Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2015 11:14:52 PM EDT
What can I expect?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What can I expect?
View Quote

Depends on how good of a dentist you have!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They numbed me pretty well,  Drilled kinda like they do when they are doing a filling, but deeper, then you feel a "pop" that's when they rip get to the nerve. After that, smooth sailing, They just fill it back in, and eventually you get a crown.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to an endodontist? Root canals are a piece of cake. You'll be numb, you won't feel a thing. It's just like a long, drawn out filling. They use a strangely low speed drill with a very long and fine bit, and go down into your roots, clean them out, and fill them with a rubbery material called gutta percha. Sometimes they will pump antibiotic down there too if it's infected. You may go home with an antibiotic, and possibly a pain killer, but most likely they'll give you an 800mg ibuprofen on your way out.

Your dentist will finish the restoration of the tooth in about two weeks.

ETA: my endodontist told me that every tooth is different. He said it's very rare, but it does happen from time to time that they cannot adequately numb the tooth. He said those very few people who have had bad experiences have done a remarkable job of spreading the word about their bad experiences. The overwhelming majority of his patients express surprise at how painless it was.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
When they dig out the dead nerve it kinda smells bad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Just had one done. No Big Deal.  I wen't in not knowing what to expect except all the bad things i had in my mind from that word.  I didn't feel ANYTHING. and almost nothing afterwards.  I felt like such a pansy for being nervous about it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to an endodontist? Root canals are a piece of cake. It's just like a long, drawn out filling. They use a strangely low speed drill with a very long and fine bit, and go down into your roots, clean them out, and fill them with a rubbery material called gutta percha. Sometimes they will pump antibiotic down there too if it's infected. You may go home with an antibiotic, and possibly a pain killer, but most likely they'll give you an 800mg ibuprofen on your way out.

Your dentist will finish the restoration of the tooth in about two weeks.
View Quote

endodontist will cost more but if necessary I guess so
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Had three of em.  Only pain was my jaw muscles aching from my mouth being open that long.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If able just do a bridge. Root canals don't last and when they fail are damn expensive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Had three of em.  Only pain was my jaw muscles aching from my mouth being open that long.
View Quote

spot on. had one on my front tooth.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just had one done. No Big Deal.  I went in not knowing what to expect except all the bad things i had in my mind from that word.  I didn't feel ANYTHING. and almost nothing afterwards.  I felt like such a pansy for being nervous about it.
View Quote

Exactly this. I was super nervous and it was painless. They gave me some vicadin for after and I ended up throwing it away.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had a few. No big deal.

Total reconstruction with 28 crowns? That was a big deal
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Was getting a route canal done, and no matter how much they numbed I could feel it. The cavity went all the way down my roots or some shit and they just had to extract it.

I know when your numb it's not big deal, at first I thought I was being a pussy so I held out for 20 minutes while they were grinding my tooth down and I could feel everything. They finally shoved something down the hole in my tooth and I felt an insane amount of pain and yelled. Dude just said "My bad", and decided to pull instead.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine's been redone 3x. Still hurts ccassionally. Crown came off twice this year.

I've had 3 different dentists from separate offices look at it, they all say it's textbook perfect.

For all the pain, money, lost time. I would have been better off having it pulled and an implant put in.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
My Dentist always said, do everything you can to keep a natural tooth.  It makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on a lot of factors that we can't see without being there.  If you are not sure, then why don't you consult another dentist.  Personally, without anymore info, I would lean towards doing the root canal.  You can always have it pulled later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If able just do a bridge. Root canals don't last and when they fail are damn expensive.
View Quote

I beg to differ.  My first one was like 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They numbed me pretty well,  Drilled kinda like they do when they are doing a filling, but deeper, then you feel a "pop" that's when they rip get to the nerve. After that, smooth sailing, They just fill it back in, and eventually you get a crown.
View Quote

Same here.  Easy.  

