Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't have to buy them or live in them then why do you care what other people live in ???  Would you prefer to see tent cities or low income or section 8 housing ??

Some of you people need better hobbies instead to come on here and do nothing but complain with all your free time
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At some point, possessions end up making you their possession.

So true.

This is very true.  One advantage of living in a tiny house is you're not able to mindlessly consume.  You can't just buy crap, and lets face it most of us buy a lot of crap.  So that aspect might be a real cost savings.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The über tiny houses that don't come with land?

Yeah, no thanks.

About 1000sq. ft. is about perfect for my uses.  Anything more and I'm paying to heat/cool something that I am not using.  

I'd rather have 3x more garage space than house space, but that's just me.  Oh, and 1+ ac plot at a minimum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

About 1000sq. ft. is about perfect for my uses.  Anything more and I'm paying to heat/cool something that I am not using.  

I'd rather have 3x more garage space than house space, but that's just me.  Oh, and 1+ ac plot at a minimum.

Quoted:

Freedom to give up all your flaming worldly possessions.

Agreed.  A nice shop and garage, then a house with a kitchen bathroom and small living room.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

Quoted:
Freedom to give up all your flaming worldly possessions.

That point is normally after you have more possessions than can fit in a drawer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you don't have to buy them or live in them then why do you care what other people live in ???  Would you prefer to see tent cities or low income or section 8 housing ??

Some of you people need better hobbies instead to come on here and do nothing but complain with all your free time
View Quote

Tent cities?  Is that the alternative to a $50K alternative lifestyle douchepod?  

Nobody cares that stupid hipsters are living in the silly things, we are making fun of the stupid hipsters.  Do we need your permission to do that?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
A $50,000 housing alternative would be a trailer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd love to see you try and build a good quality one for that much...

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck...looks like you could easily build one for well under 10 grand.

Aviator

How is the business going?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We have watched a bunch of these tiny house shows and honestly we just don't get it. $35K-$70K for a tiny house with a loft bedroom so small you couldn't even screw in? Give me a break. Why wouldn't you just buy a nice little 5th Wheel trailer like this http://www.rvwholesalers.com/new-rvs/142446407149074/New-2016-Heartland-RV-Elkridge-Express-E289-Fifth-Wheel-RV-For-Sale/ For $25K. Spend another $10K building a tin roofed pole barn to place it under and build a nice covered porch on the side.

Are we nuts?
View Quote

That is true.

Until you consider depreciation value of both the Tiny House vs a 5th wheel.

As its pertains to Tiny Houses this is a new trend it is difficult to say how the resale of this type of product will be in the real world. Living in them will probably put them in a similar market as Mobile Homes, but only time will tell. In a very short period the 5th wheel will lose a lot of value. Half in only a few years. Campers are not meant to be lived in.

For the money I would just get a smaller mobile home.

If it is for vacationing or seasonal use like for snow-birds, a Park Model Camper is best camper...Park Model Mfg
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I built myself an ultra deluxe 10X20 shed for ~5grand:

16 on center,  sheathed, real siding, solid wood trim, house wrapped, heavy duty roof, rain gutters, concrete pad, steps, ramp for mowers and 60 amp electrical service.
Contractor account at Lowes...materials delivered for free...did the labor and design work myself...had a concrete dude do the concrete.
Shit...add some insulation and drywall and it would make a nice reloading house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck...looks like you could easily build one for well under 10 grand.

Aviator

I built myself an ultra deluxe 10X20 shed for ~5grand:

16 on center,  sheathed, real siding, solid wood trim, house wrapped, heavy duty roof, rain gutters, concrete pad, steps, ramp for mowers and 60 amp electrical service.
Contractor account at Lowes...materials delivered for free...did the labor and design work myself...had a concrete dude do the concrete.
Shit...add some insulation and drywall and it would make a nice reloading house.

So, add 5k for a trailer, and a shit ton of cash to finish the interior super nice and you are set.

