BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I won't forget the day I read the last strip.  For years I had torn into the paper as soon as it got to the house to see what Calvin and Hobbes had going on. After that day I never really looked at the comic section again...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I miss him too.

Also, Bloom County & Farside.

At least he didn't "Jump the Shark.".
View Quote

Bloom County is back.  It's now Bloom County 2015.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I may have a son whose middle name is Calvin.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Best comic ever.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I truly miss that strip (and hell, reading the comics in general, since newspaper is dead). The final set of strips were awesome and sad at the same time. I honestly think he went out in the right way, and for the right reasons (as I recall, he has said that it was just a natural time to end the strip). It's hilarious how much he looks like Calvin's dad.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Watch out for Dust Guys.

In His Last Moments--Calvin talks to Hobbes one more time.

Calvin? Calvin, sweetheart?"
In the darkness Calvin heard the sound of Susie, his wife of fifty-three years. Calvin struggled to open his eyes. God, he was so tired and it took so much strength. Slowly, light replaced the darkness, and soon vision followed. At the foot of his bed stood his wife. Calvin wet his dry lips and spoke hoarsely, "Did... did you.... find him?"
"Yes dear," Susie said smiling sadly, "He was in the attic."
Susie reached into her big purse and brought out a soft, old, orange tiger doll. Calvin could not help but laugh. It had been so long. Too long.
"I washed him for you," Susie said, her voice cracking a little as she laid the stuffed tiger next to her husband.
"Thank you, Susie." Calvin said.
A few moments passed as Calvin just laid on his hospital bed, his head turned to the side, staring at the old toy with nostalgia.
"Dear," Calvin said finally. "Would you mind leaving me alone with Hobbes for a while? I would like to catch up with him."
"All right," Susie said. "I'll get something to eat in the cafeteria. I'll be back soon."
Susie kissed her husband on the forehead and turned to leave. With sudden but gentle strength Calvin stopped her. Lovingly he pulled his wife in and gave her a passionate kiss on the lips. "I love you," he said.
"And I love you," said Susie.
Susie turned and left. Calvin saw tears streaming from her face as she went out the door.
Calvin then turned to face his oldest and dearest friend. "Hello Hobbes. It's been a long time hasn't it old pal?"
Hobbes was no longer a stuffed doll but the big furry old tiger Calvin had always remembered. "It sure has, Calvin." said Hobbes.
"You... haven't changed a bit." Calvin smiled.
"You've changed a lot." Hobbes said sadly.
Calvin laughed, "Really? I haven't noticed at all."
There was a long pause. The sound of a clock ticking away the seconds rang throughout the sterile hospital room.
"So... you married Susie Derkins." Hobbes said, finally smiling. "I knew you always like her."
"Shut up!" Calvin said, his smile bigger than ever.
"Tell me everything I missed. I'd love to hear what you've been up to!" Hobbes said, excited.
And so Calvin told him everything. He told him about how he and Susie fell in love in high school and had married after graduating from college, about his three kids and four grandkids, how he turned Spaceman Spiff into one of the most popular sci-fi novels of the decade, and so on. After he told Hobbes all this there was another pregnant pause.
"You know... I visited you in the attic a bunch of times." Calvin said.
"I know."
"But I couldn't see you. All I saw was a stuffed animal." Calvin voice was breaking and tears of regret started welling up in his eyes.
"You grew up old buddy." said Hobbes.
Calvin broke down and sobbed, hugging his best friend. "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry I broke my promise! I promised I wouldn't grow up and that we'd be together forever!!"
Hobbes stroke the Calvin's hair, or what little was left of it. "But you didn't."
"What do you mean?"
"We were always together... in our dreams."
"We were?"
"We were."
"Hobbes?"
"Yeah, old buddy?"
"I'm so glad I got to see you like this... one last time..."
"Me too, Calvin. Me too."
"Sweetheart?" Susie voice came from outside the door.
"Yes dear?" Calvin replied.
"Can I come in?" Susie asked.
"Just a minute."
Calvin turned to face Hobbes one last time. "Goodbye Hobbes. Thanks... for everything..."
"No, thank you Calvin." Hobbes said.
Calvin turned back to the door and said, "You can come in now."
Susie came in and said, "Look who's come to visit you."
Calvin's children and grandchildren followed Susie into Calvin's room. The youngest grandchild ran past the rest of them and hugged Calvin in a hard, excited hug. "Grandpa!!" screamed the child in delight.
"Francis!" cried Calvin's daughter, "Be gentle with your grandfather."
Calvin's daughter turned to her dad. "I'm sorry, Daddy. Francis never seems to behave these days. He just runs around making a mess and coming up with strange stories."
Calvin laughed and said, "Well now! That sound just like me when I was his age."
Calvin and his family chatted some more until a nurse said, "Sorry, but visiting hours are almost up."
Calvin's beloved family said good bye and promised to visit tomorrow. As they turned to leave Calvin said, "Francis. Come here for a second."
Francis came over to his grandfather's side, "What is it Gramps?"
Calvin reached over to the stuffed tiger on his bedside and  held him out shakily to his grandson, who looked exactly as he did so many years ago. "This is Hobbes. He was my best friend when I was your age. I want you to have him."
"He's just a stuffed tiger." Francis said, eyebrows raised.
Calvin laughed, "Well, let me tell you a secret."
Francis leaned closer to Calvin. Calvin whispered, "If you catch him in a tiger trap using a tuna sandwich as bait he will turn into a real tiger."
Francis gasped in delighted awe. Calvin continued, "Not only that he will be your best friend forever."
"Wow! Thanks grandpa!" Francis said, hugging his grandpa tightly again.
"Francis! We need to go now!" Calvin's daughter called.
"Okay!" Francis shouted back.
"Take good care of him." Calvin said.
"I will." Francis said before running off after the rest of the family.
Calvin laid on his back and stared at the ceiling. The time to go was close. He could feel it in his soul. Calvin tried to remember a quote he read in a book once. It said something about death being the next great adventure or something like that. He eyelids grew heavy and his breathing slowed. As he went deeper into his final sleep he heard Hobbes, as if he was right next to him at his bedside. "I'll take care of him, Calvin..."
Calvin took his first step toward one more adventure and breathed his last with a grin on his face.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He's given interviews?

