User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
First generation boxsters are under $10k now
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
When did Arfcom turn into a bunch of tofu fartin, Miata drivin fairy's?

How bout a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 Twin turbo? Or slightly older GT / Cobra Mustang? or a 93+ Nissan 300ZX twin turbo? Pontiac GTO with an LS motor? 95+ SS/Z28 Camaro?

If your going to look at a little foofoo fart machine car at least look at a WRX, EVO, Audi TT maybe even a GSX Eclipse?

Mazda Miata... the basturd midget tranny of the car world. gimmie a got damn break.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
just get a mustang GT and be done with all this. 10k will get you a good one if you shop around. Look at the 2009 and newer models... tons of them out there and sky is the limit on options to make it your own.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S2000
View Quote

My limited understanding of the S2000 is that it was a limited production car.  That could make it hard to find one that isn't junk for 10k.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My limited understanding of the S2000 is that it was a limited production car.  That could make it hard to find one that isn't junk for 10k.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

S2000

It is and was the reason I went with the NC Miata. While it is a better performing car then the Miata it is not a good value. You'd get a little better performance with double the miles for about 50% more price. The only S2000's I saw in the price range of the Miata I got were very worn out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually since he said "sporty" a Mustang GT might not be a bad option either for the under $10k range. I enjoyed my '08 Bullitt a lot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The answer is always Miata, in case nobody's mentioned it yet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you are a bigger guy (height wise...no idea about weight)

Consider mid size (ie: corvette, firebird, Camaro, mustang etc)

I have an extremely modified 3g Eclipse GTS, pushes a little over 300 hp and as my son says..."I have shoes bigger than your car dad!"

I am 6"2 and 250 lbs, In an accident, they will most likely have to bury me in the car. Even slightly injured it would be a real problem getting out of the car.

I can't imagine a Miata being any better and most likely worse, only positive is with a convertible you would have an easier in out with the top down.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How bout a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 Twin turbo? Or slightly older GT / Cobra Mustang? or a 93+ Nissan 300ZX twin turbo? Pontiac GTO with an LS motor? 95+ SS/Z28 Camaro?

If your going to look at a little foofoo fart machine car at least look at a WRX, EVO, Audi TT maybe even a GSX Eclipse?

Mazda Miata... the basturd midget tranny of the car world. gimmie a got damn break.
View Quote

The 3k GT is not a sports car, it's a heavy, fragile turd that sort of tried to compete with the Supra, and the Nissan GT-R, poorly I might add. The GTO, 4th Gen F-body, and the Mustang aren't sports cars, and the 300ZX turbo cars haven't aged all that well, and are a nightmare to work on. A sub 10k one is probably a basket case.

The fact that you even mentioned the 3k gt, or an Audi makes me question your knowledge of cars outright.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The 3k GT is not a sports car, it's a heavy, fragile turd that sort of tried to compete with the Supra, and the Nissan GT-R, poorly I might add. The GTO, 4th Gen F-body, and the Mustang aren't sports cars, and the 300ZX turbo cars haven't aged all that well, and are a nightmare to work on. A sub 10k one is probably a basket case.

The fact that you even mentioned the 3k gt, or an Audi makes me question your knowledge of cars outright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

x2.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Miata, Vette, 350z.

I don't think I would want a sub $10k M3, WRX sti, EVO or Boxster. Unless you like wrenching and buying expensive parts as much as you like driving.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Some people don't tie self-image of their masculinity to the car they drive.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are you driving then?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
550 HP LS3.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

550 HP LS3.
View Quote

You just drive the motor? What car was it removed from?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
550 HP LS3.

use your imagination.. or not.. just google. lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
x2.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2.  

Yep. What are you insecure and compensating for by putting down other's life choices?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep. What are you insecure and compensating for by putting down other's life choices?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2.  

by all means, go ahead and get a Miata.. enjoy your complimentary rectal tube.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

550 HP LS3.

Is it a 1982 Volvo Sedan?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good luck finding an E46 M3 that's not beaten up or worn down for $10,000 or less (at least in my area).  You can, however, find an E36 M3 in good condition for well under $10,000.  For someone who's never driven a fast/fun car, the difference will be negligible, and in my (limited) experience, fixing/maintaining the E36 is cheaper.

OP, the Miata and C5 Corvette suggestions are good, though price range might be an issue on the Corvette.  Consider also the Honda S2000: "Miata, but more!"  A BMW M3 of any vintage should not disappoint, and the older ones will seat five if seating for two is an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good luck finding an E46 M3 that's not beaten up or worn down for $10,000 or less (at least in my area).  You can, however, find an E36 M3 in good condition for well under $10,000.  For someone who's never driven a fast/fun car, the difference will be negligible, and in my (limited) experience, fixing/maintaining the E36 is cheaper.

