Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was taught Tap, Rack, Ready.  As police, we were taught (back in the '90s) to analyze whether deadly force was still justified.  If not, no bang.
View Quote

You could Tap rack revolvers?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
S.P.O.R.T.S
View Quote

When you're interested in joining us with our modern malfunction clearance techniques, let us know and we'll fax or put it on a 8 track cassette(or just whatever is in vogue in your decade of the 20th century) and get John Titor to carry it back for you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Herp a derp a derrrr

How about when I drew and fired one round, then *click* during a training class?

....the instructor had popped my mag release when I wasn't paying attention. A rack would have resulted in another click. As it was, I tapped, then racked, and it went bang.

OP needs to rethink his groundbreaking epiphany I've had unintentional mag releases prior to that as well.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Unless you just loaded a new mag, tap-rack-bang wastes time and you should only rack-bang.

Discuss.
View Quote
Discuss?

More like you should ask Mister_H to make an immediate and remedial action science thread.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Unless you just loaded a new mag, tap-rack-bang wastes time and you should only rack-bang.

Discuss.
View Quote
Incorrect.

TRB solves 90%+ of what might be wrong in real life.

TRB, then go from there.

I've had two scenarios where TRB was not the answer. In both cases, if it was a real life gunfight, I'd have been SOL with a bullet stuck with no charge. Due to my own incompetence....

That said, I've only had it happen twice in over 20,000 rounds that I've loaded.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:41:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny enough, while I have seen hundreds of situations where Tap-Rack-Bang is the solution.
I have not had it myself, I have only had situations where Rack,Replace Mag,Rack,Bang was the solution. (Old magazine springs, the rounds were diving into feed ramp and jamming)
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The several malfunctions I have had were made worse when I tried the tap, rack, bang method as the fired case had not ejected and became wedged in with a partially loaded fresh round.  Trying to get the mag out was somewhat of a chore with a situation like that as it was my P3at and there was very little magazine base to grab hold of.  I would guess pulling the slide back and rolling the pistol to the side might clear it, but maybe not always.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was tap, drink, bang
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This drill will cause even more problems and malfunctions if you use a dirty chamber
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]
SPORTS if it is a malfunction with an AR-15/16 platform and TRB if it is a semi-auto pistol that is magazine fed just like Sarge taught you Boot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wrong.  If the mag's not seated, NOTHING else that you do will correct the problem.

End of discussion.
View Quote

This is why everyone needs a bullet button.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Magazines can come unseated after 1 or more rounds are fired.
View Quote

and mag release buttons can get pushed by accident or bumped on gear, cover, rests, etc. without the shooter even being aware that their firearm has been rendered inoperable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I though it was "Tap, rack, bacon!"
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This drill will cause even more problems and malfunctions if you use a dirty chamber
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can bump the mag catch under recoil especially with actual man sized hands instead of girlie mitts. That will most definitely unseat a mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you use imperfect guns that are not Glocks.

And you don't slam mags home like a man.

You can bump the mag catch under recoil especially with actual man sized hands instead of girlie mitts. That will most definitely unseat a mag.

TRB has never worked for me, I've never had a mag come unseated that didn't fall completely OUT of the gun.

I Rack, Assess, Bang/or Fix
The rack/assess is basically the same motion, depending on what I see depends on the next action
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I never think to trb. It's always stop what I'm doing, open the slide to see what happened, fix the problem and start shooting again.  I guess I should start practicing note effectively.

Of course my only recent malfunctions were reloads going into a 1911 and failing to return to battery.  All of them had to have the round tapped out of the chamber so trb wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
I had a slightly bent AR magazine catch that would hold magazines in place, even when pulled on, but would spontaneously drop magazines after a few shots.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wrong.  If the mag's not seated, NOTHING else that you do will correct the problem.

End of discussion.
View Quote

This. You have the rest of your life to get that gun going again. Might as well do it right.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#22]
You do it the same no matter what as to remove thought from the process.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I always wondered what would happen if someone had a squib and did this.  I have seen people in YouTube videos get a click when they pull the trigger and just smack the magazine and rack the charging handle and pull the trigger again without any regard for what ejected (if anything) or really knowing what's going on with the rifle.  With ear pro on I wonder if people in a big hurry would be able to tell the difference between a dry fire and squib.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I always wondered what would happen if someone had a squib and did this.  I have seen people in YouTube videos get a click when they pull the trigger and just smack the magazine and rack the charging handle and pull the trigger again without any regard for what ejected (if anything) or really knowing what's going on with the rifle.  With ear pro on I wonder if people in a big hurry would be able to tell the difference between a dry fire and squib.  
View Quote
I know what happens, people who shoot enough stop shooting, people that don't keep shooting. Ammo is so good now squibs are REALLY rare, and most that happen don't let the next round chamber, so TRB doesn't do much.  

It's mostly reloaders who undercharge that get a round that will squib, then allow the next round to chamber.   Last time I saw it was on a TRP, swelled the barrel pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It has happened to me one time, and it was a Gen 4 G17.

Still a Glock guy though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you use imperfect guns that are not Glocks.

It has happened to me one time, and it was a Gen 4 G17.

Still a Glock guy though.

Uhm, Perfection...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top