BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:27 PM EDT
Do you survive GTNW?

Where you live/work?

If we ever do end up playing Global Thermal Nuclear War, do you survive the initial attack?

Are you in a place that gets vaporized in the first wave?

Do you have enough food/water to last a month even?

My Wife wants me to build something underground, not only to survive but to stay and live until it's clear.

The property we have is sandwiched between to high ridges, it's blocked from major cities by higher Mountains, we are no where near a strategic bombing sight (that I know of)

So we should survive a blast of a known target pretty easily.

If not for our growing family with Children, (my kids kids) I wouldn't worry so much and to tell you the truth I really don't think we will end up playing GTNW.

But I was a Boy Scout after all and the motto is still a great thing "Be prepared"

This pic is what she wants to build.

The 2 story on the right side is what she wants, not the silo part.

The ridge behind behind out home is 100 ft high, I wonder if we built something like that at the base of the ridge and then covered it with earth and then concrete would it be the same as digging down the 2 stories , yes?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Gtnw.....Go To...Next Woman?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you like to play a game?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I think all of Pennsylvania will be a chard remnant of what it is today in the event of GTNW.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I live where Abrams tanks are built.  I'm sure it's s primary target on someone's list.  So probably no.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think all of Pennsylvania will be a chard remnant of what it is today in the event of GTNW.

View Quote

I've heard of Swiss Chard, but Dutch Chard works too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't you rather play a nice game of chess?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
lol. outside of dumb luck yes, we all probably survive.

The worst thing any of our nuke capable enemies would do, assuming they didn't fuck it up (which they would) would be to just pummel the fuck out of DC/NOVA and win. They don't have to shoot stuff anywhere else. Once DC is gone no one is launching shit.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope

Cleveland has steel mills and auto plants, but it also Cleveland so it looks like the aftermath of gtnw already.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Just put in a vault-room; you get to keep your guns and valuables in there and you can both go in there in the event that the Soviets want to nuke the Liberty Bell.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
This city would be blasted flat. Multiple nukes. I'd be very, very dead. The survivors in the suburbs would freeze and/or starve when winter comes.

Those in the countryside would fare better, that is until the starving, freezing survivors from the cities show up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The worst thing any of our nuke capable enemies would do, assuming they didn't fuck it up (which they would) would be to just pummel the fuck out of DC/NOVA and win. They don't have to shoot stuff anywhere else. Once DC is gone no one is launching shit.

View Quote

Brilliant. I'm sure nobody thought of that in the last 60 years or so.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have Friends when I was in the Navy that sailed on Nuke subs, you'd be dead wrong about cutting off the snakes head, those subs commanders have plans and orders for just such an attack.

The US Sub fleet can level china and russia all by them selves.

Also the silos would be activated by some surviving General

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.

ETA:  Think about the number of operationally deployed strategic nuclear weapons available to fly at any given time (limited by treaty to 1700-2200, will be 1550 under New START).

Determine the maximum amount of damage 2200 weapons could do.  I recommend this site.

Calculate the total square mileage affected by 2200 weapons, vs. the total square mileage of the US.

The conclusion I leave as an exercise for the student.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I live where Abrams tanks are built.  I'm sure it's s primary target on someone's list.  So probably no.
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you have no idea how dysfunctional our nuke programs were then, and obviously aren't tracking how they are now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol... Well there are a lot of dutch in PA!!

CHARRED!!  word Nazi!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Allen County?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have Friends when I was in the Navy that sailed on Nuke subs, you'd be dead wrong about cutting off the snakes head, those subs commanders have plans and orders for just such an attack.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
That's why there's a CHAIN of command.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would they.

And while nuke subs may be the greatest nuke tool in our nuke shed (thanks for looking out navy) who are they gonna nuke?

The only successful nuke strike on our nation would have to be unprovoked, IE a surprise.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#23]
We're well away from any primary targets. There are a few sites a couple hours away that might be secondary or tertiary targets. Crane Naval Center might catch something and Grissom AFB in Kokomo has a KC-135 refueling wing.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Rofl. The Chain of Command cant even protect its troops, digital intelligence infrastructure, or any of its next gen technological combat equipment.

What are they gonna do with no pentagon or Langley or CIC or congress.

Considering a surprise strike would likely contain most of the nuclear arsenal of an adversarial nation, and be a surprise attack, I think if you survived the canned sunshine you would probably take a week off of work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Fellow Lima ARFcommer?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Really I have no way of knowing since I don't know what the wave 1 targets might be under any given circumstance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Allen County?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Allen County?

Yeah, Lima.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
"GTNW" is the very least of my worries.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Too bad you can't tell us a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Really I have no way of knowing since I don't know what the wave 1 targets might be under any given circumstance.
View Quote

How do you not know? Its pretty basic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I'll take a recipe for some green curry...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

It seems like such a primo target.   You could nail the tank plant,  a chemical plant and a refinery all in one strike.

Maybe I would survive, OP.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#33]
No way

I'm 44 miles from NYC
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It seems like such a primo target.   You could nail the tank plant,  a chemical plant and a refinery all in one strike.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

What would people do without all the Tide detergent we would lose too?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Northeast must get some attention. I'll play this game.

Ct
UTC
Electric Boat
Sikorsky
Small arms manufacturing
Bunch of financial gurus in Fairfield county

I'm not close to any of that bit it's a small state

No bunker digging it's all rock under me

I guess I'll just throw some critters on a spit and pray for a good neutron flash sear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fellow Lima ARFcommer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Fellow Lima ARFcommer?

