Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:57:23 AM EDT
Update on this archived thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1629131__ARCHIVED_THREAD____No_knock_warrant_wins_again__flashbang_burns_toddler.html&page=1

Lessons from the drug raid that burned a Georgia toddler

Last week, federal prosecutors announced that former Georgia deputy Nikki Autry would be indicted on charges of making false statements to a judge in order to obtain a warrant to raid a home in Habersham County. During that raid, one deputy blindly deployed a flash grenade that landed in a playpen, critically injuring a toddler.

In May 2014, Nikki Autry and a team of special agents and informants from the local Narcotics Criminal Investigation and Suppression Team were “attempting undercover narcotics buys.” Autry presented an affidavit to a magistrate judge falsely swearing that a “true and reliable informant” had bought a small amount of methamphetamine at a residence.

Based on the erroneous information she presented, which also included claims of “heavy traffic in and out of the residence,” the judge issued Autry a “no knock” search warrant.

The federal indictment concludes the raid should not have happened.

“Without her false statements, there was no probable cause to search the premises for drugs or to make the arrests,” acting U.S. Attorney John Horn said in a release.

“In this case,” he said, “the consequences of the unlawful search were tragic.”

According to the indictment, Autry is charged with four counts of civil rights violations for “willfully depriving the occupants of the residence of their right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.”

Autry is also charged with depriving the man suspected of selling drugs, Wanis Thonetheva, of “his right to be free from arrest without probable cause.”

The sheriff said that the Special Response Team, SRT, did the best they could with the information they were given.

A confidential informant was sent to the residence on Tuesday to make a buy for methamphetamine, Terrell said. At the time of the purchase, there were two Mercedes SUVs parked in the driveway, with a guard standing at the front door and the back door. The informant did not enter the home and made the alleged purchase in the doorway, the sheriff said.

“It was really uncomfortable, and really intimidating. The informant made the purchase and left the residence,” Terrell said. “He didn’t see anything to indicate that there was a child in the house.”

After the buy, the SRT came back with a no-knock warrant to arrest the suspected dealer.

According to federal prosecutors, none of these things were true. There either was no informant or Autry lied about what the informant said. There was no guard. There was no drug buy in the doorway. The GBI also denied at the time that it had approved the raid. The agency began investigating the case in June of last year but doesn’t appear to have issued a report.

There’s one more lesson to be learned here. Terrell isn’t the only official who cleared these officers. District Attorney Brian Rickman did too, as did a grand jury. So did the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. How is it that the sheriff, the DA, a grand jury and the state police all looked into this, and none of them found what the feds found — that this entire raid was based on a series of lies?

As I’ve pointed out before, it isn’t the first time this has happened in Georgia. In fact, it isn’t the first time it has happened with this particular drug task force. Back in 2009, the same task force that conducted this investigation shot and killed Rev. Jonathan Ayers after confronting him at a convenience store. Ayers was unarmed and innocent. He became a suspect after investigators saw him talking to a local prostitute they were investigating for dealing drugs. In fact, Ayers was ministering to the woman. The task force as a whole and the officers who shot Ayers were cleared of any wrongdoing. They were cleared by Terrell and another sheriff who oversees them. They were cleared by DA Rickman. They were cleared by a grand jury. And they were cleared by the GBI. Rickman told one local newspaper that investigators went “to extraordinary lengths” to get to the bottom of what happened and that “I do not see how anybody could say the process was unfair based on the lengths that they went to.”

And yet this happened:

Ayers left behind a wife, Abigail, who at the time of his death was pregnant with her first child. She filed a lawsuit and hired her own investigator to look into the shooting. What he found is astonishing. As it turns out, Officer Billy Shane Harrison, the cop who shot Ayers, hadn’t taken the series of firearms training classes required for his certification as a police officer. It gets worse. It turns out that Harrison also had received zero training in the use of lethal force.

He wasn’t authorized to make arrests or to carry a gun. Yet somehow he had been given a position on a narcotics task force, a position that not only gave him a gun but put him in volatile, high-stakes situations where he might be tempted to use it. Abigail Ayers’s lawsuit also alleged that Harrison and Officer Chance Oxner, who initially bought the drugs from the woman Ayers was counseling, had a history of disciplinary problems, including use of illicit drugs.

