User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, it's pretty much an ICE issue.  State and local police in Southern Texas call BP all the time with illegals, and BP picks them up and deports them (rarely, they prosecute them).

Also, unless cops in every other state than TX and AZ are somehow different, they can make arrests on Federal felonies committed in their presence all they want.  They just can't investigate them to any significant extent.  Texas DPS arrests alien smugglers all the time.
View Quote

Texas DPS arrest smugglers on state laws.  Not immigration violations. Human trafficking.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

State's can pass/enforce laws requiring compliance with federal law.  Just like MGs and countless other issues.  Failure to comply is a violation of state law. That was hard
Labor laws are strictly enforced... Unless you hire illegals on pupose.  Then you can do what ever you want.

We can enforce the national electrical code, building codes, tax codes and DOT federal laws everywhere.... Including with significant local cooperation.

But everyone with a badge washes their hands of this at every level.  Don't we have federal cops here.
Thousands of illegals in a meat packing plant for decades.  You can't find any code enforcement or parallel laws?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't police arrest people who hire illegals?
Felonies, tax evasion, ongoing criminal conspiracy, RICO, perjury, asset forfiture, civil liability, etc.

Lots of legal tools.

Please provide the statutes that they can enforce.  State, County, or Municipal Law Enforcement cannot enforce federal immigration laws.  Just because someone is hiring illegals doesn't mean they are violating other laws.   Your method of thinking sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

State's can pass/enforce laws requiring compliance with federal law.  Just like MGs and countless other issues.  Failure to comply is a violation of state law. That was hard
Labor laws are strictly enforced... Unless you hire illegals on pupose.  Then you can do what ever you want.

We can enforce the national electrical code, building codes, tax codes and DOT federal laws everywhere.... Including with significant local cooperation.

But everyone with a badge washes their hands of this at every level.  Don't we have federal cops here.
Thousands of illegals in a meat packing plant for decades.  You can't find any code enforcement or parallel laws?

Those jurisdictions pass legislation and laws that mirror federal law, or require adherence to.  No such law exists in the state legislatures for immigration.  If that's what you want, contact your legislator.  Cops can't just make up laws to enforce.  

Yes, the feds should be enforcing the thousands at a meat packing plant you keep mentioning.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Bro, do you even 287g program?

"The 287(g) program, one of ICE’s top partnership initiatives, allows a state and local law enforcement entity to enter into a partnership with ICE, under a joint Memorandum of Agreement (MOA).  The state or local entity receives delegated authority for immigration enforcement within their jurisdictions."

Source: http://www.ice.gov/287g/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Felonies, tax evasion, ongoing criminal conspiracy, RICO, perjury, asset forfiture, civil liability, etc.

Lots of legal tools.

Please provide the statutes that they can enforce.  State, County, or Municipal Law Enforcement cannot enforce federal immigration laws.  Just because someone is hiring illegals doesn't mean they are violating other laws.   Your method of thinking sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"The 287(g) program, one of ICE’s top partnership initiatives, allows a state and local law enforcement entity to enter into a partnership with ICE, under a joint Memorandum of Agreement (MOA).  The state or local entity receives delegated authority for immigration enforcement within their jurisdictions."

So show the MOAs in Texas, or other states.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good Luck with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Code Enforcement, what will you do, fine them?

Only the feds can deport Illegal Immigrants.  Law Enforcement can arrest and incarcerate all the damn illegals they can for violations of state or local law.   They will also call ICE until they are blue in the face, but if they choose to not pick them up there isn't a damn thing local/county/state LE can do.   Be prepared to be sued if efforts are made otherwise, especially with the current DOJ.  

You know what a "pretext stop" is?

You can do that with employers, too.

We're here to make sure you have workers' comp insurance (massive fines here for that, if you don't).

State-level "OSHA" agencies are notorious nitpickers as well. Again, MASSIVE fines for all kinds of stupid shit.

Oh, I see you have a lot more employees than your quarterly state employment filings reflect. We're going to need to do an audit of all your financial and payroll records for the last 6 years. Enjoy.

Good Luck with that.

Good luck with what? The agencies, laws, and enforcement of everything I just ticked off already exist.

Arrest the illegals hanging out at Home Depot for loitering, too.

There are so many bullshit mopery laws on the books. Time to actually do something useful with them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Speak for yourself.  I rather arrest such people then say two bit drug users.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they don't give a shit.

