BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, what part of their hunt was illegal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it poached?
Can you clearly define what that word means and what actions performed by the hunters would classify this hunt as "poaching"?

Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of wild animals.

From what I've read, and there is a post on it in this thread, the area where the lion was killed did not have a lion kill quota.  So even though baiting the lion out of a park onto private land is legal in that area, you still have to be on private land that is granted a lion kill quota.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

why do people keep making this comparison?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We Cry Over the Death of Cecil the Lion, But Shrug Off Planned Parenthood?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/07/29/we_cry_over_the_death_of_cecil_the_lion_but_shrug_off_planned_parenthood

Because none of the news channels are covering the Planned Parenthood debacle (except Fox) but every major news channel is covering Cecil.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Cecil died a slow, painful death which can be told by his grimaced, clenched eyes.  I hope the doctor experiences the same.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
animal rights extremists  and anti-hunting people are insane
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know a fair number of people who have taken a lion. Not my cup of tea for sure, but whatever. My only question is - why a bow? I get the sport, but that part seemed unnecessary. The last guy I know to take one used a 375 h&h.
View Quote

A guy I know got a polar bear with a bow a couple years ago. Hes up in the Yukon now trying to bow hunt big horn sheep and wolverine. I don't even want to know how much his polar bear hunt set him back. I'm guessing something along the line of mid 30k though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We Cry Over the Death of Cecil the Lion, But Shrug Off Planned Parenthood?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/07/29/we_cry_over_the_death_of_cecil_the_lion_but_shrug_off_planned_parenthood

Because.

Liberals are trying to bury that story about Planed Parenthood that our tax dollars pay for.
Animal rights activist like the PETA-philes are pro abortion and are against our right to hunt wild animals. They see what happens to wild animals as a sin, but abortions as a sacrifice to Gaia.
This dentist who is a known liar and poacher is definitely not helping gun owners and hunters. He does deserve jail, but all of us are being held responsible for his actions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They certainly are.  How about anti-poaching people, are they insane too?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also the seem to be posting here.

As they show their colors, remember their quotes and names.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cecil died a slow, painful death which can be told by his grimaced, clenched eyes.  I hope the doctor experiences the same.  

View Quote

With that username I hope you are being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From what I've read, and there is a post on it in this thread, the area where the lion was killed did not have a lion kill quota.  So even though baiting the lion out of a park onto private land is legal in that area, you still have to be on private land that is granted a lion kill quota.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then arrest them for that shit.

The outrage isn't that they killed THAT lion, or A lion, it's that they did it on the wrong spot of land.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol a screen name and post.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to seek help.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]

But he's a progressive?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
http://blog.nj.com/njv_bob_braun/2007/09/hes_on_the_prowl_in_africa_as.html

In his "The Man-Eaters of Eden: Life and Death in Kruger National Park," Frump slips in a throw-away line about one of the heroes of his tale, a guide named Neville Edwards who came upon the half-eaten corpse of a lion's human victim.

The incident occurred while Edwards was taking French business executives on a safari game drive -- "two very senior corporate VIPs out to admire their fellow carnivores," Frump writes.

That mildly sardonic lens is perfect for what Frump wants to say about the habits of man-eaters. His story isn't just about lions attacking people in the huge game reserve in eastern South Africa -- or, in his second book, in Tanzania. It's about how the poorest on the Earth always manage to end up as someone's, or something's, prey.

Frump estimates as many as 13,000 men, women and children have been attacked and killed by lions in and around South Africa's Kruger National Park in the last 50 years, eclipsing all known records of lion attacks on people.

He concedes the number is based on estimates built on assumptions rather than hard evidence, but he cites local experts as agreeing with the order of magnitude.

"There are not a lot of good records," says Frump.

Here's why: The victims are mostly Mozambican and Zimbabwean refugees crossing the border illegally through Kruger at night to get to jobs in more prosperous South Africa. "Goin' to Jonni," the immigrants call it -- going to Johannesburg.

