Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#1]
you heard of the 21 foot rule for knives? a dog is even faster... they could f#&k you up before you could deploy any defense... pits that typically bite and hold are not as
bad as the breeds that slash and repeat...

OP - you are lucky - had the pit got your femoral artery, you would be in a bad place...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, glad it wasn't too bad and hope you get better soon.

And kudos for showing some class in the whole process.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Walked outside a second ago to grab my work laptop so I could actually do some work while I'm not at work, and I got stung by a fucking wasp. Animals of all kinds apparently hate me
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

]From the buzzer to the shot? Concealed? The reason I ask is because I teach people that professionally.  
View Quote

Of course not. When I'm "working". Glock 22 in a serpa

Concealed it is obviously much longer. Glock 27 in a comptac IWB. Still pretty damn quick though.

I've drilled "gunfighting" for the last 20 years. Getting the gun out I would argue is more important then grip and aim.

When I taught I came up with the acronym G.A.S.  And I told people that was order of importance. Grip. Aim. Squeeze.

The "squeeze" or trigger pull is the most important aspect and can overcome a shitty grip and aim "in the moment". But even a perfect grip and sight alignment can be fucked up and result in a miss with a real shitty trigger pull.

Of,course at "gunfight" distances (inside a phone booth) THE most important thing is get the gun out and fast!  

Just ask Geroge Zimmerman.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ghetto breed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Op was going to take the dogs daddy away, good bite from the dogs perspective.

Bad bite/bad no shoot from the man doing his job perspective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trash breed.

Trash owner.  Neither of mine would bite someone randomly like that.

Op was going to take the dogs daddy away, good bite from the dogs perspective.

Bad bite/bad no shoot from the man doing his job perspective.

2 sides to every story perspective

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks. How you get better quick.

After being bit, will you shoot the poodle first, and ask if it's a biter later?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you do when a pit bull starts humping your leg. You fake an orgasm.  Get well. Sounds like that deal could have been a lot worse.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Walked outside a second ago to grab my work laptop so I could actually do some work while I'm not at work, and I got stung by a fucking wasp. Animals of all kinds apparently hate me
View Quote

That's what you get for doing work while not at work.  Put the work down and relax OP, you got some healing to do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
he carved you up like a thanksgiving turkey...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let me try to explain what happened a little better.

Guy says "He'll bite you". I turn to the right and saw the dog approximately 15' away, at which point he charged. By the time I was backing up to create distance he was on me and I lifted my right leg to kick that fucker. He latched on and spun me on the loose gravel and I went down. I was trying to keep him away from my face/throat and he grabbed my left hip. Owner stepped in and I staggered back to my unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's this "I raised my leg to brace" business?  Do you mean you lifted one foot off the ground?  If so, that's probably why the dog knocked you down.  Honestly, having dealt with dogs my entire life I've never heard of that technique, and would consider it to be dangerous, as it gives the animal more easy access to your face and throat.

Glad you're ok, I hope you heal up fast!

Let me try to explain what happened a little better.

Guy says "He'll bite you". I turn to the right and saw the dog approximately 15' away, at which point he charged. By the time I was backing up to create distance he was on me and I lifted my right leg to kick that fucker. He latched on and spun me on the loose gravel and I went down. I was trying to keep him away from my face/throat and he grabbed my left hip. Owner stepped in and I staggered back to my unit.

I love this place.
So far we have
"I fought a pit hand to paw and picked up that sob and "through" it.  Man the fuck up op."
" I clear leather in 3/4 of a second and process shit in my mind in the same amount of time and would have ventilated that sob before he chomped me. Work on your draw and mindset op."
"wtf kinda technique is raising your leg op? That shit will get your throat ripped out. I bet Rhonda Rousey could kick your ass too with that 1 legged technique bullshit"

IMO you did great op
Survived the encounter will minimal damage considering.
Screwed up situation for sure.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Better man than me, I'd have shot it
View Quote

Yep, me too...

Glad your ok OP
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Needs more BJJ training.  ;)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha, and where exactly does one practice throwing a snarling dog.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, the good news is that you made it through a situation that could have gone much worse and you seem to be a man of good character. The bad news is that you are now on the secret list on the LEO forum for failing to kill a dog when justified .
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP, the good news is that you made it through a situation that could have gone much worse and you seem to be a man of good character. The bad news is that you are now on the secret list on the LEO forum for failing to kill a dog when justified .
View Quote

Well son of a bitch
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Concealed it is obviously much longer. Glock 27 in a comptac IWB. Still pretty damn quick though.

I've drilled "gunfighting" for the last 20 years. Getting the gun out I would argue is more important then grip and aim.

