Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 6:41:17 AM EDT

Police say he put too much gunpowder into the weapon, causing the barrel to explode from the wooden stock when it was fired.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The weapon was taken to police headquarters...

Why?  Are they afraid it might go off again?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably as evidence in an injury incident, and maybe they're planning on sending it to a forensics lab? Just a guess.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Too much gunpowder, my ass. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the guy used smokeless powder instead of black powder.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock makes muskets?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Too much gunpowder, my ass. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the guy used smokeless powder instead of black powder.
View Quote

Same thing I thought.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, any smokeless powder would be too much then wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I know very little about black powder firearm, but I would. Imagine too much of wrong powder would create essentially a pipe bomb.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess if you had to have a story behind losing two fingers that would be a bad one because it shows you're an idiot that didn't know what he was doing.  Two less fingernails to clip now.  Hopefully, he gets the musket back as a wall hanger and reminder.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Lawsuit against the gun and powder maker as well as the group that sponsored the event will be filed by next week.
Probably sue the city too just because.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I am going to go with smokeless powder.
Any amount in a BP weapon is too much

However there is another possibility.
He could have had one of the cheapo Indian made replicas, those can fail.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Most muzzle loaders are pretty stout it takes a concerted effort to blow on up.  

A few reasons that I can think of is using a little bit of bullseye 5 gr. or so under the BP,  some people used to think this eliminated fouling to a degree.

One too many Pyrodex pellets in search of velocity.

Stupidly using smokeless instead of BP

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
"In this ceremony, we remove two of your fingers using a deliberate musket mis-fire".
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard of people loading NAA blackpowder .22s and Ruger Old Armys with Bullseye. Never seen a charge weight but from what I have read it's common, if unwise.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Police say he put too much gunpowder into the weapon, causing the barrel to explode from the wooden stock when it was fired.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MUSKET_MISFIRE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-07-30-06-08-05

View Quote

im not understanding how this is possible. unless he was using SMOKELESS powder. i used to have a muzzle loader book, that demonstrated how tough muzzleloaders were, and how it was pretty much impossible to blow one up using large powder charges.  they filled 1/2 the barrel up .. i meant to say, they used multiple charges.. 2-3-4 times the normal load, over triple bullets and didnt do it....IIRC and seated a bullet... and it just recoiled hard.... then they seated three bullets... still kicked hard....

now over loading.. and seating a bullet.. then loading a second bullet and leaving about a 6 inch gap between bullets blew them up pretty easily.

im not buying the guy used too much powder..... unless he was using regular gun powder... and not pyrodex etc.

im not saying you cant blow one up, by using too much powder... as black powder is pretty dangerous stuff... and theres no way in hell id do a double or triple charge myself... im just saying a read a thick muzzle loader book, and they did experiments TRYING to blow one up... and triple charges, even over triple bullets would not / did not blow the gun up.... they tried it multiple times, shooting it by pulling a string...
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn.  
Just glad they did not put a packing rod through someone's chest like another reenactment did.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in a old design yes..... but savage made a muzzle loader designed for smokeless powder... but i think it was discontinued, as if you double loaded it you would most likely blow yourself up.

supposed to use 100 grains of pyrodex..... but you accidently load 200..... just kicks harder IIRC.

supposed to load 30 grains of smokeless and you load 60...... BOOM
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#19]
You'd have to use an awful lot of blackpowder to do that, enough that anyone would know it's too much. He probably used smokeless.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
this seems perfect for the subject.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm offended that a musket is called a "weapon"
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Powderhorn full of Red Dot, probably.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Normally one does not load a ball in a display shot. Some guys use a crumpled patch as a wad so the charge stays together while they handle the gun, but the patch has no meaningful mass or resistance to expansion of the gas. Without the ball, smokeless should just burn. If he piled a heavy load of FFFFg in there, that could detonate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I seem to recall there are Indian-made muskets imported as "display pieces" that some people actually shoot.  

What could possibly go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just a slightly educated guess here: maybe they took it to figure out if any crime was involved, like tampering with the barrel to hurt or kill the operator or intentional use of the wrong gunpowder (unknown to the operator) occurred.  If it had, losing fingers would amount to mayhem, a pretty serious felony.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I am going to go with smokeless powder.

Any amount in a BP weapon is too much

However there is another possibility.

He could have had one of the cheapo Indian made replicas, those can fail.
View Quote

There has been ONE documented failure of an Indian made repro in the US, and that one had been seriously neglected by its owner according the testing done by HP White.

But I agree with the previous posters, it's most likely that he put smokeless in the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top