Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/29/2015 9:18:49 PM EDT
We like to make fun of each others brand preferences and talk shit, but it's a good thing people  are  watching these assholes.
Ford apparently decided to only put steel reinforcement( wheel blockers) in its super crews for 2015, the regular cab and super cab just received a marginal safety rating from the IIHS. IIHS Crash testing only typically gets done on the highest volume seller in this case it was the screw. Now that they've been caught they will add the wheel blockers for all models stating next year, and they won't be doing any recalls for 2015 regular and supercabs.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150729/OEM11/150729843?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Beer can with 4 wheels.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
65k death trap
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Overpriced POS.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still happy with my non-aluminum 2013 FX4!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Because this has never happened before? This was a problem for them ten years ago on the f150 model.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

65k death trap
View Quote
pretty much this. However, all pickups are overpriced......

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Never buy the first year of any vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You couldn't even pay me to own or even less ride in a ford
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd buy/drive an F-150, pavement princess and all
A lot of new technologies sometimes get a bad rap for reasons that range from legitimate concerns to hokey (plastic glock frames comes to mind)

BUT.

My god. If it folds up like an accordion in crash tests, with support not in every model, count me out

ETA:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150729/OEM11/150729843?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]
They keep charging more and more and the quality goes down and down.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

UAW labor doesn't pay for itself comrade
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate everything about the U.S. automotive market, especially trucks.  I don't care if it can haul or tow some outrageous weight.  For the prices they charge today they should put a diesel in everything and warranty that shit for a half million miles.  Then I might be interested.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
But that ecoboost and torque though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmm, think I'll get a Tacoma
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be Ecosmoosh......................
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Does it have the pop-a-top option, and is there a 10c deposit?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Ford Tough.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My god. If it folds up like an accordion in crash tests, with support not in every model, count me out

View Quote
That is how energy is dissipated, bruh.

If the structure did not give way, the same kinetic energy would be causing trauma to your body.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]
At what speed was the test conducted? How do Chevy and dodge compare? With the screw being the top dog in safety apparently, is it real that big of a deal if something is not as safe as it? How do the last generations of trucks do in this test? It seems like the super crew is just incredibly safe from a forward collision. Making a truck that isn't that safe seem dangerous. It's also a 100% guarantee that this was made out to be a much bigger problem than it is. I'd like to know what everybody crying about safety in this thread drives, and whether or not it has "wheel protectors"

But then again why didn't ford just use the same "protectors" on the other models?

I find it funny how today a crew cab 4x4 is the most common model, where as in the 70's it was the rarest model by far. Ok, maybe the 4x4 f350 models are rarer, but they are close.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you ask the EPA why this is happening?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hmm, think I'll get a Tacoma
View Quote

Definately
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad I got the screwcab.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Checked for taco and ram. They still haven't been tested for front collision.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Beer can with 4 wheels.
View Quote

A 777 is a Pringles can riding on jet engines.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
65k death trap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
65k death trap

FWIW:

The four-door Super Crew version of the 2015 F-150 got top ratings in all five of the crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. For now, it is the only full-size truck on the market with the institute’s “Top Safety Pick” rating.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/07/29/crash-tests/30855977/

I guess I'll take my chances.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beer can with 4 wheels.

Isn't anything that's "flying" a pringles can when it hits something?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#28]
"Be not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside."
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
65k death trap

FWIW:

The four-door Super Crew version of the 2015 F-150 got top ratings in all five of the crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. For now, it is the only full-size truck on the market with the institute’s “Top Safety Pick” rating.

Full size trucks definitely aren't as safe as people feel in them.  Fairly high death rates actually in a lot of cases
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

65k death trap

FWIW:

The four-door Super Crew version of the 2015 F-150 got top ratings in all five of the crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. For now, it is the only full-size truck on the market with the institute’s "Top Safety Pick” rating.

Only the super crew, the one Ford knew was going to be tested. Pretty sad that they omitted two $58 pieces of steel for the people not buying the super crew. Did you read that without those steel tubes the floor comes in 13 inches and your head ends up on the dashboard.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Full size trucks definitely aren't as safe as people feel in them.  Fairly high death rates actually in a lot of cases
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
65k death trap

FWIW:

I guess that's tangential to the point but I'm curious to know your source anyway.  I'm looking at IIHS data and it does not show this.

For 2013, deaths per million registered vehicles 1 to 3 years old:

Cars -> 58 DPM
Trucks -> 52 DPM
SUVs -> 26 DPM

That's a fairly solid statistic since it measure the performance of late model vehicles.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Y'all understand that its not a unibody, right. Thin steel would fold just like aluminum.  This would ne a problem even with traditional steel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Only the super crew, the one Ford knew was going to be tested. Pretty sad that they omitted two $58 pieces of steel for the people not buying the super crew. Did you read that without those steel tubes the floor comes in 13 inches and your head ends up on the dashboard.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
65k death trap

FWIW:

The four-door Super Crew version of the 2015 F-150 got top ratings in all five of the crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. For now, it is the only full-size truck on the market with the institute’s "Top Safety Pick” rating.

