BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/2/2015 5:58:53 PM EDT

ELKHART, Ind. -- When Les and Amanda Anderson went to pick up their
son from a county jail in St. Joseph, Michigan, it was the first time
they had seen him in two and half months.

View Quote

"I was thinking just
coming up here it’s like he shouldn’t be here,” Les Anderson said.
"This, you know, it shouldn’t be happening.”

Since his release
last month, their son Zach Anderson’s freedom has been severely
restricted because at just 19 years old, Zach is a convicted sex
offender, ABC News reports.

Zach
was arrested last winter after having sex with a girl he met on the
dating app "Hot or Not,” who claimed she was 17. But she admitted to
police that was a lie. She was really 14.

If he had known she was so young, Zach said, he never would have met her.

"I wouldn't even have gone to her house, like I literally wouldn't have gone to her house at all,” he said.

As
a convicted sex offender, the terms of Zach’s probation are incredibly
strict. For the next five years, he is forbidden from owning a smart
phone or using the Internet. He is not allowed to talk to anyone under
age 17, other than immediate family. He is banned from going to any
establishment that serves alcohol and he has to be home before 8 p.m.
every night.

<.....snip.......>

Zach was arrested and eventually pleaded guilty to fourth-degree
criminal sexual conduct. After admitting that she had lied about her
age, the now 15-year-old and her mother even testified on Zach’s behalf
at his trial.

According to court documents, the girl’s mother told
the judge, "I don’t want him to be a sex offender because he really is
not.” Her daughter added, "I feel nothing should happen to Zach.”

But
the judge condemned what he called a culture of "meet, hook-up, have
sex, sayonara, totally inappropriate behavior,” according to court
documents.

Zach was sentenced to 90 days in jail and ordered to register as a sex offender.

<................>

Michigan state Sen. Rick Jones, who helped write the state’s sex offender registry law, says Zach should have been more careful.

"As you grow up, I mean young men are told you know in high school, 15 is jailbait,” Jones said. "Now that’s a slang term, but that’s what young men are told … I would hope that somebody who was 19 years old would say ‘Well do you have a driver's license or something? You don’t appear to be the appropriate age.’”

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/zach-anderson-this-19-year-old-will-spend-the-next-25-years-as-a-registered-sex-offender

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Poor kid.

Surprised it doesn't happen to more.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a mistake of fact, he was informed that her age was 17...how in the world is he liable.

No mens rea
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Yet, he still plead guilty. And yes, I understand the risk of trial. This makes me not give a fuck about him or his future.
This I will never understand, if charged with any crime and innocent, especially pedo crimes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
What utter horseshit.  There was no intent to bang an underage girl.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]

I can see both sides.  If people weren't so quick to jump into bed, it would have likely come out that she was too young.  Oh yeah, get a better lawyer next time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Sen Jones is a real class act.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Local story

Judge got pissed over some procedural stuff and hit him with max everything
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
That senator is blind if he thinks there's not a lot of 13 and 14 year olds that look like they're 20.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
That's some bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sen Jones is a real class act.
View Quote

This, typical politician, completely disconnected from reality.

next time you own a date don't forget to ask for her ID
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Obscene. I will refrain from commenting on the judge because what I have to say wouldn't be pretty.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#12]
That kid doesn't really have much left to lose.  and a lot of anger.  If I were the judege, I would be worried about revenge.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Why the FUCK did he plead guilty?

If that had gone to a jury he would have likely been acquitted, as he had no criminal intent.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I spoke with a State Attorneys Office Investigator here during a class.  He stated they could have an ID showing they are legal, a tattoo ,work in a job that you have to be over 18 and a million other things and it don't mean shit.  A coworker of mine was investigated over something similar.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Reason #1 why we need reform to sex offender laws.

If they need to be registered, do we really trust them outside of prison?

And I agree that it sucks that guy is basically screwed for life.  Its BS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked with a guy at one time who was a sex offender.   Assuming he told the truth he was at a party w/ drinking age people and met a woman w/ 2 kids of different ages.   Had sex with her and found out the next morning she was 14 IIRC.   He got the felony conviction and sex offender for life.   That's seriously fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
But the judge condemned what he called a culture of "meet, hook-up, have sex, sayonara, totally inappropriate behavior,” according to court documents.
View Quote

Wow. Never mind that there was no intent to commit a crime. The notion of internet dating offended the judge, so the kid is fucked. A jury probably wouldn't have convicted him, particularly if the age of consent in that state is younger than 18, considering that the girl told him (and and told the court she told him) that she was 17.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#18]
This is why you fuck 40 year olds
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#19]
That's pretty sad
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, he's no sex offender.

All I can say is that guys looking to hook up with someone they don't even know better be damn careful.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That kid doesn't really have much left to lose.  and a lot of anger.  If I were the judege, I would be worried about revenge.
View Quote

Judge Nelson Biederman III
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Another fucking activist judge making rulings based on his own political and social biases.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a mistake of fact, he was informed that her age was 17...how in the world is he liable.

No mens rea
View Quote

It is called strict liability.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ELKHART, Ind. -- When Les and Amanda Anderson went to pick up their son from a county jail in St. Joseph, Michigan, it was the first time they had seen him in two and half months.
View Quote

"I was thinking just coming up here it’s like he shouldn’t be here,” Les Anderson said. "This, you know, it shouldn’t be happening.”

Since his release last month, their son Zach Anderson’s freedom has been severely restricted because at just 19 years old, Zach is a convicted sex offender, ABC News reports.