I thought he pretty much retired to a cabin in the woods and threw all connections to the outside world in the trash can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the few interviews Watterson gave, he sounds pretty bitter

He's given interviews?

I thought he pretty much retired to a cabin in the woods and threw all connections to the outside world in the trash can.

There's a documentary on Netflix right now about the role of newspaper comics, "stripped." He actually did an interview for it (albeit over the phone). I highly recommend it.

As well as "thank you mr Watterson" "Dear Mr Watterson"
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There's a documentary on Netflix right now about the role of newspaper comics, "stripped." He actually did an interview for it (albeit over the phone). I highly recommend it.

As well as "thank you mr Watterson"
View Quote

It's "Dear Mr Watterson".

I didn't know about "Stripped", I'll add it to my list. Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Printed this out and left it hanging in my old office when I resigned - after having worked at the place for 20 years.

Still having fun exploring. Same line of work, much better opportunities.

The strip was and is very fitting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why? It was a popular strip I thought. I was under the impression he just ended it because he felt it was time.
ETA: That's just what I thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the few interviews Watterson gave, he sounds pretty bitter

Why? It was a popular strip I thought. I was under the impression he just ended it because he felt it was time.
ETA: That's just what I thought.

FWIW, I remember from reading several of his books of comics that in one of them he was talking about his constant fights with syndication and it destroying his vision.

The man definitely has an artist's soul.   I love C&H, it used to be what I'd look for every weekend.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Calvin reminds me of the wonderful imagination children can have...
I do miss it. But I got all the books for my son and we both enjoy them.
And they are very well used.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
my son is 20, he found my old C&H books.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoops! Thanks for the correction!

It's been a while since I've seen it and didn't double check via google.

I've always loved Calvin & Hobbes. I want to make a stuffed "Hobbes" for my niece.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I miss them.

View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watched it, it really open's your eyes as to how the industry worked and how it was changing. Since comic writers have to tell a story in a very short time and they have to connect it to their reading audience, many of the changes were making it extremely hard to do so to the satisfaction of the creator. Some, like Watterson, had enough and said adios.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I read that cartoon faithfully for years..............it was my favorite. Sad to see it gone
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the big complete box set
View Quote

as do I

I think you can still pick them up for $65 or so, well worth the price of admission

ETA:  $60 for paperback, $90 for hardcover

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-BOX-SET/dp/1449433251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440767772&sr=8-1&keywords=calvin+and+hobbes+complete+collection
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Spaceman Spiff
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Never understood the appeal.  Different strokes, I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Watch out for Dust Guys....

View Quote

I read the first two lines, not sure I want to read anymore.

Edit: Dammit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same. added
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Watch out for Dust Guys.

