BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 73
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do agree the boat could turn into a "farm" situation. There aren't going to be hordes of zombies paddling after them on top of old kayaks and beer coolers. Other than duking it out with pirates it seems like it would not be much of a zombie show
View Quote

1.  Zombie infested cruise ship, or freighter, to save people, or get supplies.
2.  Going ashore for the same reasons
3.  Bad people in boats who want their stuff (pirates)...
4.  Encounter naval or coast guard vessel that appears in order and ready to help, but it's crewed by a psychotic leader.
5.  Plans to get to a "safe haven" a tropical island, or patch of isolated coastline that turns out to be overrun by zombies, and cannibals.

They can probably get away with it ....for awhile.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've seen $87 budget flicks on ScyFy with better special effects than that.
View Quote

Did you happen to see the end of SoA? Thought I was playing PS2 for a second when I saw that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did you happen to see the end of SoA? Thought I was playing PS2 for a second when I saw that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha ha. Yeah I think I made a similar comment in that thread.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have to believe there is no shortage of "infected" people.  Beside, that place wasn't set up to do research.  I just think it's a little plot hole.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are the going to the trouble of evacuating patients, when they just left healthy people behind?

That doesn't make sense.

Science.  Still trying to figure out the cause.  Healthy people don't advance knowledge of the Z virus (or whatever).

I have to believe there is no shortage of "infected" people.  Beside, that place wasn't set up to do research.  I just think it's a little plot hole.  

Makes sense to me that the military would evacuate the patients, many of whom appeared to be wounded soldiers, before the people in the cages.  All the caged folks were troublemakers or undesirables of some sort.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
San Clemente would be my choice; it's a Navy owned island, with fewer people, wind turbines for power, and supplies.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Catalina Island, maybe?

plausible.  potable water would be a potential problem, as would clearing the island in the first place.  but if you can secure it, it'd be a great haven.
San Clemente would be my choice; it's a Navy owned island, with fewer people, wind turbines for power, and supplies.  

great thinking, but at what point would you feel comfortable entering an established military facility (rather than a temporary FOB)?

IMO, this is one of the biggest wasted opportunities for the whole series--showing the actual breakdown of social order.  when do old control mechanisms stop applying?  at what point can a guy break into a store for supplies, or take a boat from a marina, without thinking of himself as a thief?  i'd like to think that none of us would rob a man just to get what we need, but why would we think differently about robbery than burglary?  and what about the servicemen on san clemente?  if there are only 3 survivors, does that island now belong to them, even though they're not doing navy things anymore?

i think that's one of the most interesting concepts in play, and i'm extremely disappointed that the showrunners just glossed over it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm calling it right now:

Soul Crusher Washington will lead them on for a while.

Eventually they will be left at the shore and he will leave on the boat without them.
View Quote

hard to blame him, really--what skills do they bring to the table?  junkie jack sparrow has some low-grade criminal ability, and can be kept in line with drugs.  mommy has some organizational ability.  barber is a pragmatist, but represents a threat.  the rest of them are pretty much useless--unskilled labor.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm giving the show one more week, so far I'm not into it and it has been disappointing.
View Quote

Uhh then I have some bad news for you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I would think very quickly the law of "he who can hold it, owns it" would apply. It would start small with objects and vehicles and quickly expand to buildings, city blocks, entire cities. It would all depend on how many people can trust each other enough to hold the thing.

I can easily see successive groups of people controlling something important like a fort or a police station. It would start with (just for the purposes of example) 100 cops in a police station. As the social order breaks down the cops leave to tend to their families, leaving lets say ten cops at the station. They have nowhere to go and no one to take care of except themselves, so they band together and stay at the police station... for the sake of story they stay there expecting the NG of someone else to come and support them or relieve them.

I imagine days would turn to weeks, those ten cops would venture out and most likely lose a few of their number. Now you are down to say six cops. Perhaps they encounter a few families coming to the police station thinking "hey the cops will protect us" and perhaps they take in a few of them, now you are up to say twenty people but only six trained, experienced cops. Things could then go well and everyone gets along and they live happily ever after... or things go really bad and the combined onslaught of the undead mixed with probing attacks by random groups of gangs, thugs or just desperate men will dwindle their numbers. Next thing you know a group of hard mother fuckers shows up with explosives and tactics and manages to rout the remaining people holding the police station so they move in and take over, fortifying the place.

Then those people hold the police station until a larger or better equipped or ruthless group unseats them, or until the police station is destroyed ala the prison.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The article Aimless posted seems to indicate otherwise.  The producer said they're going on the boat, and that they'll explore ideas about trying to use the sea as an "escape".   I guess he could be lying, but he talked quite a bit about it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really hope that "the boat" does not become Fear's farm...

Bingo!  I was catching up on the thread and planned to mention this myself.  It's the same MacGuffin, but different geography.

I doubt they ever make it to the boat.

If there was in fact a boat in the plans the producers would have done a better job of showing it when they did.

