Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 8:29:58 PM EDT
It was ww1 and my great grandfather said he was issued a Colt revolver in stead of a 1911.
But he lost it in no mans land. We all heard that story before. Fast forward almost 40 years and my grandfather was clearing mines in France.
What does he find. Not his Colt but a Colt just like it.
The trigger being back and hammer down may be a sad reminder that someone was holding it when it was buried.
But he brought it back and told my great grandfather not to lose it again.  

Would we need a ffl transfer? I was just going to drop it in a box and mail it.
To a gunsmith friend of mine as a conversation piece. Drop it in a box and fire it off? Every good smith has some cool stuff on the walls.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Your gunsmith friend is an FFL, no? Not sure how he'd write the serial #.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No. It is an inoperable piece of art.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Just out of school and still doing paperwork for one.
I just thought it would make good luck gift.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Rusted beyond inoperable and no legible serial number, I'd say no need to transfer it.

Cool story too
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Your grandfather found it and you want to give it away?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you give that away?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your grandfather found it and you want to give it away?
View Quote

That's a how I read it as well.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Well my daughter is uninterested and facing some serious health concerns and losing the house I need to find homes for stuff I've had for years and pass along the story's. No real family to pass it to so why not. I've made a lot of good friends here and If I want to pass along some things I can't store or move.
I will. It's not like I drove down the road and threw them out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
<----FFL
Please ignore the Einsteins.
It's a firearm. Federal law/ATF regulations apply to rusty guns just like any other.

Would we need a ffl transfer? I was just going to drop it in a box and mail it
View Quote

If your friend is a gunsmith he better have an FFL.
YOU can't mail it because only licensed dealers and manufacurers can mail firearms other than rifles or shotguns. You can use UPS/FedEx to ship it to the gunsmith.

Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, no..........whether a firearm is inoperable is immaterial. it's still a firearm.

Quoted:
Rusted beyond inoperable and no legible serial number, I'd say no need to transfer it.
View Quote

You need to read you some ATF regs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]
He will have the ffl.He is just getting off the ground now.  I was under the assumption if a firearm was sent for repair it didn't need a transfer.
Just as if you sent something back to Ruger. Now if it's unrepairable and he says it's junk. Does the transfer rule apply?
. It's just a conversation piece but I do get your point. Good luck getting a serial # off it.

I think my question would have been more correctly phrased as do you think the would take the time to throw me in the slammer over this one?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
once a handgun always a handgun if it was built after a certain period.  to make it not considered one it would have to be destroyed per BATFE guidelines.   this is how i understand it
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Good luck getting a serial # off it

View Quote
Wire wheel and some oil

Maybe a little acid to pull the number up as can be done with ground off SNs

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He will have the ffl.He is just getting off the ground now.
Will have or does have an FFL? Until he has the license in hand he should not be receiving any firearms period.
 I was under the assumption if a firearm was sent for repair it didn't need a transfer.
What do you think a transfer is?
If you ship it to a licensee......it just transferred. All that is required under federal law is that an interstate shipment of a firearm be received by a licensed dealer.

Just as if you sent something back to Ruger.
Shipping to any FFL is exactly the same.
Now if it's unrepairable and he says it's junk. Does the transfer rule apply?
Federal law allows for the direct return of a repaired or replacement firearm of the same kind and type. This means if you ship  a firearm to Ruger or Bubbas Gun Plumbing Inc...........it can be returned directly to you. Understand that not all gunsmiths or manufacturers will do this. They only want to ship to another licensee.

He has already received it.
Then WTH are you asking about? if you already mailed it you cannot undo what has been done.

It's just a conversation piece but I do get your point. Good luck getting a serial # off it.

I think my question would have been more correctly phrased as do you think the would take the time to throw me in the slammer over this one?
Is it worth never being able to hold/own/possess a firearm again?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
once a handgun always a handgun if it was built after a certain period.  to make it not considered one it would have to be destroyed per BATFE guidelines.   this is how i understand it
View Quote

Geebus as bad as it is your saying I should cut it up too? That would ruin it's collect ability.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He will have the ffl.He is just getting off the ground now.
Will have or does have an FFL? Until he has the license in hand he should not be receiving any firearms period.
 I was under the assumption if a firearm was sent for repair it didn't need a transfer.
What do you think a transfer is?
If you ship it to a licensee......it just transferred. All that is required under federal law is that an interstate shipment of a firearm be received by a licensed dealer.

Just as if you sent something back to Ruger.
Shipping to any FFL is exactly the same.
Now if it's unrepairable and he says it's junk. Does the transfer rule apply?
Federal law allows for the direct return of a repaired or replacement firearm of the same kind and type. This means if you ship  a firearm to Ruger or Bubbas Gun Plumbing Inc...........it can be returned directly to you. Understand that not all gunsmiths or manufacturers will do this. They only want to ship to another licensee.

He has already received it.
Then WTH are you asking about? if you already mailed it you cannot undo what has been done.

