BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree with this, although I don't think it answers the question.  Certainly, suicide, like any other sin, is not an act of faith in God's promises.  Suicide is sin, make no mistake.  Don't do it.

The question then becomes, "Does suicide prove a lack of saving faith, that is, that the person is not born again or has fallen away, and is apart from God's grace in Jesus?"

Only God knows the heart.  I do believe that Christians, for various reasons, might commit this sin in weakness, although they have not lost faith.  Jesus died for that sin too.  I do believe that some suicides are in heaven and plenty more are in hell.  "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. He that believeth not shall be damned."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It always amazes me when a question such as this one is asked and all the atheists have to come in and be as insulting as they can be.  If you don't believe there is a Heaven, then why participate in a thread about Heaven?

To answer your question.......Your poll is bad.

Jesus told us who would go to Heaven.

"You MUST be born again."  If a person has been born again, that is born spiritually, then they are Saved and will go to Heaven when they die.  Committing suicide is a sin, but so are many other things we all do every day. But Jesus paid for ALL of a Christian's sins.

If a person is not born again and Saved, then they will not go to Heaven, regardless of how they die.  That is what the Bible teaches.

I agree with this, although I don't think it answers the question.  Certainly, suicide, like any other sin, is not an act of faith in God's promises.  Suicide is sin, make no mistake.  Don't do it.

The question then becomes, "Does suicide prove a lack of saving faith, that is, that the person is not born again or has fallen away, and is apart from God's grace in Jesus?"

Only God knows the heart.  I do believe that Christians, for various reasons, might commit this sin in weakness, although they have not lost faith.  Jesus died for that sin too.  I do believe that some suicides are in heaven and plenty more are in hell.  "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. He that believeth not shall be damned."

Amen
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting topic.  As much I'd love to believe there is mercy for those whom are mentally ill (I have an in-law who was on medication who took his own life, causing far reaching and long lasting pain for those who love him). We only have the bible and words of Jesus on the topic.  I wanted to quote a passage about Judas howling in hell, but couldn't find it and don't want to misquote it.  In short I believe no.  Judas had the chance to repent for betraying Christ.  He didn'trepent. The act of betraying Jesus didn't doom him.  He could have repented for his suicide as he hung himself.  He didnt.  Jesus knew judas's fate and heart.  That's why he prophecied about how bad it would be for him.  Judas despaired and didn't leave things up to God. That's why he was doomed.  I have to go with that.  No matter how bad shit has gotten in life, I've always tied a knot at the end of life's rope that I was slipping down and hung on.  Things have always gotten better.  

this guy has a good read on the topic.  I found it while googling for that passage.. Hang in there.  No pun intended.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We do not know the state of their relationship with God when they die.  Nor do we know the extent of God's mercy.

That said, Catholic's view suicide as a serious sin.  Serious sin, done with knowledge it is serious and done freely is mortal sin - which severs a person's relationship with God.  For a long time the Catholic position was that suicide was about as cut and dry of case as possible.  Now we understand mental illness better - and recognize most likely many/most suicidal people are not acting with free will.
View Quote

This.  If a person has developed some type of mental illness that prevents them from realizing the gravity of what they're doing, I'd say God in His infinite wisdom would likely extend mercy.  An otherwise believing person could also pull the trigger, then in their last few seconds of life, reach out to God and beg forgiveness.  Theoretically, even Hitler could have done this as he lay dying.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree.

Even bliss would get boring.  I can certainly see why people though reincarnation would be better.  At least there might be some novelty to it.  

View Quote

I think there is a buddhist school of thought that finds even reincarnation distasteful. Living life after life may sound good on the face of it, but a lot of people recoil at the thought of having to suffer the indignities of growing old and sick, of losing friends and family and everything one holds dear again and again, of dying a million painful deaths, lifetime after lifetime. Better to make a clean end of things, some people feel
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
No.....then again I don't believe in a heaven/hell setup.  Everyone dies dead now and gets a new shot at it all later on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How do you know he did?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This may come as a shock to millions of God-fearing Christians, but "going to heaven" is not really a thing . . . at least not in the Bible anyway. The Jews of the Old Testament did not believe in a "heaven" afterlife -- at least not the way most modern Christians understand it. Jesus talked about the kingdom of heaven COMING to you and heaven being IN you. Likewise, if you really read the scriptures, you'll see that hell is also a condition of the mind. Heaven and Hell are something you experience while you're alive and conscious. Heaven is having Christ/God dwell in you. Hell is being separated from God. You're only aware of this while you're physically alive. As the wise man said, "there is no thought . . . in the grave where thou goest."