So within six years, we’ve had two-high profile incidents involving this task force, one that critically injured a baby and one that resulted in the death of an innocent pastor. In both cases, the officers were cleared by the local police agency, the local DA, a grand jury and the state police. And in both cases, outside investigators later turned up information not only damning but also devastating, and that should have been obvious to anyone investigating these cases with any interest in getting at the truth, rather than merely exonerating the police officers involved. These cases are worth keeping in mind when we hear about police investigations that clear other cops of wrongdoing, in Georgia and elsewhere.
View Quote

I've pasted a lot, but there's more.  It's worth a read.

ETA: Press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Georgia http://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr/former-habersham-county-deputy-sheriff-charged-her-role-flash-bang-grenade-incident

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this the same one where they burned the shit out of the baby on a bogus warrant and then refused to pay the 6 figure medical bills that the family incurred?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this the same one where they burned the shit out of the baby on a bogus warrant and then refused to pay the 6 figure medical bills that the family incurred?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
War on drugs wins again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the one. I am pretty sure these are the same guys that shot the Pastor in the gas station parking lot
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Lazy police work.  Gives everyone else a bad name.

She would have had to know that once they make the arrest, they would have to prove that there were buys from there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is the one. I am pretty sure these are the same guys that shot the Pastor in the gas station parking lot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, same guys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

She would have had to know that once they make the arrest, they would have to prove that there were buys from there.

View Quote
Then why don't the good cops police their own and weed the pieces of shit out?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, same 'Task-Force' with Sheirff Chuckles at the helm.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because burning a child's face off while executing an illegal raid based on pure lies is fucking hilarious.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice job policing yourselves, assholes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#12]
GBI doesn't pull punches.  If they investigated it, I would like to read the report before saying they didn't do a good job.  They have no issue locking up cops and have done it numerous times.

It's hard to believe GBI would totally skip something as basic as speaking to the CI.  

Something isn't right.  

The part below that about the previous shooting is inaccurate.  The guy was caught getting a BJ from a hooker and ran.  He wasn't trying to win her to Christianity.  The officer hadn't requalled with his pistol and was due for release n-service...not a huge deal like he is making it out to be.  Happens all the time and people still work.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
ETA NVM, not getting involved in this shit storm.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume you are being funny?

I don't think you understand how this self-investigation thing works.

Can't wait for the TBL to get here and tell us all how thorough and tough they are on themselves, lol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can't wait for the TBL to get here and tell us all how thorough and tough they are on themselves, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: Missed it by that much.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
GBI doesn't pull punches.  If they investigated it, I would like to read the report before saying they didn't do a good job.  They have no issue locking up cops and have done it numerous times.

It's hard to believe GBI would totally skip something as basic as speaking to the CI.  

Something isn't right.  

The part below that about the previous shooting is inaccurate.  The guy was caught getting a BJ from a hooker and ran.  He wasn't trying to win her to Christianity.  The officer hadn't requalled with his pistol and was due for release n-service...not a huge deal like he is making it out to be.  Happens all the time and people still work.  

View Quote

There's video of the shooting in the gas station.

You see a BJ going on in that video?  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most street cops have no control over who does the job and who is in the department. That responsibility is on the command staff.

I had one experience where a new guy turned out to be dishonest and a liar. I told my Lt. that I refused to work with him. An investigation opened up over his issues that week and he was fired. I can't open up an investigation the command staff does that.

Did I have some influence? I would like to think so but it really came down to what they could prove and not my feelings on the person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most street cops have no control over who does the job and who is in the department. That responsibility is on the command staff.

I had one experience where a new guy turned out to be dishonest and a liar. I told my Lt. that I refused to work with him. An investigation opened up over his issues that week and he was fired. I can't open up an investigation the command staff does that.

Did I have some influence? I would like to think so but it really came down to what they could prove and not my feelings on the person.

Good on you!  Many would not do that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Christ, I'd be out for blood.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Good article.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#21]
OP is a wallotext, synopsis?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
She is guilty, looks like a tranny.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Can anyone say "Rubber-stamp"!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

He saw whatever fits the narrative.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip for retardedness

I only see his retarded posts when someone quotes him.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

View Quote

That is incorrect, check for yourself. In fact the Paster's wife won several million bucks from a wrongful death suite. The police tried to play the Preacher was dirty angle and it didn't fly; apparently the Pastor was very active in this kind of role. Even if the pastor was getting his knob polished, the officer that fired the final shot wasn't state certified or qualified to carry a weapon.