<snip>
View Quote

That gets me everytime I read it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#25]
The loss of this strip was like the loss of a friend.  You still have the memories...but no new experinces with them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The loss of this strip was like the loss of a friend.  You still have the memories...but no new experinces with them.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Best cartoon series Ever, thank you Mr Watterson.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I get the same feeling. When the strip ended, it was like a buddy died or I had to put my dog down. But I still get to re-live the whole journey by letting my children read the books. It brings me the joy again like I was reading the strip for the first time when my daughter bust out laughing from her reading nook. She'll come to find me to show me a strip and why it's so funny, even though I've read that worn out book at least 87 times and read it when it ran in the paper.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

People have been banned for less.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I remember once, when I was little, my Dad saying that my brother, sister, and I reminded him of C&H because we ran around outside all the time and made up the rules to the game as we went along...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I have kept this one up in every office or cubical I've sat in for years.

I have this one from XKCD up too.

The two of them have kind of become a measure of people. I tend to followup closely with people who tell me they don't understand either one of them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Kept all my Calvin and Hobbes comics.

As a kid, I always wanted a Hobbes doll (the version where he is "inanimate", not "alive"). Didn't know until later that I could never find one because Watterson never sold the rights.

Long story short, my girlfriend made me a handmade Hobbes doll using pictures from the internet and comics for me for our first Christmas together. Damn near brought a tear to my eye; that something I mentioned to her in passing one day was put together by hand.

This coming Christmas will be our third together. She is a special lady, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I often thought a Clavin and Hobbes movie would be FANTASTIC.

They can make a Garfield movie, have Bill FUCKING Murray's voice for it, but nothing for an actually funny cartoon? Pfft...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Watch out for Dust Guys.
View Quote

Damn dust! Where did you find that? Or did you write it yourself?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I often thought a Clavin and Hobbes movie would be FANTASTIC.

They can make a Garfield movie, have Bill FUCKING Murray's voice for it, but nothing for an actually funny cartoon? Pfft...
View Quote
A C&H movie would be terrible unless Watterson wrote, directed and animated it and was 100% in charge of production with full creative control.

I don't think it would translate well to the big screen regardless. Some things need to stay as they are.

Now a video game.... that might work

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Watch out for Dust Guys.

Calvin? Calvin, sweetheart?"
In the darkness Calvin heard the sound of Susie, his wife of fifty-three years. Calvin struggled to open his eyes. God, he was so tired and it took so much strength. Slowly, light replaced the darkness, and soon vision followed. At the foot of his bed stood his wife. Calvin wet his dry lips and spoke hoarsely, "Did... did you.... find him?"
"Yes dear," Susie said smiling sadly, "He was in the attic."
Susie reached into her big purse and brought out a soft, old, orange tiger doll. Calvin could not help but laugh. It had been so long. Too long.
"I washed him for you," Susie said, her voice cracking a little as she laid the stuffed tiger next to her husband.
"Thank you, Susie." Calvin said.
A few moments passed as Calvin just laid on his hospital bed, his head turned to the side, staring at the old toy with nostalgia.
"Dear," Calvin said finally. "Would you mind leaving me alone with Hobbes for a while? I would like to catch up with him."
"All right," Susie said. "I'll get something to eat in the cafeteria. I'll be back soon."
Susie kissed her husband on the forehead and turned to leave. With sudden but gentle strength Calvin stopped her. Lovingly he pulled his wife in and gave her a passionate kiss on the lips. "I love you," he said.
"And I love you," said Susie.
Susie turned and left. Calvin saw tears streaming from her face as she went out the door.
Calvin then turned to face his oldest and dearest friend. "Hello Hobbes. It's been a long time hasn't it old pal?"
Hobbes was no longer a stuffed doll but the big furry old tiger Calvin had always remembered. "It sure has, Calvin." said Hobbes.
"You... haven't changed a bit." Calvin smiled.
"You've changed a lot." Hobbes said sadly.
Calvin laughed, "Really? I haven't noticed at all."
There was a long pause. The sound of a clock ticking away the seconds rang throughout the sterile hospital room.
"So... you married Susie Derkins." Hobbes said, finally smiling. "I knew you always like her."
"Shut up!" Calvin said, his smile bigger than ever.
"Tell me everything I missed. I'd love to hear what you've been up to!" Hobbes said, excited.
And so Calvin told him everything. He told him about how he and Susie fell in love in high school and had married after graduating from college, about his three kids and four grandkids, how he turned Spaceman Spiff into one of the most popular sci-fi novels of the decade, and so on. After he told Hobbes all this there was another pregnant pause.
"You know... I visited you in the attic a bunch of times." Calvin said.
"I know."
"But I couldn't see you. All I saw was a stuffed animal." Calvin voice was breaking and tears of regret started welling up in his eyes.
"You grew up old buddy." said Hobbes.
Calvin broke down and sobbed, hugging his best friend. "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry I broke my promise! I promised I wouldn't grow up and that we'd be together forever!!"
Hobbes stroke the Calvin's hair, or what little was left of it. "But you didn't."
"What do you mean?"
"We were always together... in our dreams."
"We were?"
"We were."
"Hobbes?"
"Yeah, old buddy?"
"I'm so glad I got to see you like this... one last time..."
"Me too, Calvin. Me too."
"Sweetheart?" Susie voice came from outside the door.
"Yes dear?" Calvin replied.
"Can I come in?" Susie asked.
"Just a minute."
Calvin turned to face Hobbes one last time. "Goodbye Hobbes. Thanks... for everything..."
"No, thank you Calvin." Hobbes said.
Calvin turned back to the door and said, "You can come in now."
Susie came in and said, "Look who's come to visit you."
Calvin's children and grandchildren followed Susie into Calvin's room. The youngest grandchild ran past the rest of them and hugged Calvin in a hard, excited hug. "Grandpa!!" screamed the child in delight.
"Francis!" cried Calvin's daughter, "Be gentle with your grandfather."
Calvin's daughter turned to her dad. "I'm sorry, Daddy. Francis never seems to behave these days. He just runs around making a mess and coming up with strange stories."
Calvin laughed and said, "Well now! That sound just like me when I was his age."
Calvin and his family chatted some more until a nurse said, "Sorry, but visiting hours are almost up."
Calvin's beloved family said good bye and promised to visit tomorrow. As they turned to leave Calvin said, "Francis. Come here for a second."
Francis came over to his grandfather's side, "What is it Gramps?"
Calvin reached over to the stuffed tiger on his bedside and  held him out shakily to his grandson, who looked exactly as he did so many years ago. "This is Hobbes. He was my best friend when I was your age. I want you to have him."
"He's just a stuffed tiger." Francis said, eyebrows raised.
Calvin laughed, "Well, let me tell you a secret."
Francis leaned closer to Calvin. Calvin whispered, "If you catch him in a tiger trap using a tuna sandwich as bait he will turn into a real tiger."
Francis gasped in delighted awe. Calvin continued, "Not only that he will be your best friend forever."
"Wow! Thanks grandpa!" Francis said, hugging his grandpa tightly again.
"Francis! We need to go now!" Calvin's daughter called.
"Okay!" Francis shouted back.
"Take good care of him." Calvin said.
"I will." Francis said before running off after the rest of the family.
Calvin laid on his back and stared at the ceiling. The time to go was close. He could feel it in his soul. Calvin tried to remember a quote he read in a book once. It said something about death being the next great adventure or something like that. He eyelids grew heavy and his breathing slowed. As he went deeper into his final sleep he heard Hobbes, as if he was right next to him at his bedside. "I'll take care of him, Calvin..."
Calvin took his first step toward one more adventure and breathed his last with a grin on his face.
View Quote