At night, Kruger's lions -- harmlessly posing for tourists' cameras during the day -- are "switched on," Frump says. Ready to hunt. Ready to eat. And, says the writer, a two-legged animal is just as good a source of protein as a wildebeest.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I've built rifles and bought ammo specifically for shooting furry things. . . . hell I've bought many components off the EE here, but shooting a lion or a rhino is something totally different IMHO

I have my suspicions that this guy knew exactly what was going on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://blog.nj.com/njv_bob_braun/2007/09/hes_on_the_prowl_in_africa_as.html

In his "The Man-Eaters of Eden: Life and Death in Kruger National Park," Frump slips in a throw-away line about one of the heroes of his tale, a guide named Neville Edwards who came upon the half-eaten corpse of a lion's human victim.

The incident occurred while Edwards was taking French business executives on a safari game drive -- "two very senior corporate VIPs out to admire their fellow carnivores," Frump writes.

That mildly sardonic lens is perfect for what Frump wants to say about the habits of man-eaters. His story isn't just about lions attacking people in the huge game reserve in eastern South Africa -- or, in his second book, in Tanzania. It's about how the poorest on the Earth always manage to end up as someone's, or something's, prey.

Frump estimates as many as 13,000 men, women and children have been attacked and killed by lions in and around South Africa's Kruger National Park in the last 50 years, eclipsing all known records of lion attacks on people.

He concedes the number is based on estimates built on assumptions rather than hard evidence, but he cites local experts as agreeing with the order of magnitude.

"There are not a lot of good records," says Frump.

Here's why: The victims are mostly Mozambican and Zimbabwean refugees crossing the border illegally through Kruger at night to get to jobs in more prosperous South Africa. "Goin' to Jonni," the immigrants call it -- going to Johannesburg.

At night, Kruger's lions -- harmlessly posing for tourists' cameras during the day -- are "switched on," Frump says. Ready to hunt. Ready to eat. And, says the writer, a two-legged animal is just as good a source of protein as a wildebeest.
View Quote

13,000 sounds pretty darn high, sooo roughly 250+ people a year?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Do the abortion fanatics ever go away?  Why are you complaining about X when BABIES ARE GETTING RIPPED APART AND THEIR PARTS HARVESTED TO BE SOLD ON THE MARKET?

GD is cancer far too often.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Another indiscriminate killing by a white man.  Young Cecil was just beginning to turn his life around.  Lion Lives Matter.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The dentists life is over as far as him practicing medicine goes .
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Mia Farrow, is that you?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he has that type of money to be throwing down for a hunt, I bet he's doing just fine financially.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#22]
With a criminal history related to hunting, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy gets extradited to Zimbabwe.  

Did he have firearms?  Felony conviction makes him unable to buy firearms in the USA.  

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/cecil-lion-killer-walter-james-palmer-has-bear-related-felony-n400226

He donated $5,000 to the Romney campaign in 2012.  The Obama adminstration ain't gonna like that.  

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/249615-cecil-the-lion-killer-donated-to-romney
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
no matter how shitty it is it takes some balls to bow hunt a lion.
View Quote

Not really...not when you've got a guide standing close to you with a rifle. Not really ballsy at all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mia Farrow, is that you?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mia Farrow, is that you?  

You think you're a man?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You think you're a man?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mia Farrow, is that you?  

You think you're a man?

Do you think you are a man when you "snipe" hogs?  (Not that I have a problem with hog hunting but you are quite the hypocrite).

Or is that just your troll name?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You think you're a man?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mia Farrow, is that you?  

You think you're a man?

How would you feel if some peta idiot wanted to whine about you killing feral hogs in Texas?

I do it every year, and don't have any issues with it.   Other people have equated it to murder.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Extradite him to Zimbabwe - White House petition is now over 100,000+.  

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/extradite-minnesotan-walter-james-palmer-face-justice-zimbabwe

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Killing animals for fun is evil.  Fuck that dentist.   I hope that his teeth fall out.    

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Yea i hope he does get extradited to zimbabwe and gets
ass raped every night  by some big black guys .
I meen i just don't get trophy hunting  at all i think you've got
to be gone in the head  to want to do it .
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You need to seek help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to seek help.

