Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2015 9:27:14 PM EDT

A South Jersey man faces up to 10 years in prison after using to shotgun to blast a drone flying in his neighborhood last year, authorities said.

Russell J. Percenti, 33, was indicted Tuesday on charges of possession of a firearm for unlawful purchase and criminal mischief over the alleged incident in Lower Township on Sept. 26, 2014, according to Cape May County Prosecutor Robert L. Taylor.

The owner of the drone told authorities he was using the it to take aerial photos of his friend's house on Seashore Road while it was under construction, until he heard gunshots and lost control.
View Quote

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/nj_man_faces_prison_for_shooting_down_drone_cops_say.html#incart_river

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What a dick
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a dick
View Quote

FPNI, dude shouldn't have been flying it that close to that guys house
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a dick

LoL no the shooter is a dick.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh.

My old mans house abuts a ~20 acre field where people fly some different RC planes and copters. Some of the gas planes move at a good clip (and are loud as fuck) and when they fly over his property it is very annoying. The dogs go ballistic and hate the things, and sometimes the people are doing flips or maneuvers right over the house/deck/yard and if they lost control could easily kill or injure someone.

I don't hate them, because I want to fly them, too. But id be lying if I said I never daydream about suppressing a shotgun and taking some down.

about every six months one crashes into his trees.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a dick

Maybe not so much...

when the story first broke I believe the drone was hovering over the shooters property near his sunbathing daughter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe not so much...

when the story first broke I believe the drone was hovering over the shooters property near his sunbathing daughter.
View Quote

Different story.  And in that story, IRRC, the flight logs and video showed it wasn't even close.  That's why THAT guy got in trouble.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe not so much...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a dick

Maybe not so much...

That was in Ky.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Good. I've never seen as many emotional responses over "drones" as I have in the shooting community. It's sickening.

I'm getting tired of people chest thumping about how they're going to shoot down and destroy another person's private property because of some perceived "spying" issue.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good. I've never seen as many emotional responses over "drones" as I have in the shooting community. It's sickening.

I'm getting tired of people chest thumping about how they're going to shoot down and destroy another person's private property because of some perceived "spying" issue.  
View Quote

The firefighter thread was the best one I have seen in along time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Start a thread about "drone" operators crashing into biycyclists.

Pop bag of popcorn

Enjoy the rest of the evening.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Pop bag of popcorn

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pop bag of popcorn

Oh my. I'm gonna build some disposable quadcopters and do it myself

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

My property and the airspace above it is a UAV no fly zone. Don't believe me? Fly over it with a "drone".
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My property and the airspace above it is a UAV no fly zone. Don't believe me? Fly over it with a drone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My property and the airspace above it is a UAV no fly zone. Don't believe me? Fly over it with a drone.

That's bound to turn out well for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My property and the airspace above it is a UAV no fly zone. Don't believe me? Fly over it with a "drone".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Are you in the same rush to shoot down a manned helicopter with a photographer in it?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are trying to enact a law here, no drones over pp and a 350 min. ceiling is the owners property.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do these people find out who shoots their drone?

Why not spray it with a pressure washer?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Just get your own drone and have a dogfight.

If you are good, problem solved.

Your house, your airspace.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eric Draven: I see you have made your decision, now let's see you enforce it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Honestly?

I'd feel like a complete tool flying a drone that was recording over someone else's property.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#23]
fair advance warning .   try flying a drone over my place .. and see what happens
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They are trying to enact a law here, no drones over pp and a 350 min. ceiling is the owners property.

Roy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roy

There's a thread on that.  CA is going to find out that the FAA regulates aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Honestly?

I'd feel like a complete tool flying a drone that was recording over someone else's property.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Honestly?

Most people aren't going to be doing that. Some of us live in tight neighborhoods where we don't have many options for test flying... to the casual observer it could easily look like I'm hovering over someone else's yard and filming when I'm really in a corner of my yard and the camera's not even on.

Similarly, some of the aircraft that are able to fly autonomously will pause when they hit a waypoint, so if the aircraft is flying along a street or sidewalk it might happen to pause above someone, which the typical paranoid Arfcommer would misconstrue as "one o them dadgum tech-no-logic drone thingeroos" spying on him.

Not to mention that from a distance, every camera at a certain angle looks like it's pointing at you, which further reinforces the idea that someone is spying on you... probably a combination of paranoia and arrogance thinking you're interesting enough for that.

Also could easily be a kid with a Parrot he got for Christmas and either doesn't know that trying to spy on other people is frowned upon, or is just having fun flying around the area. And then some knucklehead fires a shotgun into the air to shoot him down in the middle of a crowded neighborhood

Quoted:

fair advance warning .   try flying a drone over my place .. and see what happens
What's your address?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How do these people find out who shoots their drone?

Why not spray it with a pressure washer?
View Quote

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that they aren't getting shot down from 1000 yards by a precision rifle shot.  So maybe start with who is in range of the shotgun pellets that drop it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Honestly?

View Quote

The vast majority of folks who own these things feel the same way.  That's why you see a lot of videos online of people flying over water.  It's more dangerous to the copter, but it's not bothering anyone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Post pic of your place.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#30]
The guy should get a fine not 10 years in jail.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There's a thread on that.  CA is going to find out that the FAA regulates aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roy

Maybe, but CA can very much redefine their state parameters for trespass and what constitutes disorderly conduct.

