Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Shooting guns, to an extent. I find popping paper targets BORING. Sure, you shoot paper to set in your sights, but then what? Keep shooting the same targets over and over?
I wish i had a setup like Hickock45. Now, that would be fun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shooting guns, to an extent. I find popping paper targets BORING. Sure, you shoot paper to set in your sights, but then what? Keep shooting the same targets over and over?
View Quote

Steel revitalized my shooting a few years ago when it got reasonable to put a bunch up. Paper does get stale.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Golf

Everybody in my family except me loves it.....I tried but it just didn't take.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Steel revitalized my shooting a few years ago when it got reasonable to put a bunch up. Paper does get stale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love shooting steel plates. Want to have even more fun, shoot a steel plate with a tracer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
lots of folks with ADHD 'round here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I take breaks from that too but collecting 800 pics?  Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Womanizing

That is one I don't get tired of, though I do go in cycles and take breaks when bored.  I have now collected over 800 nude photos in 3 years of online and offline dating.

ehh..for some folks "creeping" is a hobby
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
For all those saying Golf...

Golf is a sport, not a hobby!!!

The OP clearly states Hobby!

My hobby that turned out to suck balls was Fly Tying!!!

Not worth it, not in the least bit!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Fishing with my little boys.  I take them, but holy hell, when I have all 4 and just me, what a cluster fuck of twisted, tangled rats-nest lines,lure injuries, tears, and a complete lack of caught fish.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fishing with my little boys.  I take them, but holy hell, when I have all 4 and just me, what a cluster fuck of twisted, tangled rats-nest lines,lure injuries, tears, and a complete lack of caught fish.
View Quote

That's not fishing. That's babysitting. It's no different than taking them to an amusement park.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fishing with four little boys?  You are a better man than me, lol.

I have to take my kids fishing in rotation, one at a time. Even then it is a cluster sometimes
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Got talked into archery by a friend, couldn't get into it at all. Sold the bow and put the money back into guns!

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]

It's like fishing without the fun.

Now spearfishing? That shit is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I went offroading a few times with a coworker who is in a local club. Anywhere from guys who have some mildly built daily drivers, to people with entirely custom offroad rigs.

It does nothing for me.

"Oh, cool, you drove over that series of rocks"    "Oh, cool, you drove up that side of the hill"

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
marriage?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Golf; a dumb sport for rich, bored white men. Your clothes look stupid, it's really an excuse to drink and hang out with your buddies, and if you were real men you'd do it at a bar, and tell your hen-pecking wives to suck it.

The only time in my life I've ever swung a golf club it was AT someone, and it was their club. If it had been a lefty club I might have hit them, too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I suspect a decent amount of "road" bikers do rural tripps so they can vary the scenery.  That said, cars hitting bikers are probably even more common on rural roads.  Did read about dirt road biking - seemed an interesting twist.  Biking on gravel though seems to invite road rash.

Tried golf - took a semester class.  Went golfing once.  Hitting the balls was fun enough, dealing with the pretentious assholes on the range was not worth my time.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Video gaming

Was into it when I was a kid.  Went several years without a system until my buddy bought a new Xbox 360 and gave me his old one.  Bought the newest Call of Duty and went to town.

When I was a kid, playing N64 Goldeneye, or the first Halo, the fun of it was getting together with buddies, bringing our TVs over to one place and hanging out together and playing.   If you got shot by your buddy as you're about to win a capture the flag game, a hearty "fuck you" right to his face is satisfying for both of you in a way.  Then we'd chow on pizza and laugh about it.   I still have a lot of fond memories of hanging out with my buddies in this way.

The online gaming community is totally different, and absolutely horrible.  The people are assholes, nobody really talks other to insult you or minimize what you have accomplished (couldn't be that I shot you because I flanked you, had to be your system lagged and the kill was bullshit), etc etc.   New game comes out, everybody talks about why it sucks, despite having 85 hours logged on the game five days after it's release and they keep playing it.  Even sought out some arfcommers to play with and found them to be no better than the average whiny asshole gamer.

