Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2015 8:23:54 PM EDT
A CEO from Seattle has been forced to rent out his home after his business suffered when he raised the minimum wage to $70,000.

Dan Price, 31, made headlines in the US three months ago when he made the decision to increase the salaries of all 120 staff members at his Gravity Payments credit card processing firm.

However, the move, which included Mr Price taking a pay cut, has not ended well, with two employees resigning and several customers walking away as well as part of a backlash against the payrises.

“I’m working as hard as I ever worked to make it work,” he told the New York Times.

“I’m renting out my house right now to try and make ends meet myself.”

Mr Price lost two of his "most valued" employees when they became angry that lower-skilled workers were being paid a similar salary. Some customers left the company because they thought that raising the minimum wage was a political move that could also end up costing them more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11778597/CEO-who-set-firms-minimum-wage-at-70000-hits-hard-times.html
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.
Why cant I find places like this to work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
At least their pay is a fair wage...

Haha.jpg
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.
View Quote

I don't care about the Seattle story. But, I need to know more about your avatar....for science.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Dumb ass liberal biting the dust.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't care about the Seattle story. But, I need to know more about your avatar....for science.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.

2 ARFcommers at a party that I swore to secrecy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont post to facebook much but last night i posted the first story and said that the numbers didnt crunch and he would have serious issues within 1 or 2 years.

Only took 3 months according to the article.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Starnsville
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait so even private entity communism doesn't work?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Ever get interesting comments when you wear it in public?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not many, a couple of compliments, and a few wtf is that?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.
View Quote

I don't care about your opinion,  but I do like your avatar.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't get it. If the janitor is making 70k, I'm still making 70k too. Why should that upset me?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again???

Damn. Twice in 1 week.

It was good, real good.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't get it. If the janitor is making 70k, I'm still making 70k too. Why should that upset me?
View Quote

its hard for the liberals to stomach being equal to others.

if you notice they all think they are part of the ruling class, and a guy who scrubs toilets doesn't belong in their circle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am going to assume sarcasm on this?!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

if you notice they all think they are part of the ruling class, and a guy who scrubs toilets doesn't belong in their circle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, most likely, the money makers and high-end workers getting paid the same as a janitor or secretary does not sit well and find it unfair.  Also, shows seriously poor decision making on the part of the owner.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View Quote
I busted my ass and proved my worth to get the position I am currently in.  Took me 2 years to finally secure my present position.

After I accomplished that, a high-up guy in another division said to my boss  "Hey, we have this guy who has been stuck in his position and going nowhere for years.  Can we have him work here with you?"

WTF?!?!?!?

So this guy who had no drive and no ambition gets promoted to the job I had been striving and working for?  A job he had no idea even existed?  Out of pity?  And has no college degree?  I had to explain to this guy what an exponent was when he saw the '^' symbol in the code.

Well that makes me feel really good about myself. And about all the time and money wasted on my education.

But I just keep on improving myself and my skills and demonstrating my value through my work.  I know he doesn't put the work into expanding and improving skills I do.

I bring this up because if you are making $70k you probably went to college, got a degree, paid off the debt, did internships, jumped through all the hoops to get where you are.

And then the CEO declares:  Jose the dropout who never had to pay the dues you did now makes as much as you do for cleaning the toilets.  Because that's the fair thing to do.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

The janitor just got a big raise for no reason, and has to work no harder.  As a more valued employee, where's your raise?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wait so even private entity communism doesn't work?
View Quote

No communism ever works. This fact nevers stops the chuckle-heads from trying.

It's a never ending cycle of bullshit. One common theme runs rampant:  "Circumstances were different last time! It will work this time, if we can . . . "

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure of your situation but here is mine. I manage a service and construction company in the dairy industry. Most of my service techs dont read or speak english very well. Some of them are 100% illiterate in all languages and still do things like beating on a piece of rebar with a 2x4 when they have a hammer and punch right there.

We pay them well for their skill set and provide nice benefits.

If they all of the sudden get raises to make what i make then im quitting or going back to being a technician. Why destroy my body and mind dealing with stress and long hours so i can make the same money? There is no reason to do it at that point. Just work an easy job, collect a check.

Since im high strung, i cant do that. Id quit and go where im valued more than the other employees.

By paying them the same as i make you are saying that my value is that of an illiterate migrant worker who cant comprehend simple instructions but does try hard. I'll be goddamned if that is my value in life.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can do the janitor's job tomorrow.  He can't do mine.  That's why I'd be upset.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd hit a whole new level of pissed off if they hired a new guy in at what I was making now.

If a new hire janitor is making the same as a seasoned employee that worked their way up to their current pay scale, there is a serious issue. People busted their ass to make what they do. They busted their ass to demostrate and achieve the value that they currently have.  A new guy walks in the door and makes the same pay grade without the same troubles? Fuck that. (I'm not union a guy)

I wouldn't be disturbed if the forces of capitalism caused this change in pay grade. That would be the natural market being natural.

The issues is some shit face attempting to rewrite what is fair. The same fuck face is attempting to alter the rules of economics. He will go bankrupt. Mark my words.

