That was my experience anyway.

It was about a 2.5 hour drive to get there which also compounded the problem. What I'm considering now is 20-30 acres with no structures or utilities that is no more than 45 minutes away. Just a place to camp, shoot, ride dirt bikes, etc. This would be close enough to easily use and would be little to no maintenance. Later in life it could possibly be used as a retirement place. In the mean time it will be a cheap place to go play.
View Quote

I agree with this they end up being maintenance heavy, IMHO, so you spend a lot of your time their catching up on the day to day maintenance tasks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#14]
No issues here. Caboose helicoptered in the Sawtooth Mountains. We leave our doors open and canned food in the bunkhouse for travelers knowing there are some that are roam and live on the lamb. Not accessible in the winter by vehicle and left for weeks at a time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a lakehouse in Michigan that has been in my family for 30+ years.  It gets used maybe 15-20 weekends  a year and is closed down for most if not all of the winter. Have had issues over the years with theft and vandalism.  nothing to serious but some broken windows in my shed and theft of fishing gear.  Had my boat winterized on the trailer, went to open the place up for the summer and some shithead slashed the trailer tires.  Good neighbors have been my saving grace, but its a lakefront property so think lake community my neighbors are suburb close. The only thing that I have changed is I winter my boat in a garage now instead of in the "car" port. I took the window out of the shed and put some decent locks on the doors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Our fish-camp house is left alone for weeks at a time.

It is never locked as the door or windows would be busted.

But it is also never locked in case somebody needs to stay and get warm in a emergency.

A damn cousin keeps messing it up though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Buddy had a cabin on about 80 acres that was visited by us every month or so.  Locked it when we left every time. Now this was deer season but we entered with a gun in hand. Nothing more than mice....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a place on 110 acres, no trouble with thieves or squatters. It has satellite internet and cameras so I can keep an eye on everything. I'm beginning to feel like it's more trouble than it's worth, seems like I spend most of my time there doing maintenance on it and never being able to enjoy the place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No issues here. Caboose helicoptered in the Sawtooth Mountains. We leave our doors open and canned food in the bunkhouse for travelers knowing there are some that are roam and live on the lamb. Not accessible in the winter by vehicle and left for weeks at a time.
http://i.imgur.com/3h0VCL8.jpg?1
View Quote

Pretty cool.  What'd it take to have a caboose airlifted in? (Lots of cash I'm sure, but any other work needed?)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one about 7 hours away.  Originally was going to be our home but issues arose.  It's in a rather protected area being on the edge of town, close to PD/Sheriffs office, only a few higher dollar farms surrounding it and one road in or out.

I'm working on ipcams to enable monitoring from home.   I have several friends and family that check it for me irregularly.  Spoke to a few LEO's whom said no issues in that area for many years.  

Only have electric, water and web bills there and I'm killing most of the vegetation near the house.

Maintenance is a pain in the ass currently but due to our specific circumstances, no other painless avenue was available.  I hope to spend one to two weeks per month there by next spring.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:40:29 AM EDT
[#22]
tagged for interest..
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#23]
We have 60 acres an hour away with a trailer, enclosed carport and shed. The previous owner put up some fake cameras and a crappy un monitored alarm but no problems yet other than 4 wheelers not respecting private property.

We or my FIL make it up at least to drive by and check on things on an almost weekly basis and most the neighbors live there full time. I'm thinking I'm gonna invest in a real camera system and a cell tower monitored alarm.

Here we have a "clean and green" program that limits taxes on an undevoped piece of land so taxes are only like $350 a year I think it is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

My Bro in law used to be the town doctor in Stanley.

I love the Sawtooths.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#25]
My ex-FIL has a hunting camp upstate. It has been broken into several times and things stolen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have 60 acres an hour away with a trailer, enclosed carport and shed. The previous owner put up some fake cameras and a crappy un monitored alarm but no problems yet other than 4 wheelers not respecting private property.

We or my FIL make it up at least to drive by and check on things on an almost weekly basis and most the neighbors live there full time. I'm thinking I'm gonna invest in a real camera system and a cell tower monitored alarm.

Here we have a "clean and green" program that limits taxes on an undevoped piece of land so taxes are only like $350 a year I think it is.
View Quote

I would love about half that amount of land with a nice little trailer but this damn website is too expensive and I don't mean the membership
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#27]
We have a small cabin in Northern Pa.
It was broken into once. Odd thing is what was taken and what was not taken.

