BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Weapons that always hit what you aim at are good, but they have an Achilles heel: you aren't always aiming them to the right place and sometimes a miss is more effective than a hit. Yeah, blowing up the ball bearing factory helped the war effort, but ravaging large sections of major cities told the krauts that saw it, that they were defeated. Since the common use of smart weapons we've had a poor track record of convincing enemy populations that they've been beaten. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I beg to differ.  Someone starts popping off nine 16" guns in my direction, I might get lucky.

Someone plants an AGM-114 right where I am, I don't need luck, I need Jesus, Mohammed, the Ahura Mazda, Ishvara, Odin, and/or a healthy dose of enthusiastic ancestors, depending on my faith.

Weapons that always hit what you aim at are good, but they have an Achilles heel: you aren't always aiming them to the right place and sometimes a miss is more effective than a hit. Yeah, blowing up the ball bearing factory helped the war effort, but ravaging large sections of major cities told the krauts that saw it, that they were defeated. Since the common use of smart weapons we've had a poor track record of convincing enemy populations that they've been beaten. I don't think that's a coincidence.

-You are a fool if you don't think we have weapons in our inventory that destroy entire grid squares. MLRS, heavy artillery, B2 bombers, MOAB, etc. If we want to fuck up a kilometer square area all we have to do is press the right button. How exactly does a BB make that any more effective?

-We dropped more ordinance on Vietnam than in the entirety of our involvement in WW2 and we still didn't beat the North Vietnamese.

-World War 2 was fought between uniformed armies who had defined goals. Killing civilians was generally limited to those participating in manufacturing of war goods and was a result of the inaccurate munitions of the day. If Army Air Force had precision munitions they would have been used primarily for destroying as much infrastructure as possible. The bomber crew loses were so great because it took so many to bomb single targets.

-Modern wars have been fought against insurgencies with relatively few pitched battles. It is essentially a game of whack-a-mole. When 5% of the population is hiding in a hole out in the desert launching hit and run attacks...how exactly does bombing a nearby city solve anything? It actually drives a wedge between that population and us....and makes the 5% look like good guys.

-Anyone who suggests the open slaughter of civilians, including women and children, deserves to be banished from this site.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I love battleships, but honestly, what would be the point? A 24 mile range just means you have to be within that range to hit anything. Doesn't really cover a lot of territory... we have much better options these days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
USS Missouri, during the first Gulf War. Tomahawks, CIWS, 16" guns.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A little off subject but would it be possible to use a small torpedo to defend against a ship killing torpedo?
\If so then why not develop them into an active torpedo defense?

If not then what would be the reason?
View Quote

Aegis Ashore exists, so yeah, why not Aegis Below
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Big and slow in an age of stealth and speed - Is someone looking for a perfect new trillion dollar boondoggle/shipbuilding subsidy?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Big and slow in an age of stealth and speed - Is someone looking for a perfect new trillion dollar boondoggle/shipbuilding subsidy?
View Quote

Bigger does not necessarily mean slower. Our carriers are some of the fastest ships in the fleet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ETA:  Watervliet Arsenal still has the machinery to produce 16" guns.  Mothballed, they have the machines turned on once a month just to keep them in ready status.
View Quote

No they don't - and they have produced a Naval Gun in well over 20 years.

(Former WVA employee)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Watervliet is an impressive place. You can see some of the giant barrels alongside the building as you drive by on 787.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
During WW II the Italian battleship Roma was sunk by a wire guided missile.  Battleships are very expensive and you can't put heavy armor everywhere aboardship.

ETA:  Watervliet Arsenal still has the machinery to produce 16" guns.  Mothballed, they have the machines turned on once a month just to keep them in ready status.

Watervliet is an impressive place. You can see some of the giant barrels alongside the building as you drive by on 787.

It's a hollow shell.  I bet it will be BRACed in the next round.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good grief.  Fully read the linked article OP.
View Quote

Pretty sure that never ever happens.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
IMHO, these new magnetic rail guns might bring us something "battleship like."
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Dad was a Machinist Mate first class, number 4 engine room.