So, no, people who commit suicide don't "go" to heaven because 1.) there is no afterlife heaven to go to and  B.) they did not know heaven while they were alive. They committed suicide because they were tormented. They committed suicide because they were in hell while they were alive. Physically dying changes the condition of man only because dying ends life. There is no thought in the grave so heaven and hell -- like all other thoughts -- cease to exist. There is NOTHING.

Suicide is the final act of a person who is in hell. The only way to get "to" heaven is to stay alive and work through the hell in your mind. You must put off the old man of hell and put on the new man of heaven. Enjoy it while it last because there is nothing else. . . .

uh huh. If that were true, why did Jesus tell the thief next to him on the cross that today he will be with him in paradise?

How do you know he did?

There were witnesses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think there is a buddhist school of thought that finds even reincarnation distasteful. Living life after life may sound good on the face of it, but a lot of people recoil at the thought of having to suffer the indignities of growing old and sick, of losing friends and family and everything one holds dear again and again, of dying a million painful deaths, lifetime after lifetime. Better to make a clean end of things, some people feel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

Even bliss would get boring.  I can certainly see why people though reincarnation would be better.  At least there might be some novelty to it.  

Oblivion for the ego (personality), is the ultimate goal.   Getting off the dharma wheel of rebirth.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting topic.  As much I'd love to believe there is mercy for those whom are mentally ill (I have an in-law who was on medication who took his own life, causing far reaching and long lasting pain for those who love him). We only have the bible and words of Jesus on the topic.  I wanted to quote a passage about Judas howling in hell, but couldn't find it and don't want to misquote it.  In short I believe no.  Judas had the chance to repent for betraying Christ.  He didn'trepent. The act of betraying Jesus didn't doom him.  He could have repented for his suicide as he hung himself.  He didnt.  Jesus knew judas's fate and heart.  That's why he prophecied about how bad it would be for him.  Judas despaired and didn't leave things up to God. That's why he was doomed.  I have to go with that.  No matter how bad shit has gotten in life, I've always tied a knot at the end of life's rope that I was slipping down and hung on.  Things have always gotten better.  

this guy has a good read on the topic.  I found it while googling for that passage.. Hang in there.  No pun intended.
View Quote

Thank you.
I will read more in depth latter as time permits.
Cursory examination looks good to me though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Did'nt read everyones responces. Gotta go but What is Suicide? Me I see at least two kinds. To keep it simple, the selfish & unselfish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe that you understand little about the physical after-life in the kingdom of God.

View Quote

Explain it to me.  What's it like?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

Man, I would recoil like an old 10 gauge scatter gun..
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, because heaven is a manmade fantasy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

could you provide scriptural reference

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

There is a level in hell just for suicides. An endless tournament of snapping limbs.

could you provide scriptural reference

Canto XIII

http://www.online-literature.com/dante/inferno/13/
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nobody goes to heaven. There is no heaven.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]

I get it. Those words over a goofy looking photo. Clever.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on the person. Generally yes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Judging by that poll and some of these answers if you were honestly curious I would only care about what the Bible says.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think he's trying to sell an insult.  

...I could be wrong.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been taught that suicides do not go to heaven.

I've also been taught, and believe, that sacrifice is not the same as suicide.  For example, the iconic story of a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save his buddies is not suicide.  A mother, knowingly giving up her life to save her unborn child, is not suicide.

But in reality, I don't know squat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

...I could be wrong.  

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/17610375.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...I could be wrong.  

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/17610375.jpg

Haha obviously
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll take a crack at this

First, how can you judge when God is the judge?

Secondly, a majority of people who commit suicide are mentally ill.  Do you think God would send someone to hell if they are sick when they've accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior?  

I know many people that have committed suicide, and not to mention 22 veterans a DAY kill themselves.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]

It's a little like arguing about how things work in the Marvel Comics universe, or Trekkies arguing about Star Trek "canon", isn't it?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Self sacrifice is not suicide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did Jesus commit suicide when he allowed himself to be placed on the cross to die???????????????????????????