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh, I could see myself in one for a little bit. Buy land and build a small house/cabin, and wait to build a larger house.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, That 5th wheel has plastic RV looking ceiling lights and a cheap shit looking shower, its a camper not a permanent home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. RVs are not built to live in full time. It will ruin most of them. Tiny houses are built to live in. Its a matter of quality. We spray foam insulate ours.

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the build.  Rvs are not insulated as well as a tiny home of equivalent price can be.  Plus there's value in the looks of one over a mass produced just like every other camper.

This. RVs are not built to live in full time. It will ruin most of them. Tiny houses are built to live in. Its a matter of quality. We spray foam insulate ours.

Aviator

Your enterprise, location, and insulating method is exactly what.I was.thinking of when I posted.  

Excellent point about RV live in time.  They go to shit in about a.year of daily use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Your enterprise, location, and insulating method is exactly what.I was.thinking of when I posted.  

Excellent point about RV live in time.  They go to shit in about a.year of daily use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the build.  Rvs are not insulated as well as a tiny home of equivalent price can be.  Plus there's value in the looks of one over a mass produced just like every other camper.

Aviator

My Dad is on his third summer in his (about six months a shot) and it's doing just fine.  Of course he takes care of his stuff, unlike most people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My Dad is on his third summer in his (about six months a shot) and it's doing just fine.  Of course he takes care of his stuff, unlike most people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

6 months is a decent length of time but being in the summer it misses the hardest part.of the year, thats whats saving it.  Maintenance helps but the stresses of a winter on a structure reveals what it is really made.of. It would be trashed after a full year of living in it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw an episode the other day where the family had a 15 year old daughter. at least wait until your kids are out of the house, I couldn't imagine living in a shed with my parents at that age.

The guy had a room full of guitars and keyboards, got rid of 99% of them so he could live out his dream of sleeping in a refrigerator box.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
You could buy three storage containers and super insulate them and do some pretty nice upgrades to the looks for under 20 grand easy.

My Friend did this on his hunting land, it cost him 22K and it';s pretty fucking nice.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wouldn't have room for my gun safes.
View Quote
After I read this I calculated the space I'd need for my safes.

I'm screwed too

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
If I was still single I wouldn't mind living in one on 5-10 acres as long as I had a steel building as a shop/garage or in a pinch a couple of containers.  Now that i have what seems like 15 kids one of those never would work.  

Honestly once the next tornado destroys my current house I'm considering going the used doublewide on land route.  Then sell off the trailer and build a smaller house once the kids start leaving.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You could buy three storage containers and super insulate them and do some pretty nice upgrades to the looks for under 20 grand easy.
My Friend did this on his hunting land, it cost him 22K and it';s pretty fucking nice.

View Quote

Pics?

We have some storage containers that might eventually be set up as a semi enclosed barn, but living space stuff is interesting to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd have to have 2 and make them a double wide
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#21]
The tiny house thing has come off the rails.  The original intent was a cheap home that would free the owner from mortgage payments and debt.  They should cost about $20,000 and be self-built, not the crazy money people are paying these days.  Paying that much completely misses the point of the concept.

As it relates to the RV comparison, the issue with RVs is that they don't tend to be well insulated or efficient, so they cost more to run in hot or cold climates.  They're very tough to keep running through a northern winter.  I know this because I just spent the winter in a camper in northern NH while building my house.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why wouldn't you just buy a nice little 5th Wheel trailer
View Quote

Warning: some generalizations here that probably won't apply to anyone posting on arfcom.....

Most of the people who would live in a tiny house would never, ever own a truck for any reason, so there would be no benefit to buying something off the shelf that they could move themselves.   And that's assuming they'd live in a normal trailer, which most of them sure as hell would not.

Small houses have a use, but much of the movement is an intersection between people who don't want to grow up and people who insist on being special snowflakes... that's why there is no real thought of (or room for) things like kids, tools, workspace, etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A small home is real estate. An RV isn't.