Not to mention eyewitness at the gas station where this went down didn't collaborate the officer's testimony as identifing themselves as cops. Un-marked, pimped out SUV dressed as thugs. How would you react in that situation?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I will say it again....

Rule #1 - you don't throw explosives into people's homes..... Unbelievable it is tolerated or allowed.

And for those doubting these are explosives Google the pic of that child before you try to convince me otherwise.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Obviously the kid is guilty of forcing that poor, helpless deputy to swear out that search warrant. The article also omits the testimony of the other officers who said that the kid might have vomited his carrot mush on them, so they were forced to throw a hand grenade in his crib.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did the new guy's actions constitute a crime? If so, go swear out a warrant. No Lt. or boss needed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

View Quote

Let's just say for the sake of the following question that you're right about the preacher's behavior.

Which of the following justifies the use of deadly force:

1. Getting a BJ from a hooker.

2. Running from the cops.

???
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

You realize there was an investigation and they talked to the hooker.

The good rev was banging a hooker with regularity and got caught.  It all came out in the investigation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

The problem is that they shouldn't have been able to make the arrest without proving that first.

The only ones that get a bad name from this deserve it for allowing shit like this to happen.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Let's just say for the sake of the following question that you're right about the preacher's behavior.

???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

???

Trying to run over a cop is lethal force.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Little fucker made a furtive move.  WTF were they supposed to do but frag his ass?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lazy sheriff, district attorney, and state bureau of investigation as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

If that's the one where a bunch of thugs in plain clothes jumped out of an unmarked truck waving guns around, running them over was justified at the time, based on the information available to the driver and his training and experience.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

???

Now I remember--this is the one where an unmarked brodozer rolls up on the guy at the gas station and extremely aggressive, armed men who are not wearing uniforms hop out and start aiming weapons at the victim.

Ironic that the guy was trying to escape being murdered and his murderers ended up getting off because their victim tried to escape them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that what's going on here?

Georgia deputy Nikki Autry would be indicted on charges of making false statements
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Good, but what of the civil suit?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Georgia deputy Nikki Autry would be indicted on charges of making false statements

I believe all the good local police and DA found nothing wrong with her or the others actions.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Know a cop that knows some of those clowns. Some of them washed out of other big departments.  When this happened, I went to the "sellers" FB page.  He stated he was balling in one pic, but only showed about 5 or 6 $20 bills.  These drug cops around here will do some shady stuff to get a warrant.  

One of the MANS cops is now a chief at a city, he is a crooked cop and should be doing time.  He's a thief.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I believe all the good local police and DA found nothing wrong with her or the others actions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying they investigated themselves?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The good rev was banging a hooker with regularity and got caught.  It all came out in the investigation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

I understand he also often wore a necktie with a short-sleeved shirt and no jacket.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn't. The Feds had to step in with their own investigation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GBI is fed?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

View Quote

Prove he was getting a BJ  or shut your pie hole.  In fact show any evidence at all he was doing anything criminal at all or shut Your trap.   The officer in question was not a legal peace officer, did not have arrest powers, and was not legally carrying a gun.  As usual when there is an epic police fuckup yhey immediately shift the blame to the victim.  The impersonating officer is lucky he didn't get some real leaky holes in his face and neck for his actions.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I understand he also often wore a necktie with a short-sleeved shirt and no jacket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  

Good shoot, fucker probably wore white athletic socks too. Again, there was no direct evidence of impropriety with the hooker and the various witnesses that day didn't hear the 'cops' clearly identify themselves. Again, I ask anyone on this board to put themselves in a not so great area (white trash,) have thugish guys pointing guns out of pimped out Escalade and instantly know this was the Police raid.

Look, I give LEO's the benefit of the doubt but my advice is not try to defend these shitbags. Locally, some were known looser/dirty cops; I compared them to Vic Mackey's 'Strike Team' from the Shield.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So you're saying they investigated themselves?
View Quote

And found they did nothing wrong. Big surprise.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top