The little pipe cleaner they put down the nerve hole to clean it out felt a bit weird though.  And once the abscess is exposed...it tastes fucking disgusting!  I was gagging and almost puked on the assistant
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask any dentist. They only expect them to last 5 yrs. if they last longer great. I've had one close to 10 years. One lasted 3 years had to see a microscopic endodontist. That was 3 grand out of pocket and I had insurance. It lasted about 5 years and now it's gone. No more tooth. Had another last 6 years and now has a crown.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Other than the cost they really are not that bad. My biggest problem is they don't hold up well and I end up getting them pulled after about 4 years. The cost benefit ratio is not good for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#20]
A GOOD tooth implant takes about a year and a half, give or take, and costs $5000 to $6000. It's a LOT of dental work, and then time to heal. The first step is to 'strengthen' the jaw bone with a bone transplant. Then many months to heal.

One they are done they are nice. But if not done properly, or from just bad luck, the bone the implant is rooted into can break/split/shatter into pieces. Then you are in SERIOUS trouble.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ask any dentist. They only expect them to last 5 yrs. if they last longer great. I've had one close to 10 years. One lasted 3 years had to see a microscopic endodontist. That was 3 grand out of pocket and I had insurance. It lasted about 5 years and now it's gone. No more tooth. Had another last 6 years and now has a crown.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EVERY tooth with a root canal should have a crown, ASAP after the root canal is completed. I have one root canal that's 40 years old. Several that are around 20 years old. I've never lost a tooth with a root canal in it. Perhaps you need to find a MUCH better dentist.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I just had an emergency root canal on a back molar. It seems that a hairline crack had developed in the top of the tooth, allowing bacteria to get in and attack the pulp in the roots.  The pulp was completely gone, and an abcess was developing in the bone surrounding the roots. (A course of antibiotics took care of that infection.)

The root canal therapy cost me about $1,000, and the crown is going to be another $1,500 (not covered by insurance). Pulling the tooth would obviously be a lot cheaper, but then missing that tooth would be a real handicap. An implant would be more expensive.

This is why poor people have missing teeth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When they dig out the dead nerve it kinda smells bad.
View Quote

You ain't kidding.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine's been redone 3x. Still hurts ccassionally. Crown came off twice this year.

I've had 3 different dentists from separate offices look at it, they all say it's textbook perfect.

For all the pain, money, lost time. I would have been better off having it pulled and an implant put in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It probably has a fracture.  Or possibly untreated extra canals in weird places that can't be seen.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We expect them to last a MINIMUM of five years.  I see older ones doing just find all the time.  Crowning them is standard practice, otherwise they can crack or leak.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Had a root canal done in the morning, and was back at work by noon.  No pain even after the numbing wore off.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both mine ended up as bridges. As far as what to expect: $$$$$  (mine were crowned)

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All three of my root canals got crowns right after.  If yours didn't, your dentist fucked up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys
I am getting a second opinion today. I have insurance now but when I retire I loose it. So that's why the inquiry. My ins does not cover the implant.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My Dentist always said, do everything you can to keep a natural tooth.  It makes sense.
View Quote

This is pretty much what mine says.  He's a guy who still uses the old type xrays.
It makes sense, but not always "cents".

It all depends on how bad it is, and where it is.
I did not feel any elevated pain, when he did the procedure itself.  That was the good news.
Where I did feel pain, (the worst I've ever encountered), was on the return visit, when the tooth was to be filled with that rubbery stuff, and the crown to be fit and cemented in place.
W/O any numbing med., he took out the temporary packing material, that was in the last few days, to keep anything out and prevent infection.
When he yanked that out, it was the worst ten seconds of pain I'd ever experienced.  All I could see, after the pain subsided, was both of my hands, around both of his wrists, with the overhead light in the background,
and the "We cater to cowards" sign, that's been on his ceiling for forty years.  I have no idea, how I was even able to grab both of this wrists.