My system shit the bed after several months, and with it being out of warranty, I was pretty well hosed (that's why it was given to me in the first place).   I was considering replacing it at first, but now I'm glad it broke.   Now the idea of a 30 year old man sitting in front of his TV to play a game by himself all the time sounds really stupid to me.
View Quote

Only fun when your a prick, such as team suicide killing in halo with stickies...
throw sticky
catch with face
chase team
Allah Akbar
profit!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]
hmm lets see whats on the list...

im with you on bicycling, as a kid
yeah we bicycled with a purpose we went places
as a adult I live way too far from town so I am either riding in a circle from home or my truck
and every mile I go I think "I have to pedal this damn far just to get back"

although I dont hate it... I have tried and failed to learn guitar three times
always wanted to play a guitar and I absolutely cant do it
makes me mad to say I cant do something

snowboarding.... frustrating as hell
my third trip snowboarding I fell hard just a few yards off the ski lift
it triggered some sort of rage deep inside and I simply quit on the spot
unstrapped myself grabbed the board and walked all the way down that mountain

odd one... working mules teaching them to pull wagons
riding in a wagon drinking beer with not a care in the world, how could you possibly hate that?
its boring and incredibly slow paced. picture this
your in a wagon riding for 4 hours maybe 6 hours or maybe its a all day ride
now imagine your in a vehicle... that trip takes about 30 minutes in a car and you arent looking at a animals asshole all day
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Golf.

All kinds of cool stuff to spend money on. I'll make great business contacts. No one is trying to ban golf clubs.

A few rounds later...golf blows. It's not like I know I suck and want the challenge to improve, no, I suck and don't give a shit enough to want to get better.
View Quote

I say "Fuck golf" at least once a week while playing. Still like getting outside with friends and drinking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Golf
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
shooting at the local range sucks.... 100 yards whoopie fucking doo...... Going with the dad to Beckley to shoot 500 makes me happy but something is still missing.....

Offered a farming friend 80 bucks a year to let me put a gong at 1000 yards to play with in the end of his corn field, only get to use it during fall, but nope, the lead will kill his corn.....

Anyone in Lewisburg WV interested? offer still stands.,,,,
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A few years ago I got into mountain biking, really loved it and it complimented my offroad motorcycle habit and kept me in shape.

But, trails are fewer and farther between here, and closed off during bad weather to preserve them, so I figured I'd try road riding to supplement it. Seems a very popular thing, everyone I knew riding mtn was doing it too, so I went and bought a bike and gear.

Holy fuck. It's awful. I mean, ok, fitness and getting out and breathing fresh air. Yeah, it's that...but it's just so mind-numbingly boring. After 40 minutes in the saddle, it's just repetitive and dull as fuck, I really don't know how people spend all day just peddling round and round. Through the woods on a bike? Totally different - absolute concentration, full body experience, you can't get bored - but on a road? Christ, it's like opening and closing a door until your arm hurts, repeat. The real kicker is guys I rode with were jizzing about riding hilly country...that's like crack to them. Grinding up a hill with your legs on fire is like, extra special.

Uh, ok. I found it akin to pulling my pubes out with vice grips. The only reason I ever rode up a hill was for the fleeting joy of going down the other side fast. Enjoy the hill? Fuck, that's like enjoying pulling the sled up the hill. Weirdo mentality, right there.

I sold the bike, bought a hybrid and do short interval rides on the bike path...and even that's boring....but at least I'm getting in shape and fresh air.

Anyway, no offense to guys who like that shit (even tho you're fucking weird and have a superpower-like ability to shut your brain off), it just was pure suck.

What did you get into and find out it's no bueno?
View Quote

You are doing it wrong.  Road cycling is more line meditation for me.  I enjoy road cycling much more than MTB, in fact I gave up MTB all together when I crashed in the woods, one time to many, all by myself.  My legs outran my skills so to speak.  

As far as hobbies I tried and found to not be my thing.

GOLF, it is boring, boring, boring.  The game is a money pit that people fall in hoping to get a stoke or two off their game with every purchase.  If the ads were true everyone would be being Tiger Woods, oh wait they are, including his ex wife and ex girl friends, with his clubs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I started on road bikes some 40 years ago.
When mountain came along I bought one and hung up the road bike.
While I can see why the OP does like road biking I still like to ride along the coast and check out the beach and sometimes ride into the hills.
It reminds me of how much fun I used to have riding on the road.

However, it scares the crap out of me when I ride the road because of cells phones and brain dead drivers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#24]
hiking.  I wanted to want to get back into it but just don't feel it.

All my young life I was an outdoorsy hiker type.  High school hiking club, college hiking club.   Had lots of nice trips up mountains in the Adirondacks and Catskill Mountains.  