USS Wisconsin BB64.
View Quote

Cool! I did my midshipman cruise on the Wisconsin.  I liked that ship.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nuclear subs full of cruise missiles make way, way more sense.
View Quote

You can shoot down/countermeasure a cruise missile but not so much a gazillion miles an hour magnetic rail gun round. I can see a "heavy cruiser" type platform with this new tech.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Fairly good article.

I would not bring back the battleships as they were, even in their latest iteration.  But I would advocate bringing something better.   A battleship is a big beast.  They are very survivable and can take a good bit of damage compared to other ships.  How many hits did it take to sink Yamato?  

Their size allows for more honeycombing, more watertight compartments.  Make a trade - get rid of the heavy armor, increase the speed, make them nuclear powered.  

Add in the latest and greatest defensive, offensive weapons.   Add in lots of Goal Keeper and Sea RAM.  Imagine how much a BB could carry if you removed a lot of armor and those huge guns.  Add in the latest harpoon variant and cruise missiles. Like the article says, they could be a great area denial asset.   It would carry drones for second layer of defense away from the ship, and for early warning systems.   You wouldn't armor the whole thing, but would depend on active defenses for most protection.  You could focus the latest layered armor on the reactor/engine/propulsion/command systems in case something snuck past the denses.  

Pair this ship with a few attack subs and then park it close to whoever is giving you trouble.   It would act like the battleships of old.  It would function to focus the enemies attention on itself and away from other assets, but it would have the defensive capability to deal with threats.  There shouldn't be any reason that a new vessel couldn't mostly be automated with a skeleton crew - less crew, less food, less human needs.   Run a relatively closed system network to prevent electronic tampering.  

Getting carried away I guess, but that is what I see as a new generation BB.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the program to replace the Ticonderoga-class still in place or was it canceled?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bigger does not necessarily mean slower. Our carriers are some of the fastest ships in the fleet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct on the speed of carriers, but between subs and missiles I shudder to think about how much armor would be necessary to make a modern battleship viable - and if you don't add the "come at me bro" armor, isn't that the definition of a cruiser?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You can shoot down/countermeasure a cruise missile but not so much a gazillion miles an hour magnetic rail gun round. I can see a "heavy cruiser" type platform with this new tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nuclear subs full of cruise missiles make way, way more sense.

Because I have zero knowledge of such things, how does the recoil impulse of a hypervelocity rail gun compare to that of a regular 16" Naval Rifle?  I'm wondering how much bulk would be needed to keep the platform stable during firing.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fairly good article.

I would not bring back the battleships as they were, even in their latest iteration.  But I would advocate bringing something better.   A battleship is a big beast.  They are very survivable and can take a good bit of damage compared to other ships.  How many hits did it take to sink Yamato?  

Their size allows for more honeycombing, more watertight compartments.  Make a trade - get rid of the heavy armor, increase the speed, make them nuclear powered.  

Add in the latest and greatest defensive, offensive weapons.   Add in lots of Goal Keeper and Sea RAM.  Imagine how much a BB could carry if you removed a lot of armor and those huge guns.  Add in the latest harpoon variant and cruise missiles. Like the article says, they could be a great area denial asset.   It would carry drones for second layer of defense away from the ship, and for early warning systems.   You wouldn't armor the whole thing, but would depend on active defenses for most protection.  You could focus the latest layered armor on the reactor/engine/propulsion/command systems in case something snuck past the denses.  

Pair this ship with a few attack subs and then park it close to whoever is giving you trouble.   It would act like the battleships of old.  It would function to focus the enemies attention on itself and away from other assets, but it would have the defensive capability to deal with threats.  There shouldn't be any reason that a new vessel couldn't mostly be automated with a skeleton crew - less crew, less food, less human needs.   Run a relatively closed system network to prevent electronic tampering.  