Phrase it so that it's any visual aid suspended less than 350ft above a privately owned or occupied property and make it not an air related charge but a trespass, and guess who can't do shit?  The FAA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Honestly it'd probably be worth getting one just to enrage rednecks by hovering above their house with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.  Fined heavily.  NJ went retard on that.  Most-likely the gun-control lobby had a hand in whatever law governs what he did.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most people aren't going to be doing that. Some of us live in tight neighborhoods where we don't have many options for test flying... to the casual observer it could easily look like I'm hovering over someone else's yard and filming when I'm really in a corner of my yard and the camera's not even on.

Similarly, some of the aircraft that are able to fly autonomously will pause when they hit a waypoint, so if the aircraft is flying along a street or sidewalk it might happen to pause above someone, which the typical paranoid Arfcommer would misconstrue as "one o them dadgum tech-no-logic drone thingeroos" spying on him.

Not to mention that from a distance, every camera at a certain angle looks like it's pointing at you, which further reinforces the idea that someone is spying on you... probably a combination of paranoia and arrogance thinking you're interesting enough for that.

Also could easily be a kid with a Parrot he got for Christmas and either doesn't know that trying to spy on other people is frowned upon, or is just having fun flying around the area. And then some knucklehead fires a shotgun into the air to shoot him down in the middle of a crowded neighborhood

What's your address?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly?

Quoted:
What's your address?

Sounds like we need some regulation since the hobby won't regulate itself.

Like, if it's a neighborhood where I'm legally enjoined from discharging a weapon - it's also clearly unsafe to be flying a drone around.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Meh.

My old mans house abuts a ~20 acre field where people fly some different RC planes and copters. Some of the gas planes move at a good clip (and are loud as fuck) and when they fly over his property it is very annoying. The dogs go ballistic and hate the things, and sometimes the people are doing flips or maneuvers right over the house/deck/yard and if they lost control could easily kill or injure someone.

I don't hate them, because I want to fly them, too. But id be lying if I said I never daydream about suppressing a shotgun and taking some down.

about every six months one crashes into his trees.
View Quote
If I was your old man I'd have some fun by putting up a really tall mist net.

Fuck them if they can't see it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah,
Lets put the guy in prison for it!
Only in New Jersey would such a thing happen.
Right or wrong Prison? Seriously?

They should change the name from garden state to "Draconian State"
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Maybe, but CA can very much redefine their state parameters for trespass and what constitutes disorderly conduct.

Phrase it so that it's any visual aid suspended less than 350ft above a privately owned or occupied property and make it not an air related charge but a trespass, and guess who can't do shit?  The FAA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

Well - they aren't all visual aids.  I don't know how someone on the ground would positively discriminate between the two types.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Like, if it's a neighborhood where I'm legally enjoined from discharging a weapon - it's also clearly unsafe to be flying a drone around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly?

Quoted:

What's your address?

Definitely. We need more gun regulations too since people keep shooting each other.

(ib4hurrhurrdronesareunconstitutional)

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Motion activated paint ball guns on the roof!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#41]
There should be a "Shotgun Rule" for drones.

If you are flying close enough to be taken down by a shotgun, then you are too close.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I hope he likes his jail time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree. Pay for the drone, plus an extra 500 to the owner of the drone since he had to deal with this bullshit and 1000 to the state for wasting law enforcement's time.

Sending someone to jail for shooting a remote controlled toy is stupid.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you see all the responses to Google Glass where chest-thumpers stated they would flat out assault anyone they encountered wearing Glass? It was interdasting to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#50]
The ARFCOM members who are so extreme, pounding their chest and stating "I'll shoot you down if you come over my property!", are extremely uneducated on this topic.  Further, they are extremely hypocritical!

It would be great if ARFCOM could have a rule where anytime the word "DRONE" was displayed, a random algorithm would randomize and select any of the following words in its place and authored by another use:

- AR15
- Guns
- Firearms
- GLOCK
- DRONE
- Magazine
- {etc}

Then go back and re-read that sentence again.  I would wager that a majority of the ARFCOMers who made the anti-drone statement would be offended, once the word changed and it was authored by someone else.  For the most part, it works very cleanly, at least to the point where one would understand how silly they sound.

As gun owners, we have all seen the persecution against us.  It covers a wide variety of topics, from ammo restrictions to the color or look of the weapon.  The topics are very close in comparison, hence the emotional reaction by these threads.

Education is usually the best way to solve these ignorant ideals or thoughts, utilizing the same approach as the PRO-GUN industry.  Overall, I can clearly understand why a person is feeling anti-drone, and if I didn't know better myself, I could have formed a similar opinion.  I have taken anti-drone people and let them fly (under supervision) the crafts FPV and I have yet to have anyone not walk away in a different light.  It doesn't mean that those individuals are now instantly ignorant towards pro-drone either; as with anything, understanding something requires one to apply logic.  Just with firearms, a person controls the item and has to make the right decision when operating.  

I think it would be fair to say that all of us in the ARFCOM community agree it is not right if a wacko takes a gun out and shoots 20 people at a mall, right?  Further, I would wager to say that I also believe the group would be against banning high capacity magazines, because of that mall shooting - right?  The same logic applies to the owner/operator/enthusiasts of "Drones".

- Mike
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top