Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 9:43:11 AM EDT
So the G36 ain't all its cracked up to be.
And they replace an HK with...another HK?

And switched to 7.62x51mm. Interesting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/29/breaking-bundeswehr-accepts-hk417-as-temporary-replacement-for-g36-with-front-line-troops/
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If you hate something enough to shoot it, shoot it with 7.62.

what the fuck is a 7.29?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

what the fuck is a 7.29?

View Quote

Oops! My bad...corrected. I guess i was thinking 7.62x29 for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So the G36 ain't all its cracked up to be.
And they replace an HK with...another HK?

And switched to 7.62x51mm. Interesting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/29/breaking-bundeswehr-accepts-hk417-as-temporary-replacement-for-g36-with-front-line-troops/
View Quote

the 417 is a excellent rifle..... hopefully if the UN ever decides to help obama confiscate our guns, they send germany to do it.... id like to have a nice k&k collection.

fuck all those rusty third world ak's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what the fuck is a 7.29?

WTF is 7.62x29?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WTF is 7.62x29?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what the fuck is a 7.29?

WTF is 7.62x29?

LOL! I'm on a roll this morning! It's the new caliber developed for the new Glock carbine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting they opted for a 7.62.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It's only 600 HK417s, so it's hardly a sweeping change.  I assume that by going to "front line" troops these guns are going to Germans in Afghanistan?  Maybe they thought 7.62x51 made more sense over there than 5.56.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them try to swap over to the 416 for the overall swap.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, I didn't realize they made a 13" 417.  That's neat.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
7.29X62 ftw
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
7.36x3a

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Did I read that right? 18 million Euros for 600 guns? 30,000 Euros each? Even if it was 600 417's and 600 "machine guns" 15,000 Euros each?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Like I said in the other thread - makes sense as they have tons of 308 in stock since before the G36 they had G3. That also makes them comparable in weight.

I also expect the Hk416 to be the replacement for the G36.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like I said in the other thread - makes sense as they have tons of 308 in stock since before the G36 they had G3. That also makes them comparable in weight.

View Quote

They should just bring back the G3.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Too late, they gave all the G3s away.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Odd that many of us who own G36 clones have been unable to duplicate the problems reported by the German press-- not that the 416 isn't an excellent design. I wonder what the Bundeswehr pays for them per copy?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Odd that many of us who own G36 clones have been unable to duplicate the problems reported by the German press-- not that the 416 isn't an excellent design. I wonder what the Bundeswehr pays for them per copy?
View Quote

Yeah, you know, cause you guys use yours in combat in austere and hot environments
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]
More likely a DMR procurement chalked up as a solution to the G36 to feed the press something positive about H&K.

German press has been going after H&K lately with a rabid fervor for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

More likely a DMR procurement chalked up as a solution to the G36 to feed the press something positive about H&K.

German press has been going after H&K lately with a rabid fervor for some reason.
View Quote

No one wants their soldiers dying, save for those hippie tree-hugging sock cuckers who believe anything military is against their dreams of world peace.

So it makes sense that press would be going after a company that's been peddling a faulty product since the 90s until now did it's faults reveal itself in the eyes of the public.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd say that selling the German govt and military on a rifle who's single biggest success has been as a prop gun in futuristic movies is a valid reason to be a little grumpy with H&K.

I'm just grumpy the German government won't let them export more cool stuff to the US, and at ours for the import ban on their guns in the first place.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
LOL! I'm on a roll this morning! It's the new caliber developed for the new Glock carbine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what the fuck is a 7.29?

WTF is 7.62x29?

Ok, now you have my attention...

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

pretty much this.  granted im not doing beta mag dumps back to back to back.  but if shot PLENTY off ammo in 1 range trip through my clone and not 1 issue let alone the groupings opening up as bad as they say it is.

Im sure its more the German mil saying "wtf...america is using the 416/417 and we r using something from the 80's.... lets bitch and get the newer version"
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
pretty much this.  granted im not doing beta mag dumps back to back to back.  but if shot PLENTY off ammo in 1 range trip through my clone and not 1 issue let alone the groupings opening up as bad as they say it is.

Im sure its more the German mil saying "wtf...america is using the 416/417 and we r using something from the 80's.... lets bitch and get the newer version"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Germans have a very top-down engineering approach.  The boss says, "It must have these features, and meet exactly these specifications."  So that's how they design it, even if changing the spec 10% would mean the thing could be 50% lighter/cheaper/more reliable.

Anchoring the trunnion in plastic is a poor design decision likely driven by a top-down requirement that "the gun must be 80-something percent polymer".  That's the spec, so that's how it gets designed.  Those poor engineers probably moved heaven and earth to find a fiber-reinforced polymer that would perform even marginally in that role.  

On the other hand, using a skeletonized metal frame overmolded with polymer in the load-bearing areas would have changed the spec, but corrected the heat-related structural issues with the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got two post samples here,  give me three mags for each and I can get them both hot enough to pattern like a fucking shotgun.

Junk weapon. I'm just glad I only paid 1200 for each and don't have 4-5k in a semi auto knock-off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've got two post samples here,  give me three mags for each and I can get them both hot enough to pattern like a fucking shotgun.

Junk weapon. I'm just glad I only paid 1200 for each and don't have 4-5k in a semi auto knock-off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, full choke or no?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top