Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2015 9:29:57 AM EDT
Any of you folks live with someone that complains non stop?  Not necessarily someone that bitches AT you but just bitches and complains about goddamn near everything.

It's mentally and physically exhausting, how do you deal with it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh great, another relationship thread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Quit complaining about threads...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah kinda like this, but worse.  As in complains about fucking everything.  Google something and can't find the answer, "Goddamn internet is a conspiracy"  Too many commercials on TV...anything that doesn't really amount to shit.

Hmm...kinda like a person that has no real problems in life so they invent them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Get one of those air horn cans.  Whenever conversation starts taking a 'complaining' tone, use air horn to drown it out.  Repeat as often as necessary.  Oh...and eject now.  It will only get worse.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get one of those air horn cans.  Whenever conversation starts taking a 'complaining' tone, use air horn to drown it out.  Repeat as often as necessary.  Oh...and eject now.  It will only get worse.
View Quote

lol good idea.

The whole eject thing doesn't apply to me though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to.  I divorced him.

I know that's no help but once you're at the end of your rope, you're at the end of your rope.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
yes, and I point it out every time. seems to be improving. She is not satisfied with anything, ever
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yes, and I point it out every time. seems to be improving. She is not satisfied with anything, ever
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's gotta be rough.  I couldn't be in a romantic relationship with someone like that.

Quoted:
I used to.  I divorced him.

I know that's no help but once you're at the end of your rope, you're at the end of your rope.

Actually you could help.  PM inbound.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you ever notice how complainers don't like to hear others complain?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they will misunderstand every goddamn word out of your mouth just to have more to complain about.

ETA:  Was your comment a jab at me? lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or how a know-it-all thinks everyone else is one?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my wife to death but she bitches about EVERYTHING.

the other nothing i was so fed up I told her

"I'm glad I can make you happy."

she asked me why I said that then so I told her, "You clearly aren't happy unless you have something to bitch about so I'm glad I can keep you busy, happy and bitching."

she made a face and wandered back to the living room.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I do and I live alone.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife lives with one

Get off my lawn.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#15]
this also works from time to time

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder how many people are actually happy in their marriages.

This thread isn't only about romantic relationships btw.

PS.  I was in the only happy relationship that I know of.  Everyone of my friends and family are unhappy as it gets.  I don't understand why they stay together.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't deal with people like that.  

My husband comes from a family where things don't just happen.......they're done TO them.  If someone driving down the road moves into their lane, not even abruptly cutting them off, it's an asshole just TRYING to jack up their day.  

He's mostly grown out of it.  I'd point out how ridiculous it was to think that way and he started to notice that he hated that own quality in his family members.  

He's pretty easy going, for the most part, now.  

I have one sister who could win the lottery and the first thing out of her mouth would be griping about how much they took out in taxes.  

ETA  Also very happily married here.  19 years in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I will never understand how people go home to a spouse they aren't enthusiastic about.  If you "don't know" whether or not you're enthusiastic about seeing someone, being around someone, then you already HAVE your answer.
You should be screaming "f*ck yes!" about all your relationships (actually you BOTH should) or something isn't right.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My husband comes from a family where things don't just happen.......they're done TO them.  If someone driving down the road moves into their lane, not even abruptly cutting them off, it's an asshole just TRYING to jack up their day.  

He's mostly grown out of it.  I'd point out how ridiculous it was to think that way and he started to notice that he hated that own quality in his family members.  

I have one sister who could win the lottery and the first thing out of her mouth would be griping about how much they took out in taxes.  

View Quote

Sounds like you complain a lot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Glad to hear of someone that's happily married.  No sarcasm.

Could give some people a block of gold and they'd bitch that its too heavy. lol

Quoted:
I will never understand how people go home to a spouse they aren't enthusiastic about.  If you "don't know" whether or not you're enthusiastic about seeing someone, being around someone, then you already HAVE your answer.
You should be screaming "f*ck yes!" about all your relationships (actually you BOTH should) or something isn't right.