When I taught I came up with the acronym G.A.S.  And I told people that was order of importance. Grip. Aim. Squeeze.

The "squeeze" or trigger pull is the most important aspect and can overcome a shitty grip and aim "in the moment". But even a perfect grip and sight alignment can be fucked up and result in a miss with a real shitty trigger pull.

Of,course at "gunfight" distances (inside a phone booth) THE most important thing is get the gun out and fast!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

]From the buzzer to the shot? Concealed? The reason I ask is because I teach people that professionally.  

What's a phone booth?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably in Russia !
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#20]
my pit carved up a fool that snuck into my garage to try to steal my bike, she had access to the garage through a doggie door, cops caught the guy walking with bloody jeans, she did her job
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Too many cops shoot dogs when they don't have to. You didn't shoot when you should have. Y'all need to figure this shit out!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

More than likely. I cuffed him after he finished beating the dog, while bleeding from my leg. My back up unit was like WTF dude go sit down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was the owner charged with letting the animal be unrestrained?

More than likely. I cuffed him after he finished beating the dog, while bleeding from my leg. My back up unit was like WTF dude go sit down.

Arrested him for Animal Cruelty?  You might never have another chance to screw with a Judge like this might allow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Arrested him for Animal Cruelty?  You might never have another chance to screw with a Judge like this might allow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was the owner charged with letting the animal be unrestrained?

Kinda peeved I didn't get the credit for the actual arrest, considering I did take him into custody.

His warrant was $5k for a red light violation, plus he got hit with 3 parish ordinances, unrestrained dog, no VAC's, and the really obscure one about possessing a vicious or dangerous dog.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Went to an animal complaint, with the intent to also arrest the owner on an active warrant.

Made contact with perp, who I have a good rapore with. Asked if the dog got loose.

"Ya....watch out he's right there and he will bite you."

Turn ansee tan/white pit who proceeds to charge. I raise my right leg to brace, he latches onto my calf and takes me down. We scuffle, he bites my left hip,.

Owner comes to my aid grabbing him by the throat I scramble to my unit and radio for ems.

Just left the hospital with 10 stitches.

View Quote

This is my shocked face.

Hope you are ok.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Cleared by the Dr to return to duty, although I may pass off the animal complaints
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#26]
In an animal attack, shoot the owner then shoot the dog.  The owner is attacking with a deadly weapon.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Because it's an animal, they do dumb shit sometimes. He was obviously aware of the dogs temperament and made sure to warn me when I asked if his dog had gotten loose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still don't get why you aren't blaming perp for not controlling the dog.

Because it's an animal, they do dumb shit sometimes. He was obviously aware of the dogs temperament and made sure to warn me when I asked if his dog had gotten loose.
I respectfully disagree.

A dog that's a known biter should be put down regardless of breed.

That's the owners fault.

He knows it's disposition and keeps it around.

Now you bear the scars.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trash breed.

LOL

My baby would never bite anyone.....until they do......genetic roulette with pitbulls you never know what you got
till it goes off.....many dogs go lifetimes without going off.....but pitbulls are far far more likely to just go off one day
than any other breed of dog....

Dogs Bite Org
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Went to an animal complaint, with the intent to also arrest the owner on an active warrant.

Made contact with perp, who I have a good rapore with. Asked if the dog got loose.

"Ya....watch out he's right there and he will bite you."
Turn ansee tan/white pit who proceeds to charge. I raise my right leg to brace, he latches onto my calf and takes me down. We scuffle, he bites my left hip,.

Owner comes to my aid grabbing him by the throat I scramble to my unit and radio for ems.

Just left the hospital with 10 stitches.

View Quote

You didn't shoot the dog?
Fake

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Drink some water, take some motrin and get back to work.

Sheesh

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sorry about the bite, dude. That shit's never fun.

Sad for the dog, too. Trash owner didn't bother ensuring its safety or yours. Can't blame the dog for defending its turf or its owner, but I can damn sure blame its owner for putting it in that position in the first place.
View Quote

Agree.  Sounds like the owner doesn't have any sense at all about dogs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Drink some water, take some motrin and get back to work.

Sheesh

View Quote

Pffft, water, too damn watery tasting. I've been keeping my spot on the couch warm knocking out reports
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My sentiments as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You sound like a solid guy, I'm sorry you got hurt. Thanks for what you do.

This from me too.

My sentiments as well.

Add me to that list. Hope you heal quickly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I respectfully disagree.

That's the owners fault.

Now you bear the scars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still don't get why you aren't blaming perp for not controlling the dog.

I respectfully disagree.

That's the owners fault.

Now you bear the scars.

I keep my dogs BECAUSE they bite.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top