Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need therapy.
View Quote

Well I suppose you're an expert, got a couch I can lay on and tell you all about my childhood and how someone did something and my genes are responsible for my behavior?
View Quote

Kevv, dude, calm down.

Dan is good people.
View Quote

Some of us remember his prior incarnations and some obviously do not.

Regarding the OP's assertion, static parenting may work out well for a single child family, it could by chance work for a family with more than one, but dynamic parenting is a surer bet.

Dynamic parenting along with the nurturing effect that it and the child's overall environment provides, coupled with the effects of the child's natural predispositions is the recipe that is responsible of for the outcome.

Do not discount the individuals ability, should they be fortunate enough to realize it, to correct their own shortcomings.

The variables that pertain to this discussion are many and most will not be mentioned here. Take your brother's example, he grew up with the guy formerly known as Dusty_C here, on that basis alone I would feel comfortable with assuming that you may have been a bigger influence in his life than he in yours.

Your questioning his lack of accomplishment strikes me the same way an obviously shitty parent does when they're bemoaning the child's issues, which are nearly always the result of their parenting or lack thereof, though they're oblivious of it or at least they pretend to be.

Look on the bright side, at least you got to point out your accomplishments again though I don't get why you think it necessary to stand on your brother's back to do so.

Perhaps it's just the product of you nature, nurture and environment.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of people seem to be emotionally invested in the idea that how we are as adults is in no way determined by which particular sperm happens to fertilize the egg. Logic (and scientific data) would seem to argue otherwise, but most people just don't care. They want to believe in equality of opportunity (in terms of ability). They just don't want to accept that we are not all born equal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

XCR probably knows as much or more about me as any arfcommer other than my wife or a few HTF guys. She knows what's up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Regarding the OP's assertion, static parenting may work out well for a single child family, it could by chance work for a family with more than one, but dynamic parenting is a surer bet.

Dynamic parenting along with the nurturing effect that it and the child's overall environment provides, coupled with the effects of the child's natural predispositions is the recipe that is responsible of for the outcome.

Do not discount the individuals ability, should they be fortunate enough to realize it, to correct their own shortcomings.

The variables that pertain to this discussion are many and most will not be mentioned here. Take your brother's example, he grew up with the guy formerly known as Dusty_C here, on that basis alone I would feel comfortable with assuming that you may have been a bigger influence in his life than he in yours.

Your questioning his lack of accomplishment strikes me the same way an obviously shitty parent does when they're bemoaning the child's issues, which are nearly always the result of their parenting or lack thereof, though they're oblivious of it or at least they pretend to be.

Look on the bright side, at least you got to point out your accomplishments again though I don't get why you think it necessary to stand on your brother's back to do so.

Perhaps it's just the product of you nature, nurture and environment.

View Quote
Now for the rest.

Don't quit your day job, a shrink you are not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
One can usually see differences in personality when kids aren't even walking yet. You can definitely see differences in toddlers. Personality may or may  not be genetic, or wired early in childhood, but it definitely takes hold very early in life.

Good parenting can help, but if they are born sociopaths or psychopaths or just assholes, there isn't a lot you can do to change them unless they want to change.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Parents often treat siblings differently based on the sibling's personality and their personal preferences. Few parents don't secretly have a favourite child, or a child they generally get along better with.

Second, traumas can happen to one sibling but not both. I was molested. My brother wasn't. My father beat me. He didn't beat my brother. Et cetera.

Thirdly, in dysfunctional families, siblings tend to either try and maintain the status quo of fucked-up-edness, or they point out that things are fucked up and become known to the rest of the family as the "troublemaker." Guess which one I am, and guess which one my brother is.

There's a lot more to it than that, but those are three places to start, OP.
View Quote

BOOM!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top