Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprised that you haven't gotten to 50 shirts already.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:
16 days left to buy a U307 T.
https://www.booster.com/u307-phss-panther
View Quote

Bought.

Keep going guys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
Surprised that you haven't gotten to 50 shirts already.
View Quote

I never thought that was possible.  That was the goal the students set, and I'm proud that arfcom has bought so many.

Thank you all again.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By elcope:

Bought.

Keep going guys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elcope:
16 days left to buy a U307 T.

Bought.

Keep going guys.

Thank you so much for the extra donation!  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Mrs. EBR has been following this with me so she wanted a shirt plus some.

Come on folks lets get it to 50.

EBR
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Figured I'd bring you up to an even $800. Keep up the good work Guns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
Figured I'd bring you up to an even $800. Keep up the good work Guns.
View Quote

You folks are truly awesome.  Thank you so much.   Arfcom's generosity is astonishing.  

Update 4/25

I've been holding out a bit on bad news, but I think we have a fix now, so it's time to share again.

The sound system was eating up more juice than it could take in.  

After a couple days, it was dead, and it could never recharge enough to get going again.  They told me this early last week, and I was just too busy, other than to tell them to fix it.   I got the normal head nods and I was sure today, when I went to question, that I would get the same old "we haven't had a chance to take a look at it", but to my surprise, they do have a fix, and it should be back installed again today at lunch.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Dinner at Sanfords.

First, a few students wanted to try Rocky Mountain Oysters

View Quote

I thought you lived in ranch country? Bull fries/oysters at every branding I've worked.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:
I thought you lived in ranch country? Bull fries/oysters at every branding I've worked.....
View All Quotes

Dinner at Sanfords.

Just no.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel like I have been in a German WW2 Submarine movie...awesome stuff
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Dinner at Sanfords.

Not everyone in Wyoming has ridden a horse.  Not everyone lives on a ranch, or been to a branding, and not all of us are dumb enough to eat a bulls testicles.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:41:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#12]
The system is back up and live.  It's designed to shut off after the battery drops to a certain voltage.  They seem to think this might work, but I have a feeling it's not going to solve the underlying problem of having it working 24/7 and draining the battery when there is no light to charge it.

We will see over the next couple days.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Not everyone in Wyoming has ridden a horse.  Not everyone lives on a ranch, or been to a branding, and not all of us are dumb enough to eat a bulls testicles.

View All Quotes
Dinner at Sanfords.

LOL, I know just giving you shit. As we cut calves the nuts go in a bucket and get grilled right away. Little salt and pepper to taste.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#14]
Update 4/27

Last night for two hours, there was an all district art show here at the high school.   It was very well attended, although mostly by parents of little kids singing in with their classes.

There was a huge interest in seeing the Sub Project.   We've gotten the projects placed around the whole school now, so people were milling around in the halls checking out past projects as well as the sub.   At one point there was a crowd of about 50 down at the sub display.  Pretty cool.  

Today was the day we scheduled for a crew photo.  Unfortuneately, it's snowing outside today, so there is no cool light coming into the  display today.  

Crew Photo.    

We had one student not bring their shirt today, so they were nominated to be the photographer.

The original Boat Crew.

[

T shirt link  3 days left to order.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
It's fucking snowing there?  It's been 80+ all week here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

It's Wyoming.  

80 last week, snowing this week.  Pretty normal for spring.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I had to drain the pool to fix some issues.  I'm hoping I get it all fixed and filled by Saturday
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Dinner at Sanfords.

Wyoming, like most states, is urban in that most people live in cities and towns.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quite proud of you Mr. Gilman.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Staggunner:
Quite proud of you Mr. Gilman.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow!

What a wonderful tribute to a GREAT thread!

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Great job, and great to get the custodian in the pics, he deserves it!  Can't wait for my shirt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Update 4/27

Last night for two hours, there was an all district art show here at the high school.   It was very well attended, although mostly by parents of little kids singing in with their classes.

There was a huge interest in seeing the Sub Project.   We've gotten the projects placed around the whole school now, so people were milling around in the halls checking out past projects as well as the sub.   At one point there was a crowd of about 50 down at the sub display.  Pretty cool.  

Today was the day we scheduled for a crew photo.  Unfortuneately, it's snowing outside today, so there is no cool light coming into the  display today.  

