Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
looked like nasty wind--check out the trees at the beginning---its gotta come down one way or the other.  I would say he nailed it for what he had to work with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#2]
A general rule of thumb is that if you weren't there and nothing is bent and no one is injured then you STFU with your critiques.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to know the line number, see if I put the wings on that one or not
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

this help?   the video has this reg in the title.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If I knew it was going to land safely, I'd go for that ride

Otherwise, that would seriously cause my butt hole to pucker up tight
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How about leavin' hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBr3enzW1I
View Quote

NOPE NOPE NOPE
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How about leavin' hot.

View Quote

Did that pilot confuse V1 with V2?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
He should have caught the wire
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
AMS can have some very shitty weather for flying.  That landing was crazy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Landed dead sideways before in a much smaller plane

It happens.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#13]
El Paso makes that look like amature hour. I have been on more than one aborted landing in a 737 there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Down is easy.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, go around...

He may have already.    No telling how much fuel the guy has.  

Gotta come down eventually.

Down is easy.  
And we have to remember that the airlines have never left one up there

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/ph-BVB.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/ph-BVB.jpg

I started doing the join on 1007 so that wasn't me, but anything from then on more than likely I ran the join that day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

75mph  wind or cross wind?
Hard to believe they could not pick a different runway to drop that 75mph crosswind a little.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the KLM had a 75 mph cross wind, what is the limit for a passenger plane?

Fuck that, I would have been puking.

Hard to believe they could not pick a different runway to drop that 75mph crosswind a little.

When I saw it on the news they said 75 mph crosswind. But the news does get shit wrong.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't understand all the people, complimenting his skill. He shouldn't have been in that position. And I have my commercial, Multi, instrument, and sea ratings, not a cub pilot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, go around...

I don't understand all the people, complimenting his skill. He shouldn't have been in that position. And I have my commercial, Multi, instrument, and sea ratings, not a cub pilot

What would you have done different, considering there may not be a runway where your crosswind is now a headwind? In looking at the airport layout, you would have had a crosswind.

And, being a pilot, you know that winds change. Especially during a summer storm.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:55:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Why you can't  just put a fighter pilot at the controls of a heavy, no one teaches them to line up with the runway first.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks similar to a Saturday night pulling into my driveway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#21]
<oops replied to wrong thread, N/M>
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Another hotdog that just needs to go around.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Google reveals the demonstrated crosswind component for <most> 777s is 40kts!  Damn.  Higher than I would have guessed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]
My first wife was tarded.....she's a pilot now.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I forgot what I voted for in the poll.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#26]
It was the worst summer storm since 1901 so needless to say it caused some problems with airtravel.

Dont know anything about piloting but as far as the reports go it was difficult but generally withing the safety margins

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's like every landing in Denver.
View Quote

Or below 500' in the summer on 12R in San Antonio.

People don't realize how much wind it takes to make a 600,000 lb. plane move around like that.

Great job by the pilot. Oh, and thanks to Boeing for building an airplane you can still "fly". Hate to see what an Airbus was like that day.

TC
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, go around...

Um, that wasn't horrible. His pitch really didn't change, he was just getting rolled around. There wasn't that much of a crosswind. Just gusty. It looked bad at the end because he (or she) dipped the right wing right before touchdown but it wasn't as much as it looked in the still video.

Airline pilots have to go in a lot of conditions others would choose not to fly in.

TC

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't land in a 75 kt. crosswind. The 75 kt figure is probably the max wind. My airline has a max wind of 50 kts. and the airplanes are generally limited to 30 kt crosswinds (max DEMONSTRATED by the test pilots). So, any wind over 50 kts closes the airport for our purposes.  KLM may not have that limitation.  When you have that kind of wind, you get so much mechanical turbulence (caused by hi wind stirred up by ground objects) that it's more than dicey.

But, if you have to land, you declare an emergency and do what you have to do.  Not saying this was an emergency but it's there if you need it.

TC
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
Any landing where you can use the aircraft again is an excellent landing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#32]

That airline  pilot needs to be sent to Pensacola to begin his career with the USN.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://johnnycat.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/f-14-tomcat-49.jpg

That airline  pilot needs to be sent to Pensacola to begin his career with the USN.
View Quote

Looks like he snagged the ace too.  Too much Hornet DLC.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I know that wind would rarely knock a 777 out of the sky. It may never happen.  I know that airplanes land successfully in way worse weather.

I have jumped out of airplanes multiple times. It's not my favorite thrill but its in the 7/10 category for scary

I've been on all sorts of helicopters and all sorts of airplanes.

I don't have a fear of heights nor am i claustrophobic.

