Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2015 5:24:10 PM EDT
Saw this on a trip to Kentucky a few days ago.  Thought it would bring out the lolz in Arf.   Enjoy  

I'm still trying to finger out the meaning of it all.  Maybe a few more beers will make things clear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd Hazard a guess and say that's just Perry County being Perry County, bro.

I'm more surprised it isn't a giant 3 on the side, to be fair with a flag of Dale Sr's face
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
USMC...
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
USMC...
View Quote

That is probably the best explanation there.  At least it's spelled right.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Betcha anything it don't belong to no fatbody.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Semper F yeah!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Hazard is an experience in the word hollow monkey or as you yanks like to say rednecks

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
USMC
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I spent the night in Hazard once, years ago. Had breakfast at the worlds largest Waffle House.
Apparently every single citizen had mastered the art of going thru life with a lit cigarette dangling
offa their bottom lip. Even most of the children.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I spent the night in Hazard once, years ago. Had breakfast at the worlds largest Waffle House.
Apparently every single citizen had mastered the art of going thru life with a lit cigarette dangling
View Quote

I don't even know if this was in Hazard County or not, hell it all blurs together when you get into Kentucky.  

All I know is we have:
1.  A truck
2.  Painted black
3.  American flag
4.  Trying to resemble the General Lee
5.  Marine sticker

It's one of those times you swing around for a second pass to in the Kroger parking lot to take a pic, lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hazard is an experience in the word hollow monkey or as you yanks like to say rednecks  
View Quote

Anything east of Lexington is pretty much Uncle Dad central.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Shit, Hazard was the 'big city' where we grew up and I'm not even kidding. Bell/Harlan county border area child here. I was 18 before you could convince me there were towns with more than one red light. We didn't get out of the holler much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shit, Hazard was the 'big city' where we grew up and I'm not even kidding. Bell/Harlan county border area child here. I was 18 before you could convince me there were towns with more than one red light. We didn't get out of the holler much.
View Quote

Fellow Harlan Countian here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Visited a friend in Harlan county when I was around 12. For dinner we had coon and pinto beans with a deer ass grilled over a fire pit. Their home was a mud chincked (sp?) log cabin. When you flushed the shitter it drained out of the bottom of the house into a creek. It was like going back in time 100 years. At the time I was like, WTF? At 40 years of age I hope they are still there living the same way and wish I could move in next door.... Well I hope to move at least 100 yards from the single wide that got moved across the road from the mud slide. They just ran a water hose and power cords across the road and kept on keeping on.??
Simple folks are for the most part good folks.

ETA: Jimmy, if you're a member here it was coon and not possum. I don't give a shit what your dad said..... I just keep telling myself that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in eastern ky

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Visited a friend in Harlan county when I was around 12. For dinner we had coon and pinto beans with a deer ass grilled over a fire pit. Their home was a mud chincked (sp?) log cabin. When you flushed the shitter it drained out of the bottom of the house into a creek. It was like going back in time 100 years. At the time I was like, WTF? At 40 years of age I hope they are still there living the same way and wish I could move in next door.... Well I hope to move at least 100 yards from the single wide that got moved across the road from the mud slide. They just ran a water hose and power cords across the road and kept on keeping on.??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever been to one of the roadside bars?  Those are the small structures that have no signs and no windows. I had some friends who went once. (I was too pussy) This skinny woman that looked like she had been on meth since birth looked at one of my buddies and said "I reckon I'm gonna fuck you tonight" then turned to walked toward him and fell flat faced on the ground passed out.  That's when they left lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are soup beans

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those are soup beans  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are soup beans  

I know I had  some for supper. I just didn't want to confuse the Yankees and rednecks on here. Only a hillbilly would understand. Hell now I'm homesick and someone stirred up some dust in the room.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ever been to one of the roadside bars?  Those are the small structures that have no signs and no windows. I had some friends who went once. (I was too pussy) This skinny woman that looked like she had been on meth since birth looked at one of my buddies and said "I reckon I'm gonna fuck you tonight" then turned to walked toward him and fell flat faced on the ground passed out.  That's when they left lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I was 12 so.... Yes, yes I have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes that's just Hazard. I've known/worked with a handful of Hazard folks. Every one of them was "different".  I don't have picks on this phone but I has seen a tractor and trailer driven to my Walmart along with a freshly flipped over Suburban with most of the roof smashed in some.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
fuck me, i have to be in kentucky next week...
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those are soup beans  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are soup beans  

Side note,  is there anything that goes better with  soup beans than hog jowls and fried taters and corn bread.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

If someone offers you soup beans with "meat" be weary... Be very weary.

ETA: and if you hear banjo music your post may come true!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm in eastern ky  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in eastern ky  

I feel like I should take up some money for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

What part? We have good BBQ down here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best ones are the ones that just have "cold beer" spray-painted on the side of the building. Usually red krylon, usually misspelled. That's the only way any outsider would know it was actually a bar. That one was just outside Arjay in Bell, best I recall.