Crew Photo.    

We had one student not bring their shirt today, so they were nominated to be the photographer.

The original Boat Crew.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1688/26405381810_2dabcd26eb_b.jpg

[https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1659/26405342840_c5f3e6e158_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1507/26585922332_054e9e6198_b.jpg

T shirt link  3 days left to order.

View Quote

Whew. Just made it. My wife is going to kill me buying another t-shirt. Everyone I buy I have to throw away 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I will have to order a shirt now
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Last day to order shirts is tomorrow.   Get'em while you can!  

And.....Thank you ARFCOM for all the support.  Simply amazing generosity.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#26]

I am ordering a few. I am so proud of what you and your crew have created.

Well done.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Last day to order shirts is tomorrow.   Get'em while you can!  

And.....Thank you ARFCOM for all the support.  Simply amazing generosity.
View Quote

Meh, a teacher like you and students like that are worth it.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#28]
The system is back up and live.  It's designed to shut off after the battery drops to a certain voltage.  They seem to think this might work, but I have a feeling it's not going to solve the underlying problem of having it working 24/7 and draining the battery when there is no light to charge it.

View Quote

Maybe it's been discussed,  but mostly I'm just here for the pictures

But, hook it to a motion sensor so it doesn't run when nobody's there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Soylent:

View All Quotes

It is on a motion sensor.  Unfortunately,  the sensor uses juice checking every few tenths of a second for motion.   Thats what's been explained to me.  

The new program should limit that a bit, but the sun hasn't shown in about a week, so we are waiting to see what happens when the sun actually shines for a day or so.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I lied. I bought one shirt and threw down some bread for the cause, man.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#31]

It is on a motion sensor.  Unfortunately,  the sensor uses juice checking every few tenths of a second for motion.   Thats what's been explained to me.  

The new program should limit that a bit, but the sun hasn't shown in about a week, so we are waiting to see what happens when the sun actually shines for a day or so.
View All Quotes

Is there a light switch for/in that area? If there is, that switch can be replaced by a motion sensor switch and you could just tie into that same circuit.

I know this has likely already been covered, but you are a teacher and, well, I ain't lettin' you off any lighter than any of the ones I had

Also? You will have a lot harder time sending me to Saturday school than they did
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:57:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#32]
15hrs left for a T shirt

I actually started rereading this thread again last night.   I got to about page 24 before my wife said it was time to go to bed.  You folks had so many amazing ideas that made this project so much better than we ever envisioned.    

I'm still planning on getting a video walk through one last time, without ladders in the way, and the sun actually shining.  Hopefully next week some time.....the weather and robotics permitting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Is there a light switch for/in that area? If there is, that switch can be replaced by a motion sensor switch and you could just tie into that same circuit.

I know this has likely already been covered, but you are a teacher and, well, I ain't lettin' you off any lighter than any of the ones I had

Also? You will have a lot harder time sending me to Saturday school than they did
View All Quotes

We can't tie into any existing power.  We have to use only solar.  We may have to install a third panel in the skylight.  If he sun comes out, students will be able to test the new program and see if that will work.  Until then, not a lot we can do.  The student heading this part of the robotics did come by Thursday and gave me his update.  

We will know more next week.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#34]
Thank you Arfcom for the support of buying t shirts and donating so graciously.

37 shirts sold and an astonishing $1100 raised!!
You should be seeing them in the next few weeks.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Glad to be of support.

BUT now we wait to see what the next project will be. The summer will be longer with the waiting.

Will it be a jet fighter, B-29 Enola Gay, the USS Arizona prior pearl harbor, or maybe an old steam locomotive jugging across the planes, A moose eating a bear?

Oh what will it be?

EBR
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By EBR666:
Glad to be of support.

BUT now we wait to see what the next project will be. The summer will be longer with the waiting.

Will it be a jet fighter, B-29 Enola Gay, the USS Arizona prior pearl harbor, or maybe an old steam locomotive jugging across the planes, A moose eating a bear?

Oh what will it be?

EBR
View Quote

I think a scale model of the spruce goose would bebprtty incredible, you. Can even use the correct scale materials in her construction!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:46:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#37]
Glad to be of support.

Oh what will it be?

EBR
View Quote

That is the question being asked quite a bit.   I was dreaming about it last night.  It's a long summer,  so I've got time to decide later.

