Can you even find ROEs online?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ROE of their respective era's?  WWII guys win.  Their ROE was kill the enemy and break his shit.

This is my point exactly, if the rest can't tell, the question is really about ROE.  Modern politically correct ROE is a killer.

Show me any recent ROE in a combat theater that prevents American forces from locating, closing with, and destroying the enemy.

Can you even find ROEs online?

Probably not easily. I DO know though that there is NOTHING that will prevent American forces from killing the enemy- uniformed or not. We blow up fuckers for digging holes on the side of the road with a fucking cobra they didn't even know was there. ROE's aren't what everyone thinks they are.

It does get a little sketchy at times, but if there is a uniformed declared enemy it's fucking on. If someone without a uniform shows hostile act or hostile intent...it's ALSO on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You young guys  have no ideal how fast you would lose.     men where a different generation back then.    hard working farm boys ,   and they lived in a time when parents kicked there asses.    no crying about being cold or hungry .   WWII   guys    were hunting for food as teens  not playing video games.  

300 men company   wouldn't survive a day  with  a 300 men WWII troop  with equal amount of weapons   no electronics
View Quote

There's a real strong myth about the quality of the average American WWII Infantryman.

Unfortunately it's a false myth.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You young guys  have no ideal how fast you would lose.     men where a different generation back then.    hard working farm boys ,   and they lived in a time when parents kicked there asses.    no crying about being cold or hungry .   WWII   guys    were hunting for food as teens  not playing video games.  

300 men company   wouldn't survive a day  with  a 300 men WWII troop  with equal amount of weapons   no electronics
View Quote

How long did you serve in the infantry?

ETA- Again, no disrespect to the WWII guys but this myth of the hard-ass farm boy infantryman is funny. The WWII generation had their fair share of pansies just like this generation. Modern infantry is better trained and better equipped and now had 12 years of combat experience.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Grit and determination can overcome a lot, but it doesn't overcome 70+ years of advances in soldiering. This would be about on par with asking how Gettysburg would be if it was Lee vs Patton. The time difference is about the same!  

Grandpappy would be in for an asskicking.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, no.

A good chunk of the guys who were drafted were pencil pushing store clerks and students, not hard ass hunters and farmers.

They took ANYONE whom they could take to fight the Germans (who had much better infantry at the time) and the Japanese.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just getting my body and mind ready to time travel kill my grandpa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you love war crimes?

But if you do, then you'll never have existed, therefore you didn't do anything, therefore you're not a war criminal.

And we still won't know what round for grandpa.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But if you do, then you'll never have existed, therefore you didn't do anything, therefore you're not a war criminal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you don't cease to exist.  Maybe you just get transported to the Hitlerverse instead.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Modern.  Superior communications.  Superior night fighting capability.  Armor.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Modern every time
Night vision, body armor, professional soldiers, vehicles, commo, optics, better machine guns
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Modern every time
Night vision, body armor, professional soldiers, vehicles, commo, optics, better machine guns
View Quote

Not to mention better logistics as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sit in defense till night time.

Murder WW2 people.

Disappear because you killed your grandpa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Body armor is going to go a long way.

Murder WW2 people.

You read my mind...night vision wins it.  LMGs and M4s with PEQs and soldiers with PVS14s end it before it starts on the first night.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Being an 11B as recently as 2014, I really want to say modern but I still think it'd have to go to the old guys.
Their only disadvantage against us is optics.

They don't have 130lbs of PPE to slow them down.
Their rifles can outrange ours.
The individual soldier is going to be a tougher, leaner, meaner sumbitch; while half of ours won't be in the fight because they went red on dental and have a profile for fibromyalgia.
View Quote

I think that sooner or later it would come down to who had more experienced mortarmen if we are talking about men fighting against men with what they can carry on their backs. I'd be willing to get that by the end of WW2 that most of those guys were really good at setting up a mortar, lobbing a few really well placed shots and scooting out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think that sooner or later it would come down to who had more experienced mortarmen if we are talking about men fighting against men with what they can carry on their backs. I'd be willing to get that by the end of WW2 that most of those guys were really good at setting up a mortar, lobbing a few really well placed shots and scooting out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being an 11B as recently as 2014, I really want to say modern but I still think it'd have to go to the old guys.

The individual soldier is going to be a tougher, leaner, meaner sumbitch; while half of ours won't be in the fight because they went red on dental and have a profile for fibromyalgia.

And modern mortarmen sit around 29 Palms and drop mortars all goddamn day long.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Murder WW2 people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Murder WW2 people.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Serious answer: Modern soldiers would crush WW2 era soldiers.  Significantly better training, significantly larger and more physically fit, vastly superior equipment, and 70 years to perfect the tactics that were born in WW2.

Non-serious answer: WW2 fuckin' wins, Garands are the key to victory in warfare. The raw murder capability of muh .30-06 makes a lion of any man.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Only way the WW2 guys win is if there is some gross disparity in the combat experience of both forces.  i.e. the modern force is fresh out of AIT and has never worked together as a unit before and the WW2 force is the 506th from "Band of Brothers" towards the end of the war.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
What "WWII troops" are we talking about? Have they seen combat, straight up infantry, airborne, FSSF? Or are we even talking about the US as it could theoretically include any axis or allied soldier or even those who weren't technically allied to anyone.

