Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:59 PM EDT
I need to invest in an external HD or three to move some video that is hogging up my MBP's drive.

What am I to look for and avoid in as far as externals are concerned?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
On a slightly smaller scale, I bought one of these enclosures to upgrade from USB2.  Runs great on Thunderbolt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
2tb internal drives are the sweet spot right now.

for externals the WD mybooks are pretty inexpensive. 4tb for under 130 bucks.
you can't get that much storage in a single drive that cheap right now.
usb 3.0.
http://www.amazon.com/Book-USB-Hard-Drive-Backup/dp/B00E3RH61W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438111990&sr=8-1&keywords=my+book+wd
the nas is good for online storage, but I found I can leave the mybook plugged in and shared for direct access too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
be careful buying a cheap external drive enclosure, most don't have any fans and will cook the drive
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I won't rank em as best but earlier this year newegg had samsung 5tb external drives for 140 or so to the door, depends on if you had to pay tax and what not.  I think there were a few different sales.

Tiger has similar sales.

If you need something that can handle gaming speed access you want to research because the western digital will do it, the samsung has a drive that won't keep up apparently.  I think the samsung uses seagate drives maybe?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I need to invest in an external HD or three to move some video that is hogging up my MBP's drive.

View Quote

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009174-REG/wd_wdbhml0040hal_nesn_4tb_book_studio_dt.html

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009174-REG/wd_wdbhml0040hal_nesn_4tb_book_studio_dt.html

Sold. Thanks.

I've had a credit with B&H for a while now. Only paid six bucks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I have a two drive synology. These are great. I was able to integrate it into my home AD domain as well as numerous other advanced features.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top