Agreed.  

Does anyone here know of any relationships like this?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whoa, room full of mirrors shit here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to.

My divorce attorney took care of that for me however.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?  I love my wife completely but damn if I'm enthusiastic about it every time I go home.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any of you folks live with someone that complains non stop?  Not necessarily someone that bitches AT you but just bitches and complains about goddamn near everything.

View Quote

When we first got married, I told my wife this:   "If you complain about EVERYTHING I do, I will have no reason to do anything for you, and will only do what I want."  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I think I'm a complainer but I call it like I see it

But I'll catch myself more now and shut up
It's hard though

My wife must really love me
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Really?  I love my wife completely but damn if I'm enthusiastic about it every time I go home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a relationship like that once.
I watched my parents have a relationship like that and it lasted for 48 years.  Up until the day my dad died.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wife lives with one

Get off my lawn.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I have two cats.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife comes from a family who's tradition is to get together and talk about every single grievance that has occurred to them since their last tribunal.

They don't talk about good news. It is purely every single thing bad that's happened to them. From "my sock had a hole in it and it bothered me all day" to coworker drama, other family member drama, etc. They categorically go through the minutes of their life listing these issues.

Once I pointed this out to her, the change was drastic and immediate. She actively tries to steer convos away from spiraling into complains, and she knows I don't have patience for it.

We are on the same page.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm just in this thread to see of my wife has posted anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I think I'm a complainer but I call it like I see it

But I'll catch myself more now and shut up

It's hard though

My wife must really love me
View Quote

^

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My wife comes from a family who's tradition is to get together and talk about every single grievance that has occurred to them since their last tribunal.

They don't talk about good news. It is purely every single thing bad that's happened to them. From "my sock had a hole in it and it bothered me all day" to coworker drama, other family member drama, etc. They categorically go through the minutes of their life listing these issues.

Once I pointed this out to her, the change was drastic and immediate. She actively tries to steer convos away from spiraling into complains, and she knows I don't have patience for it.

We are on the same page.
View Quote

Sounds like she was tired of hearing you nag about her family.

Just messing with you guys but it's weird to think of living in a house where everything is lollipops and rainbows
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know I'm just kidding around. You sound like a fine wife. And yeah my wife tells me I complain to much but so far she is able to over look my short comings and boy do I have many.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When we first got married, I told my wife this:   "If you complain about EVERYTHING I do, I will have no reason to do anything for you, and will only do what I want."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boom! There is is folks. I added “I didn’t marry my mother, so make sure that every damn conversation isn’t a to do list for me.”

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just messing with you guys but it's weird to think of living in a house where everything is lollipops and rainbows
View Quote

I think the key point is that it may not *technically* be all lollipops and rainbows but if the good is good enough, it SEEMS that way----even through the *bad* stuff.  

I could say that we never argue.  You can't be heavily involved with someone for 20 years and NEVER have an argument.  But they're so few and far between and everything is absolutely wonderful 99.9% of the time that it seems as though we never argue.  

Just as an example of how perspective is everything.  

When I think about our marriage the arguments we've had don't even blip the radar.  There's just no room for them when everything else is stuffed with crazy good.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You know I'm just kidding around. You sound like a fine wife. And yeah my wife tells me I complain to much but so far she is able to over look my short comings and boy do I have many.
View Quote

I know you are.  If your wife considers you the way I consider my husband, you're perfect to her, regardless.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I wonder how many people are actually happy in their marriages.

This thread isn't only about romantic relationships btw.

