Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Lewisburg WV, near the Greenbrier, I'm sure its on someone's out dated list, so probably no, or I off myself as the hippies and liberals protest our retaliation because we all deserve to die because we are america and we started the nuclear bomb production and blah blah blah coal, global warming etc.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The last time I had curry, I fought it for three days. NO CURRY!!!!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This...is...awesome

No, it sucks.

We haven't had a single delicious recipe yet.

NO GREEN CURRY RECIPES!!!!  

They need to let you out more often. Green Curry is delicious.

The last time I had curry, I fought it for three days. NO CURRY!!!!  

Gotta keep those launch control centers warm in the winter somehow...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If we ever do end up playing Global Thermal Nuclear War, do you survive the initial attack?

View Quote
I hope not.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't wanna wake up tomorrow....God forbid I survive the friggin' Apocalypse.  That would seriously piss me off!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I hope not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If we ever do end up playing Global Thermal Nuclear War, do you survive the initial attack?

I hope not.

You can always shoot yourself?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On a calm morning I can hear Naval Station Norfolk, the largest Navy base in the world, play revile.

I dont think ill make it.
View Quote

I grew up about half way between there and the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station and about ten miles from Langley AFB which was Tactical Air Command headquarters.  I doubt I'd have gotten vaporized but with the old dirty city busters, it probably wouldn't have been a very healthy environment.

I'm probably safe now unless someone gets a hardon for corn/soybean fields.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Me too.

But with my luck; something aimed at SLC would veer off several hundred miles north and land on my new cabin......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in the middle of nowhere. If something big hit, I'd be far enough away to think to myself "Hmm, what the fuck was that?"

Me too.

But with my luck; something aimed at SLC would veer off several hundred miles north and land on my new cabin......

Worst day....ever.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
lol. outside of dumb luck yes, we all probably survive.

The worst thing any of our nuke capable enemies would do, assuming they didn't fuck it up (which they would) would be to just pummel the fuck out of DC/NOVA and win. They don't have to shoot stuff anywhere else. Once DC is gone no one is launching shit.

View Quote

ROFL
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I live less than 20 miles from Fort Knox, so probably no.

BK
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If my calculations are correct, an auto-darkening welding helmet would not quite have enough response time for me to see the flash as Peterson AFB is vaporized and Cheyenne Mountain gets a few thousand feet shorter

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
OP's thread:

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes and I learned how to avoid the dangers of fallout.

.... take shorter strokes!  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One of the you tube videos with nuclear physicists giving a narration on what happens if x amount of warheads detonated world wide, so no I don't have a cite on that.
No one really disputes a nuclear winter can happen, I guess the real argument is how many it really takes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know what a nuclear winter is?
It's a planet destroying scenario, if we detonated over 300 large nukes it's going to blot out the sun and kill us all (molst)
Thats why short of iran getting hundreds of nukes no one is going full retard

The 1815 Mount Tambora eruption was calculated at about 800 (yes, EIGHT HUNDRED) megatons of energy released in a single explosion.

And yet we're still here.
Yep, but it wasn't global, globally we would send much more material into the atmosphere, it would block sunlight if 1000 large nukes hit globally  

Do you have a cite for this?
One of the you tube videos with nuclear physicists giving a narration on what happens if x amount of warheads detonated world wide, so no I don't have a cite on that.
No one really disputes a nuclear winter can happen, I guess the real argument is how many it really takes.

No one disputes it, except for those who don't make a living selling nuke deterrence.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They have command planes in the air 24/7, flying pentagons , flying secondary command
If it's easy for such a first sneaky attack they would have done it long ago
MADD works for a reason

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The worst thing any of our nuke capable enemies would do, assuming they didn't fuck it up (which they would) would be to just pummel the fuck out of DC/NOVA and win. They don't have to shoot stuff anywhere else. Once DC is gone no one is launching shit.

I have Friends when I was in the Navy that sailed on Nuke subs, you'd be dead wrong about cutting off the snakes head, those subs commanders have plans and orders for just such an attack.
The US Sub fleet can level china and russia all by them selves.
Also the silos would be activated by some surviving General

+1
That's why there's a CHAIN of command.

Rofl. The Chain of Command cant even protect its troops, digital intelligence infrastructure, or any of its next gen technological combat equipment.

What are they gonna do with no pentagon or Langley or CIC or congress.

Considering a surprise strike would likely contain most of the nuclear arsenal of an adversarial nation, and be a surprise attack, I think if you survived the canned sunshine you would probably take a week off of work.
They have command planes in the air 24/7, flying pentagons , flying secondary command
If it's easy for such a first sneaky attack they would have done it long ago
MADD works for a reason

Holy Shit. Do you just recycle Reagan era news releases every couple weeks to stay motivated?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a planet destroying scenario, if we detonated over 300 large nukes it's going to blot out the sun and kill us all (molst)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have Friends when I was in the Navy that sailed on Nuke subs, you'd be dead wrong about cutting off the snakes head, those subs commanders have plans and orders for just such an attack.

+1
That's why there's a CHAIN of command.

Rofl. The Chain of Command cant even protect its troops, digital intelligence infrastructure, or any of its next gen technological combat equipment.