Self sacrifice is not suicide.

Suicide by cop goes out the window then...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're saved, I think you would.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
It's funny how little Christians actually know about their own religion.

Having to ask forgiveness for each and every sin?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe they do.

Only God knows the struggles some go though and I would think that someone who commits suicide was not mentally at a good place...and that will be taken into consideration.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't want a bunch of mopey suiciders ruining my heaven vacation.

But maybe they led a great life up to a certain point then messed up right at the end?

I guess I would let management decide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I let God decide such things.
View Quote

This

Unless someone can show me in the bible that Suicide is an unforgivable sin and absolutely condemns one to hell. (and I'm not talking about asking before death as no one names every specific little sin when asking for forgiveness. I am sure some are left out)

There is but one unforgivable sin according to the bible
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This may come as a shock to millions of God-fearing Christians, but "going to heaven" is not really a thing . . . at least not in the Bible anyway. The Jews of the Old Testament did not believe in a "heaven" afterlife -- at least not the way most modern Christians understand it. Jesus talked about the kingdom of heaven COMING to you and heaven being IN you. Likewise, if you really read the scriptures, you'll see that hell is also a condition of the mind. Heaven and Hell are something you experience while you're alive and conscious. Heaven is having Christ/God dwell in you. Hell is being separated from God. You're only aware of this while you're physically alive. As the wise man said, "there is no thought . . . in the grave where thou goest."

So, no, people who commit suicide don't "go" to heaven because 1.) there is no afterlife heaven to go to and  B.) they did not know heaven while they were alive. They committed suicide because they were tormented. They committed suicide because they were in hell while they were alive. Physically dying changes the condition of man only because dying ends life. There is no thought in the grave so heaven and hell -- like all other thoughts -- cease to exist. There is NOTHING.

Suicide is the final act of a person who is in hell. The only way to get "to" heaven is to stay alive and work through the hell in your mind. You must put off the old man of hell and put on the new man of heaven. Enjoy it while it last because there is nothing else. . . .
View Quote

And what specific denomination of Christianity teaches this? The bible says otherwise
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think it can be as cut and dried.

Take this example:

Two men stand side by side at the window of a tall building.  One is a Calvinist, one a Catholic.  Both are in as close a compliance with the demands of their faith as is humanly possible, both are saved by the grace of God (this is not the time or place to argue about whether only is truly saved, this is just a thought experiment.)  Now, as it happens, a little while ago, terrorists rammed an airliner into the building they are standing in, and they were unable to escape.  Advancing towards them is a wall of fire and smoke, and they are choking and in agony from the flames.  To avoid that pain, they leap from the window.

For the Catholic, does this mean that this moment of weakness in extremis was an exercise of his free will to turn away from God and reject His grace at the last?  If so, God's grace seems a thin and weak thing to me, and not the result of someone being filled with the Holy Spirit, which would tend to invalidate the man's beliefs to begin with.

For the Calvinist, one could say of course that he was never truly saved and was not one of the elect---but by saying this, I would argue that you are invalidating his entire set of beliefs.  For if that is the case, then actions of the terrorists who initiated this circumstance somehow limited or constrained God.  Meaning that God was unable to save that person because of the set of circumstances he found himself in and his reactions thereto.  It also means that unconditional election cannot be a real thing.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#33]
like all topics everything doesn't fit into one bucket.

a person giving his life to save another in a battlefield, traffic, hostage, rescue situation isn't suicide even though that person chose to give up their life.

a person who has a terminal disease and does something to expedite the end isn't suicide.

now the person who just takes their life out of the blue because of depression, lot in life, this begs the question Do they even have Jesus Christ in their life? I think if you have Jesus Christ truly in your heart you will not have "Pride" which is one of the biggest killers of man kind. Without pride you will usually reach out for help, with help you'll get a prescription, counseling and people in your life. Will it save all - if it's Bible based (KJV) chances are really good. Most won't take this route, I've known 6 people personally that ended their life - NONE OF THEM TRULY HAD JESUS CHRIST IN THEIR LIFE.

Jesus Christ died for all sins - Period

John 3:16 - not saying it is truly suicide
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that you understand little about the physical after-life in the kingdom of God.

I too, am waiting for the answer to this one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

To say nothing of all the bullshit of growing up.