It's just a conversation piece but I do get your point. Good luck getting a serial # off it.

Is it worth never being able to hold/own/possess a firearm again?

That was taken out of context. What I meant to say was if he already received it and said it was junk. Right now it's a paper weight on my desk.
He being much younger than I and just getting started might like it to hang on the wall. I want to send it he hasn't touched it.
But it would be sent under the pretext of a possible repair. I will let a trained gunsmith make the call.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Never mind see its all "hypothetical" now
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
<----FFL
It's a firearm. Federal law/ATF regulations apply to rusty guns just like any other.

YOU can't mail it because only licensed dealers and manufacurers can mail firearms other than rifles or shotguns. You can use UPS/FedEx to ship it to the gunsmith.

Uh, no..........whether a firearm is inoperable is immaterial. it's still a firearm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
<----FFL

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should pull the line from the book describing how to transfer a gun with no make, model, or serial number, that is rusted completely beyond repair.
I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't send it to a non licensee..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

<----FFL

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<----FFL

Quoted:

Quoted:

So that's not sufficiently demilitarized?

What would constitute making it that way? I have seen demilled guns in way better condition than that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I see your point I just never thought a interesting relic could be so encumbered in paperwork.
Jesus H I could just call it scrap metal. But I thought it would be a cool gift.
He said he will ask the ATF in the morning and find out. But all the old smiths I went to had all kinds of backed over rusted relics hanging on the walls for people to handle when he was putting on a set of sights or fitting a barrel or removing a stuck cartridge..
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What would constitute making it that way? I have seen demilled guns in way better condition than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<----FFL

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like your thinking here. We will see.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I would reverse electrolyze that just for fun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#24]
You are way, way, way overthinking this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Good God. If you would have just kept your mouth closed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#26]
It was buried in WW1 and recovered in WW2 It takes a lot of weight or a big impact to bend the frame to the right.
Plus that trigger back and hammer dropped also. If had been fired and tossed the trigger should have returned to double action.
Then what could have blown the cylinder clean out of it? I really wish it could talk. As relics go I find it interesting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

What and send it without any thought to it. Is it a lump or not that's why I threw it out.
A gift shouldn't cause him problems in later years. I wish him good luck. As it is it's just a club.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who me I just wanted to send it. Or them who say your in big trouble if you do it.
It poses a difficult question though. I never really thought it would be this hard and just send it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, just toss it in the mail and hope some nosy Nelly libtard post office worker doesn't find it and call their contact at the ATF about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#30]
It would here
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, just toss it in the mail and hope some nosy Nelly libtard post office worker doesn't find it and call their contact at the ATF about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He claims he's sending it to an FFL. Now, if the FFL didn't log it because he actually owned it for several years before he got his FFL.............

OP, you're beyond overthinking it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He claims he's sending it to an FFL. Now, if the FFL didn't log it because he actually owned it for several years before he got his FFL.............

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, assuming the guy has an FFL he should be good to go. I was referring to the "keep your mouth shut" comment as if he was doing something illegal. Well that's all fine and good but that package has to go through a lot of hands before it reaches it's destination, alotta nosy clumsy hands.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Bumping this for the morning crew. It's a conversation piece.  Really could the ATF think it could be returned ti a firing condition?
I still think someones finger was holding that trigger back. Such a shame something like this could get caught up in regulations.
I would like to see what the early risers think of this. It shouldn't be this hard in this instance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Who me I just wanted to send it. Or them who say your in big trouble if you do it.
It poses a difficult question though. I never really thought it would be this hard and just send it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a conversation piece.
It's a firearm and a conversation piece.  
Really could the ATF think it could be returned ti a firing condition?
It's a revolver frame..........that's a firearm. Whether its rusted has no bearing.
I still think someones finger was holding that trigger back. Such a shame something like this could get caught up in regulations.
I would like to see what the early risers think of this. It shouldn't be this hard in this instance.
What the early risers think is immaterial. ATF regs are damn clear.
Whether you choose to follow them is up to you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's a conversation piece.
It's a firearm and a conversation piece.  
Really could the ATF think it could be returned ti a firing condition?
It's a revolver frame..........that's a firearm. Whether its rusted has no bearing.
What the early risers think is immaterial. ATF regs are damn clear.
Whether you choose to follow them is up to you.

Who me I just wanted to send it.
Then put it in a box and ship it FedEx to your gunsmith friend.

Or them who say your in big trouble if you do it.
You either haven't read or understood anything posted by another gun dealer.
For fucks sake......it isn't hard at all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You should pull the line from the book describing how to transfer a gun with no make, model, or serial number, that is rusted completely beyond repair.
I'm just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<----FFL

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just curious.

There are many post 1898 firearms that do not have a manufacturer, model or serial number on them. That does not change the fact that they are considered firearms under federal law. Serial #'s were not required until passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

To answer your question:
If the dealer cannot determine what the manufacturer or model is he writes "Unknown" or "None". For firearms with no serial#....."No serial number" or "NSN".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top