The article Aimless posted seems to indicate otherwise.  The producer said they're going on the boat, and that they'll explore ideas about trying to use the sea as an "escape".   I guess he could be lying, but he talked quite a bit about it.  

They probably wanted to see what the season finale numbers were before buying a two million dollar yacht for next season production.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They probably wanted to see what the season finale numbers were before buying a two million dollar yacht for next season production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!  I was catching up on the thread and planned to mention this myself.  It's the same MacGuffin, but different geography.

If there was in fact a boat in the plans the producers would have done a better job of showing it when they did.

I doubt 2 million would buy the engines in that big boat
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would think very quickly the law of "he who can hold it, owns it" would apply. It would start small with objects and vehicles and quickly expand to buildings, city blocks, entire cities. It would all depend on how many people can trust each other enough to hold the thing.

View Quote

i think this is pretty much spot on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
This seemed like a good time to go back and watch the original webisodes, Torn Apart.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If he has a house like that he probably has had a crew standing by on the boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eventually they will be left at the shore and he will leave on the boat without them.
I doubt one man could pilot a boat that large  

If that was the case, they fled to protect their own families and loved ones.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I can easily see successive groups of people controlling something important like a fort or a police station. It would start with (just for the purposes of example) 100 cops in a police station. As the social order breaks down the cops leave to tend to their families, leaving lets say ten cops at the station. They have nowhere to go and no one to take care of except themselves, so they band together and stay at the police station... for the sake of story they stay there expecting the NG of someone else to come and support them or relieve them.

I imagine days would turn to weeks, those ten cops would venture out and most likely lose a few of their number. Now you are down to say six cops. Perhaps they encounter a few families coming to the police station thinking "hey the cops will protect us" and perhaps they take in a few of them, now you are up to say twenty people but only six trained, experienced cops. Things could then go well and everyone gets along and they live happily ever after... or things go really bad and the combined onslaught of the undead mixed with probing attacks by random groups of gangs, thugs or just desperate men will dwindle their numbers. Next thing you know a group of hard mother fuckers shows up with explosives and tactics and manages to rout the remaining people holding the police station so they move in and take over, fortifying the place.

Then those people hold the police station until a larger or better equipped or ruthless group unseats them, or until the police station is destroyed ala the prison.
View Quote
You just described the hospital and the rouge Atlanta PD Officers.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Travis is gonna do her! but with a gun..........
View Quote

She got T-Boned.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd do exactly the opposite. get to the boat, like the current crop is planning on doing
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Why was that airplane snippet only a minute and a half long?

How the hell am I supposed to fap to that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
One minute a week

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One minute a week  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One minute a week  

...yeah, that's a little slow.  4 months to watch 16 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Replay, one extra should give you enough time
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The pilot was shot in actual LA, the rest of the season was shot in Vancouver, so they are most likely going to keep it urban as I don't picture Canada being a good shooting double for the natural terrain of SoCal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will be really interesting to see if they go Nomadic Road Warrior or Omega Man Urban scrounger.

The pilot was shot in actual LA, the rest of the season was shot in Vancouver, so they are most likely going to keep it urban as I don't picture Canada being a good shooting double for the natural terrain of SoCal.

Some of the scenes in later episodes are definitely in L.A.  This show has been taking place in the neighbourhood he grew up in (El Sereno).  The high school in the show is his alma mater (Woodrow Wilson).  I imagine they shot some scenes in L.A. while here for later episodes and then incorporated them into episodes principally shot in Vancouver.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As they were panning out to see I half expected something to happen.  The thought of sub surfacing did cross my mind.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the boomers that were out at sea before the outbreak
are infected??

As they were panning out to see I half expected something to happen.  The thought of sub surfacing did cross my mind.  

That's what I was expecting to see, some submarine with the crew looking through the periscope at the yacht.

I wonder what would happen to ships at sea, especially if some were able to confirm that their crews had not been exposed to the virus yet.  Same with some of the more isolated populated islands.  Seems like it would have made for a more interesting 'Last Ship' to have set it in TWD universe.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The military isn't done yet.

It'll evolve in season 2.... hmmm.

View Quote

Heck, in TWD we still see organized military units operating pretty far into the timeline.  Giving the strong military presence in SoCal, including naval bases and a number of isolated desert bases, I would imagine things could well keep running in some form for a decent amount of time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone else kind of stuck on the main characters indirectly killing everyone in the area not just the people at the medical center but also their old neighbors? Opening the door on 2000 walkers isn't exactly being a team player. Not to mention they opened the gate to their old neighborhood and I didn't see them close it before they drove away. Getting Johnny Dope back probably cost about a hundred other people their lives.
View Quote

Yeah, I thought it was pretty messed up and both inconsiderate and selfish of them.  They're going darkside very quickly in some ways, it seems.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I do agree the boat could turn into a "farm" situation. There aren't going to be hordes of zombies paddling after them on top of old kayaks and beer coolers. Other than duking it out with pirates it seems like it would not be much of a zombie show
View Quote

Lol, maybe if the outbreak hit during a hydroplane race or a milk carton derby.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty messed up and both inconsiderate and selfish of them.  They're going darkside very quickly in some ways, it seems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else kind of stuck on the main characters indirectly killing everyone in the area not just the people at the medical center but also their old neighbors? Opening the door on 2000 walkers isn't exactly being a team player. Not to mention they opened the gate to their old neighborhood and I didn't see them close it before they drove away. Getting Johnny Dope back probably cost about a hundred other people their lives.

