Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Did they make the fatties get off first?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Small aircraft have limited power margins and are sensitive to loading and density altitude.
View Quote

Small aircraft and it was hot in SE Idaho, 94 degrees. Combine that with 4700 feet of elevation and not the longest runway in Idaho Falls, there is a need to lighten the load.  Have had it happen to flights I have been on out of Salt Lake.  Heat, elevation and too much weight (people, luggage and/or fuel) and someone gets to stay behind.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone over 300 lbs should have to pay for two seats.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We were getting ready to depart Idaho Falls on Saturday when it was announced that the flight was "too heavy." 3, then 5, then 10 people were encouraged to get off of the plane. If enough people did not get off the airline would start "involuntary deplaning." The process took 45 minutes with sweetening offers and threats that our baggage would be removed. There were probably less than 100 on the flight. How could the airline be that far off in its weight calculation?
View Quote

Cargo.
Got booted off a plane out of AK because of too much salmon in the hold
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
they should deplane the large first.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Let me guess, Allegiant Air? The same airline that misjudged the fuel needed for a flight to Fargo, North Dakota and had to call in emergency landing?

That airline is a joke; I once flew out of Oakland with them and they told us they had to ship our bags because the "fire suppression system in the baggage compartment was malfunctioning." Made me feel real safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We were getting ready to depart Idaho Falls on Saturday when it was announced that the flight was "too heavy." 3, then 5, then 10 people were encouraged to get off of the plane. If enough people did not get off the airline would start "involuntary deplaning." The process took 45 minutes with sweetening offers and threats that our baggage would be removed. There were probably less than 100 on the flight. How could the airline be that far off in its weight calculation?

Let me guess, Allegiant Air? The same airline that misjudged the fuel needed for a flight to Fargo, North Dakota and had to call in emergency landing?

That airline is a joke; I once flew out of Oakland with them and they told us they had to ship our bags because the "fire suppression system in the baggage compartment was malfunctioning." Made me feel real safe.

You are literally taking your life into your hands when flying that airline. They fly out of Vegas and I have heard nothing but horror stories from the people I know who work at the airport. Engine malfunctions, fuel issues, you name it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You are literally taking your life into your hands when flying that airline. They fly out of Vegas and I have heard nothing but horror stories from the people I know who work at the airport. Engine malfunctions, fuel issues, you name it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their CEO is the old Valujet CEO, lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were allowed to go per FAA MEL <minimum equipment list> as long as there were NO bags ( nothing could catch on fire) in that baggage compartment.   You were fine.   Up until the Value Jet acccident, most airliners did not have fire extinguishers in the cargo area.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the landing gear I believe

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
is there a scale on the runway ?
In the landing gear I believe

This is why you sit in the back of the air plane.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course not. Although it makes the most sense, logically, there is the feelings that get hurt that now factor into every decision, including physics and engineering.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm guessing that was maybe a Skywest flight or another regional? It happens and usually because of hot weather if it's something like a CRJ 200 but 10 passengers is a lot. What kind of plane?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing that was maybe a Skywest flight or another regional? It happens and usually because of hot weather if it's something like a CRJ 200 but 10 passengers is a lot. What kind of plane?

Not really.  Was it a CRJ 200?  Where was it going?  What was the weather like at origin and destination?  CRJs suck and if an alternate (and the fuel to that alternate) is required you're going to be booting passengers.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Why is there ALWAYS so much derp in airline/airplane threads.   Seriously folks, this stuff isn't rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They also don't factor in the 400 lb land whales that are common these days. When I went through my ADX course, we were told to use 185 for men and 120 for women. No fucking way those numbers work these days. Factor in extra fuel for weather or delays and heavy ass bags, I can see overweight aircraft being an issue.
View Quote

those weights, fucking lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've seen them redistribute passengers to keep the plane from being nose heavy, but I've never seen anyone kick a passenger off on a jet for it being too heavy. Only on turboprops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What type of plane? I've only experienced this on small regional jets or propeller flights.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I've seen them redistribute passengers to keep the plane from being nose heavy, but I've never seen anyone kick a passenger off on a jet for it being too heavy. Only on turboprops.

I got moved to balance a plane one time.  tiny little puddle jumper.  I'm 6'5" and 350.  It was kinda funny.

When I was on a trip with a football team to New Zealand, on the return flight it was just the team, and about 20 other passengers.

the pilot told anyone not on the team to report to first class, and he ceeded the back of the plane to us.   We got a game of what used to be known as "smear the queer" going.  After about twenty minutes capt came on and told us to sit the hell down, we were causing the plane to porpoise and the autopilot was making constant corrections to keep us level and it was affecting his burn rates cause we were running back and forth in the back of the plane.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope they kicked the fatties off first.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They also don't factor in the 400 lb land whales that are common these days. When I went through my ADX course, we were told to use 185 for men and 120 for women. No fucking way those numbers work these days. Factor in extra fuel for weather or delays and heavy ass bags, I can see overweight aircraft being an issue.