Then I was in the infantry with the USMCR and spent way too many weekends walking and just following the pack ahead of me in the dark while toting an M60 and wearing an uncomfortable alice pack over LC2 gear that was jabbing and rubbing you raw all day and night.  A few knee injuries and a badly rolled ankle that still gives me grief a decade later. (I think I broke something in there and it never healed right)

I figured I'd get back into it some year down the road when the ground pounder burnout subsided.  Hasn't happened.  I can go winter camping off the snow machine and do a couple short snow shoe side trips without too much annoyance. I can canoe camp or camp out of the boat and fish happily.  I just never got back into the trail hiking thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Playing the guitar. It wasn't that I hated it, I was just really really bad and didn't have the time to put in to get good or learn at all really.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've gotten pretty bored with my belly button lint collection.
View Quote

That's when you start on an ear wax collection.

Eventually you spin your lint collection into wicks and make candles.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, sir, are an innovator!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I got somewhat good playing guitar over the past 30 years.  Put it down several years ago and only picked it up once every month or two.  Haven't really touched one now in 3-4 months.  I realize I can't put the time into it to get any better, and I'm nowhere near as good as I use to be.  Knowing that I'll never be able to play to the level I want leaves me wanting to get rid of everything, and I have already sold off $6-7K in guitars and amps.  If my son wasn't into playing now I would.

I've considered getting rid off all of the guns except a few as well.  80% of them only get shot once a year or so.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Badminton isn't fun at all, but I stayed in because of the girls in short little skirts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#30]
shooting glocks.    ugh.  would rather  get punched in the face

fishing.   coma inducing boring

sports.  as in football., baseball , basketball. and even worse, watching sports.     horrible.    

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You are doing it wrong.  Road cycling is more line meditation for me.
View Quote

Like I said, repetitive motion and just putting along is a thing my mind does not find comfort in.

If that's how you meditate, I'm jealous. For me, it's like working on a production line. Mind numbing, not mind comforting.

See, mountain bikes or motorcycles are meditative precisely because they DEMAND total concentration - my brain has no choice but to focus on the task, and I'm not lost in thought, or bored, or even aware of myself so much - just controlling the machine, in the moment.

After a day of that, I'm renewed. Road cycling doesn't affect me in the positive at all, just annoys and discomforts me.

I'm not wired for that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you can get a table at the farmer's market and sell your "artisan" wares.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
See, mountain bikes or motorcycles are meditative precisely because they DEMAND total concentration -
View Quote

Try riding with a fast group. You need to pay attention, and in a big competitive group
there's all sorts of social dynamics that interact with the riding. "Marco over there is a
climber, and there's a hill coming up, so he may go. But those five guys over there are
going to reel him back in on the descent, so I better get on their wheel."
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Try riding with a fast group. You need to pay attention, and in a big competitive group
there's all sorts of social dynamics that interact with the riding. "Marco over there is a
climber, and there's a hill coming up, so he may go. But those five guys over there are
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
See, mountain bikes or motorcycles are meditative precisely because they DEMAND total concentration -

It's a lot of work to appreciate some very subtle moments.

You'd have to be sick in the head to subject yourself to hours of torment for a few instances of quickly fading elation.

I only do it because I look so good in spandex.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds like you dared me to make road biking worse, and I dreamed up a scenario where there was a social interaction element to it too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I went offroading a few times with a coworker who is in a local club. Anywhere from guys who have some mildly built daily drivers, to people with entirely custom offroad rigs.

It does nothing for me.

"Oh, cool, you drove over that series of rocks"    "Oh, cool, you drove up that side of the hill"

View Quote

I am an offroader and I agree with you, IF it is done that way.

For me, I like that series of rocks or hill taking me somewhere cool to camp, shoot, take pictures or something. Being able to go places that not everyone can get to is what it is all about. It is like hiking or mountain climbing…. for lazy people.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I hear ya on the mountain biking.  However, my new pad in CA is in a neighborhood that has multiple built up entrances to a magnificent trail system that goes from the foothills to downtown Sacramento and runs along parts of the American River.  It's all paved and VERY little in the way of hills.  I know it's pretty weak in terms of strength and endurance needed, but I'm headed to 50 and frankly I don't give a flying fuck!

I'm glad to be able to do it again and enjoy it.

As far as hobbies I've started and ended up hating.... Golf.  Without a doubt.
View Quote

It sounds like you're up Folsom or Eldorado Hills somewhere. I hate biking in the heat no matter where it is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Fishing with four little boys?  You are a better stupider man than me, lol.