No, my "Nope" was to the idea that living near the Abrams plant makes you a primary target.

Greenpeace did a really good job of convincing everyone that every possible thing was on "the list."  That's simply not true.  

Nukes are REALLY expensive, REALLY powerful and REALLY rare (compared to conventional forces).  Why would an Abrams plant be on a target list that includes the White House?  That's like sending the Navy SEALs in to capture a guy with a warrant for too many parking tickets.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Absolutely not.  Green curry is...just...no.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Depends on who the war is with.
If it's the Russians, and unlimited, no one survives, saturation bombing would leave the USA uninhabitable.
Back in the old days they had at least 100 nukes targeted at just the North West part of Montana.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Im toast. I can stand on my roof and see MacDill Air Base (SOCOM) . Nothing but around 5 miles of water between.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#40]
PA is downwind of Chicago, Detroit and military manufacturing/installations. Like most, they'll want to blot out Detroit. Maybe you'll get lucky and the attack will occur during the winter as a cold front moves south driving the jet stream with it and back up over the Atlantic.
I'm in Maine, so that pretty much applies to me too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Depends on who the war is with.
If it's the Russians, and unlimited, no one survives, saturation bombing would leave the USA uninhabitable.
Back in the old days they had at least 100 nukes targeted at just the North West part of Montana.
View Quote

No.  See above.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
PA is downwind of Chicago, Detroit and military manufacturing/installations. Like most, they'll want to blot out Detroit. Maybe you'll get lucky and the attack will occur during the winter as a cold front moves south driving the jet stream with it and back up over the Atlantic.
View Quote

No.  Targeting cities went out with the 60s.  Not only against the Laws of Armed Conflict, deterrence theory says intentionally targeting cities gives the adversary no reason to show restraint.

Not that I'm against nuking Detroit, I'm just saying it's not necessarily a target for others.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Look up FEMA-196 Sep-90 Risks and Hazards A State by State Guide, pretty interesting read.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.  Targeting cities went out with the 60s.  Not only against the Laws of Armed Conflict, deterrence theory says intentionally targeting cities gives the adversary no reason to show restraint.

Not that I'm against nuking Detroit, I'm just saying it's not necessarily a target for others.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being nuked will be against the Laws of Armed Conflict. There may be a tiny amount of disregard for collateral damage if that occurs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Northeast must get some attention. I'll play this game.

Ct
UTC
Electric Boat
Sikorsky
Small arms manufacturing
Bunch of financial gurus in Fairfield county

I'm not close to any of that bit it's a small state

No bunker digging it's all rock under me

I guess I'll just throw some critters on a spit and pray for a good neutron flash sear.
View Quote

This. I'll be a toasted emeffer. Ten miles from General Dynamics electric boat, and maybe twenty five from the
Groton plant/ sub base.

AVENGE ME, GD!
AVENGE ME!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, my "Nope" was to the idea that living near the Abrams plant makes you a primary target.

Greenpeace did a really good job of convincing everyone that every possible thing was on "the list."  That's simply not true.  

Nukes are REALLY expensive, REALLY powerful and REALLY rare (compared to conventional forces).  Why would an Abrams plant be on a target list that includes the White House?  That's like sending the Navy SEALs in to capture a guy with a warrant for too many parking tickets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Fellow Lima ARFcommer?

Not to mention the fact that every real primary target needs quadruple redundancy or more to actually have a definitive chance of destroying it. Even with ours we planned on hitting everything like five to ten times.

If one of the world power capable of hitting us and winning (china/Russia) was swinging a nuke sucker punch, all of their missiles would be aimed at primaries. Primaries in a surprise attack are not military infrastructure, they will be aimed at crippling our crippling bureaucracy. Guaranteed win.

Maybe some subs will shoot nukes at their empty abandoned silos afterwards.

Who cares.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could make assumptions like anyone else I suppose, but neither the Russians nor the Chinese have shared detailed plans with me on possible first strike targets.

I can only guess that military bases would be targets in the first wave,  but I have no idea as to what priorities population centers or infrastructure would take.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Look up FEMA-196 Sep-90 Risks and Hazards A State by State Guide, pretty interesting read.
View Quote

Very little can be taken seriously by any Agency that can expand its own power by over exaggerating danger. That's how we ended up in a stupid nuke arms race in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We're well away from any primary targets. There are a few sites a couple hours away that might be secondary or tertiary targets. Crane Naval Center might catch something and Grissom AFB in Kokomo has a KC-135 refueling wing.

View Quote

They will hit Indy because of Allison, Rolls Royce, Raytheon, and several others

There are also small job shops that build cruise missile components, satilite systems, etc.  The Motorsport shops are targets because the subcontract work from aerospace companies from time to time.

Northern Indiana is fucked because of Navistar and AM General.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I could make assumptions like anyone else I suppose, but neither the Russians nor the Chinese have shared detailed plans with me on possible first strike targets.

I can only guess that military bases would be targets in the first wave,  but I have no idea as to what priorities population centers or infrastructure would take.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah. They don't need to. Hit the head shed and the pay shuts off and the .mil goes home to protect their family from looter riots.

National guard would spend time straightening states out.

Frankly nuking our national headquarters and not invading would be the superior tactic. Hang some people back home and claim it was a terrorist group. Send aid. Enjoy new place on top of global food chain.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top