The "lol" was paying for the class.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Need moar JATO

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Allegiant air?
View Quote

No way they would pay incentives to get off.  They would just drain some fuel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

185 lbs? That's not even a full-grown man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It probably averages out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They suck? Tell me more. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  Was it a CRJ 200?  Where was it going?  What was the weather like at origin and destination?  CRJs suck and if an alternate (and the fuel to that alternate) is required you're going to be booting passengers.  

CRJ's are awesome compared to being stuffed into a Dash 8. Both times in a Dash, I thought two things would happen. I'd turn a 100 years old before we got to Eastern Washington or the impending crash is going to suck real bad (flying out of SEA on a Jazz flight into YVR).

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably not overgross but with the temps there today, combined with the airport elevation the plane probably didnt have the performance to get out of there safely! Be thankful your crew did what it did!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Aviation just draws derp like a moth to a flame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is there ALWAYS so much derp in airline/airplane threads.   Seriously folks, this stuff isn't rocket surgery.

Aviation just draws derp like a moth to a flame.

It looked like a stall to me! Its always a stall!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Going to get to the point where everyone is allowed a single, small bag not over 20lbs.

View Quote

Based on what some folks try squeezing on the plane with. Not a problem with me. When suzyq  ask someone to help her lift her carry on to the overhead. It's too fukin heavy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Jade Helm
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't ever remember seeing CAT certified scales on a runway before...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I would have guessed you were flying out of Oconomowoc.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Weights engineers get paid serious money for reason.  They keep your ass alive. Stop fucking crying.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:27:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I don't have a problem with them. I fly the 200, 700 and 900. The 200 could stand to have a little more power on hot days but isn't terrible. They are getting dated and will only be replaced by larger, newer aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRJ's are awesome compared to being stuffed into a Dash 8. Both times in a Dash, I thought two things would happen. I'd turn a 100 years old before we got to Eastern Washington or the impending crash is going to suck real bad (flying out of SEA on a Jazz flight into YVR).  

I don't have a problem with them. I fly the 200, 700 and 900. The 200 could stand to have a little more power on hot days but isn't terrible. They are getting dated and will only be replaced by larger, newer aircraft.

From the standpoint of dispatching them, yes, they suck.  The 700s aren't bad.  The 900s never got on property at my old airline before I left so I don't have any experience with them.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:34:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Of course not. Although it makes the most sense, logically, there is the feelings that get hurt that now factor into every decision, including physics and engineering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eventually it seems like they'll have to charge the fatties more money.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am 6' and 178lbs. Maybe I should landwhale up a bit to be manly?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Anyone over 300 lbs should have to pay for two seats.
View Quote

Ya no doubt. Anything past a certain size and it's two seats. They've been supersizing things all their lives they should be used to it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love flying with Jazz from Toronto to Columbus and back. And yes, I love the Dash 8 more than those tiny ERJs they use to fly from Columbus to Newark with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:27:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd be the first one off. If they are cutting it that close to the envelope...bye.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:28:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if they self-identify with Twiggy ?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Was it really hot outside at the time?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#43]
How would "involuntary deplaning" work?

How would they determine who gets the boot?

Sounds like a recipe for a riot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
is there a scale on the runway ?
View Quote

Built into the landing gear.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You want to find out what happens when you are too heavy???

Lol

View Quote

This. Once it's been announced that the plane's too heavy, I'd be the first one off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I would be the first one off that plane.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

"muricans..... big, fat sweaty "mericans.

edit.

reminds me of a comedian.... he was on a plane,( small island hopper)   and they came around asking how much everyone weighed...

pilot..................... how much do you weigh?
comedian..............oh about 200lbs.....
pilot.........................thanks..
comedian..........hey, why do you need to know that?
pilot................... to calculate how much fuel to put into the airplane..
comedian................. heres a idea... fill that mother fucker up !
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In most of my ergonomics work in my previous life, human data such as averages including sizes and weights were taken from military intake statistics since it was fairly accurate.

Unfortunately the average American and the average soldier share little more than a country of origin anymore.

My prediction is airlines will charge by the pound eventually. Just have to get past the SJWs
View Quote

like the weight averages the us coast guard uses to calculate the amount of people can be on a boat... i think they used to use 150lbs, then went to 180lbs as the average weight of adults..... they need to add some more to that.. 200lbs IMHO is the AVERAGE weight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

that might MAYBE.... work for military personnel.... MAYBE.... more like 185 for men, and 150 for women..
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top