Odds are VERY good that the hogs he shoots are quick, clean kills. I have personally killed many-- in the pen-- in the 50's-60's,, for family food. We never stuck an arrow in them, let them suffer for 40 hours, then finish off with a rifle
The ''Good Doctor'' was not feeding his family, he was feeding his childish ego.  What an asshole!  I agree [ after several days of looking at this situation ] that hang him high.....Tie an antelope [???] behind a truck and drag it off the preservation for this asswipe to shoot Cecil,,, what a bunch of criminals.......
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trophy hunting makes you gone in the head but hoping someone gets ass raped every night by "some big black guys" is perfectly sane and rational?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Trophy hunting makes you gone in the head but hoping someone gets ass raped every night by "some big black guys" is perfectly sane and rational?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

to be fair,  that is common to hear on this board

people wish prison rape on quite a few people who might be heading to jail, by your yardstick most of GD is insane and irrational.

Ok, you may have a point.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Odds are VERY good that the hogs he shoots are quick, clean kills. I have personally killed many-- in the pen-- in the 50's-60's,, for family food. We never stuck an arrow in them, let them suffer for 40 hours, then finish off with a rifle
The ''Good Doctor'' was not feeding his family, he was feeding his childish ego.  What an asshole!  I agree [ after several days of looking at this situation ] that hang him high.....Tie an antelope [???] behind a truck and drag it off the preservation for this asswipe to shoot Cecil,,, what a bunch of criminals.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to seek help.

Wait, so baiting and killing one animal is different from baiting and killing another?

What the fuck?

Hog shooting is sport disguised as 'critter control'.  Personally, I couldn't give less a fuck either way, but getting your butthole sore over one and not the other is the very definition of hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not a trophy hunting fan.  Nor do I like cats however, especially enormous ones...  If they lured it and killed it illegally, then suffer.

On the flip side, this majestic, gorgeous, magnificent animal that he shot would eat your face off as you screamed for mercy...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I am struck by the irony over the furor caused by the poaching death of a lion named Cecil outside a national park in the country formerly called Rhodesia.

And that Cecil's death came at the hands of a well-intentioned but dumber-than-a-bag-of-hammers American, well, that makes the irony even harder not to comment upon.

You see, Cecil Rhodes, PC founded Rhodesia by conquest and subjugation of the native subspecies of Homo Sapiens that are indigenous to the area. He was in effect, the apex predator, much like the African lion is an apex predator. Rhodes also wasn't hesitant about killing lions, leopards, and other African game, including his fellow Homo Sapiens.

After Mr. Rhodes pulled off the rather amazing trick of conquering a large chunk of east Africa, without permission of anyone, Rhodesia became a jewel in the crown of the British Empire. In addition to mineral wealth, it was the breadbasket of Africa, with a most productive agricultural sector, and a solid eco-tourism (before that was an idea) trade bringing in outside people, press, and (most important of all) foriegn currency.

Then, in the 1950s and 1960s along came the anti-Imperialists who laid waste to the mighty empire of the nation represented by a rampant lion, that is, The British Empire.

After a decade and a half of communist-back terrorism, Rhodesia, as a free and independent state, was killed off because it was too far off the anti-imperialist reservation in wanting to keep an integrated, prosperous population with a representative government elected by all of the citizens.  One person some consider most responsible for this was President James Earl ("Jimmy") Carter, the second worst President of the United States (having lost that title to President Barrack Obama, a man of Kenyan ancestry, sired by an ardent anti-imperialist father who hated the British Empire, and who is President at the time of Cecil the Lion's demise).

The stable, effective Rhodesian government was replaced by a gang of thugs led by Robert Mugabe, leader of an gang of terrorists who, in their desire to become personally wealthy, killed the proverbial golden goose that was Rhodesia, leaving nothing but a broken, dying shell of a country, unable to feed itself, and possessing a currency that has no value, even as toilet paper.

So, the lingering death Cecil the Lion suffered following being pierced by an arrow of outrageous fortune (IMO USD $55,000 to shoot one arrow is an arrow of outrageous fortune), we see the perfect allegory to the rise and fall of Rhodesia.

