Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/26/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
Anyone wanna bet how they will rule when they do?

If the Supreme Court is our great hope, then we're fucked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

Supreme Court will rule they can stay along with the rest of their extended family
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, look who has been appointed to the SC lately and you'll have your answer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I got NO idea how that would pan out with the current SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it will go about as well as the giving of land in Rock Ridge on Blazing Saddles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
It's pretty simple to me..no one should be able to profit in anyway due to a criminal act..crossing illegal into this country is a criminal act..hence you are not a legal birth......now you here on a school/work visa and give birth..yep kid has dual citizenship..but in order for family to move here they should have to go thru the whole legal method to become law abiding citizens...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got NO idea how that would pan out with the current SCOTUS.
View Quote

You don't?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to shit on what I'd imagine would be a splendid GD thread, but ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wong_Kim_Ark
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, look who has been appointed to the SC lately and you'll have your answer.
View Quote

The wise Latina will write the opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
"who had at the time a permanent domicile and residence in the United States "

Swing and a miss!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's pretty simple to me..no one should be able to profit in anyway due to a criminal act..crossing illegal into this country is a criminal act..hence you are not a legal birth......now you here on a school/work visa and give birth..yep kid has dual citizenship..but in order for family to move here they should have to go thru the whole legal method to become law abiding citizens...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Swing and a miss!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swing and a miss!

You think there aren't illegal aliens with long-standing "domiciles" here when they have their anchor babies?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck the supreme court.  they are shit for the republic
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
A wise latino woman will say "if you get popped out while on US soil you are Merican and are entitled to get checks and all sorts of benefits, and all for free.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

were they not here legally?

ETA: beaten, but the question stands.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Its about time for a constitutional crisis as long as someone in the White House wants to deport them.  It stupefies me that the left doesn't realize that when bloated social programs being taken advantage of by illegals eventually drags this country down the shitter that they are going down to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Its about time for a constitutional crisis as long as someone in the White House wants to deport them.  It stupefies me that the left doesn't realize that when bloated social programs being taken advantage of by illegals eventually drags this country down the shitter that they are going down to.
View Quote

they want to drag it down. they want to destroy it, under the mistaken belief that they will get to choose how it is re-built.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for saving me the work.

And it applied to parents who were here legally when their child was born.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you think that will stop them from cooking up so legal hokus pokus to make anyone born on the north bank of the Rio Grande a U.S. Citizen?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So do you think that will stop them from cooking up so legal hokus pokus to make anyone born on the north bank of the Rio Grande a U.S. Citizen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it should be challenged and the SCOTUS needs to be on record either way.  If they "re-interpret" the 14thA, it'll be just another log on the fire, and getting it burning brightly enough for more defenders of the Constitution to be created is a good thing...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Jeb told me it's an isolated problem
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Parents were permanently domiciled in the US and here lawfully according to the article. The opinion (quoted in the article) says that the issue before the Court was "whether a child born in the United States, of parent[s] of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the Emperor of China, but have a permanent domicil[e] and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States."

The decision apparently does not address the offspring of those who are here other than permanently and/or other than legally.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What makes anyone think the Supreme Court would for some reason take this issue up? While there are a small number of legal scholars that argue that the children of illegals are not citizens, the vast majority disagree AND those children have been treated as citizens for decades.

So some guy is 50 and his mom and dad snuck into the US and gave birth to him here. He's been treated as a citizen his whole life, has paid taxes and assumes he is entitled to social security when he retires. What rational person thinks that the Supreme Court is going to rule that he is here illegally, can't collect the social security he has paid into since he was 16 and has to be deported?
View Quote

two separate issues.

the first is the question of Birthright, the second what to do if the citizenship doesn't apply.

the first is an interpretation of the law and is what the Supreme Court should do.

the second is something that Congress should deal with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are Russians who are visiting here legally on vacation just to squish out their US citizen baby

If the court decides against illegals having US citizen babies, they'll have to vacation here to squish out US babies.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, it's the Asians who are having all the anchor babies.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Supreme Court will either never take the case up or declare that the children of illegals are citizens if born here precisely because of the reason I stated. They are not going "unstate" hundreds of thousands of people.    
edit there is a good faith argument that the children of illegals are not citizens but it's a minority view and meaningless as they have been treated like citizens for decades

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes anyone think the Supreme Court would for some reason take this issue up? While there are a small number of legal scholars that argue that the children of illegals are not citizens, the vast majority disagree AND those children have been treated as citizens for decades.

So some guy is 50 and his mom and dad snuck into the US and gave birth to him here. He's been treated as a citizen his whole life, has paid taxes and assumes he is entitled to social security when he retires. What rational person thinks that the Supreme Court is going to rule that he is here illegally, can't collect the social security he has paid into since he was 16 and has to be deported?

two separate issues.

the first is the question of Birthright, the second what to do if the citizenship doesn't apply.

the first is an interpretation of the law and is what the Supreme Court should do.

