Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:40:18 AM EDT

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/weird-news/fk-you-pay-me-parents-6154785

Consumers in Asia are being sold clothing with offensive phrases on them - but they have no idea because they don't speak English

Parents are snapping up clothing for their kids covered in inappropriate language - because they don't understand what it says.

The clothing, shown here with sayings like, "$ex for money" and "too drunk to f***", are being worn by children as young as eight in Asia because they can't read the English.

More at link!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Kind of like those protesters carrying the "bomb us now' banners.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You just know some Western dipshit has a tattoo of Chinese/Japanese characters that is the parallel of these T-shirts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I was in Japan for 3 weeks back in 2012 and some girl of maybe 13 years was wearing a shirt that said "Buck Naked"

They love the English language, their radio was full of English songs being done by Japanese people.

I heard a Van Halen song done by a Japanese band..... god......
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been told that Asian people seem to like the work FUCK in English because of the 2 angular letter surrounding the two curvy letters.  Granted, this is all hearsay so I dunno could be bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You just know some Western dipshit has a tattoo of Chinese/Japanese characters that is the parallel of these T-shirts.
View Quote

I always assume every one of them is like that.  Worse tats ever.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just googled.  Can't hotlink. http://kotaku.com/why-you-shouldnt-get-chinese-script-tattoos-if-you-ca-1037896584

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Made in China or Singapore or Vietnam or Mexico?

Kind of like white people getting tattoos in Chinese characters not knowing that someone just "put a spell" on them..
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or it is a restaurant menu item list
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]
And how is that any worse than westerners getting tattoos in Kanji and script that they don't really know what it says?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And how is that any worse than westerners getting tattoos in Kanji and script that they don't really know what it says?
View Quote

Most people don't bother to read, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower back tats like that say "this end up".   All of them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am convinced that the majority of tattoos of Chinese characters don't say what the artist and client think they say. If I ever learn to speak and read Chinese, the ability to read nape tats aloud to their bearers will be my motivation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just googled.  Can't hotlink. http://kotaku.com/why-you-shouldnt-get-chinese-script-tattoos-if-you-ca-1037896584

Hotlinked and worth it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You just know some  ALMOST EVERY Western dipshit has a tattoo of Chinese/Japanese characters that is the parallel of these T-shirts.
View Quote
FIFY.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#17]
When I was in Japan, I remember seeing sports/team style shirts that said complete gibberish, but in western letters.

They didn't know or care what they said as long as it looked American.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Great for those weekly "Friday what you Drinking" threads.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#19]
We do the same thing:

MAYBE that is what it really says.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Wear earbuds at work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]
This nothing new.  In the 80's when I was in junior high we had a lady come in to talk to our social studies class about living in Taiwan.  She commented that t-shirts with english words were very popular with kids.  She said some of the shirts made no sense or were profane.  However she said it was pretty funny to see a 10 year old kid walking down the street with a shirt that said "Numbnuts" and a squirrel on it.  She said the rumor was a group of American college students studying in Taiwan silk screened these shirts and somehow got major retailers to sell them there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#22]
This has gotta be BS
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was in Japan for 3 weeks back in 2012 and some girl of maybe 13 years was wearing a shirt that said "Buck Naked"

They love the English language, their radio was full of English songs being done by Japanese people.

I heard a Van Halen song done by a Japanese band..... god......
View Quote

With the Japanese there's a good chance it's intentional.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This has gotta be BS

View Quote

Long-time visitors to Engrish.com know that it is 110% true.

ETA - Perfect example, t-shirt from Japan:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#25]
That's OK, the same thing happens with white guys. To wit:

The Hebrew reads "matzah," as in this stuff:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#26]
China:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Kyoto, Japan:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm guessing they must feel the same with Americans wearing their language shirts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#29]

I like that one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Great for those weekly "Friday what you Drinking" threads.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm267/dvd31565/Mobile%20Uploads/silly.png

View All Quotes

DK fan obviously.

Kid will be emporer one day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUEkOVdUjHc

Wear earbuds at work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years ago a a car magazine did an article making fun of different 'car guy' stereotypes. The description for the 'import/tuner' guy included "Rear widow has Japanese writing which says 'Osaka residents are reminded that garbage collection is on Tuesdays and Thursdays' "

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This! and the fact that the non-english speaker can just take off the shirt, not so much in the case of the tattoo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
China:

View Quote

I want that shirt to wear around the office.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#35]
One of my favorite memories from law school was a very very quiet visiting grad student from Japan who came to classes every day in a suit.  After a month or so, he finally comes to his first Friday afternoon beer fest in a t shirt with a picture of a motorcycle on the front and a back that read "I wouldn't shit you man, you're my favorite turd" - and he had no idea what it meant because he, the perfect older son, had taken it from his rebellious younger brother's stuff before he left and never bothered to read the text.  For such an uptight guy it was a perfect shattering moment to get him to realize he could let loose for a few hours.  By the end of the night he had let loose maybe a bit too much - transformed into The Donger from 16 Candles - but he had never really relaxed before and was hammered, shouting stuff in Japanese, and hitting on every girl in sight.  I got to know him pretty well over that semester - quite a few courses in common, and he told me that stealing his brother's shirt was the luckiest thing he ever did.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  Had to expect this to happen, after years and years of idiots over here getting all kinds of Asian shit on clothes and tats that they don't really understand.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This has gotta be BS
View Quote

Lived in Tokyo for 3 years. It's VERY real.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top