Getting carried away I guess, but that is what I see as a new generation BB.  
View Quote

9-12 bombs and 7-12 torpedoes.  Though the bomb hits were survivable, and it was really 5-6 torpedoes that did her in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
isnt the DDG-1000 only a few feet shorter than some of the BB's that were anchored at Pearl Harbor?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good grief.  Fully read the linked article OP.

Can you imagine the costs involved in all that nonsense?  I suspect it might end up a respectable fraction of the total GDP.

But let's ignore that for a moment, in fact, let's ignore a whole bunch of stuff, and think on a little thought experiment, with numbers admittedly yanked out of my behind, because there's really no baseline in reality to get really good figures from.

Let's pretend that someone, somewhere, comes up with a revolutionary design for a modern battleship.  This thing's got armor, active and passive defense systems, a good new gun system for naval gunfire support, good missile capacity, and the tech and electronic warfare suites needed to employ those missiles for everything possible, BMD, ASW, AAD, ASuW, land attack, everything.  Let's figure this thing, which you know is going to have be pretty darn expensive, manages to do everything, and is equivalent to, oh, let's say 12 DDGs.  That's right, this thing can handle the job of a dozen DDGs, and somehow, through some magic of accounting, let's say it actually manages to only cost what 6 DDGs would.

So, there we go, we got us a battleship.

Now, how many do we need?  

Ya gotta figure we'll be needing one on each coast, right?  So there's 2.  And we're probably gonna need one in the Med or the Persian Gulf area, and there's the Indian Ocean, so there's another 2.  And we're probably gonna want at least one more for unknown contingencies, so let's make it 5 in total.  5 battleships in operation at any one time.  Now, since ships don't have warp drive, we gotta account for travel times to wherever each ship is to be deployed, and we also have to figure in the maintenance and refit schedules, along with periodic complete overhauls, so we're really gonna need 3 of these for each one we want deployed, so we're probably gonna need 15 of these battleships.  

So there we go, we've got 15 battleships, with 5 deployed at any given time.  Which is great until we need to address some emergency, or if we get into a fight with someone and lose one---because losing one wouldn't be like losing a DDG---remember, we've got far fewer of these things.

But for the cost of that, we could have 90 DDGs (which you might note is 28 more than we actually have,) which can be deployed and used in a much more flexible fashion.

So no, it is not time to bring back the battleships, even if all we look at is cost and flexibility, and ignore all the other stuff which has been hashed out here before by the actual naval personnel on this board with far more experience and knowledge than I, some of whom will probably poke some holes in what I just wrote as well.
isnt the DDG-1000 only a few feet shorter than some of the BB's that were anchored at Pearl Harbor?

Heck, Zumwalt is 17 feet longer than Oklahoma was.  What's that got to do with anything?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is the program to replace the Ticonderoga-class still in place or was it canceled?
View Quote

Yes and no.  CG-X was cancelled, but more Burkes are being ordered to replace the current CGs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No.

Modern warfare isn't done with naval cannon. It's done with cruise missiles that do pop-up maneuvers at terminal and drop down on the the thin 2-3" thick top decks with a few thousand pounds of high explosive in a missile 25 feet long weighing hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds moving at hundreds of miles an hour. One modern missile would destroy a battleship stem to stern ... and throw the mechanical computers used to plot those guns out of calibration.
View Quote

10 harpoons couldnt sink Uss Guam a 19k ton amphibus assault ship.

Do you know what it takes ? Yamato took 19 bomb and 17 torpedos. Musashi took similar punishment. Kirishimi took 22 16 inch shellscand 42 five inch hits. Bismark took 400 hits of various calibers. Tirpiz took 3 12k lb tall boys.

It takes alot to sink a large modern warship. A couple of missles will wound it but not sink it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Do you know what it takes ? Yamato took 19 bomb and 17 torpedos. Musashi took similar punishment. Kirishimi took 22 16 inch shellscand 42 five inch hits. Bismark took 400 hits of various calibers. Tirpiz took 3 12k lb tall boys.