What are they gonna do with no pentagon or Langley or CIC or congress.

Considering a surprise strike would likely contain most of the nuclear arsenal of an adversarial nation, and be a surprise attack, I think if you survived the canned sunshine you would probably take a week off of work.

Soviet propaganda to drive anti-nuke sentiment in the U.S. and NATO types.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why does everyone ignore the nuclear winter scenario?
Experts have claimed 300 large nukes detonated worldwide in a day or 2 would cause the sun to be blotted out

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on who the war is with.
If it's the Russians, and unlimited, no one survives, saturation bombing would leave the USA uninhabitable.
Back in the old days they had at least 100 nukes targeted at just the North West part of Montana.

According to these guys there are 17,000 nukes in the world.

Assuming they are all B-61s is very optimistic, but not knowing any better specifically, I'll assume it.

According to this guy A B-61 is good for about 100 sq km of scorched earth and 180 sq km of charred earth.  That guy sounds like he doesn't like nukes, so if anything he's overstating the damage.

So it sounds like there are enough nukes in the world to burn up 3 million square km or about 1 million square miles.

There are 3.5 million square miles in the United States.

So if somebody takes the anti-nuke groups numbers (probably more destructive than reality), and spends five minutes putting them together, there are not enough nukes in the world to burn the entire United States once, let alone the entire world five or ten times.
Why does everyone ignore the nuclear winter scenario?
Experts have claimed 300 large nukes detonated worldwide in a day or 2 would cause the sun to be blotted out

Because we read books.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obama gave our enemies a bone and reduced our quantity of warheads to a couple thousand.  Each missile will be lucky to have a pair of bombs to fly.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:15:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I live 15 min from NORTHCOM in Colorado Springs, so I'm fucked. Although there is some terrain between us.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:54:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Luckily, Seattle isn't a huge shipping port with surrounding military bases.

Oh wait.....
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not sure that using your first strike to kill your allies is a game winning strategy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:08:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The simple question I asked is do you survive an initial nuclear attack where you live or work.

All you did since then is troll and make condescending and insulting comments.

Thanks for derailing the thread.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The simple question I asked is do you survive an initial nuclear attack where you live or work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want a bastion of fantasy and feelings, post to your facebook page.

If you post the shit in GD, don't be surprised when someone points out that you are wrong.

An initial nuclear attack will not be focused on civilian population centers for any reason. Our enemies who would have something to gain by nuking us do not have enough warheads and delivery systems to properly eliminate even our military capabilities. The only option is to pummel government centers to ensure destruction of the control centers that are entwined in every facet of American life.

You defined "initial attack" in the context of Kennedy fear mongering. That's incorrect. It was then and is even more so now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am not sure that using your first strike to kill your allies is a game winning strategy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Allies?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there is no functional reason right now for either of them to nuke us, but we certainly aren't allies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:56:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've derailed the thread plenty by posting counter-factual nuclear winter BS, in the face of commentary to the contrary from people who WORK IN NUKES.

Me? In the 60s-70s I might be hosed (I'm spitting distance from an ex B-52 base), but these days I'm probably OK, since the base was closed ~20 years ago and it was mostly a training base for its years of operation anyway. (B-52 and KC-135 training from 1956-1995, with minor operational detachments on occasion.)

I have some relatives near the Naval Submarine Base Bangor, though. They're probably hosed , and since some are retired military, they know it and joke about it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#25]
"My Wife wants me to build something underground, not only to survive but to stay and live until it's clear."

OP & wife?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Hmm. Do they take out Lawrence Livermore Labs? If so, I'm toast.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You've derailed the thread plenty by posting counter-factual nuclear winter BS, in the face of commentary to the contrary from people who WORK IN NUKES.

Me? In the 60s-70s I might be hosed (I'm spitting distance from an ex B-52 base), but these days I'm probably OK, since the base was closed ~20 years ago and it was mostly a training base for its years of operation anyway. (B-52 and KC-135 training from 1956-1995, with minor operational detachments on occasion.)

I have some relatives near the Naval Submarine Base Bangor, though. They're probably hosed , and since some are retired military, they know it and joke about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Counter Factual Nuclear Winter stuff?

Nuclear winter is a result of post blast fire storms. Maximizing fire storms was the target of our cold war anti-population center attack model, where targets were chosen and redundantly struck in waves to maximize firestorms, population and structure damage. Then they figured out that aside from it being a fucking terrible idea that the rest of the world would potentially unite against, it didn't actually break the spirit of the people who were targeted and survived. We don't have the number of warheads to create those global nuke winter firestorms, even if we had not thrown that type of operation out. Not to mention, all of the soviet nuke capabilities were exaggerated entirely. Kruschev claimed he had 1500 warheads ready to launch and in reality he had 30.

That model of targeting was thrown out a long time ago. Now its about targeting military and industrial infrastructure, more heavily leaning to the military side. But thats us, the guys with more warheads and the highest potential success rate of implementation. Our adversaries don't have near enough conduct an attack like that, and why would they? What would it do? They are better off hitting national government infrastructure.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are going to post uneducated bull shit expect to get called on it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I hope not
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm more worried about refugees from DC than I am about getting nuked.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#31]
All i care about is: are you happy with your hair cut?
Seriously, at work or home, toast.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#32]
How much would I have to pay to ensure that the Russkies targeted ME? Personally.