OP, the Miata and C5 Corvette suggestions are good, though price range might be an issue on the Corvette.  Consider also the Honda S2000: "Miata, but more!"  A BMW M3 of any vintage should not disappoint, and the older ones will seat five if seating for two is an issue.

I agree 100% with the E36 M3, they are easy to find in that price range.
The E46s are also a great buy and $10k is close to ZHP territory.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
x2.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2.  

x87
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2.  

What do you drive? The VR4 is a giant turd that handles like a dump truck and does sort of OK off the line until it pukes it's transfer case out on the street.

Put a decent driver in a Miata and they will smoke a VR4 in the twisties.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What do you drive? The VR4 is a giant turd that handles like a dump truck and does sort of OK off the line until it pukes it's transfer case out on the street.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HE DRIVES AN LS3, BRO!

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Wrx, evo, m3, or any number of American muscle cars if that is your thing.
View Quote
Where are these sub 10k evos you speak of?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

HE DRIVES AN LS3, BRO!

View Quote

I gotz me a 96 crown vic. lolz
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Around 2009 ?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parked next to the sub $10K C5 vettes, GTO's, and S2000's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Some of yall are failing to understand Internet forum pricing.  If someone's cousin's roommate's retarded nephew found a car with 300,000 miles, no motor and a salvage title for $5,000, every example of that same make and model is only worth $5,000.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They actually voted it the worst car in the history of the world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2002 Lexus SC430 with about 125K miles on it.  Built like a Swiss watch, convertible hardtop and about 300HP in a small frame.

Wasn't that the car top gear UK voted the worst sporty car ever made?

They obviously never encountered a Pontiac Fiero.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Some of yall are failing to understand Internet forum pricing.  If someone's cousin's roommate's retarded nephew found a car with 300,000 miles, no motor and a salvage title for $5,000, every example of that same make and model is only worth $5,000.
View Quote

Or like the gun pricing threads where every gun should cost now what someone paid for one back in 1983.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Miata is the best choice for fun under 10k.  I have more fun in my miata than my 335i.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Sports car or "sporty" car.

Sub $10k:

EP3 civic
Mini Cooper
RSX type-s
Z28 Camaro
300ZX
Mustang GT/Mach 1
E36 M3

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2002 Lexus SC430 with about 125K miles on it.  Built like a Swiss watch, convertible hardtop and about 300HP in a small frame.

Wasn't that the car top gear UK voted the worst sporty car ever made?

Those aren't so bad once you follow the one rule of GM anything made in the past 40 years.

Yeah they're cramped, but its all GM, so its not like its particularly difficult to work on, or source parts.

As long as you get one knowing full well that any stock engine that came with them belongs in the trashcan, they're fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. Some of these replies originate in fantasy land. A sub $10k WRX or EVO? It's as if they read the OP request as "I need something completely clapped out. I enjoy wrenching more than driving, so if your suggestions could reflect this, I'd appreciate it".
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No shit. Some of these replies originate in fantasy land. A sub $10k WRX or EVO? It's as if they read the OP request as "I need something completely clapped out. I enjoy wrenching more than driving, so if your suggestions could reflect this, I'd appreciate it".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Location has a lot to do with it.

WRX and evos are a dime a dozen in the pacific northwest. I see plenty on Craigslist..
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#39]
98-02 F-body (Camaro or Firebird Formula/Trans Am) plenty of sporty plenty of fun to do
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
98-02 F-body (Camaro or Firebird Formula/Trans Am) plenty of sporty plenty of fun to do
View Quote

Easily sub 10k.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You can't get an evo anywhere close to $10K.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't get an evo anywhere close to $10K.

I just looked. I had no idea evo's were still commanding that much coin.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#42]
If you don't mind salvage title or 250k mile performance cars sure, but a $7500 WRX is gonna need a lot of work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Easily sub 10k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easily sub 10k.

Pain in the ass to work under the hood as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easily sub 10k.

I actually traded in my '95 Formula Firebird 6speed because I didn't want to change the spark plugs.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Get a 1996-1998 R129 body Mercedes SL500 Roadster

you can easily pick one up for less than $10K in really nice shape
Fantastic cars, 315 hp aluminum block V8 with 4 valves per cylinder
come with a removable hardtop and powered soft top
Super comfortable inside with full leather

easy to work on and parts are readily available
I get 24 mpg on the highway too...

it is a very fun car

if 0-60 in 6 seconds and 155mph is not fast enough look for a SL600 with the V12.......

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Miata people, what highway mileage do you get?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I think the Miata is becoming the lazy answer.

Cars are getting older by the day, there are plenty of cool cars for 10K and they will all have their pro's and con's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#48]
used mazdaspeed 3
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

~27 in my NB @75mph.

That's also ~4k rpm in 5th gear. They're a bit rev happy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

Heck, my 350Z gets that on the highway...
I average right around 20mpg overall, mostly in town driving, but I'm a bit pedal happy...
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top