It takes alot to sink a large modern warship. A couple of missles will wound it but not sink it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Modern warfare isn't done with naval cannon. It's done with cruise missiles that do pop-up maneuvers at terminal and drop down on the the thin 2-3" thick top decks with a few thousand pounds of high explosive in a missile 25 feet long weighing hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds moving at hundreds of miles an hour. One modern missile would destroy a battleship stem to stern ... and throw the mechanical computers used to plot those guns out of calibration.

Serious question: why did the Argies have such (relative) success with their Exocets during the Falklands?  Did the Brits put so much faith in their air defense capabilities that they decided not to armor their ships?  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

In the age of missiles something big and slow doesn't do you much. When was the last time two navies even opened up on each other with cannons? WWII would be my guess.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread needs more Arsenal Ship...

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]
A modern bb would have some fucking awesome murica fuck yeah factor but i would go a different route.

First just slap rail guns on carriers.

The second would be a highly advanced nuclear powered ship with submarine capabilities fuck bringing the armor with you. Make a super fast sub maybe it hydrofoils and goes faster than anything floating gets on site fires rail guns submerge pop up somewhere else more rail guns.

How about some super fast drone swarm carriers. Skeleton crew lots of active defense thousands of inexpensive drones. Lose too manyd rones have a supply ship deliver more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

But how well would those ships hold up to the Sunburn missile that the Russkies are proliferating? It's supersonic and has a significantly larger warhead than a Harpoon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Any ship in the Persian gulf or strait of Taiwan would be rained down on with thousands of missles, torpedoes and guns of every type.
The capitol ship's will be the main target's.
No armor can survive a kinetic weapon.

Distance is how we measure defense today.  Not in inches of armor but how many miles can you stand off from the enemies defenses but still strike them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Mission kill doesn't require sinking
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In the age of missiles something big and slow doesn't do you much. When was the last time two navies even opened up on each other with cannons? WWII would be my guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

More like Dubya Dubya One.  Arfcom, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there were ANY battleship-to-battleship encounters in WWII.  It was all aircraft vs. ships.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

More like Dubya Dubya One.  Arfcom, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there were ANY battleship-to-battleship encounters in WWII.  It was all aircraft vs. ships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Battle of Samar had a little bit of everything including some flat out tin can heroism
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Closest thing I can think of is the engagements in Ironbottom Sound off Guadalcanal, and the battle off Samar.  I think all those involved smaller US vessels, though.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

There were multiple battleship versus battleship encounters in World War II.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Fuck me, I totally forgot about the Bismark and the Graf Spee.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Battle of Samar had a little bit of everything including some flat out tin can heroism
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

The survivors of Pearl Harbor, California, Tennessee, and West Virginia, crossed the fucking Japanese T.  Get some
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Leyte Gulf, Guadalcanal, and the Sinking of the Bismarck come to mind

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Serious question: why did the Argies have such (relative) success with their Exocets during the Falklands?  Did the Brits put so much faith in their air defense capabilities that they decided not to armor their ships?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

serious answer.

they didn't have great success with the exocets. infact the missiles sucked. they managed to sink Hms Sheffield a type 42 destroyer which was a 4800 ton ship and the Atlantic Conveyor a civilian container ship of 14k tons.

of the six ships lost 2 were by missle and 4 by A-4s dropping bombs. the brits found out the hardway why air superiority is a must.
http://www.naval-history.net/F62-Falklands-British_ships_lost.htm
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't think they should bring back battleships, per se, but a much more robust zumwalt that included bigger guns, more automation, and a smaller crew would be sweet. We have limited sustained bombardment capabilities in the Navy these days. I'd like to see a 1000lb class warhead and some cool new range extending tech. Cruise missiles are great, but they are also very expensive one use only tech. Guns can pound away for days on end. Few things more demoralizing to an enemy than near-constant shelling

Also, the super zum would be more able to take hits. It's all cool to say "it can do x, y, and z so it doesn't get hit!", but in war, shit happens and your shit will always get hit. It's inevitable. So yeah, give it great defenses, but also give it good old fashioned armor, and lots of it. Especially since we will soon be in an era in which swarms of drones will likely use smallish weapons. If you're going to be survivable, you gotta be able to take hits.