Toilet paper, cans of soup, snack crackers, fire starter sticks were taken.

What was not taken- power tools-electronics-ammunition were not taken.

Neighbors say there are people living in the woods in the area. I guess they got hungry in the deep winter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#28]
We have a FEMA trailer () down in the BFE near a lake on 40 acres. We own the largest section of land near the national forest. About .5 miles down is a nice, huge cabin for weekend getaways. The guy that owns it has 1 break in.

They stole a towel and left a note: "Boat sunk, Swam to shore and stole one of your towels. Sorry."

But seriously, we have a FEMA trailer. It was only $3000 until we build or move something nicer.

Can't have small pets there, unless you want to feed the eagles, which nest in the tall pine trees 50 yards from the trailer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes. I had one in WV that was taken over by a squatter. Believe it or not, it took me over 2 months to evict him after which he sued me for $5000 for a garden he planted and couldn't harvest since he was evicted. He lost and I counter sued him; however, he didn't have anything so in the end I lost in travel fares, time spent and lawyer fees.
In the end, my house was burn't down, probably by him, although I couldn't prove it. The insurance paid off big time so in the end I won, but a lot of heartache in the meantime.
View Quote

If you'd planted him in the garden you wouldn't have that trouble.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Where I live cabins are very popular. Break ins are common, maintenance is ongoing. The only people I know who enjoy it are the ones who put it in a rental program which include weakly checks, and cleaning after renters leave. Renters don't give a shit how they treat the property but the rental companies usually have the credit card numbers to pay for damages caused by renters.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Lake place here about 2hrs away.  Alarm and other neighbors watch out for each other.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
My family has maintained a lake cabin 1 hr away for 60+ yrs.  very few break ins or stuff missing, but it is truely in the middle of nowhere and has nothing valuable for anyone to take.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a trapping cabin 50 miles from the hi way....been vandalized by humans twice and by brown bears twice.....building shutters for the windows and bear boards for the doorway has pretty much solved the problem since, I also have game cams discreetly mounted so if it does get hit I can provide the troopers with pics of the culprits......

View out the front window...

Place is small, but quite comfy, have had 10 guys in it over a weekend once or twice...

Been home to a lot of good times over the years....

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Maintenance can be a pain. Last winter, my brother forgot to winterize. Lots of broken pipes.

As far as intentional damage, we've had none. We have a great neighbor down there who really looks after things
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a place on 110 acres, no trouble with thieves or squatters. It has satellite internet and cameras so I can keep an eye on everything. I'm beginning to feel like it's more trouble than it's worth, seems like I spend most of my time there doing maintenance on it and never being able to enjoy the place.
View Quote

We have 60 acres and a dry cabin. You hit the nail on the head about the non-stop maintenance. We have game cameras up in a couple places, neighbors that keep an eye on things so no issues after 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Have a small place in Maine.

It is important to keep it looking taken care of.  

1. If it actually has a lawn, mow it, or pay someone local to mow it.

2. If it needs painting, keep up with the painting.

We've had one incident of a kid who ran away from home kicking in the door and hanging around inside.  Did some minor damage carving in a door with a knife.

We've had one incident of kids throwing rocks and breaking the windows.

Both kids were local on the same road, so they were used to seeing no one in it often.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a log cabin on 60 acres.   Some years ago it was broken into and everything was taken.  Funny though they took the fridge but left the beer.   I had a metal gun cabinet bolted in one closet.  No guns in it, the shelf above the cabinet was cleaned out, they missed the keys, and destroyed the cabinet trying to get into it.  The cabin is a half mile off of the 'main' road with a locked gate.  No one saw anything.  Monroe county sheriff came out, took a look said that sucks and that was the end of it.  

A holes even took my deer antlers off of the wall.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Two homes is more than twice the risk (because you can't physically babysit both simultaneously).

The more remote your 2nd place is, the higher the risk.

You have to visit the place at least every couple months...things get dusty...animals/rodents do find a way in and you have to maintain stuff...

Motors (wells) need to be run so they don't seize up...

You didn't say where you or this 'cabin' is geographically...so climate may or may not be a huge issue...

So could property tax (MI has that penalty).

My parents cottage...the worse thing has been the neighbors stealing fire wood...but it isn't real remote...it's a lot near a lake.