I guarantee that he will sink the company in the process. Many jobs will be lost to this experiment. None of these "fair wage" fuck faces will learn. I guarantee it. The cycle will repeat endlessly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can do the janitor's job tomorrow.  He can't do mine.  That's why I'd be upset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'd take my skills and tool box down the road. The competitor would appreciate the knowledge that I aquired at my previous employer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow! Isn't there a "laughing beer out the nose" icon for this?
Fucking retard!
And by that, I mean no offense to people born with an IQ below 65, only those that have "acquired" one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe something like this: Because you went to college, worked as an intern, spent ten years clawing your way up the corporate ladder to make $80k. And now any high school graduate working for your company just got a $45K raise, and you got zilch! And to make matters worse, you're unlikely to ever get a significant pay raise again, no matter how hard you work, because all the payroll is going to the new hires (who, in turn, have no need to ever work on increasing their skills to take up some of the slack at work).
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.

http://us.123rf.com/450wm/inspirestock/inspirestock1402/inspirestock140200653/26451959-a-lesbian-couple-kissing.jpg

I could use a couple of those right now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Meh, I don't really care what anyone else working in the same company as myself is getting as long as my pay is in line with my work field and is justified by my contributions. On the other hand I would likely jump ship too in this situation as, Christ, who in their right mind would believe for a second that any company could make such drastic pay changes and still stay financially solvent.  Doesn't matter if your salary increases 100% overnight on paper if it causes the company to close in less than a year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#31]
LOL.

Unintended consequences are a mother fucker.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#32]
wow. I'm. Shocked.

So the hard working, good people, got pissed that the dumb ones and slackers were making the same as them and said F YOU and quit?

yeah, never. ever. saw that coming.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.
View Quote

Um twice saturday alone lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#34]
boo hoo
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I dont post to facebook much but last night i posted the first story and said that the numbers didnt crunch and he would have serious issues within 1 or 2 years.

View Quote

Well, from the article, it looks like customers got mad that he was paying his employees what he wanted to pay them, and dropped him as a supplier. Petty. Like to know who THOSE businesses were.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because ARFCOM...  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I busted my ass and proved my worth to get the position I am currently in.  Took me 2 years to finally secure my present position.  

After I accomplished that, a high-up guy in another division said to my boss  "Hey, we have this guy who has been stuck in his position and going nowhere for years.  Can we have him work here with you?"

WTF?!?!?!?

So this guy who had no drive and no ambition gets promoted to the job I had been striving and working for?  A job he had no idea even existed?  Out of pity?  And has no college degree?  I had to explain to this guy what an exponent was when he saw the '^' symbol in the code.

Well that makes me feel really good about myself. And about all the time and money wasted on my education.

But I just keep on improving myself and my skills and demonstrating my value through my work.  I know he doesn't put the work into expanding and improving skills I do.

I bring this up because if you are making $70k you probably went to college, got a degree, paid off the debt, did internships, jumped through all the hoops to get where you are.

And then the CEO declares:  Jose the dropout who never had to pay the dues you did now makes as much as you do for cleaning the toilets.  Because that's the fair thing to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?!?!?!?

His business, his rules? Or does that only apply when it benefits certain people?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The janitor just got a big raise for no reason, and has to work no harder.  As a more valued employee, where's your raise?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens all the time with upper management. If there's nothing wrong with it for them, why is it wrong with the janitor?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
I can see where it would be irritating and a bit of a slap, but I tend to agree.

I have never understood peoples obsession with how much other folks make.

Having said that, it would be a huge indicator that you boss was an idiot and perhaps seeking work elsewhere may be appropriate.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, from the article, it looks like customers got mad that he was paying his employees what he wanted to pay them, and dropped him as a supplier. Petty. Like to know who THOSE businesses were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His customers saw where his business was going with his shitty decision and dropped him before they started having to pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Matthew 20

1“For the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard.  And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4 and to them he said, ‘You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you.’ 5 So they went. Going out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did the same. 6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing. And he said to them, ‘Why do you stand here idle all day?’ 7 They said to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’ 8 And when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first.’ 9 And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius. 10 Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. 11 And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, 12 saying, ‘These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.’ 13 But he replied to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you. 15 Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?’

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#42]
We don't need no CEO's! Their just a bunch of dranes on a company, talking heds and hand shakers. All they do is play golf all day. Their like politicians...just a bunch of do-nothings. Give me their job and I could pat people on the back and say good job, too.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#43]
And of course DU is spinning this entirely different.  

From the article they chose to quote- and no mention of him having to rent his house either...

"But as the New York Times reports, the plan made a lot of people upset. Most upset were employees who were already making salaries near the new $70,000 minimum. They felt that giving formerly much lower-paid employees the same salary as them deprived them of their status as highly-paid employees."

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027034890
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And do what, be petty towards them?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Or, most likely, the money makers and high-end workers getting paid the same as a janitor or secretary does not sit well and find it unfair.  Also, shows seriously poor decision making on the part of the owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

uh that's exactly what i said.

the whole tenet of liberalism is everyone is the equal.

when they are all the same they who cried for  equality will be the loudest to decry it as unfair.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't work at that place either.  Hope they go bankrupt and all their newly $70K/year employees lose their jobs too, I hate socialists
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again???
Damn. Twice in 1 week.

Another scientist here , are they really ARFCOMers?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cuz the janitor is going in the ladies room to sniff toilet seats while your busting your ass
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm not making $70k right now. However I do a job that can certainly be viewed as "more important" than a janitor's and I certainly make more than a janitor (in my town). So if I get a raise to 70k for the same "no reason", I'm psyched about my raise. Not upset that the janitor got one too.

My dad always told me "don't worry about what other people have or do, worry about yourself".
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wouldn't work at that place either.  Hope they go bankrupt and all their newly $70K/year employees lose their jobs too, I hate socialists
View Quote

Yup. This. Just like every other socialist do gooder out there......this guy thought he had figured out how. Lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top