Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/28/2015 9:13:49 AM EDT
Never ever piss off a judge.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/28/mississippi-school-district-fined-7500-for-opening-assembly-with-prayer/

Allowing a school assembly honoring high-achievers to open with a prayer made one Mississippi school district $7,500 poorer - and a student who sued $2,500 richer.

The Rankin, Miss., public school district was hit with the fine after U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves said it defied his prior order barring prayers school events. According to the judge, the prayer violated a 2013 court settlement that ordered the district to stop "proselytizing Christianity." The alleged violation, which came at an assembly last year for students who scored above 22 on their ACT college admissions test, prompted the judge to apply fines for that and another incident, in which Gideons International was permitted to hand out Bibles to elementary school students.

"The district's breach did not take very long and it occurred in a very bold way," Reeves wrote in his judgment. "Its conduct displays that the district did not make any effort to adhere to the agreed judgment."

Reeves also ordered the district to pay the student's legal fees, an amount that will be determined at a later date, and threatened a $10,000 fine for any future infractions of the order.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It's all fun and games until someone throws down a prayer rug....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it that hard to just not pray?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Students can sue their own school now?  Man this society is so litigious.

Can't wait to see that schools enrollment papers next year with arbitration and anti-lawsuit statements in it somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it that hard not to participate?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
22 is a "high achiever"?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
One of these days a lot of people and angles of the devil himself will be happy when we are at the point in time people in southern France were telling Rick Burgess a couple of weeks ago, "Church, all the churches here are museums. I remember my grandparents talking about going to church but now days no one has the thought of church things." To those who don't know Rick, he is half of the Rick and Bubba show broadcast on tv and radio nation wide. I feel so sad for my grans and the country they will grow up in. THE ONLY HOPE IS GOD WILL PREVAIL AT THE END
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I am confident this thread will be full of reasoned discourse on both sides of the argument. It will cover much new ground and many minds will be changed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
22 is a "high achiever"?

View Quote

What was your ACT score?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
22 is a "high achiever"?

View Quote

Well...it is Mississippi.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#11]
And some rich Christian will just come up with $10k and pay it to
Keep the prayer in every year.

Better yet they will just establish a go fundme to pay for it.

I would donate just so we can tell the judge to fuck off
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#12]
How much has the House of Representatives been fined for opening with a prayer since like 1789?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And some rich Christian will just come up with $10k and pay it toKeep the prayer in every year.

View Quote

I guess they'll  have to get more creative like firing people.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Rankin County is chock full of derp.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
22 is a "high achiever"?

View Quote

embarrassing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Never ever piss off a judge.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/28/mississippi-school-district-fined-7500-for-opening-assembly-with-prayer/

Allowing a school assembly honoring high-achievers to open with a prayer made one Mississippi school district $7,500 poorer - and a student who sued $2,500 richer.

The Rankin, Miss., public school district was hit with the fine after U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves said it defied his prior order barring prayers school events. According to the judge, the prayer violated a 2013 court settlement that ordered the district to stop "proselytizing Christianity." The alleged violation, which came at an assembly last year for students who scored above 22 on their ACT college admissions test, prompted the judge to apply fines for that and another incident, in which Gideons International was permitted to hand out Bibles to elementary school students.

"The district's breach did not take very long and it occurred in a very bold way," Reeves wrote in his judgment. "Its conduct displays that the district did not make any effort to adhere to the agreed judgment."

Reeves also ordered the district to pay the student's legal fees, an amount that will be determined at a later date, and threatened a $10,000 fine for any future infractions of the order.
View Quote
Fuck the judge and the little bitch student

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How much has the House of Representatives been fined for opening with a prayer since like 1789?
View Quote
This

We are a mostly Christian Nation

Not a Muslim nation, not a gay or tranny nation(not yet)

Just look at what the current anti Christian government has got us.

Maybe they can start firing teachers because the believe in God and have

Confederate flags.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]
violating settlement agreements usually have consequences....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Judges can be impeached.  Too bad Conservatives are not better organized.  

Liberals are much better organized.  That is how we end up with nonsense like this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Rankin Co = Jackson East

Obamas kids and trailer trash, not shocked.  There's a lot of the "Black Muslims" around here, and their numbers seem to be growing.  They stand on the corner on Friday and Saturday and hand out Farrakahn pamphlets.  Wonder if it was one of them?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this gentleman. I am not a believer but I will never be offended by someone who is no matter what the circumstances happen to be. I see their right to pray as equal to my right not to. Special snowflake syndrome is a sign of insanity and should be treated as such. I was in school when prayer was outlawed. The whole damn Country has been on a down hill run since then.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a school, you go there to receive an education. Churches or homes are for praying.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's a school, you go there to receive an education. Churches or homes are for praying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you going to sue if I pray at a school with a group of willing participants?  

If you don't want to pray, dont.  If you feel like that entitles you to a payday... wow, you're a special snowflake.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you don't want to pray, dont.  If you feel like that entitles you to a payday... wow, you're a special snowflake.
View Quote

I agree, and I think a lot of people are failing to read the entire first amendment.

I'm not religious, and it doesn't bother me to sit quietly through a group prayer. I've done it many times.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you going to sue if I pray at a school with a group of willing participants?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the students required to attend the assembly?
If they are it has no place in a public school.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Be a shame if that kid received purple nurples every day until he's expelled.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one is forcing you to pray.  This isn't fucking China.  If you don't want to, don't.  Sit quietly for the 20 seconds it takes and let's hope it doesn't traumatize you for life.