Different loans and rates. I figure they're popular with very poor hipsters who don't know a V-8 full sized truck that can tow an RV trailer or can't manage the credit to buy one and an RV. A nice used park trailer is $35K to $60K used around here.

So why not a single or double wide trailer?
View Quote

I've lived in one. One of my retirement options is getting a little land with a trailor on it in Hardeeville SC. I will have room for a garden, the chickens and toys like my boat. I will save on taxes.

Then when Mrs gitarmac retires we will sell it and move to NC (we have a friend that lives there in a huge house on a plot of land )

Right now we have 2000k sqft but at this age we have a lot of stuff. I have hobbies and like to hang out at home.

I can see how they would appeal to some people though. Just not for the price they are asking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Meh, I could see myself in one for a little bit. Buy land and build a small house/cabin, and wait to build a larger house.
View Quote

That would be a good use. And it would make a cool guest house when you finish the main house. Personally, I would like a small cabin on some Mountain property as a getaway, since I live in the city.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

My Grandparents spent 8+ months in RVs every year for about 25 years. They kept RVs for about 7-8 years on average, one they bought new they had for 11 years. None of them were trashed when done either. If you take good care of them, Im guessing you could get them to last 15 years or even longer in a nice climate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Pics?

We have some storage containers that might eventually be set up as a semi enclosed barn, but living space stuff is interesting to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics?

I have not been there and he only told me during a phone call, I'd like to see how he configured it too

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They have had these things down in the south for years. They have from 400 - 1050 square feet and are on wheels and they have a kitchen, sometimes 2 bedrooms, at least one bathroom and most the times a washer and dryer. They have wheels on them and can be moved from one lot to another. I think they call them MOBILE HOMES. They aren't too hipster though.
I just looked and they have one that has 426 sq feet. 1 BR, Kit, 1 Bath, and a Living area for $19,900. Which is way cheaper per sq foot those hamster tiny home condos that I have seen them build on TV.
http://www.fbhexpo.com/micro.asp
View Quote

Actually, the 1 Bedroom mobile home you posted is pretty decent for a low cost, small living unit. Even though that unit looks small, it is almost twice the size of the boutique tiny homes. The well done tiny homes have the advantage of good style and usually carefully worked out details to maximize space.

Be realistic, the nice style of a well done tiny house makes the tight space a little more tolerable. We'd all prefer to live in a place that has a nice appearance or layout, otherwise, utilitarian concrete block cell block houses would be ideal for everyone. But they are not, because the appearance of your surroundings, both built and natural environment, plays a big role in how satisfied you are with a place.

But just as true, is that the tiny house is made to avoid zoning and tax issues. Which, if you think about it, is pretty sad that housing has to be so contorted. I can't imagine that the majority of tiny house owners are creating problems, but on the other hand, the zoning and habitation laws are there so your neighbor with a 1.5 acre lot does not put down 5 shipping containers and rent them out to who-ever right next to your quiet one family home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Still cheaper than having a studio in most cities.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#29]
About 8 years ago I thought I read something about a type of "tiny house" made from cast concrete.

Anyone have any details?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That would be a good use. And it would make a cool guest house when you finish the main house. Personally, I would like a small cabin on some Mountain property as a getaway, since I live in the city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken it's pretty much exactly what Aviator is doing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I built mine

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]
a bit more sensible small home might be the "Katrina Cottage". They appear to be a bit larger than a tiny house. No thanks to the idea of a loft bedroom. Might have been cool when I was 21 but not now.

http://www.mariannecusato.com/
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I could handle a "tiny house" if it were my cabin ...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You shut your whore mouth!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Does not make much sense, other than attention whoring.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#36]
A small well-built house on a very large property has a lot of appeal to me. Many of the problems you guys list aren't real issues. Having people over? Entertain outdoors with a grill and nice patio. No place to store the ceramic cat collection? Good, you can spend your disposable income doing cool stuff, not collecting junk.