I'm aware.  It's in the text I quoted.  I wouldn't get a regular or a super cab until they fix it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Beer can with 4 wheels.
View Quote

government mileage requirements
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
And that Truecoat

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about i blame both of them, and i think both of them should be sent out to sea and then the boat sunk.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#38]
The CrewCab models have the highest safety rating and it stomps Chevy and Dodge.

For what ever reason Ford didn't put the wheel deflectors on the SuperCab models. The super cab is probably harder to strengthen as well with the suicide doors.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Overpriced POS.
View Quote

They all are.

Trucks are the new dick measuring device and have forgotten their place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They all are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced POS.

They all are.

The world doesn't need to see the latest truck but the "old" version of a MAN makes all
this garbage fall by the wayside...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#41]
This is the small off set crash test that has everyone but Volvo scrambling to overcome. A lot of vehicles failed to this fairly new test.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If the structure did not give way, the same kinetic energy would be causing trauma to your body.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came to post this.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#43]

The small-overlap front crash test has proved particularly vexing to automakers since it was introduced in 2012. The test crashes a front corner of the vehicle against a stationary barrier at 40 mph, simulating the vehicle striking an object such as a tree. Many automakers have had difficulty passing the test.

The two diverging 2015 F-150 crash test results show why.

Not really a fair criticism by OP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

65k death trap

FWIW:

If that was true they would simply add the steel bars. Article says they are looking into separate measures for each frame. Article was updated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

THIS

and

Quoted:
Quoted:
Beer can with 4 wheels.

government mileage requirements

that
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The small-overlap front crash test has proved particularly vexing to automakers since it was introduced in 2012. The test crashes a front corner of the vehicle against a stationary barrier at 40 mph, simulating the vehicle striking an object such as a tree. Many automakers have had difficulty passing the test.
The two diverging 2015 F-150 crash test results show why.
View Quote

Not really a fair criticism by OP.

Not fair? This isn't about Ford vs the other full size trucks,  they haven't been tested yet,  it's about Ford only putting the extra steel in the model they knew was going to be tested. The IIHS only did more testing because they were tipped off to what Ford did. If you want to see something worst, you can look at the 10mph rear collision results, the entire bed side has to be replaced and the aluminum tore lol. That is the test that's going to drive up the insurance costs. You can see pics here, never mind that sledgehammer test, this is a real rear end collision test done by the IIHS at 10mph, the people who do testing for the insurance. Ford disagreed with them, but the pictures speak for themselves, fender benders will not be kind to the aluminum truck.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2015/07/29/mixed-crash-test-results-versions-ford/30854467/

IIHS ran crash tests at 10 mph with the 2015 F-150 crew cab and the 2014 steel version. The group crashed the front left corner of the aluminum pickup into the right rear corner of the steel pickup at a 15 percent overlap, and then flipped the test and ran the steel pickup into the back of the aluminum one.

In both scenarios, the aluminum F-150 had more extensive damage than the steel model. Total repair costs for the front and rear damage combined were 26 percent higher for the aluminum F-150. "Extra time to repair the aluminum body accounted for the higher price to fix frontal damage, while higher parts costs pushed up the repair bill for the rear damage,” IIHS said.

"From a simple bolt-on parts replacement to a more-involved removal and installation of entire body panels, fixing the aluminum F-150 is more expensive than repairing a steel-body F-150,” Zuby says.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Y'all understand that its not a unibody, right. Thin steel would fold just like aluminum.  This would ne a problem even with traditional steel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

No it wouldn't! This new truck is a soda can death trap, instead of a traditional soup can death trap! HERPY DERP DERP!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They all are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced POS.

They all are.

Ahh yup.

They're not even pretending anymore. As seen in Chevys latest ads.

So stupid.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

No joke.

The 2015 Mustangs have had a host of issues.   I am almost 20k saved towards a major down payment but I am really unsure of I will even pull the trigger in 2016.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'd buy/drive an F-150, pavement princess and all

A lot of new technologies sometimes get a bad rap for reasons that range from legitimate concerns to hokey (plastic glock frames comes to mind)

BUT.

ETA:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/CA/20150729/OEM11/150729843/AR/0/1.jpg&cci_ts=20150729212334
View Quote
Early in my driving life I owned and drove a 1975 Honda Civic.

Go look one up if you're not familiar.

I say this because I am fine with the results of your pic.  

My goal in to not wreck. No matter what I drive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top