Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Seeing that makes me feel like I'm in some museum. Well done to all hands.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Lets put the T-shirt link on this page also shall we?

https://www.booster.com/u307-phss-panther

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Update 4/8   Ohhhhhh  so close to finished.   The program crashed again on the sounds.   The battery was also dead this morning.   There's some problems with the set up that needs fixed, but the Robotics is getting ready for Skills USA, and didn't seem to have time to mess with it this week.

We got some Velcro put on the access hatch today.  Makes it easy to get in and out.    I just didn't think we'd need to access it so many times.  

The mirrors got put up this morning.  

Even early this morning, sometime after 7, the windows were giving off some great reflections.

Unfortuneatly, not everyone remembered to wear their shirt today, and several were gone for activities, so it was just 5 of us with the shirts today, and two were missing at the time of our little photo today.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]

MOAR MIRRORS!

Looks great, it really shows off the detailing on the topside...
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Sure AWESOMENESS!

But label me weird, I like the pink version of the shirt better myself as it seems to have better contrast. Still gonna buy one or two though....

Great job you guys!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raffi383] [#6]
Bought shirt #21 and donated an equivalent amount.

The swirls and mirrors look great.

Hope no one gets sea sick ones you get the fans blowing and the reflections start moving.

Great job on the boat.

EDIT:  Once, not ones.  Jeeze I can't believe how bad my spelling and typing has gotten.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raffi383:
Bought shirt #21 and donated an equivalent amount.

The swirls and mirrors look great.

Hope no one gets sea sick ones you get the fans blowing and the reflections start moving.

Great job on the boat.
View Quote

The principal mentioned this this morning.  He had to go down and let a substitute into one of the rooms and mentioned how they were moving everywhere.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Get some BIG woofers and play the depth charge sound effects from U-571 the movie
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about the number, but shirt ordered tonight!  Sorry I couldn't do more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By UnluckyD:
Not sure about the number, but shirt ordered tonight!  Sorry I couldn't do more.
View Quote

Seriously, you folks ROCK!

That was tshirt #22, and the campaign has raised $470.  That's more than our annual Art Guild fundraiser made this year!!!!  

Very cool ARFCOM, Thank you again!
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleARon] [#12]

Originally Posted By guns762:

That was tshirt #22, and the campaign has raised $470.  That's more than our annual Art Guild fundraiser made this year!!!!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By UnluckyD:

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Odered mine
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow--the mirrors turned out great!  Sea swirls actually work pretty well!

Nice job, crew!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
For those that I promised a video at the end.......I'm waiting for Robotics to rewrite the program.  They will be back tomorrow, and I was told today that they would try to have it done by Friday.  

I've been told this before, so we will see.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting ready for State Art.  

I told the students to go down and get a couple more shots of the finished display.  This is what I got:

The good news is, the Robotics group was back to work on rewriting the sound program, and I told them...."One Ping only!" needed to be added to the track list as long as they were working on it.   The chip is still out getting updated, but we should have it working again tomorrow.
Finally.

Students were laying out photos of the progress to put in a display to take down to Casper next week.  Doesn't do it justice, but at least people will get to see how it all came together....sort of.

They will glue these down tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#18]
16 days left to buy a U307 T.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#19]

ttps://www.booster.com/u307-phss-panther?type=1&side=front
View Quote

Some reason link not working

Try thishttps://www.booster.com/u307-phss-panther
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MrHold:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrHold:

ttps://www.booster.com/u307-phss-panther?type=1&side=front

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to include a picture of the kids wearing the t-shirts too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:20:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#22]
Update 4/15
All Finished.

The Robotics group has the sound unit working again.   Next week is going to be hectic with State Art, but the following week, we will try to get a T-shirt day and get a picture of the crew in front of the boat.

See ya then!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Update 4/15

All Finished.

The Robotics group has the sound unit working again.   Next week is going to be hectic with State Art, but the following week, we will try to get a T-shirt day and get a picture of the crew in front of the boat.

See ya then!

View Quote
Best of luck to you and your team at State Guns!  

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Getting ready for State Art.  

I told the students to go down and get a couple more shots of the finished display.  This is what I got:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1516/25828906983_9e0503a066_b.jpg

The good news is, the Robotics group was back to work on rewriting the sound program, and I told them...."One Ping only!" needed to be added to the track list as long as they were working on it.   The chip is still out getting updated, but we should have it working again tomorrow.
Finally.

Students were laying out photos of the progress to put in a display to take down to Casper next week.  Doesn't do it justice, but at least people will get to see how it all came together....sort of.

They will glue these down tomorrow.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1499/26431719005_c7fea8b823_b.jpg

View Quote

Sweet Jebus. You are a heck of an artist and the type of teacher I wish I had. Well done.