PS.  I was in the only happy relationship that I know of.  Everyone of my friends and family are unhappy as it gets.  I don't understand why they stay together.
View Quote
Seeing that 50% of marriages end in divorce on the low end we can say half aren't happy with their marriages. Of the remaining 50% I'd bet close to 25%-50% of those are people unhappy with their marriage but just too invested (kids, mortgage, etc.) or wimpy to call it quits.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#40]
turn off your hearing aid
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Work with one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I think the key point is that it may not *technically* be all lollipops and rainbows but if the good is good enough, it SEEMS that way----even through the *bad* stuff.  

I could say that we never argue.  You can't be heavily involved with someone for 20 years and NEVER have an argument.  But they're so few and far between and everything is absolutely wonderful 99.9% of the time that it seems as though we never argue.  

When I think about our marriage the arguments we've had don't even blip the radar.  There's just no room for them when everything else is stuffed with crazy good.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth in this post. I like nothing better than to be with my wife / best friend. We may not agree on everything every day, but when we don't agree it's usually about the right way to fix an issue that we're facing. If we're short on money, the discussion wouldn't go to placing blame for the problem, but the best way to fix it. She might want to go after a bank, while I'm thinking armored car job. We always focus on the problem, not the blame. She knows I have her back, and I trust her with my life. For better or worse, if we can't agree on the solution she will usually defer to me for the tactical fix while we continue to work on the strategic approach. We've been together for 33 years (married over 32) with no separations, physical injuries or calls to 911. I think we both hate drama, and that helps.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
People change. Often that individual whom you used to think about all day, and couldn't wait to get home to see, changes over time (and over the course of your marriage) into someone that is more akin to just a roommate. By the time you realize this quitting (divorcing) may not be a simple endeavor. And the person may still be a nice, good person, but the things he/she did that made him/her a special person that you couldn't get off our mind no longer are there.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife isn't bad but when she gets going I'm usually on my computer and just ignore it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
People change. Often that individual whom you used to think about all day, and couldn't wait to get home to see, changes over time (and over the course of your marriage) into someone that is more akin to just a roommate. By the time you realize this quitting (divorcing) may not be a simple endeavor. And the person may still be a nice, good person, but the things he/she did that made him/her a special person that you couldn't get off our mind no longer are there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody gets it that people change more than me.  I got engaged about 9 months in and wish I'd waited.  We had compatibility issues but I didn't wait long enough to see them clearly.
But what I'm saying here is that people get strung along all the damned time by people who treat them badly and who they aren't at all enthusiastic about being around.  They get married, they hate it, yet they stay.  
We each have a limited amount of time on this earth.  Just because "quitting isn't simple" doesn't make it a good reason for me.  Why waste my own time and someone else's?  Why would you want to stay in a loveless marriage with someone you no longer care about and who no longer cares about you?  Wouldn't you want that person to find happiness elsewhere if you truly cared about them?

I had the courage to do the right thing and leave.  Many don't.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Me!  If it ain't one little thing, it's another.  "Pick this up! Pick that up! It's too hot!  It's too cold!"

Oh yeah? What about me?  I have to listen to this all day long, and my head already hurts from banging it on that stupid low-hanging shower rod.  And by the way, I believe I felt a bit of soap scum under my feet in there... SOMEBODY's not pulling their weight in the tub cleaning category, looks like! Not that there's much room in there anyway, in between all the damn hair goo, delicately colored razors and what appears to be a jellyfish made of human hair squatting over the tub drain.  And NOW it seems I'm OUT OF BEER!  Am I honestly supposed to go out and buy beer at 10:00 in the morning?  I really didn't want to have to put on a clean T shirt, since this is the only one I have that really fits right.  All the damn T shirts seem like they're sized to be fencepost sweaters or something these days.

Sheeesh.  She's lucky to have me.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be furious about having to pay the IRS and/or state millions of dollars for nothing.

But your point is still valid.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm married to a woman, what do you think?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm the complainer in my house, I complain cause the things that are important to me are not being handled.

To not complain about those things mean the other person is having their cake and eating to which is not fair.
A relationship means you work together, when the other party isn't holding their end of the deal it creates tension.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because children.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top