I've had a good run at it, and it won't bother me when the little spark goes out.

Not volunteering, though. (not yet)
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And what specific denomination of Christianity teaches this? The bible says otherwise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Can you find the phrase "go to heaven" in the Bible? Surely, as much as people throw that phrase around, it must occur in the Bible somewhere . . .
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Maybe death (not existing) is paradise?  Living is suffering.  Death is relief from suffering.  Would that not be paradise?  Especially in that time period?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

uh huh. If that were true, why did Jesus tell the thief next to him on the cross that today he will be with him in paradise?

Maybe death (not existing) is paradise?  Living is suffering.  Death is relief from suffering.  Would that not be paradise?  Especially in that time period?

If that were the mindset, everyone would off themself.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]
If they've been born again, then yes.

Same way anyone gets to heaven.

Jesus is THE ONLY WAY.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Pretty sure the bible also speaks of the unforgivable sin - The sin against the Holy Spirit.
View Quote

The sin against the Holy Spirit is otherwise known as the sin of Pride -- putting yourself before God. Committing suicide is a manifestation of that. There is no suffering that cannot be endured, especially when we bear in mind that we are being tested as paragons of Christian humility.

The Church has toned down its traditional condemnation of suicides because of its pastoral concern for surviving families. Give the guy a Christian burial and sweep everything under the rug. God, however, is the final arbiter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you even rich man and the begger bro?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#42]
If one has the righteousness of Christ through saving faith, then yes, that one is going to heaven.

Yes, the gospel is that good!   Someone I respect said and I agree with them, "When the gospel seems too good to be true, you are probably preaching the right gospel."

Patrick
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So, if I tell a lie and then get hit by a bus and die, I m not going to heaven? Bc that is the last sin I committed. Not how it works. If we were under the law, I would agree but we are under grace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Easy answer, no.  

Not so easy answer, if you are a Christian as in has asked Christ to forgive you of your sins then you know that murder is sin.  Suicide is the last sin you commit and do not have a chance to ask for forgiveness.

So, if I tell a lie and then get hit by a bus and die, I m not going to heaven? Bc that is the last sin I committed. Not how it works. If we were under the law, I would agree but we are under grace.

Yep. The bulk of this is from the 16th century founded in catholicism regarding suicide being unforgivable.  

Truth is your physical death doesn't concern God. It's your spiritual death that matters.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My Marine Corps nephew committed suicide one week ago today (PTSD related).

I don't know where he went spiritually, but I hope he is at peace.

View Quote

Sorry for your loss and his service.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Show me in the Bible where it says "if you kill yourself you cant go to Heaven."
Now show me in the Bible where it says Jesus wipes away all sin and if He is your Savior you go to Heaven.

Jesus is Savior = Heaven
Anything else does not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I have to poop

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#47]
No, but Jesus did say repent and sin no more a bit.  Their in lies the problem  - we feel that it would be difficult to turn away from the sin, if there is no time afterwards.  The flip side of that is what is time to God.  A blink of an eye is eternity, and eternity is but a blink of an eye.  So we are back to God's mercy.  A person, at the moment of death, could have all the time necessary to repent - if it is God's mercy.  Likewise the moment of death is all that would be necessary for people to accept Jesus as their Lord and savior - if it is God's mercy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#48]
IIRC, canon law (and, I think, Common Law) held that a person of sound mind committing a suicide was a "felo de se" and would not go to Heaven, while a person committing suicide as a result of unsoundness of mind could go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll go with this.

But I'll add that it might depend on the situation. Some one in massive pain and is going to die anyways just trying to get it over with, probably ok. Some emotionally distraught loser, probably not ok.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My answer is that it depends on the situation. If your stuck in a building on fire with no way out and instead of burning alive you put a bullet in your head I don't think it will be held against you. Or you a soldier in the sandbox fighting ISIS and your about to be overrun and capture is imminent. You know your fate in their hands will be horrible so you save the last bullet for yourself.
View Quote

Hows that different than just an average person with a busted body sick of life , or just someone sick of their daily bullshit? All of the situations suck to the people and they know what the future will be like.

Suiciders don't go to heaven.

I love the atheists that like to think they are smarter than everyone, but really aren't. It's like an inferiority complex or something. Sad. If they were as smart as they think they are, they would be able to figure out who/what god is.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top