Supreme Court will either never take the case up or declare that the children of illegals are citizens if born here precisely because of the reason I stated. They are not going "unstate" hundreds of thousands of people.    
edit there is a good faith argument that the children of illegals are not citizens but it's a minority view and meaningless as they have been treated like citizens for decades

You're right. But, there are a lot of right wing pundits and politicians who think that the Supreme Court will be our salvation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#29]
The natural born citizen thing is pretty well rooted in law & society, don't you think?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#30]
When I become POTUS, I will seize Barack Obama's residence through eminent domain and turn it into a prison for illegal aliens.  Every time he moves, I will do the same so long as I am POTUS, or until he leaves the country, or until he is no longer alive - whichever comes first.  I will do the same for every single elected official or television talking head that supports illegal immigration.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Save us John Roberts, you are our only hope.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#32]
i dont agree with the anchor baby bullshit.

its like your pregnant neighbor breaks into your house at 2am... and gives birth on your couch...... now their kid is legally part of your family, and you have to support them now....its nuts.

at least one of the parents must be a us citizen, or the mother must be in the country legally for the baby to be a citizen.  IMHO.

if they want to deny visas, and entry to pregnant women on vacation or whatever, , to help avoid this bullshit,   thats fine with me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When I become POTUS, I will seize Barack Obama's residence through eminent domain and turn it into a prison for illegal aliens.  Every time he moves, I will do the same so long as I am POTUS, or until he leaves the country, or until he is no longer alive - whichever comes first.  I will do the same for every single elected official or television talking head that supports illegal immigration.

View Quote

Where do I send my donations?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#34]
If you believe in the rest of the amendments as firmly as you believe in the 2nd, it seems pretty straight-forward:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
View Quote

There doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for legal vs. illegal - it's pretty black and white.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Press 1 for spanish
Press 2 for English
Wherever they are from, it's not to become an American
It's to have the perks of being an American, while creating a new colony of the old country here
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think the chinese tourism babies actually make a stronger argument against birthright citizenship than all the bitching about hispanic illegals  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the chinese tourism babies actually make a stronger argument against birthright citizenship than all the bitching about hispanic illegals  

I pay 10k in school tax. I'm going to make a pretty good guess that none of that goes to Chinese anchor babies in our schools, and quite a bit more goes to illegals from the south that don't pay their share
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#37]
"Anchor babies" are not the problem you think they are.

For instance, if a Chinese woman has her kid here and he is a USC, it will still take decades for him to sponsor any other family members into the US legally

Taiwanese tend to be big abuser of the "anchor baby" thing not as a means to citizenship, but as a back up in case the Chinese invade then they can send their kids here.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were LEGAL residents. Big difference.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Parents were permanently domiciled in the US and here lawfully according to the article. The opinion (quoted in the article) says that the issue before the Court was "whether a child born in the United States, of parent[s] of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the Emperor of China, but have a permanent domicil[e] and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States."

The decision apparently does not address the offspring of those who are here other than permanently and/or other than legally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a Mexican couple comes here and lives here for a while - hence "domiciled" here - and are carrying on business (i.e., living their lives in some manner), and are still Mexican citizens just like the Chinese people were still Chinese ... I don't see anything to distinguish the two scenarios. Nothing in the quote that you posted mentions, or conditions the holding, on lawful entry/presence.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You're right. But, there are a lot of right wing pundits and politicians who think that the Supreme Court will be our salvation.
View Quote

They're living in 1929 if they think that.

Lochner Era for the win.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Supreme Court will rule they can stay along with the rest of their extended family
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who need to be citizens, too, so they can have the entitlements they need to help care for and nurture these wonderful, vibrant American babies.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think it should be challenged and the SCOTUS needs to be on record either way.  If they "re-interpret" the 14thA, it'll be just another log on the fire, and getting it burning brightly enough for more defenders of the Constitution to be created is a good thing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the SCOTUS. Congress has the authority to set method of naturalization. Article I is clear on this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Court's holding doesn't distinguish between the two, nor does the plain text of the 14th Amendment.

I hate anchor babies as much as anyone, but the legal landscape is pretty unfavorable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

two separate issues.

They've been treated that way on account of statutes, not the Constitution.  Congress is free to expand who is eligible for birthright citizenship and decades ago chose to do so.

And if SCOTUS rules based on majority views or based on an effect of the law being undesirable to them (which it does), then it is not an institution worthy of respect or obedience, as it is lacking in fidelity to the law and proper principles thereof, and is a legislature and ought to be dealt with by the other branches should the right people ever get into power.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#45]
And if/when an amnesty deal is made, saying the newly minted "legals" can't have XYZ privileges, the USSC will overturn that, too.  You know, like voting rights?

Be wary if this is ever a stipulation of an amnesty deal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Court's holding doesn't distinguish between the two, nor does the plain text of the 14th Amendment.

I hate anchor babies as much as anyone, but the legal landscape is pretty unfavorable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 14th is pretty clear. They are not subject to the jurisdiction of...

And the ruling you posted is concerning permanent residents. That means they were here legally.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And the ruling you posted is concerning permanent residents. That means they were here legally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here, let me use bigger letters:

THE RULING DOESN'T DISTINGUISH BETWEEN LEGAL AND ILLEGAL RESIDENTS
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy should go through the system, become a citizen and then get his money back.  Pssst we done spent your SS money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I told you it did. Did you read it this time?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck Jeb , fuck him right in the face .....and fuck the supreme court and obama's executive orders

PUT. IT. TO. A. VOTE !

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top