Bad Turbulence and shaking in airplanes still gets my heart rate up and makes me nervous as hell every single time. That would have scared the fuck out of me. Hell i freaked out when landing in atlanta and saw another airplane seemingly heading towards the same runway. we couldnt have been more than 500 meters from it. Heart almost exploded. If i was on an airplane that was doing this in the rain, i would probably have an anxiety attack.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

People don't realize how much wind it takes to make a 600,000 lb. plane move around like that.

Great job by the pilot. Oh, and thanks to Boeing for building an airplane you can still "fly". Hate to see what an Airbus was like that day.

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's like every landing in Denver.

TC
Yea I am pretty sure that an Airbus can't land in those conditions and was more than likely sent to another airport....

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How about leavin' hot.

View Quote

That plane was not going fast enough to take off...

... it just kind of floated on up there
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Had it much worse.  Near ground contact, several aborts and then finally on the last attempt he got it to stick with near wing contact.

I would have bet money that day the wing was going to strike, I may or may not have required new underwear along with everyone else.  All I could think about is how bad I didn't want to die on some Mexican runway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#39]
When I watched that(private pilot) this was my reaction:

That crosswind really screwed him up man, I didn't think he was gonna make it back.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
El Paso makes that look like amature hour. I have been on more than one aborted landing in a 737 there.
View Quote

During the summer here landings can be pretty bad.  I too have been in planes that had to go around several times.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You can't land in a 75 kt. crosswind. The 75 kt figure is probably the max wind. My airline has a max wind of 50 kts. and the airplanes are generally limited to 30 kt crosswinds (max DEMONSTRATED by the test pilots). So, any wind over 50 kts closes the airport for our purposes.  KLM may not have that limitation.  When you have that kind of wind, you get so much mechanical turbulence (caused by hi wind stirred up by ground objects) that it's more than dicey.

But, if you have to land, you declare an emergency and do what you have to do.  Not saying this was an emergency but it's there if you need it.

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

thats what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Looked fun to me
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Heard a good exchange the other day during a storm

ATC: Could you give me a PIREP (pilot report) on the wind shear

Pilot: Uh negative on that PIREP, the cockpit was shaking too much for us to read the numbers

This was after two go arounds.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Lots of landings like that in Albuquerque. I have been on several planes that do that after coming over the mountains.  I was once on a plane where I could see the runway out of the right window because we were coming in so sideways. Pilot straightened out right before touch down. Not a pleasant landing. I hate landing in Albuquerque.  Its always really windy at the airport.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Um, that wasn't horrible. His pitch really didn't change, he was just getting rolled around. There wasn't that much of a crosswind. Just gusty. It looked bad at the end because he (or she) dipped the right wing right before touchdown but it wasn't as much as it looked in the still video.

Airline pilots have to go in a lot of conditions others would choose not to fly in.

TC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, go around...

TC

As stated before, this may not have been the first approach.  Everyone walked away, the plane was not damaged......good landing, hell might have been the best landing possible given the conditions.  But what do I know, I wasn't sitting left seat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those numbers might be a little exaggerated! Anything more than 25 or 30kt direct crosswind and you start getting into the "are you fucking crazy" category!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#48]
A few years ago I was on the company shuttle, a Dornier 328.  We were trying to beat an approaching T'storm as we were flying to a local field vs. a regular commercial airport.   Back then the pilots could still leave the cockpit door open, and as a front row passenger, I could see right out.  

A little buffeting and cross wind on the approach, but not bad.  The pilot did a pretty decent job keeping the nose in line with the runway but there were several gusts that deflected us several degrees off of the center line.  The wings stayed more or less level in the approach and yaw was taken care of with rudder.

We get the call for minimums and as he starts to flare a pretty good gust comes from left to right and we had the EXACT same left to right role that 777 did.  Right main gear touched down and he put a bunch of yoke into it to get the left main on the ground.   It was enough to get my heart pounding pretty good seeing what the actual horizon looked like and how much control input it took to keep that right wingtip off the ground.

After we arrived at the hanger, the co-pilot welcomed us home and opened the door.  The pilot got up and turned and looked at us and was white as a sheet and let out a huge sigh, and said "That was interesting."
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As stated before, this may not have been the first approach.  Everyone walked away, the plane was not damaged......good landing, hell might have been the best landing possible given the conditions.  But what do I know, I wasn't sitting left seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, go around...

TC

Exactly.  Lots of failed landings happen in "Severe Clear" conditions.   SFO comes to mind a few years ago when that 777 landed short....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Damn.    Did ATC tell him to expedite his departure from the sky?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfft... nothing, check this 737 that had no flaps and had to land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nio38kxye-I

Damn.    Did ATC tell him to expedite his departure from the sky?

Holy fucking ground effect.  He timed the trust and nose up just perfectly to keep from being pile driven into the deck.  Yikes.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top