I think the  FSSF and airborne troops that had seen tons of combat would certainly be a tough nut to crack.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

S_A_C thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting sidebar... what is the basic load of 60mm for a company today vs. 1944?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the WW2 unit. My dad was in the 101st and was a D-day and Market Garden vet . They were well trained and in very good shape when they jumped into France. By that point he had marched across Ga in a training exorcise . Jumped at Camp McCall , had explosive training in England  ,  The fought the SS and took no prisoners , Dad took being shot at personally and said they should have surrendered when they had ammo left . Dad was also in a Mortar squad , they jumped in with a 60mm mortar a nice feature to even some odds . He was also good with a Garand . he knew all of the tricks , reloading on a partial clip and he was very quick on the reload even in his 60's  They also trained shooting at longer ranges than the army currently does . Dad liberated an unattended bank in Holland Really.  , Even if he loses it will be a bloody fight . He shot a lot of Germans in 1944-45. He also killed a few Arabs in 1948 . He liked war
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This should be fun, assume no fire support, reinforcements, or intelligence, fight starts in early morning shortly after sun up, area is mixed urban and open, think the outskirts of a city, one company sized element of each, each has the ROE and weapons and equipment of their respective eras, all else is equal, who wins?

What about with equal weapons and equipment (assuming the other side has been familiarized)?
View Quote

LOL at all the people who responded "we would win by fighting at night!" or "we would win because we have mortars!"  You can tell who didn't read the original post.

Rifle company vs. Rifle company, with the ROE and weapons/equipment of their respective eras, I would say the ETO U.S. Army of 1945 vintage might carry the day.  Lack of 130lbs. of personal protective gear and other gear alone aids their mobility greatly.  What hurts them is the lack of modern comms.  .
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL at all the people who responded "we would win by fighting at night!" or "we would win because we have mortars!"  You can tell who didn't read the original post.

Rifle company vs. Rifle company, with the ROE and weapons/equipment of their respective eras, I would say the ETO U.S. Army of 1945 vintage might carry the day.  Lack of 130lbs. of personal protective gear and other gear alone aids their mobility greatly.  What hurts them is the lack of modern comms.  .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This should be fun, assume no fire support, reinforcements, or intelligence, fight starts in early morning shortly after sun up, area is mixed urban and open, think the outskirts of a city, one company sized element of each, each has the ROE and weapons and equipment of their respective eras, all else is equal, who wins?

What about with equal weapons and equipment (assuming the other side has been familiarized)?

He said company vs company. I select mech infantry company and they don't even have to dismount
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He said company vs company. I select mech infantry company and they don't even have to dismount
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

d'oh.  You win
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
ROE of their respective era's?  WWII guys win.  Their ROE was kill the enemy and break his shit.
View Quote

This.  Modern infantry is hamstrung by lawyers (ROE) and generals that are a shadow of the WWII counterparts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I dunno, I think a bunch of 90 year olds vs 19 year old is pretty unfair.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mortars are organic to the infantry company lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Modern Infantry is composed of Professional Soldiers, WW2 was conscripted,volunteers and a few Professionals.

Modern Wins
View Quote

Pretty much sums it up
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.  Modern infantry is hamstrung by lawyers (ROE) and generals that are a shadow of the WWII counterparts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ROE are you talking about.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one that says that a group of uniformed soldiers must be treated as if it a bunch of kindergarteners.
That also ignores the roe of the march to Baghdad
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#34]
WAIT A MINUTE

does the modern infantry company have to wear reflective belts?  My God, that could make all the difference in the world.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not against 30.06
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Depends. I think a well seasoned WWII company that had seen loads of combat vs a company of modern 19 year olds who haven't seen a bit may be pretty close.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a real strong myth about the quality of the average American WWII Infantryman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank Tom Brokaw
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
S_A_C thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Modern forces.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#41]
given equal weapons... WWII every time. Both sides are equally willing to kill for their country but only WWII warriors were willing to die for their country. When things get hairy, that generation got things done at whatever cost while this generation... not so much.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#42]
WW2 US infantry was basically a pickup game. The army went from about 200,00 soldiers in all branches in late 1939 to about 8 million by war's end. That meant there wasn't much in the way of a professional NCO or officer cadre, with all that implies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
given equal weapons... WWII every time. Both sides are equally willing to kill for their country but only WWII warriors were willing to die for their country. When things get hairy, that generation got things done at whatever cost while this generation... not so much.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This opinion says much. Obviously you do not associate with men of character, because there are many of this generation willing to make the sacrifice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not against 30.06
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not against 30.06

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Where is that article that discusses something very similar?

The general belief was that modern infantry wins the day, fairly easily. It cites better health, better physical fitness, better training, and better tactical awareness than the WWII counterpart.

As somebody said earlier. Modern infantry are volunteer professionals while WWII infantry were mostly conscripted.

Something like WWII infantry are told to attack 'over there' and, while they have general principles, they mostly make it up as they go. While modern infantry has worked on this exact scenario dozens of times and everybody knows their role.

Dunno if it was that article or not but I came across something that said that WWII casualty rates were not necessarily due to heavy-fighting-no-way-around-it-a-lot-of-people-are-dying but due to lack of training. Remember, while Germany was invading Poland, the US had one of the smallest poorly equipped armies in the world. They had to go from that to toeing it with the Axis nearly overnight.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, no one has ever died in the GWOT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but only WWII warriors were willing to die for their country.

There were 6 battles in WW2 where there were more Americans killed than all of Iraq and Afghanistan deaths combined.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There were 6 battles in WW2 where there were more Americans killed than all of Iraq and Afghanistan deaths combined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that lessens the sacrifice of those who died in Iraq and Afghanistan how, exactly?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... and some in this thread are touting that as if it counts in the WWII GI's favor.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top