I didn't lose sleep over things that were above my pay grade.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing you didn't lose sleep over anything job related.

Unless it involved threats to change the dental or retirement plans.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good luck with what? The agencies, laws, and enforcement of everything I just ticked off already exist.

There are so many bullshit mopery laws on the books. Time to actually do something useful with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the feds can deport Illegal Immigrants.  Law Enforcement can arrest and incarcerate all the damn illegals they can for violations of state or local law.   They will also call ICE until they are blue in the face, but if they choose to not pick them up there isn't a damn thing local/county/state LE can do.   Be prepared to be sued if efforts are made otherwise, especially with the current DOJ.  

We're here to make sure you have workers' comp insurance (massive fines here for that, if you don't).

State-level "OSHA" agencies are notorious nitpickers as well. Again, MASSIVE fines for all kinds of stupid shit.

Oh, I see you have a lot more employees than your quarterly state employment filings reflect. We're going to need to do an audit of all your financial and payroll records for the last 6 years. Enjoy.

Good Luck with that.

So, tell me the "loitering" law in your state.  There isn't one in Texas.  If HD wants those guys to leave, they can criminal trespass them and the cops WILL enforce that.  ;)

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So, tell me the "loitering" law in your state.  There isn't one in Texas.  If HD wants those guys to leave, they can criminal trespass them and the cops WILL enforce that.  ;)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Localities here are authorized to enact them

Yes, trespass would work too, but that requires cooperation of HD.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Negative.  There are no local or state laws for locals and state LE to enforce.

Negative.  The local cops want paperwork on machine guns because THE STATE has laws regulating that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of legal tools.

Those are all Federal statutes, except in very narrow instances local PD's are not empowered to enforce Federal Statute

Are there no federal courts and federal enforcement of other federal laws in these states?  
Local, state and federal enforcement is absent on this issue.  All are to blame.
Negative.  There are no local or state laws for locals and state LE to enforce.

If I use a MG local cops demand to see tax records as proof of innocence from federal law.
But a meat packing plant with thousands of illegal employees and no one goes to jail.  Decade after decade.
 Negative.  The local cops want paperwork on machine guns because THE STATE has laws regulating that.

The state's have laws regulating labor practices, reporting, taxes, licences, insurance, work place safety, etc.

State laws violated when the employer hired illegals and lies to the government.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of legal tools.

Harris Texas hiring 9 more deputies for the 287(g) program.

Florida Sheriff's Office ICE team arrests

Here's one in my state using local laws and action similar to dbrown1's suggestion.

The only problem is the 287g program was successful, too successful and with the current administrations curtailing of a lot of enforcement it isn't being used.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn right. One's important to me, the other isn't
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
this is my plan to combat illegal imigration

hire an illegal - $1000 fine
turn in an employer hiring illegals - $500 reward

fines and rewards can be collected and paid by any law enforcement agency

every 6 months the fines and rewards double

i dont think it would take more than 2 years

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck with that.

The local court will fine them or they may sit in jail a few days for 3 hots and a cot.  ICE will be contacted and ask if it is a violent crime.  It isn't so they will come up with a reason to not deport them.  They will be right back outside of Home Depot looking for work.  

For anyone to blame State/County/City law enforcement can pound sand.  This is a Federal Law Enforcement issue and US Dept. of Justice issue.  If you have a problem contact them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm in the midwest and I see plenty of white/black people doing landscaping and working in kitchens.  I guess magically the further south you go the more you need illegals.  I think it's more likely that your businesses are drunk on the cheap labor.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it would put the economy at a standstill. Who do you think works in all of the kitchens, does landscaping and construction work?

Who would do it if all of the illegals went away? White or black Americans ?

Hell in my area there is a pretty good labor shortage in the construction industry, with things as they are and all of the illegals around.

I'm in the midwest and I see plenty of white/black people doing landscaping and working in kitchens.  I guess magically the further south you go the more you need illegals.  I think it's more likely that your businesses are drunk on the cheap labor.    

I don't think addicted to cheap labor is the main driving factor around here. Most builders I know would rather pay a little more and deal with a native English speaker (ie white or black American) but still have a more difficult time finding them than they do the Hispanic workers.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Federal laws are only enforceable by federal agents. Remember when Arizona passed laws so state and local officers could arrest illegals? Feds stepped in and stopped it with a lawsuit. Jurisdictional limitations.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
police work for the politicians

politicians have decided that America's demographics need to change
View Quote

Just.... no. Go back to high school and pay attention in Civics class this time....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So it's not a priority at all.  Specialized units for prostitution, drugs and parking tickets.... but zero enforcement on 30 million felonies everyday.

