BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
hammermill thread.

The pay and the pension would be my guess.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Officially"...you didnt have to at least have an Address in The City when you were in the academy????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's also an agency where you HAVE to live in NYC to be hired, and stay in the 5 boroughs for a period after starting....

News to me.

"Officially"...you didnt have to at least have an Address in The City when you were in the academy????

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And that's no service to the public. Seriously, a good police officer is worth..... how much did you say your freedom is worth? Good officers understand the laws they enforce, and will often possess the knowledge to minimize the damage done by poorly-written and ill-conceived laws. They'll have an active interest in their communities because they and their families live there. They can be part of their community when they are paid enough to live in that community rather than the one 45 minutes away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol at some of the responses

There will always be people attracted to law enforcement, for good and bad reasons.  As less and less low skill jobs are available due to automation,  LEO and other government jobs will become even more desirable.   If the pool of applicants ever gets so low we can't find enough to fill it,  they will lower the requirements, just like the military.

And that's no service to the public. Seriously, a good police officer is worth..... how much did you say your freedom is worth? Good officers understand the laws they enforce, and will often possess the knowledge to minimize the damage done by poorly-written and ill-conceived laws. They'll have an active interest in their communities because they and their families live there. They can be part of their community when they are paid enough to live in that community rather than the one 45 minutes away.

Fuck That.... I moved OUT of the area i worked in once I had my Daughter..Been there Done That, seen kids of co-workers get jumped because they locked up some wannabe Gangbangers Brother, Father, or Mother.  I was out with the Wife and Daughter and ran across a group of shitheads who i knew "Professionally"...they didnt bother me, but they were eyeing the wife and munchkin..within 2 months I'd found a place in a different County and GTFO.   Then again there is an (albeit small) group here, who from their comments doesnt have an Issue with going after a Cop's Family.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That, the health benefits, and paid vacation are the only reasons why people I know have taken a LE job recently.
ETA: Job security too in areas with unions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That, the health benefits, and paid vacation are the only reasons why people I know have taken a LE job recently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's about right.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's also an agency where you HAVE to live in NYC to be hired, and stay in the 5 boroughs for a period after starting....

News to me.

Nope.

I stand Corrected
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I stand Corrected
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I stand Corrected

You only had to live in the city if you wanted the extra residency points on the hiring exam. Not really needed with how ridiculously easy the exam is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seriously, a good police officer is worth..... how much did you say your freedom is worth? Good officers understand the laws they enforce, and will often possess the knowledge to minimize the damage done by poorly-written and ill-conceived laws. They'll have an active interest in their communities because they and their families live there. They can be part of their community when they are paid enough to live in that community rather than the one 45 minutes away.
View Quote

That might work anywhere but inner cities
There are also downsides to having officers living in the same community they police and subject to small town politics that an outsider can resist
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the pay.   Cops around here can make 50k,  starting.   That's  good money for only a high school education and a little bit of training.   Not to mention getting to spend most of your day sitting on your ass in a heated/air conditioned cruiser doing nothing in particular.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
huh?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A police officer, fire fighter or other valuable civil assets are necessary. In this day and age to be an LEO is definetly difficult, however sorely needed. To those above reproach officers I salute you.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/gbcop9c1/Mobile%20Uploads/978BE76A-55BF-4CA5-AE7D-2C3034818762_zpsx6zay0tq.png
huh?  

Ironic is ironic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I GET IT NOW!!!!    I've been wondering what a "Hammermill thread" was....
View Quote
Me too, I just got it

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

OP is retarded. Why can't you realize no one likes you?
View Quote
15er, you don't get to say that, there has to be someone who likes him, they keep posting in his threads

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

OP is retarded. Why can't you realize no one likes you?
View Quote
The COC is for everyone 15er

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think being a small town cop would be an alright gig.

No way in hell I would ever want to be a cop in a place where the same people that would expect me to risk my life for them would celebrate if I got killed on duty.
View Quote
I bounced at a local go-go bar, most nights all alone, it sucks not having back up

I combated this by always having a strong tie to reg patrons , it saved my ass/life on more than  one occasion  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
5 pages in a hammermill thread? Why?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
personal attacks
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top