I'd contribute to the next project. Any more T-shirts for sale?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#25]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

Sweet Jebus. You are a heck of an artist and the type of teacher I wish I had. Well done.

I'd contribute to the next project. Any more T-shirts for sale?
View Quote

Thanks for the support!

T shirts are available till the end of the month.

A friend and former coworker came by the classroom today to interview students who worked on the boat.  He's giving a keynote address  to educators and he wants to use this project as an example.  He took video answers from the students on why they enjoy my class and why they like the project.  

He then asked me a few questions about why I do thsee projects.  

He's read this whole thread, and we talked about the critique that we got from it and how Arfcom made the project so much better.  

We discussed the student buy-in and how our special shout out to Cathy connected the students with so much more than a normal project.  

When I get the youtube video he's putting together, I'll share it here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Good luck at State. I hope people are as amazed by the pics as we are.

Here's an idea for a future project. You'll even be able to take it State.

It's a mount at the local Cabela's store. A nice whitetail buck laying the bow of a wooden canoe. There's a a Kentucky style muzzle loader, a couple of leg hold traps, a kerosene lamp and other vintage gear in there too. Definatly something your kids could pull off with Aces. And fits your transportation theme.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E7FAFEA0-2D7E-4460-9B71-3D5A5410BFDA.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Mobile%20Uploads/E7FAFEA0-2D7E-4460-9B71-3D5A5410BFDA.jpg</a>

It's a mount at the local Cabela's store. A nice whitetail buck laying the bow of a wooden canoe. There's a a Kentucky style muzzle loader, a couple of leg hold traps, a kerosene lamp and other vintage gear in there too. Definatly something your kids could pull off with Aces. And fits your transportation theme.
View Quote

I love that display. They have a similar one in South Dakota.    

My dad and my grandpa made two canoes like that by hand.  They both burned up in a barn fire  25yrs ago.  My dad was burning ditches and was saving his bee hives.....didn't notice the hay barn start up.  

I'll definitely keep that in mine.  Doesn't take up much space either.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#28]

My dad and my grandpa made two canoes like that by hand.  They both burned up in a barn fire  25yrs ago.  My dad was burning ditches and was saving his bee hives.....didn't notice the hay barn start up.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E7FAFEA0-2D7E-4460-9B71-3D5A5410BFDA.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Mobile%20Uploads/E7FAFEA0-2D7E-4460-9B71-3D5A5410BFDA.jpg</a>

Let me know if you need pics. I live just a few miles from the Cabela's here in Rapid.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok, so the sub is not going to the state competition. Booooooo!

From that thread:
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
<snip>
Maybe we can do a bakesale or something, for next year. You're building a working scale model of the Titanic, right?
View Quote

that's the one that will go through all the stages of sinking right? from the ship hitting the Berg, going down by the bow, up ending, breaking in half, bow sinking, and then the stern? Damn, that is going to be one Hellacious display, the UBoot will have been child's play after that. I can just imagine the detail that will go into it.
View Quote

You know, I wanted to do the uboat that sunk the Lusitania but we couldn't find enough info to do it justice.

If we'd done that, and a similar, long area is right next to the submarine right now, the Lusitania as the next project would have been amazing.

You would have been able to walk from the submarine in one break out to the huge ship in the next, although I doubt we could get away with a similar 1/8th scale.
View Quote

Then guns said we had to get out of his taxidermy thread so we have to come play over here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Then guns said we had to get out of his taxidermy thread so we have to come play over here.
View Quote

That's not exactly true.....

The sub is represented in a three panel collage. I just haven't gotten picture of it yet all set up.  They put on QR codes for a link to virtual tours, sounds, and of course, to buy a T Shirt.  Only 9 days left!  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#31]

From that thread:

View All Quotes

From that thread:
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:
<snip>
Maybe we can do a bakesale or something, for next year. You're building a working scale model of the Titanic, right?

that's the one that will go through all the stages of sinking right? from the ship hitting the Berg, going down by the bow, up ending, breaking in half, bow sinking, and then the stern? Damn, that is going to be one Hellacious display, the UBoot will have been child's play after that. I can just imagine the detail that will go into it.

You know, I wanted to do the uboat that sunk the Lusitania but we couldn't find enough info to do it justice.

If we'd done that, and a similar, long area is right next to the submarine right now, the Lusitania as the next project would have been amazing.

You would have been able to walk from the submarine in one break out to the huge ship in the next, although I doubt we could get away with a similar 1/8th scale.