I have to take my kids fishing in rotation, one at a time. Even then it is a cluster sometimes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fishing with four little boys?  You are a better stupider man than me, lol.

FIFM

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I went golfing once and hated it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Eh, even the sanitizing isn't so bad... except for sanitizing all those freaking bottles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked everything about beer brewing but the fucking bottling.

So I'll give it a try again someday with corny kegs.

It's not the bottling that's so bad, it's the fucking sanitizing.

That's why I stick to apfelwein variations.  Half the bottles.

Eh, even the sanitizing isn't so bad... except for sanitizing all those freaking bottles.

Bottling blows, every aspect of it.

I went to soda kegs, that helped for a while. Brewing was kind of fun at first, but after a couple years it felt more like a chore than a hobby. Ended up trading my brewing gear for an FR-8. Don't miss it at all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Womanizing

That is one I don't get tired of, though I do go in cycles and take breaks when bored.  I have now collected over 800 nude photos in 3 years of online and offline dating.

I would say about 80% of that number are completely nude, the rest either normal entry pics or scantily clad.  Hell, you can go online and get 10 conversations going in a day.  Even if only half of those go to phone, it does not take long to accumulate a lot of pics.  Most of the locals I will meet and go out with if the conversation goes well, the long distance ones sometimes turn into short term texting/Skype 'tryst' usually.  It is hard to meet those sometimes.  I guess it is a hobby I am good at.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It sounds like you're up Folsom or Eldorado Hills somewhere. I hate biking in the heat no matter where it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya on the mountain biking.  However, my new pad in CA is in a neighborhood that has multiple built up entrances to a magnificent trail system that goes from the foothills to downtown Sacramento and runs along parts of the American River.  It's all paved and VERY little in the way of hills.  I know it's pretty weak in terms of strength and endurance needed, but I'm headed to 50 and frankly I don't give a flying fuck!

I'm glad to be able to do it again and enjoy it.

As far as hobbies I've started and ended up hating.... Golf.  Without a doubt.

I'm in the Mather area if you guys ever want to meet up for a ride.  I need to get my fat ass back on my bike.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Fishing is the only hobby that I invested in and almost immediately found I didn't like. Unfortunately allowed my uncle to talk me into buying all sorts of crap that I used a few times and has been collecting dust for years. Oh well.

Lots of other hobbies have come and gone, but I at least enjoyed them for a few years before the shine wore off. Fishing was just meh from the get go.

I've been thinking of taking up golf, any opinions on the subject?
Just kidding, looks boring as fuck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Playing the guitar. It wasn't that I hated it, I was just really really bad and didn't have the time to put in to get good or learn at all really.
View Quote

I've been playing for about 10 years and still suck.

And what the hell is with people that say fishing is boring, but riding a bicycle is relaxing?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I've tried photography but never have time to go and take some pictures. My camera just sat in the closet collecting dust. I end up selling it to a kid who will put it to good use.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Stamp collecting.  SBR's that is.  I've got 5 of them that I never shoot.  Pretty much shoot pistol exclusively now.  Mainly because pistol is such an evil bitch to get really good at.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And what the hell is with people that say fishing is boring, but riding a bicycle is relaxing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I didn't like fishing, I'd take a day of casting over and over and over with no results over bicycling any day of the week. Bicycling on the road is pretty much the most unappealing hobby I can think of, especially when done in a group. I'd rather take up golfing.

ETA: Been playing guitar for about 8 years. Definitely less terrible than when I started, but yeah, I suck, too. Only pick it up once a month or so now, but that's technically still playing
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Snowboarding and cigars. I think flyfishing will be next. Havent tried it yet though
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Snow skiing.
My parents had a cabin in the mountains a few miles away from the big skiing area.

Saved up my money when I was in high school for a year, bought a nice set of second hand skis, poles and pants/jacket.
Went out with a couple of friends, absolutely hated it.

Went back a couple weeks later and took some lessons, went out on the hill to try out my new skills and I ate shit so hard that my ski's went flying off and I lost my poles.
People on the skiway were laughing at me and calling me the abominable snowman.

I was so pissed that I didn't even notice the hot girl that skied down the hill to get me my ski and then helped me to get my shit together long enough so I could get down the hill.
I met her in the clubhouse later that afternoon, I was still too pissed off to talk to her.  

I gave the shit away and to this day I can't stand skiing.
View Quote

I don't think I've ever actually met anyone, or heard of anyone who gave downhill and honest try and hated it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top