If I had the same crew next year.....I'd seriously consider a Samurai warrior dressed in full armor on horseback.  Life size....horse and rider sculpted out of metal. The samurai holding a lit up lightsaber.  But I don't have that crew and I don't think it's possible without them.  Put it on wheels so it could be rolled around the school to different areas for display and cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#38]

That is the question being asked quite a bit.   I was dreaming about it last night.  It's a long summer,  so I've got time to decide later.

If I had the same crew next year.....I'd seriously consider a Samurai warrior dressed in full armor on horseback.  Life size....horse and rider sculpted out of metal. The samurai holding a lit up lightsaber.  But I don't have that crew and I don't think it's possible without them.  Put it on wheels so it could be rolled around the school to different areas for display and cleaning.
View All Quotes
Glad to be of support.

Oh what will it be?

EBR

[

This would be a great steam locomotive to do. I have been up to the the Ford Museum several times and I am always intrigued by this display, the pinnacle of steam engine design.  This thing is massive............very impressive. After all your kids could bang it out in about a month, month and a half at the most...........

Guns, have a very nice summer off, you deserve it. Congratulations on another very good year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#39]
While Nice, I'm kind of partial to the NS 611 since it's local and still does excursions...

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#40]
The challenge is that Many of the detailing is going on the topsides,where people will never get a chance to admire it.
Hanging it upside down means gravity will win. Ugh.

Harder to find things that look good from the bottom & sides (Which is what most will see.)
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
The challenge is that Many of the detailing is going on the topsides,where people will never get a chance to admire it.

Harder to find things that look good from the bottom & sides (Which is what most will see.)
View Quote

I'm not opposed to hanging something upside down, for the visual effect, but I does make it difficult for kids to work on while building......unless maybe we make it with hooks on both the top and bottom?   Huhhh..   I'll try to remember that next fall.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm not opposed to hanging something upside down, for the visual effect, but I does make it difficult for kids to work on while building......unless maybe we make it with hooks on both the top and bottom?   Huhhh..   I'll try to remember that next fall.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mak_380:

If you decide to do a sinking/sunken ship you could build it on a platform and mount it, inverted, on the ceiling in the area similar to the one the sub is in. That way students looking up at it are looking 'down' at it, and you wouldn't have to worry about putting hooks on the presentation side of it. Definitely seems like it'd be an interesting presentation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:10:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#43]

View All Quotes
Glad to be of support.

Oh what will it be?

EBR

You COULD  fail them all

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Next year needs to bring Powell High nice Blackbird...SR-71 Blackbird that is.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
View Quote

Double the fun - Corsair diving on a Zero!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R71] [#46]
" />

It's the 100th anniversary of WW I plus it could almost be built 1:1 scale.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By R71:

http://i63.tinypic.com/28wcf3m.jpg" />

It's the 100th anniversary of WW I plus it could almost be built 1:1 scale.
View Quote
They've already done a 1/2 scale Sopwith Camel.  Besides, I would have thought that someone with the name R71 would agree with me on the Blackbird.    

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
View Quote

Ooooooooooooooo..........

We........could........do.........that........
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:  Next year needs to bring Powell High nice Blackbird...SR-71 Blackbird that is.  

It would be beautiful.  However, other than the extended landing gear, what sort of detail work is there?  It's sorta like building a model of the Concorde.  A steam locomotive would be detail insane, particularly if you hung it right side up - imagine the detail needed underneath.

Lots of detail, interesting looking underside & sides...  what about a firetruck?  Steam shovel?  M3 Grant/Lee tank?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

It would be beautiful.  However, other than the extended landing gear, what sort of detail work is there?  It's sorta like building a model of the Concorde.  A steam locomotive would be detail insane, particularly if you hung it right side up - imagine the detail needed underneath.

Lots of detail, interesting looking underside & sides...  what about a firetruck?  Steam shovel?  M3 Grant/Lee tank?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:  Next year needs to bring Powell High nice Blackbird...SR-71 Blackbird that is.  

I don't  know.......I'm thinking a three piece SR71 would be pretty crazy to build.   Nose up, inverted, with robotics coming up with some lights in the engines????  The cockpit windows, paint markings......clear tubes coming out the back with Led clusters.....

I wonder if we could get a real flight suit donated.....get a structure in it and have it on the wall complete with helmet?
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top