Parking is a higher priority than our imigration problem.  Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't local police do workplace and payroll inspections?

Are you looking for a real answer or GD outrage?  Because they'll be vastly different.

You can admit to multiple felonies on a forum full of cops yet no fear of prosecution.

Why shouldn't I go down to home depot and hire some?

Asking this question here is just looking for the GD outrage answer.  It's a circle jerk, or at best, a group Dutch rudder.

People will say for more democrat votes, or to much savings for a politicians landscaping crew.

The honest answer is time, money and shits.  Police don't have enough time, enough resources our enough shits to play ICE.  And the public at large doesn't want to pay the additional taxes to see this effectively enforced.

So it's not a priority at all.  Specialized units for prostitution, drugs and parking tickets.... but zero enforcement on 30 million felonies everyday.

Parking is a higher priority than our imigration problem.  Got it.

Try reading a book on jurisdictional limitations some time. Please. ESPECIALLY if you want to use a Founding Father's name as your screen name.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lots of legal tools.
View Quote

Sheriff Joe's deputies have done that very thing here. Not enough, but the Feds are crawling all over him for trying to enforce immigration law.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are there no federal courts and federal enforcement of other federal laws in these states?  
Local, state and federal enforcement is absent on this issue.  All are to blame.

If I use a MG local cops demand to see tax records as proof of innocence from federal law.
But a meat packing plant with thousands of illegal employees and no one goes to jail.  Decade after decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of legal tools.

Those are all Federal statutes, except in very narrow instances local PD's are not empowered to enforce Federal Statute

Because you are running afoul of STATE laws. OBAMA has already slapped Arizona down for passing state laws regarding immigration. We need a FEDERAL fix.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I called them once and they asked me "What do you want us to do?", needless to say I never bothered calling them again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only time I can even CALL ICE if I had a suspected IA was when they had committed one of a specific list of crimes, and only that because we had [issed and moaned enough about the lack of INS, then ICE response that the State AG got involved and went to the US attorney.

I called them once and they asked me "What do you want us to do?", needless to say I never bothered calling them again.

Same response, regarding an illegal with a felony DUI (luckily, the girl survived). Arresting illegals is like trying to eat soup with a fork.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck with that.

Not anymore...Loitering was IIRC Declared Unconstitutional, at one time NJ had a Statute that read "Failure to give a good account" that went away in 1981 or 1982 when they revised the entire Criminal Code.  About the only thing left is "Wandering", and that is specifically tied to Narcotics trafficking....the last guy who tried to charge someone with it ended up in front of the County Prosecutor getting his ass handed to him.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not anymore...Loitering was IIRC Declared Unconstitutional, at one time NJ had a Statute that read "Failure to give a good account" that went away in 1981 or 1982 when they revised the entire Criminal Code.  About the only thing left is "Wandering", and that is specifically tied to Narcotics trafficking....the last guy who tried to charge someone with it ended up in front of the County Prosecutor getting his ass handed to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY's loitering law has been ruled unconstitutional on 3 separate ocassions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.....we can arrest for Trespass all day long...IF the "Victim" will prosecute..which they wont.  So instead, you get a couple of Dozen "Day Workers" in front of the Home Depot, and around every 7-11 every morning
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#25]
$$$$$$
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NJ actually changed it..NY just ignored it
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

By a state court in NJ or by a federal court? Just NJ's particular law, or was the effect that pretty much ALL laws of that type were invalidated?

I've never researched this issue because quite frankly loitering laws just don't really matter to me personally or professionally.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cops didn't, the city had to shell out $15 mil to people arrested under it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#29]
At least where I work the feds won't come out or do anything unless it's a violent felony involved and even with this it generally requires multiples.  So they just become a revolving door problem at the jail.  We will arrest on whatever charges we have then call ICE/DHS and much like Extorris said the answer is generally "What do you want me to do?"  with the current administration in the White House over the Department of Justice and DHS I don't see it getting any better any time soon.

Oh wait this is GD I guess it could also be because I'm a lazy cop.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At least where I work the feds won't come out or do anything unless it's a violent felony involved and even with this it generally requires multiples.  So they just become a revolving door problem at the jail.  We will arrest on whatever charges we have then call ICE/DHS and much like Extorris said the answer is generally "What do you want me to do?"  with the current administration in the White House over the Department of Justice and DHS I don't see it getting any better any time soon.

