Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:34:54 AM EDT
http://recode.net/2015/07/27/google-starts-divorcing-google/

Google has already been splitting Google+ from its Google Photos app. Now it is no longer requiring YouTube commenters to use Google+ before they sign on.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone even use Google+?

I tried to understand it and got nowhere.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I've tried, for business purposes, but my employer blocks as a social networking type deal. Some business don't have much for a web presence but I get Google hits on their Google+ crap but I can't view it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do

Fewer fuck stains than Facebook
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know one person that does. He works at google.

Quoted:

You know that you can choose who to connect with on Facebook, right?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Good. That was a fucktarded idea and it pisses me off that I apparently have a Google+ account that I've never logged into and yet somehow integrates into all my other shit. Fuck you, Google.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but that defeats the purpose of social media
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
It was their failed attempt to take on Facebook, it not only failed but was hated by most users.  It rolled out as a mandated link for certain google features, but they have been slowly removing its integration.

It's slated for the chopping block as you can guess.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good. That was a fucktarded idea and it pisses me off that I apparently have a Google+ account that I've never logged into and yet somehow integrates into all my other shit. Fuck you, Google.
View Quote

You can delete your Google+ account without deleting your gmail/youtube/etc account.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
sadly,  google+ is superior to facebook in almost every way,  but people aren't used to it, and it never got much adoption. the value of a social network is having your actual friends on it.  So it's a sad thing.

We're watching a modern day VHS vs Betamax battle, and the superior technology is losing.

They made a strategic move very early which damaged them.  Google photos would integrate with your phone,  and ANY Photo you took went into a shared folder which *Appeared* to be shared,  but wasn't. Some of the photos were shared, some weren't.

so my wife texts me a picture, well technically she sexts me a picture of her butt, and it shows up on the google+ photostream on her laptop.  Freaked her out bad.  

I work in the industry and it even took me several minutes to sort out what was public shared vs not.  

I think a lot of people got scared off by that, and the almost complete takeover of other Google properties by Google+ and it killed adoption. Which sucks, cause it's a lot easier to use than facebook.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see how.  You're apparently avoiding one ecosystem (Facebook) in order to escape the opinions of people you don't agree with.  How is that any different than just culling those people from your Facebook experience to begin with?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I use google+ just to host images. I used to use picasa.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto here, but how the hell does one get links that will show up here?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't see how.  You're apparently avoiding one ecosystem (Facebook) in order to escape the opinions of people you don't agree with.  How is that any different than just culling those people from your Facebook experience to begin with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a difference between people i don't agree with and complete window lickers who i never want to interact with
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is a difference between people i don't agree with and complete window lickers who i never want to interact with
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can't avoid those people on Facebook because...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On my phone i just click the image and hold till "copy" shows up and click on that, then you have the link. On my Mac it's a 2 finger click (right click).
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Snip
View Quote

Because they start harassing you on other places because you either unfriended them, or never followed them to begin with

Why is it difficult to grasp that the social media site with less people has less idiots?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because they start harassing you on other places because you either unfriended them, or never followed them to begin with

Why is it difficult to grasp that the social media site with less people has less idiots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

Because you're not forced to be around idiots on the social media site which has more people.  I'm sorry that you're getting harassed in the real world over stupid internet crap, but does this mean that if those people went to Google+ you'd have to stop using it too?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because you're not forced to be around idiots on the social media site which has more people.  I'm sorry that you're getting harassed in the real world over stupid internet crap, but does this mean that if those people went to Google+ you'd have to stop using it too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

If you unfollow someone on google +, they aren't notified

Can you ignore people on Facebook? I can't remember

only one person i know personally is also on g+.

There are people in life that i want to avoid, but cant due to work/life, so why not go to where the grass is greener?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can delete your Google+ account without deleting your gmail/youtube/etc account.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem was that I never made a Google+ account in the first place. Never logged into it. Never saw it... and yet I apparently have "circles" and shit posted there, so I'm told. I'll go delete it someday.

It was also shitty of them to attempt to un-anonymize the youtube comments by forcing people into it. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The problem was that I never made a Google+ account in the first place. Never logged into it. Never saw it... and yet I apparently have "circles" and shit posted there, so I'm told. I'll go delete it someday.

It was also shitty of them to attempt to un-anonymize the youtube comments by forcing people into it. Fuck them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

those were their two fatal flaws: assuming people wanted stuff posted, and trying to force more openness. Facebook requires real credentials to sign in, or did,  and people were used to it. Google assumed they'd be OK with google doing the same thing, but it turns out a lot of what people use google for, is the anonymity.  

Which is ironic cause I am half convinced google either is, or is so deeply integrated with NSA, that they are effectively an extension of it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are people in life that i want to avoid, but cant due to work/life, so why not go to where the grass is greener?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

Unfollow them. You remain friends with them but you don't see anything they post.

Unfriending them does not notify them on Facebook, but they can find out if they go to your profile and see "Add Friend" which would not be there if you were already friends, thus suggesting that you deleted them.