Drop one right on my head. Please. I want to go first.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

name?
View All Quotes

Mrs Ltlabner.

Sorry, she's taken.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Do I survive?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Nope

Cleveland has steel mills and auto plants, but it also Cleveland so it looks like the aftermath of gtnw already.

View Quote

You're safe. Nobody, not even the nutty fundamentalist Iranians would waste a nuke on Cleveland.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you survive GTNW?
Where you live/work?
Are you in a place that gets vaporized in the first wave?
Do you have enough food/water to last a month even?

My Wife wants me to build something underground, not only to survive but to stay and live until it's clear.
The property we have is sandwiched between to high ridges, it's blocked from major cities by higher Mountains, we are no where near a strategic bombing sight (that I know of)
So we should survive a blast of a known target pretty easily.

If not for our growing family with Children, (my kids kids) I wouldn't worry so much and to tell you the truth I really don't think we will end up playing GTNW.

But I was a Boy Scout after all and the motto is still a great thing "Be prepared"
This pic is what she wants to build.
The 2 story on the right side is what she wants, not the silo part.
The ridge behind behind out home is 100 ft high, I wonder if we built something like that at the base of the ridge and then covered it with earth and then concrete would it be the same as digging down the 2 stories , yes?

http://www.uscrisispreppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/missile_silo_luxury_home.jpg

View Quote

Congrats on scoring a woman who wants you to build a bunker. That's 99 kinds of awesome.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not really his fault, he is emotionally and financially invested in it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

"My Wife wants me to build something underground, not only to survive but to stay and live until it's clear."

OP & wife?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9L81JicQAxk/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Damn you found us

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Nuclear winter is a result of post blast fire storms. Maximizing fire storms was the target of our cold war anti-population center attack model, where targets were chosen and redundantly struck in waves to maximize firestorms, population and structure damage. Then they figured out that aside from it being a fucking terrible idea that the rest of the world would potentially unite against, it didn't actually break the spirit of the people who were targeted and survived. We don't have the number of warheads to create those global nuke winter firestorms, even if we had not thrown that type of operation out. Not to mention, all of the soviet nuke capabilities were exaggerated entirely. Kruschev claimed he had 1500 warheads ready to launch and in reality he had 30.

That model of targeting was thrown out a long time ago. Now its about targeting military and industrial infrastructure, more heavily leaning to the military side. But thats us, the guys with more warheads and the highest potential success rate of implementation. Our adversaries don't have near enough conduct an attack like that, and why would they? What would it do? They are better off hitting national government infrastructure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you have some super top secret clearance we don't know about for all this factual info huh?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm still laughing at OP telling Limaxray to "stop wasting his time".

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So you have some super top secret clearance we don't know about for all this factual info huh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoiler alert. Its a library card and an ability to think critically.

Tell ya what, I have this coming. I'm in Afghanistan so it takes a while. Order one and We'll read it together. Its newish and I'm excited about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Control-Damascus-Accident-Illusion/dp/0143125788/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438619534&sr=8-1&keywords=command+and+control

You can also try reading about nuke theories, and put them into the individual context of their specific time in history. Then apply the geopolitical and military strategic changes that have occurred, and logically conclude how those would effect the "nuke theories" of old.

The book above is supposed to be bombshell. I'm excited to read it, most of what I have read is either hyped anti-nuke soviet sponsored tripe or super pro-nuke DOD money grubbing drama - just like everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Shit.  I don't need the threat of GTNW to want a sweet bunker like that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS, there is not one atomic scientist or pentagon expert in this thread, it's all BS , it's all opinion.

Who the fuck knows what china really has targeted or even russia for that matter

As for the nuclear winter scenario?

I'm not an expert but I do believe if there are enough nukes detonated the planet can be harmed to a point where crops fail and , you people act like it's all good, a few nukes fly and most of us survive.

BS

no one knows who panics, who sends more nukes , all kinds of bad shit happens once the first nukes detonate

You really have faith in obama making the right decision if we are attacked?

Your more delusional than my nuke winter theory    

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better than being an arrogant troll

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
BS, there is not one atomic scientist or pentagon expert ion this thread, it's all BS , it's all opinion.
Who the fuck knows what china really has targeted or even russia for that matter

I'm not an expert but I do believe if there are enough nukes detonated the planet can be harmed to a point where crops fail and , you people act like it's all good, a few nukes fly and most of us survive.
BS
no one knows who panics, who sends more nukes , all kinds of bad shit happens once the first nukes detonate

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS, there is not one atomic scientist or pentagon expert ion this thread, it's all BS , it's all opinion.

BS

Obama cant make a bad decision if he's dead, which would certainly be the result of an attack.

People who know how the military and government function can make very accurate predications about who will do what.

Most of us will survive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrogant troll is superior to the book "On Nuclear War" By a guy who watches too much TV and doesn't know anything other than he want a reason to have a bunker.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top