Dusty in here for sure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://sites.google.com/site/top25calvinandhobbesstrips/_/rsrc/1276116742563/home/ch870201.gif

My brother in law has this tatooed around his waist. best tatoo ever ! ! ! !

View Quote

I may or may not have a C&H tattoo
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As a kid, I always wanted a Hobbes doll (the version where he is "inanimate", not "alive"). Didn't know until later that I could never find one because Watterson never sold the rights.

Long story short, my girlfriend made me a handmade Hobbes doll using pictures from the internet and comics for me for our first Christmas together. Damn near brought a tear to my eye; that something I mentioned to her in passing one day was put together by hand.

This coming Christmas will be our third together. She is a special lady, that's for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She did that for you on your first Christmas together and two years later she is still just your girlfriend?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://sites.google.com/site/top25calvinandhobbesstrips/_/rsrc/1276116742563/home/ch870201.gif

There is a club of dirty inkies around here with C&H tattoos.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't need a club, I just do whatever I want
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

as do I

I think you can still pick them up for $65 or so, well worth the price of admission

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-BOX-SET/dp/1449433251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440767772&sr=8-1&keywords=calvin+and+hobbes+complete+collection
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the big complete box set

as do I

Yeah we just printed and shipped a bunch C&H treasuries last week. 3 book set? I don't know, wasn't on that line at the time, but I hope Waterson got a decent cut.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a tattoo= ink.
You have ink= dirty.
You have C&H ink= club.

You are auto enrolled. I hear they have Chocolate Covered Sugar Bombs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You have a tattoo= ink.
You have ink= dirty.
You have C&H ink= club.

View Quote

Are girls allowed
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#46]

For a current fix check out "Franklin Richards; Son of a Genius".  

It certainly has Calvin and Hobbes influence.  My kids love it too.  

Its by no means a C&H replacement or even equivalent.  But it will put a smile on your face.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
These were always my favorite

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

frosted.

the sugar bombs are frosted, not covered.

you may bang your head into the floor until forgiven.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top