Zach was arrested last winter after having sex with a girl he met on the dating app "Hot or Not,” who claimed she was 17. But she admitted to police that was a lie. She was really 14.

If he had known she was so young, Zach said, he never would have met her.

"I wouldn't even have gone to her house, like I literally wouldn't have gone to her house at all,” he said.

As a convicted sex offender, the terms of Zach’s probation are incredibly strict. For the next five years, he is forbidden from owning a smart phone or using the Internet. He is not allowed to talk to anyone under age 17, other than immediate family. He is banned from going to any establishment that serves alcohol and he has to be home before 8 p.m. every night.

<.....snip.......>

Zach was arrested and eventually pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct. After admitting that she had lied about her age, the now 15-year-old and her mother even testified on Zach’s behalf at his trial.

According to court documents, the girl’s mother told the judge, "I don’t want him to be a sex offender because he really is not.” Her daughter added, "I feel nothing should happen to Zach.”

But the judge condemned what he called a culture of "meet, hook-up, have sex, sayonara, totally inappropriate behavior,” according to court documents.

Zach was sentenced to 90 days in jail and ordered to register as a sex offender.

<................>

Michigan state Sen. Rick Jones, who helped write the state’s sex offender registry law, says Zach should have been more careful.

"As you grow up, I mean young men are told you know in high school, 15 is jailbait,” Jones said. "Now that’s a slang term, but that’s what young men are told … I would hope that somebody who was 19 years old would say ‘Well do you have a driver's license or something? You don’t appear to be the appropriate age.’”

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/zach-anderson-this-19-year-old-will-spend-the-next-25-years-as-a-registered-sex-offender

View Quote

Hope.  The fundamental flaw upon which many laws are based.  What a retard.  How did hope work?  No?  Happened anyway?  Imagine that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Young, dumb, and full of cum...

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#26]
So if the girl and her mother were on his side, then how did the law even get involved in this?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#27]
It should be a defense if the "victim" lied and the perp had no reason to think it was a lie.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#28]
this is why i take dates to bars... then they have to get their ID checked.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Puritans FTW

"But the judge condemned what he called a culture of “meet, hook-up, have sex, sayonara, totally inappropriate behavior,” according to court documents."

I'm  as fuck glad I grew up in' sexy time' Holland.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So if the girl and her mother were on his side, then how did the law even get involved in this?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is why you fuck 40 year olds
View Quote

Yup. Stick with your teacher.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  This kid's life is now destroyed.  Forever.  

Rampage and Assault on Wall Street are my two personal favorite training films.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's 19 years old. A bar wouldn't have helped him.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No mens rea

Yep.  Intent or knowledge are irrelevant.  You did it; you do the time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol..... Training films
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If that had gone to a jury he would have likely been acquitted, as he had no criminal intent.
View Quote

Yup. That kid got lied to by the chick and got bad "legal advice" on top of that. The jury pick would have been interesting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#37]
We do not have a justice system. We have a legal system.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#39]
That's fucked up on several levels.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, big fucking mistake.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I spoke with a State Attorneys Office Investigator here during a class.  He stated they could have an ID showing they are legal, a tattoo ,work in a job that you have to be over 18 and a million other things and it don't mean shit.  A coworker of mine was investigated over something similar.
View Quote

I know all of them don't mean shit, but LOL at tattoo. Tons of girls in highschool had tattoos and my sister had a half dozen by the time she was 16, without parental consent.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arfcom, listen ye and heed the voice of wisdom.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Fuck that Judge and fuck Rick Jones. They disgust me about as much as rapists and pedos.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's bullshit. I've represented guys in similar situations
View Quote

How did those cases turn out?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Judge got pissed over some procedural stuff and hit him with max everything
View Quote
If that kid went all "Law Abiding Citizen," I would not hold it against him.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#47]
That's why you never,never EVER plead guilty out of convenience.

So fucking what if the .gov's got deeper pockets than you do? You've got a better chance in front of a jury than you do rolling over for a politically motivated prosecutor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yup. That kid got lied to by the chick and got bad "legal advice" on top of that. The jury pick would have been interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He repeatedly displays poor judgement.  It's hard to feel sorry for him.  Had he refused to talk to the police and gotten a lawyer he would have been able to beat this.  Instead, he went balls deep.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I work in prison you would be surprised how often this happens to be honest if under 21 and the victim is 13 or over they should at least get a second chance at life. Because his life us escentially over at 19 for something he didn't intend to do and did some thing dumb as teenagers do. Granted depending on circumstances if it was forcible rape fuck them, but if only because of age she could not consent there should be some kind of reset at 21.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I can see both sides.  If people weren't so quick to jump into bed, it would have likely come out that she was too young.  Oh yeah, get a better lawyer next time.

View Quote

You shouldn't have to bring ID or ask for ID to have sex. If someone lies about their age the fault is on them.
The argument that always seems to creep up that “you should have realized she was underage” doesn’t hold up.
I know a girl who is 22 and looks like 14 and a girl who is 15 and looks like 20 (and you can’t tell her age by her personality).

How people choose to go about their lives is their business and theirs alone.
It seem like many places in the US have a quite twisted view on how sex works.
In the end it is the young people who are just living their lives that are paying the price for politician’s 18th century mentality.
There are people in the US that are registered as sex offenders because they had sex with their one week younger girl/boyfriend on their birthday.
People’s freedom shouldn’t have to be determined by how much money they can afford to hire a lawyer for; that indicates a fundamentally broken and undemocratic justice system.

If anyone should be punished it is the girl who lied about the conditions on which he agreed upon to have sex.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top