ETA:  I didnt want to sit through all the Black History Assembly bullshit when I was in school, does that mean I should sue to get my time back?  Come the fuck on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The free exercise of religion in the constitution does not mean that we have to leave our Christianity inside the confines of the church building or our homes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#29]
But what if the prayer was a jewish prayer? Or a muslim prayer?

Keep religion out of schools
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No one is forcing you to pray.  This isn't fucking China.  If you don't want to, don't.  Sit quietly for the 20 seconds it takes and let's hope it doesn't traumatize you for life.
View Quote

Why the fuck should I sit quietly?
Is it just Christianity? That's bullshit.
Kids go to school to learn anyway not to pray.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

ETA:  I didnt want to sit through all the Black History Assembly bullshit when I was in school, does that mean I should sue to get my time back?  Come the fuck on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is it I don't think GD would feel the same way if someone opened a school assembly with a prayer to Allah and Muhammad?  Then it would be all pitchforks and butthurt instead of "just sit thru it"

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The free exercise of religion in the constitution does not mean that we have to leave our Christianity inside the confines of the church building or our homes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.
So its safe to assume that this school is supporting other religions in this assembly?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've sat through such plenty of times.  I didn't explode.  My hair didn't catch on fire and no one died.  Out of politeness, which I think is becoming a foreign concept in American culture, I sat through the prayers prayed by people of other religions even if I thought their prayers were to a god that doesn't exist.  Does no harm to me, and there's no downside to exercising some common decency towards others.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The judge doesn't see it that way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've sat through such plenty of times.  I didn't explode.  My hair didn't catch on fire and no one died.  Out of politeness, which I think is becoming a foreign concept in American culture, I sat through the prayers prayed by people of other religions even if I thought their prayers were to a god that doesn't exist.  Does no harm to me, and there's no downside to exercising some common decency towards others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sat through such in a public school?

But good on you for not being a prick to people of other religions
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#36]
My kids school opens all events with the pledge of allegiance and a small prayer.

Public school....

In the heart of Georgia.

Dems a liberals can fuck off....

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This  

Confederate flags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  

Confederate flags.

I am sure the left and .fed are working on that right now.

Get ready.  There will be an army of posters in this thread that will rant and rave just like a 2 year old to tell you how this is not a Christian nation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#38]
"There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death." Proverbs 14:12

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why - do their prayers hurt you more?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Of course.
So its safe to assume that this school is supporting other religions in this assembly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.

Let's reference the article.

The Article said:

The assembly at Brandon High School in May 2014 began with a prayer led by local Methodist pastor Rev. Rob Gill. Although not mandatory, the assembly honored the district's students who scored higher than a 22 on their ACT college tests

I think the phrase in bold is kind of important.  It was not a mandatory assembly.

The anti-religionists claim that all they want is for the schools to not make Christian prayers a sort of requirement or part of a required activity.  That would be well and good if that's all they really wanted, but it's increasingly clear to me that anti-religionists will not be happy until every public mention of anything religious is stamped out.

I'm going to guess that I'm not the only one who has noticed this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I don't care at all who people pray to or what they pray about.
But I'm sure if they led a muslim prayer in school. People would not be saying "just sit there and not participate"
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The judge is a fucking moron who should be disbarred and publicly shamed.  And whoever taught him constitutional law in law school should also be disbarred and publicly shamed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Than repeal the laws that make it mandatory for a child to attend. Better yet disband "free public" school systems and allow the market to decide.

At least then parents have a choice and can use thier money to decide where to send their children.

That way no one will be forced to attend any school that may hurt thier feelings.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why is it I don't think GD would feel the same way if someone opened a school assembly with a prayer to Allah and Muhammad?  Then it would be all pitchforks and butthurt instead of "just sit thru it"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's a Muslim school, you chose to be there.

What folks fail to realize is Christians make up the majority of religious people in this country, and the country was founded by Christian men, not Muslim or anything else, they said so themselves.  Especially in this area(story is local to me), even the blacks and Latinos are Christians here and have their own churches.  Don't bring your retarded ass to the "Bible Belt" then get offended and sue when a group prays.  No one forced this special snowflake to participate, if you are that offended, just walk out.  This reeks of that liberal pussy who called the cops and was "shaking violently" at the sight of a flea market vendor selling Confed and Nazi memorabilia.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was not a mandatory assembly.  How about that.  IIRC, the prayer was offered by some kind of Universalist type who more or less believed in everything.

Not being a prick is a minimal level of behavior I expect from everyone who is not brain damaged.  It is fucking ridiculous that the idea that I sat through such without being a prick is especially polite.  I consider that to be part of the minimum standard of social decency.  My dumbass cat could achieve that level of decency.  It doesn't say much about our society when normal behavior becomes noteworthy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that hard to save your religion until it's on your own time or among fellow believers?

We can play retard table tennis all day - school is for education, church is for religion. Why must Christians demand your time is devoted to their beliefs? I don't do that, I don't expect a portion of school to be devoted to dismantling the Christian belief system.

Use the appropriate venue, and everyone can get along.

It's mutual respect.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But I'm sure if they led a muslim prayer in school. People would not be saying "just sit there and not participate"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh so you are making an assumption to prove others are not as tolerant as you.  Ok, carry on then.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh so you are making an assumption to prove others are not as tolerant as you.  Ok, carry on then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh it's not an assumption.
When people say fuck islam and fuck muslims. That shows all of us that they hate islam and muslims.
How many times have you seen "religion of piece" posted?

It is just funny to me that people say it's ok to pray in school and it happens to be a christain prayer.
If everyone would be fine with a muslim prayer as well, then I am 100% wrong and I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And some rich Christian will just come up with $10k and pay it toKeep the prayer in every year.

View Quote

Just waht I was thinking..... I'm in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Stupids gonna stupid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top