View Quote

I think the point - or at least, MY point - in all of this, is that if you make life as constantly miserable and expensive as possible for both the illegals and their employers, even if it means massive amounts of "pretext arrests," it will have an effect on the problem. I get the fact that local cops cannot deport people themselves and that ICE doesn't do anything because Obama, but there are plenty of ways to legally fuck with these people and their employers mercilessly to the point that it becomes impossible for them to have a life here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think the point - or at least, MY point - in all of this, is that if you make life as constantly miserable and expensive as possible for both the illegals and their employers, even if it means massive amounts of "pretext arrests," it will have an effect on the problem. I get the fact that local cops cannot deport people themselves and that ICE doesn't do anything because Obama, but there are plenty of ways to legally fuck with these people and their employers mercilessly to the point that it becomes impossible for them to have a life here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is the employers are already violating local, state and federal laws and are "low hanging fruit" legally.  Easy to prove and lots of legal tools.  Including lots of local and state laws regulating labor, taxes and reporting requirements.  Not to mention government ability to always find a problem when they choose.

It's a lot easier to target big employers than chase 30 million illegals.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Ask the NJSP how that worked out for them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Feds should be doing it.  Just like the Feds should be doing immigration issues.

Typical "Police" are City or County workers.

BTW...there are alot of things that the Feds don't want to do and just plain don't.  They claim they're too busy with "other crimes." RIGHT.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#34]
There's no money in it.

ETA: Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp opening his jacket and telling Ringo he won't fight him....... jpg........

use your imagination!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

Like cops give a shit about lawsuits.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lawsuits and the accompanying civilian complaints is why I left plainclothes, not worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The lawsuits and the accompanying civilian complaints is why I left plainclothes, not worth the hassle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did you get sued more in plain clothes?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Maybe some places, but All I Know is that I didnt have any mechanism to Charge anyone for anything other than State Charges..Even out of state Warrants..they get arrested under the NJ Statutes as "Fugitive From Justice", the Courts then drop that on transfer to the other Jurisdiction.  The ONLY Instances Im aware of where a State, County or Municipal NJ LEO can charge under federal Statute is if he is a member of a Federal task Force, at which point he's deputized as a Special Deputy US Marshal so he has Federal Powers, or on an even more limited basis, he's attended the Special ICE training Course to handle Arrests for Immigration violations..IIRC they train a couple of hundred per year, and at last count there's probably around 600,000 State, County and Local LEO's  so they should be done sometime in 2350
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, it's pretty much an ICE issue.  State and local police in Southern Texas call BP all the time with illegals, and BP picks them up and deports them (rarely, they prosecute them).

Also, unless cops in every other state than TX and AZ are somehow different, they can make arrests on Federal felonies committed in their presence all they want.  They just can't investigate them to any significant extent.  Texas DPS arrests alien smugglers all the time.

Maybe some places, but All I Know is that I didnt have any mechanism to Charge anyone for anything other than State Charges..Even out of state Warrants..they get arrested under the NJ Statutes as "Fugitive From Justice", the Courts then drop that on transfer to the other Jurisdiction.  The ONLY Instances Im aware of where a State, County or Municipal NJ LEO can charge under federal Statute is if he is a member of a Federal task Force, at which point he's deputized as a Special Deputy US Marshal so he has Federal Powers, or on an even more limited basis, he's attended the Special ICE training Course to handle Arrests for Immigration violations..IIRC they train a couple of hundred per year, and at last count there's probably around 600,000 State, County and Local LEO's  so they should be done sometime in 2350

Arrest =/= charge.  Does NJ not allow for citizen's arrest either?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proactive unit.
Got sued for incidents that happened on my day off and another when I was on vacation. Both complaints made along with the lawsuits stayed in my file permanently and were held against me when I put in for a transfer. No thanks, ROD.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Texas DPS arrest smugglers on state laws.  Not immigration violations. Human trafficking.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPS turns aliens over to BP without any state charge constantly.  They have hundreds of troopers who do nothing else (well, they also give out speeding tickets while looking for illegals).  I have never seen even a single smuggler tried under state law.  Hell, I've never even seen one detained overnight if BP wouldn't come pick him up.  Well, unless he's got expired/suspended license.  Then they take the vehicle before they let him go.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

No one likes the Feds up your ass with a flashlight.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top