Who remembers how bad possum stinks up the house when grandma cooked them? Or was that coon? I can't remember. One of them we had about every sunday that grandma didn't want to kill a chicken and God it stunk up the house for days. Greasy, brown meat. Gamey as hell.

Good times.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in eastern ky  

If he is within 100 miles of the Cumberland gap he does not need sympathy. It is truly "Gods Country" with a little hard work it will give you everything you need.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The best ones are the ones that just have "cold beer" spray-painted on the side of the building. Usually red krylon, usually misspelled. That's the only way any outsider would know it was actually a bar. That one was just outside Arjay in Bell, best I recall.

Who remembers how bad possum stinks up the house when grandma cooked them? Or was that coon? I can't remember. One of them we had about every sunday that grandma didn't want to kill a chicken and God it stunk up the house for days. Greasy, brown meat. Gamey as hell.

Good times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good times.

If I don't know you I probably should. Good times for sure. I have not been back to the area in 10 or 12 years. I miss the scenery and the lifestyle but I don't like being broke.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Side note,  is there anything that goes better with  soup beans than hog jowls and fried taters and corn bread.
View Quote

No. There ain't. Maybe some onions, too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I once drove through like 2 counties looking for beer because everything around me was dry.  We stopped in some lonesome gas station and told the guy at the counter who we were and if he knew any place that sold beer near there.  Dude looked left and right, then said "come to the back, I got some good stuff back there."  I shit you not, he had a cooler of bud lite stashed away in a cooler behind a main cooler.  

We still bought it lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never ate them but we were always served "kilt lettuce and onions" it was basically a loose leaf lettuce and green onions wilted by the hot hog jowl fat. I had my standards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#32]
You have no idea.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You have no idea.......
View Quote

Yes I do. I'm just leaving out the shit that may incriminate me or my grandparents.

ETA: wait that didn't sound right. I'm talking poverty not puberty.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I spent the night in Hazard once in the'70's, and I want to go back to see it now.

View Quote

How purty is your mouth boy?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
you have the right attitude...

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up south of that region... Safely across the TN line,

Several good friends of mine grew up in / around Hazard.

I laugh my ass of now at the folks referred to as "hillbillies" or "hilljacks" around my area... They're city folk. paved roads and running water?  Hah. Flatland hillbillies at best.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm brangin' a banjo, maybe a fiddle, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent the night in Hazard once in the'70's, and I want to go back to see it now.

How purty is your mouth boy?

I'm brangin' a banjo, maybe a fiddle, too.

Don't bother. You ever played a mouth harp?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#42]
'69 Chargers are hard to come by these days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes I do. I'm just leaving out the shit that may incriminate me or my grandparents.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have no idea.......

1 hour from Hazard , WV/KY border.........Hatfield/McCoy feud county.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I grew up south of that region... Safely across the TN line,

Several good friends of mine grew up in / around Hazard.

I laugh my ass of now at the folks referred to as "hillbillies" or "hilljacks" around my area... They're city folk. paved roads and running water?  Hah. Flatland hillbillies at best.
View Quote

Anything below a 30 degree incline while traveling belongs to a redneck or a Yankee. Hillbillies see nothing but blue sky when traveling. Heavenly blue sky!  Occasionally we will see a ditch or two but some feller will come along shortly and pull us  out with his tractor.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't even know if this was in Hazard County or not, hell it all blurs together when you get into Kentucky.  

All I know is we have:
1.  A truck
2.  Painted black
3.  American flag
5.  Marine sticker

It's one of those times you swing around for a second pass to in the Kroger parking lot to take a pic, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I know is we have:
1.  A truck
2.  Painted black
3.  American flag
5.  Marine sticker

There is no county in Kentucky by the name of Hazard. There is a city that lies within Perry County, KY.

You're thinking of the fictional Hazzard County, Georgia, to which the show "takes" place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have no idea.......

I am from just over yonder you know where  big tower is above the sand caves?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Saw this on a trip to Kentucky a few days ago.  Thought it would bring out the lolz in Arf.   Enjoy  

http://i.imgur.com/aEICtZQ.jpg

I'm still trying to finger out the meaning of it all.  Maybe a few more beers will make things clear.
View Quote

Seeing as how there is a USMC bumper sticker and a rear window sticker, I figured it out
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is no county in Kentucky by the name of Hazard. There is a city that lies within Perry County, KY.

You're thinking of the fictional Hazzard County, Georgia, to which the show "takes" place.
View Quote

Well shit you're right and I knew it right when you said it.  That dude in the pickup got me all discombobulated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are quite a few of those beer joints on the Tn/Ky line in Clay Co. Tn. I've had the same experience a time or 2.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Eastern KY checking in.   Who knows where I snapped this gem?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top