Closing the neighborhood gate would have only taken an extra 5 seconds.  If they would have been 2 seconds later, Nick would have been munched in that hallway.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#29]
the worst part of this show is that it made me finally go out and buy armor, even though i shouldn't be spending the money right now.

and it isn't even a good show!

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would be leasing a boat...
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt one man could pilot a boat that large  

...with the boat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Closing the neighborhood gate would have only taken an extra 5 seconds.  If they would have been 2 seconds later, Nick would have been munched in that hallway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't matter.
That would have slowed the whole group down 5 seconds, so Johnny Dope would have been in his cell for 5 seconds longer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Wouldn't matter.

That would have slowed the whole group down 5 seconds, so Johnny Dope would have been in his cell for 5 seconds longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't matter.

Yep

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#34]
What did Strand take from the pocket of the soldier he had been bribing?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

He took back the cuff links he'd given the guy previously
I think it was kind of cold to not put the poor guy out of his misery
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why waste a bullet?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could they even close the gate from the outside?

Was there an exterior control panel?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently the last NG out must have closed it otherwise it would have already been open.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Season 1 is over bub... there is no next week.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm giving the show one more week, so far I'm not into it and it has been disappointing.
Season 1 is over bub... there is no next week.  

Well that kinda works then. Shows you how much attention I have dedicated to this show, it just has the feeling of going through the motions to me. Haven't been impressed at all with the writing or acting.

Meh, and I thought I'd enjoy a show about the left coast being eaten.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they have taken the time to install an electronic control panel on a hastily built fence in an area plagued by brown-outs
I just don't understand that one at all.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why would they have taken the time to install an electronic control panel on a hastily built fence in an area plagued by brown-outs
View Quote

I assumed they had multiple generators. Look at all the portable area lights they had around the unsafe zone.

I would also assume that big gate had a manual open / close fail-safe function if it lost power.

The thing that I'm impressed with was how nice the unsafe zone's perimeter fencing and entry point were. That NG unit really knew how to build a nice fence in a few days.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The thing that I'm impressed with was how nice the unsafe zone's perimeter fencing and entry point were. That NG unit really knew how to build a nice fence in a few days.
View Quote

Maybe they picked neighborhoods with existing sections of cyclone fencing that only had to have the gaps filled in like at the checkpoint
There had to be some criteria they used to pick the 12 safe zones
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone else feel like there was an element of hypocrisy in the fade to sound of gunshot when Liza got the third eye? They seem to have no problem showing the zombie kills and glorifying in a guy getting his head chopped off by a tail rotor, straight razor torture etc but somehow showing Travis kill his ex-wife was out of bounds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anyone else feel like there was an element of hypocrisy in the fade to sound of gunshot when Liza got the third eye? They seem to have no problem showing the zombie kills and glorifying in a guy getting his head chopped off by a tail rotor, straight razor torture etc but somehow showing Travis kill his ex-wife was out of bounds.
View Quote

Look at the flowers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think that was a purposeful creative decision. Ex Wife did not tell anyone but Gelfling Mom that she was bit (and then Travis when he wandered into their little thing). The gunshot was completely unexpected to the rest of the group, who the focus of the shot was on. We were supposed to see their surprise at what just happened rather than the event itself.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Of note to those who care, they appear to be rushing Fear out on DVD/Blu Ray by early December. It is already on iTunes as they do like they do with TWD (and all the other AMC shows) and have day and date DDL availability.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh wow I just pulled up the finale's numbers... no dead cat bounce, it pulled a 6.86. Only a .2 rise from last week. Not only did the show find the floor, it couldn't draw anyone back for the finale.

Again I have to say that a 6 point anything for a basic cable show on Sunday night prime time is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. It is a good solid number they can ride all the way to the ad sales department. To give folks a frame of reference, remember their summer lineup on Sunday nights? Humans and Halt and Catch Fire? Humans averaged a 1.X and Halt barely pulled a 0.5... ZERO point five. Humans got renewed and Halt is unannounced but most likely on the woodpile. For Fear to hold a solid six in the same time slot on the same night (admittedly summer is an off season but Sunday nights are the new A game even in summer) says volumes. People are watching the show and coming back to keep watching the show. If season two holds sixes then I would expect a season three.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what an elephant is right?

A mouse built to milspec
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Overall I really like the episode, but I'm going to bitch about the 5.56 not penetrating chain link fencing.
View Quote

Yeah, without getting the muzzle through the fence, that fence would be getting shot out in short order.  But, I suppose that could be a tough special effects thing to pull off.
Page / 73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top