As far as subs go, they don't magically make surface ships obsolete. Not until they have working super cvitating torpedoes anyway...

View Quote

Again, when are we goung to run into a situation where we do an opposed beach landing on a scale so large to require such firepower?  The American public goes haywire over 30 military deaths - you really think modern day operations would risk the lives of 3000+ personnel just to gain a foothold?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But how well would those ships hold up to the Sunburn missile that the Russkies are proliferating? It's supersonic and has a significantly larger warhead than a Harpoon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

no it doesn't. depending on the varient its 250-320 KG vs the 221 of a harpoon. it is super sonic with a shorter flight time. considering a cwis can hit a tiny mortar shell I'm guessing that *if* the targets active defense is up it could be killed. thing about planes is once you start shooting at them they tend to manuver and throw up counter measures. missiles don't.

the fact is if you wanna sink a ship you bring airplanes with bombs and subs with torpedos. or you get into knife fight range and shoot big holes in them with large guns. planes are cheaper with more range.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#44]
FREE DPORT!!

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
FREE DPORT!!

View Quote

Speaking of, what happened to him?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Honestly we could replace the most of our navy with drones.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Again, when are we goung to run into a situation where we do an opposed beach landing on a scale so large to require such firepower?  The American public goes haywire over 30 military deaths - you really think modern day operations would risk the lives of 3000+ personnel just to gain a foothold?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think they should bring back battleships, per se, but a much more robust zumwalt that included bigger guns, more automation, and a smaller crew would be sweet. We have limited sustained bombardment capabilities in the Navy these days. I'd like to see a 1000lb class warhead and some cool new range extending tech. Cruise missiles are great, but they are also very expensive one use only tech. Guns can pound away for days on end. Few things more demoralizing to an enemy than near-constant shelling

Also, the super zum would be more able to take hits. It's all cool to say "it can do x, y, and z so it doesn't get hit!", but in war, shit happens and your shit will always get hit. It's inevitable. So yeah, give it great defenses, but also give it good old fashioned armor, and lots of it. Especially since we will soon be in an era in which swarms of drones will likely use smallish weapons. If you're going to be survivable, you gotta be able to take hits.

As far as subs go, they don't magically make surface ships obsolete. Not until they have working super cvitating torpedoes anyway...

look man I love battleships but the fact is 20 F/A-18s with Jdams is going to do a hell of alot more damage than a BB shelling a beach. here is an example of battleship accuracy. when Bismark sank Hood they fired five salvos and got lucky at long range and hit Hoods forward magazine with one round blowing up the ship. When Washington sand Kirsihima they fired 75 rounds of 16 inch and scored an unprecedented 22 hits that was from just 8400 yards while Kirsihima was back light by burning destroyers and the Washington's radar was functioning.

pill boxes. missile emplacements, arty can and will be neutralized by air power.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
serious answer.

they didn't have great success with the exocets. infact the missiles sucked. they managed to sink Hms Sheffield a type 42 destroyer which was a 4800 ton ship and the Atlantic Conveyor a civilian container ship of 14k tons.

of the six ships lost 2 were by missle and 4 by A-4s dropping bombs. the brits found out the hardway why air superiority is a must.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

serious answer.

I didn't realize that dumb bombs accounted for most of the sinkings.  The Exocet got some serious hype out of that war.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]
We need Orion battleships.  *g*   About 800 sub kiloton blasts to get it up to a 300 mile orbit in six minutes.   Have the rest of the magazine loaded down with neutron bombs to EMP entire regions back to the stone age, and maybe a dozen Casaba howitzers for space combat.   Take and hold the high ground.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Eh, mixed emotions.  As a combat ship to engage other military powers? Not really.  

As a mobile bombardment platform against 3rd world nobodies who lack significant military counter-capabilities?  Well...maybe.  It would tough to sink one with an explosives loaded rubber boat, which tends to be the more common actual threat.
As an intimidating projection of US military power against those countries - maybe.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top