My bad, won't happen again, Guns is right mixing posts could prove to be catastrophic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#32]

The sub is represented in a three panel collage. I just haven't gotten picture of it yet all set up.  They put on QR codes for a link to virtual tours, sounds, and of course, to buy a T Shirt.  Only 9 days left!  
View All Quotes

Hey, this is GD! Rumor, innuendo and hyperbole are the watchwords of the day. And if they wanted to read what you *REALLY* said, they could follow the bear thread themselves.

Hey, you know, it'd be really cool if you could have a webcam/drone activated by those QR codes, that would run on a track showing the sub in Real Time. Maybe the robotics team would do that for you...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#33]
Some of the boat crew.....totally out of their element at an open mic event at State Art

The fold out

Looking down the row from the fold out.  Lots of artwork.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dilbert_556] [#34]

Some of the boat crew.....totally put of their element at an open mic event at State Art

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/25962956514_6b15f61890_k.jpg

The fold out

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1648/25965151273_54001d141c_k.jpg

Looking down the row from the fold out.  Lots of artwork.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1589/25965156833_24f73c22d2_k.jpg
View Quote
Suggestion for you guns.  Illustrate the length of the submarine by placing two markers on the chairs behind the tables showing the true length.  Show the markers to people as you are explaining the sub exhibit. The picture exhibit is well done, but it doesn't give a real sense of scale.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#35]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
Suggestion for you guns.  Illustrate the length of the submarine by placing two markers on the chairs behind the tables showing the true length.  Show the markers to people as you are explaining the sub exhibit. The picture exhibit is well done, but it doesn't give a real sense of scale.

View Quote

It would be nice to do that, but without someone there to explain, I doubt most would understand.  And, really, the fold out is kind of pathetic.....LoL.    It's ok, though, many will take the time to look it over and appreciate the work that went into the project.  

There really is no way to really appreciate the size till you see it in person.  Even the videos don't do it justice.  

I showed the video to a couple teachers I talk to every year and one asked if it was a kit.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Ordered and donated -- Best wishes!

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#37]
Originally Posted By babirl:
Ordered and donated -- Best wishes!

View Quote

Thank You!  We appreciate it!

ETA: Holy Shit!   $100
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#38]

It would be nice to do that, but without someone there to explain, I doubt most would understand.  And, really, the fold out is kind of pathetic.....LoL.    It's ok, though, many will take the time to look it over and appreciate the work that went into the project.  

There really is no way to really appreciate the size till you see it in person.  Even the videos don't do it justice.  
I showed the video to a couple teachers I talk to every year and one asked if it was a kit.  

View All Quotes

Could you do something like a sign at the exhibit?

"When you are done reading this, turn around and look for the orange flag. If you were standing at the bow of this model, that is where the stern would be resting. "

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Ashraam:

"When you are done reading this, turn around and look for the orange flag. If you were standing at the bow of this model, that is where the stern would be resting. "  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ashraam:

I'll see If I can find a printer at the hotel this morning.....and some kind of flag.  

I saw some being used for something else last night.  The gal might allow me to borrow a couple for today to use the way you are describing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#40]
We did get the "flags" up and directions to look up at the flags.  

Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#41]

We did get the "flags" up and directions to look up at the flags.  

Thanks for the suggestion!
View Quote
 I hope you get lots of comments!

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:53:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#42]
Kallnojoy,  Thank you for the $25 Donation!  We appreciate it.

State Art was good to us in ribbons.  We got 55 out of 115 entries.  

The boat fold out did not receive one.
Not sure why.  Just the way it goes some times.  Most people did not know how to use a QR code, it seemed, by watching a few.  When I was there with Subcanis,  I showed a kid what to do and they didn't seem to understand.  A couple teachers had the she problem at the bear project.  I had to help them download a scanner app.  

We are getting ready for dinner at the restaurant that inspired all of these installation projects.  I'll get some photos.

Sanfords, in East Casper, WY.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#43]
State Art was good to us in ribbons. We got 55 out of 115 entries.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#44]
Dinner at Sanfords.

First, a few students wanted to try Rocky Mountain Oysters

First bites....

Dinner....

The inspiring decorations....just a tiny few that were around our tables.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#45]
You're the best, guns!

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Come to think of it... a C-47 in D-Day colors would be hot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Good lookin crew Guns, enjoying this and the Bear thread immensely!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow guns, I missed this thread until today. I loved following the Dragon thread last year. On the other hand I didn't have to wait for updates.

Amazing work as usual, please tell the kids they did awesome! <--- that's soda since they're minors.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#49]
Not the boat project, but we found out we had two more honors at State Art today.

Student Choice awards.  Picked out of the 4500 projects.  

2 out of 3 ain't bad for 3D.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#50]

If you need pictures of the real deal, let me know. Local museum has 4 DR III replicas, a BF109 and many, MANY other cool old warbirds
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top