My Grand Parents place has been broken into and vandalized sever times...their lace was a little more off the beaten path..

Don't leave anything you value unguarded.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I do.  

I never leave anything (of big value) inside it.  I take everything with me when I leave.  

I only have one neighbor (who is a good distance away) that keeps a good watch over the place when I leave
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where at in wv?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I guess we just got lucky. We're 2.5 miles down a dead in road and surrounded by full time Jar Head retirees at our weekend fishcamp. Everyone looks out for everyone else and no one has ever had any type of problem with outsiders. We keep a 24" LCD TV ($4.63 energy cost a year) on in a bedroom you can see from the road to keep any unwanted night time visitors wary. We also have a little AM radio on a timer that comes on after dark to keep the bears away.

Maintenance is what it is, goes with any rural property.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a place on a pond in Maine. I have not had issues with squatting or vandalism/theft but I don't keep anything there worth stealing. I don't even lock it. It gets used a lot during the summer but pretty much sits all winter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Dad bought the lot in 1968, started on the cabin in '72. Since then it has been broken into twice. First time the door was kicked in and nothing was missing maybe coffee. Second time was some .22LR shells and a large Lodge cast iron skillet, more than likely a druggie that they busted 3-4 months after that.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Not worth it if it is remote, IMHO.  A condo somewhere, OK.  

Every cabin I've seen in the last 20 years that is remote is in danger of squatters or vandalism to the point you can't leave anything nice in it.

I can't be comfortable knowing that I'm paying for a place and some meth heads are living in it or stealing my stuff.

I'd rather rent a cabin for a week if I need it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have a place in the WV mountains. It's on private road and none of the places up on the mountain are occupied year round.  It's out in the sticks and there isn't much of a population to begin with. But, the chance of break ins and theft are everywhere.

I probably spend more time up there than any of the other people that own places there, since I'm retired. Usually at least two full weeks every month during the spring,summer,fall months and I try to get there one week a month in the winter months if the weather allows.

I don't leave anything there that would get me pissed off if it was stolen. The chain saws, expensive weedeater, ect go back and forth with me every trip.  

As for maintaining two places,,,sure, it's more work. But the biggest PITA is draining all the water lines before I leave after every cold weather trip,even though it was plumbed for it. Still takes time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If so, have you ever had problems with break-ins, vandalism, squatting, etc?
I'm currently looking for a small house on a few acres out in the country for a get-a-way and for retirement, but am worried about methheads and such.
Also, does it become more trouble than its worth trying to maintain two propertys after a while?

I have a place in the WV mountains. It's on private road and none of the places up on the mountain are occupied year round.  It's out in the sticks and there isn't much of a population to begin with. But, the chance of break ins and theft are everywhere.

I probably spend more time up there than any of the other people that own places there, since I'm retired. Usually at least two full weeks every month during the spring,summer,fall months and I try to get there one week a month in the winter months if the weather allows.

I don't leave anything there that would get me pissed off if it was stolen. The chain saws, expensive weedeater, ect go back and forth with me every trip.  

As for maintaining two places,,,sure, it's more work. But the biggest PITA is draining all the water lines before I leave after every cold weather trip,even though it was plumbed for it. Still takes time.

Which set of mountains ? If you don't mind me asking
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a cabin on a private lake, but I am lucky since it is only 20min from my house.

It's not huge, but it's more of a small house than a cabin. 2 bedrooms, a loft, kitchen, living room, dining room 30ft x 45ft. It has electricity, Internet, TV...all that stuff.

I really only keep it for social reasons; I don't like having parties at my house, because I don't want people in my house.

There are about 50 other camps on the lake, so in summer time I don't worry about break ins. There is a heavy locked gate on my driveway.  In the winter, I just shut everything down and leave the security system running. I check in on it fairly often with my snowmobile. I make sure to try to check it prior to storms though, so that the fresh snow covers my tracks.

The only folks who have ever tried breaking in...were scumbag relatives.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#49]
We had a vacation home in Montana.  Made sure to turn off the indoor water when we left, it had a security system and we hired a local caretaker to check on the place, mow the lawn, etc.

No problems with squatters.

Eventually we got tired of the long drive and going to the same place all the time so we got rid of it.

I do miss it from time to time, but not enough to try it again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like this thought process. SSS

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top