I would need a garage for working on cars, and a shed to keep a mower and yard tools in. Maybe a little guest house too. Sounds like a compound of 4 small buildings is what I'm after.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Honestly I can see the appeal to this idea.
Maybe down size for a couple years to get your finances straight,
Maybe use it as a place to sleep in the city during the week and a real home on the weekends?
Maybe use it as a cabin/tent for camping with the bad weather.
But a permanent dwelling for 2 people? I see divorce in their future.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tiny houses are built to live in. Its a matter of quality. We spray foam insulate ours.
View Quote

I would imagine that in your part of the world that would be a basic requirement
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#39]
As a single guy, I could see doing something like that myself.  I'd want a basement, and a garage though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Honestly I can see the appeal to this idea.
Maybe down size for a couple years to get your finances straight,
Maybe use it as a place to sleep in the city during the week and a real home on the weekends?
Maybe use it as a cabin/tent for camping with the bad weather.
But a permanent dwelling for 2 people? I see divorce in their future.
View Quote

Where you going to park it in "the city"?  You think there are a lot of vacant spaces sitting around for your free use?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

As a single guy, I could see doing something like that myself.  I'd want a basement, and a garage though.
View Quote
It would be cool to have a 2000 sq ft basement with a 200 sq ft house over it  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you're talking!  It would need an elevator for the underground garage though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Who cares what other people spend their money on?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've been here since 08 and you have to ask?

Tiny house retards are anti consumerism. Go sell all your guns and get a .22 pistol. Brag to everyone you know about how counterculture you are, you will fit right in with the tinytards.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
These are kind of what I think about when I think about a "tiny" house.  

I guess these qualify as "small" homes, since they're not on wheels, and larger then what The Tiny House Nation promotes as "tiny" houses.

http://wheelhaus.com/

http://wheelhaus.com/caboose-gallery/

http://wheelhaus.com/the-wedge-gallery/

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tiny house retards are anti consumerism. Go sell all your guns and get a .22 pistol. Brag to everyone you know about how counterculture you are, you will fit right in with the tinytards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, consumerism isn't the greatest thing either, in a way, we're all being reminded every day to get more..more..more...  

Yet my grandparents, raised in the depression, were good, hardworking Americans, and were fairly content until the end of their days. They never fought about not having enough, unlike some couples I know that suffer this weekly.

I might like a tiny house, or 2, on a nice property. But I hate to admit, I would need either a giant garage, basement or more tiny houses, were it not for the tragic boating accident where I lost all my stuff.

ETA: I can't mention my grandparents without adding that I was fortunate to by raised by such fine people. My grandfather wanted to serve in WW2, but the work he did in shipyards was deemed essential, so he stayed here. He passed away years ago from painful emphysema, brought on, in large part, by the conditions in the Brooklyn Navy Yard where he worked. My grandmother said he would have been very proud when I went to serve in Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, consumerism isn't the greatest thing either, in a way, we're all being reminded every day to get more..more..more...  

Yet my grandparents, raised in the depression, were good, hardworking Americans, and were fairly content until the end of their days. They never fought about not having enough, unlike some couples I know that suffer this weekly.

I might like a tiny house, or 2, on a nice property. But I hate to admit, I would need either a giant garage, basement or more tiny houses, were it not for the tragic boating accident where I lost all my stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this.  

It does seem we've reached a crescendo of consumerism.  Hell, it collapsed the financial markets in 08'.  Our drive for "stuff" is borderline insane.  

Honestly, all I want is peace of mind, and freedom.  If you can achieve that in a tiny house or mansion that's up to the individual.  But I will say there is a lot more peace to be had by not spending time "maximising" or status seeking and stuff.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Hell I bought more house than I need just so I can sell it. In my area it takes a long time to sell a house with less than 3 bedrooms let one only having one in the living room[B)

In a perfect world I'd have a 2 bedroom with a mega garage and acreage
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top