You can also block them, which unfriends them and removes your name from any searches. To them, it looks as if your account was nuked.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unfollow them. You remain friends with them but you don't see anything they post.

Unfriending them does not notify them on Facebook, but they can find out if they go to your profile and see "Add Friend" which would not be there if you were already friends, thus suggesting that you deleted them.

You can also block them, which unfriends them and removes your name from any searches. To them, it looks as if your account was nuked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

Hmm

I didn't know you could do that stuff

Oh well, im already on enough SM sites
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh... say what?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't even notice if it was gone tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Uhh... say what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh... say what?

tl;dr, less assholes on g+, i didn't understand how Facebook works
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

tl;dr, less assholes on g+
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh... say what?

How does controlling who you connect with defeat the purpose of social media?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh... say what?

whats the point of joining a large community if you are just going to turn it into an echo chamber?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

whats the point of joining a large community if you are just going to turn it into an echo chamber?
View Quote

Welcome to GD. I will be your guide.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if serious...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious...

Serious.

I went to Facebook and google+ for different (and similar) opinions

GD? not so much
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, in your mind "controlling who you connect with" equates to "creating an echo chamber?"

Fascinating.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Google+ was a huge failure
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mostly because they tried to FORCE everybody to use it.  That alone created disdain, so people didn't even bother setting anything up.

If they'd have implemented it smoothly, and made it an opt-in only service, it would have succeeded.   Instead, they wanted to have the membership and activity of Facebook, so they figured they'd pull an Apple and just make everybody do it their way.    

Whoever made that decision should no longer work at Google.  It was very "un-Google" of them to do a stunt like that.  They normally can generate enough interest that people line up, like with gmail.    I know they tried that in the beginning with Google+.   They should have just promoted it harder.  When they weren't getting the user numbers they desired, some IDIOT decided to co-opt every YouTube and gmail account into Google+, it was project suicide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly because they tried to FORCE everybody to use it.  That alone created disdain, so people didn't even bother setting anything up.

If they'd have implemented it smoothly, and made it an opt-in only service, it would have succeeded.   Instead, they wanted to have the membership and activity of Facebook, so they figured they'd pull an Apple and just make everybody do it their way.    

Whoever made that decision should no longer work at Google.  It was very "un-Google" of them to do a stunt like that.  They normally can generate enough interest that people line up, like with gmail.    I know they tried that in the beginning with Google+.   They should have just promoted it harder.  When they weren't getting the user numbers they desired, some IDIOT decided to co-opt every YouTube and gmail account into Google+, it was project suicide.

I'm one of those people.

I resented being forced to create a G+ profile to get to my YouTube account, so I refused to use it out of spite afterward. My G+ user profile looks like this:
Gear Jammer351 - male 99 years old.
FU google; I  just want to listen to the playlist I made on YouTube.

I've never used it other than to get to my YT account. I never added any friends or posted anything.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I finally switched back to Picasa because I couldn't figure out how to link to the images once Google+ hosed everything up.  Was it just me?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per the article, this decision is being made after Vic Gundotra left Google.  So maybe he's to blame.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This exactly.  I just stopped using everything that demanded my google+ login.

They're search engine is almost useless now.  It made them famous then they screwed everything up.  Fuck Google.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I finally switched back to Picasa because I couldn't figure out how to link to the images once Google+ hosed everything up.  Was it just me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It lets you do that?  I thought they were redirecting all Picasa requests to G+
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just gonna say that if that's how you see it, you and I have very different views of what social media is for. I use it to keep in touch with friends and family. I have added a couple of virtual friends to that circle (such as a couple of Arfcommers), but it is not my purpose or goal to connect with random strangers or people who are gonna post shit that irritates me. I don't want my social media to irritate me.

I'm  FB friends with one rabid lefty Obama lover: my former boss. I still work in the same field, and she has given me several glowing recommendations when I've used her for a reference, so I don't want to alienate her. I've just set my page not to show things she posts. We are still 'friends', but I don't have to see regular negative posts about republicans/gun owners.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#43]
+1

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#44]
good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to remove the s from https in the link.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#46]
There was a member on here IIRC had the ATF visit him about something ( I think it was a pistol he sold on the EE ended up in Canada)  and they had reams and reams of info from his google+ account
seemed like fully integrated it would be a treasure trove for identity theft

I know the same thing can happen with facebook/yahoo/paypal/ebay/whatever but at least  its not quite the one stop shopping google+ was

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but I couldn't even begin to tell you how I did it now.  I don't even remember now why I created a Google+ account unless it might have been so that I could upload to YouTube.  As soon as I did, it migrated all of my Picasa photos to G+ which would have been fine with me, but I was using Picasa to host pictures so that I could link to them for eBay auctions and forum posts.  In the new G+ format I was never able to find a way to get links to the photos, so I think I googled (there's some irony for you...) how to switch back.  I think it was a Cnet article I found that told how, and I've been using the old Picasa ever since.  I did end up creating a different G+ profile so that I could still use YouTube without fooking up my Picasa photos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top