Sorry, my Cecil's (African lion and Lion of Africa) the world has no use for you any more, save as a target to be killed by douchebags only interested in personal aggrandizement and wealth.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Some of you guys sound crazier than a turd fight at the monkey house.

Hard to say whether this guy was in on it with the guide or not, sounds like the guide is shady and is in deep shit over this.

I keep seeing people post that lions are endangered, well they aren't, and that just hurts your argument.  They get culled just like elephants do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I know right? You couldn't make this shit up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's fascinating that he had a felony conviction for lying to game & wildlife officials.  Then he spent $50,000 on another questionable hunting trip.  

He's gonna be broke.  His legal costs haven't even started.  

I don't know what an foreign extradition attorney charges, but I'm sure they aren't cheap.  

He could be tried in the USA for bribing wildlife guides.  And extradited to Zimbabwe - I'm sure they have lovely prisons.  

I hope his tax returns are in order.  If he's been doing something stupid, like paying for hunting trips out of his business, he could go to prison for tax evasion.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope the dentist gets run over by a car.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I have two buddies in Zimbabwe right now on week two of a four week safari. When I heard of the lion shot, I was hoping it wasn't one of them. When I heard it was a archery shot I knew they were cool. They are going old school, with double rifles.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh yea he better have his i dotted and his t,s crossed the irs will be all
over him and his business
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it poached?

Can you clearly define what that word means and what actions performed by the hunters would classify this hunt as "poaching"

Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of wild animals.

The lion also had a GPS collar which was removed and discarded after they butchered him up.  This lion was off limits, and the removing of the collar and discarding it was illegal in Zimbabwe.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, I don't like saying anything the beekeeper agrees with.   Makes me feel vaguely dirty.   Like I'm in a surreal pornographic dreamscape.

You can't be wrong all the time.  Even though you seem to put forth a valiant effort.  
Lol  

Not like the good old days, huh, Aimless? I miss the old ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The lion also had a GPS collar which was removed and discarded
after they butchered him up.  This lion was off limits, and the removing
of the collar and discarding it was illegal in Zimbabwe.  

View Quote
NPR reported that they attempted to smash/destroy the GPS unit, but it continued to function after they smashed it.  The authorities tracked down GPS radio and found Cecil's discarded remains.  

At best, these guys knew they'd made a mistake, and then attempted to conceal it.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#46]
So so it possible to be both against Planned Parenthood AND think killing this lion was fucked up?

Or are they mutually exclusive?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it poached?
Can you clearly define what that word means and what actions performed by the hunters would classify this hunt as "poaching"?

Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of wild animals.

Lets not forget the lion had a tracking collar on, that they (including the dentist) tried to disarm.

Generally, now this just may be me, but hunting an animal with a tracking collar might, now just might be, a dickhead move.

But that's just me and it's none of my business.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Killing animals for fun is evil.  Fuck that dentist.   I hope that his teeth fall out.    

Anti-dentites.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Killing people is good.  Only killing animals is bad.  Talk about screwed up thinking.  Can you really call that "thinking?"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
African lions are endangered. Shooting them for ANY reason is wrong, in my book, because their numbers are so low compared to what they used to be.

Shooting this lion, who went on to suffer for over 40 hours before they found him and killed him for good, for sport, and illegally, makes my blood absolutely boil. That evil heartless fucker should suffer the same fate as Cecil.

What happened to Cecil is really goddamned sad. What a fucked up world we live in.

It is a fucked up world.  Some people are claiming a stupid lion has the same rights as people.  Walk out through a pride of lions and see if they let you live.

Killing people is good.  Only killing animals is bad.  Talk about screwed up thinking.  Can you really call that "thinking?"  

Wow.

The Masi tribesmen have been been killing lions for sport for thousands of years. In modern Africa the only way the locals won't poison and snare every predator is if there is a real value on a few of the predators.

Hunters pay big bucks for a few lions and the rest get to live because the locals see a value to putting up with lions.

That being said this particular hunt seems to be problematic and if laws were broken then let the courts sort it out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oh yea he better have his i dotted and his t,s crossed the irs will be all
over him and his business
View Quote

Had you ever heard of Cecil before yesterday?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top