If there is a next time, and I hope there isn't, as I have one filling, that was filled close to the root, I will have him numb me up before that temporary stuff is taken out, even though that procedure, only takes seconds.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What can I expect?
View Quote

PAIN !!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just had an emergency root canal on a back molar. It seems that a hairline crack had developed in the top of the tooth, allowing bacteria to get in and attack the pulp in the roots.  The pulp was completely gone, and an abcess was developing in the bone surrounding the roots. (A course of antibiotics took care of that infection.)

The root canal therapy cost me about $1,000, and the crown is going to be another $1,500 (not covered by insurance). Pulling the tooth would obviously be a lot cheaper, but then missing that tooth would be a real handicap. An implant would be more expensive.

This is why poor people have missing teeth.
View Quote

You might want to wait on getting it crowned. If that hairline crack runs down to the apex of the tooth, bacteria will eventually re populate, resulting in yet another abscess. It can take months for this to occur, and if you have it crowned, the tooth will still need to be extracted in the end, but it will have cost you an additional $1500 prior. There is no risk in waiting for several months with a temp in place, just to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:33:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's because when you pull your tooth that's the area that bacteria gets into and gets into your blood system. I've heard it can cause all kinds of problems (heart, cancer etc). In short pulling a tooth can cause bad health problems down the road. Good Docs will steer you away from pulling the tooth and try to work with it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#33]
They're not bad. I just had one done without being numbed first and it was painless. I went back to work when I left the dentist and didn't even think about it all day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Pull it.

It makes this enjoyable crackling sound and you get to keep the bits.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Needles, plastic piece that goes around your area where your having it done while the dentist performs the root canal and the suction piece his assistant helps keep your mouthe clean from debris.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#36]
The root canal isn't the problem.  

It's the SOLUTION to the problem.

- - -

I had the same issue and kept putting it off.  Then one night after "Taco Tuesday" the tooth finally cracked.

Let's just say salsa made it a 1000000x worse.

The resulting tooth ache, if you never had one, was enlightening.

Think about a constant pounding pain that felt like the tooth was ripping itself out of the socket.

AND it kept on going on.  10 PM - 730 AM.  

Nothing worked, alcohol, codeine, more alcohol.  Nothing.

Get the root canal and save yourself the anguish.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I had one done in January. The only problem was when they gave me the shots to numb the area.

It was a back lower molar. There is a large nerve that serves the tongue going along the inside of your jaw on each side. They pierced mine with the needle. Exactly one half of my tongue was numb on the affected side for six months. A very distinct line right down the center. Very strange sensation. It would cause me to gag when brushing on that side.

Totally back to normal now.... Compared to the pain of the abcess, well worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I must have had a bad Dentist years ago.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Just had one. It wasn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Just had one done yesterday. Besides the cost, it was not bad at all! And the assistant was Hawt!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's because when you pull your tooth that's the area that bacteria gets into and gets into your blood system. I've heard it can cause all kinds of problems (heart, cancer etc). In short pulling a tooth can cause bad health problems down the road. Good Docs will steer you away from pulling the tooth and try to work with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not even close.  

You get bacteria in your bloodstream even when you floss, your immune system handles it unless something is wrong with it..  A healthy person heals just fine after extractions.

When you lose a tooth, the bone around the socket tends to melt away.  You need that bone if you want to do an implant, bridge or denture.  The longer you keep a tooth the longer you maintain that bone.  Implants can help maintain the bone as well, but you want to keep that option in your back pocket as long as possible because if that fails you're left with bridges (if you still have enough teeth) or dentures (if you don't),   All other options are inferior to healthy natural teeth.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I've had one.  Despite several return visits, a low grade pain/ache continued.  As a result, I put off the crown as I didn't want to drop $1K the have to rip it all out.  The tooth cracked and fell out last week.  Currently waiting to see what oral surgeon says.  New dentist says the oral surgeon will try to tell me an implant is the way to go.  Dentist doesn't necessarily disagree but the teeth adjacent to the now missing one both have significant amalgam fillings from when I was a kid and will eventually need crowns themselves.  I'm leaning towards a bridge just for this reason.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I had 8 crowns and root canals done in 2007.  Not a single issue except for the endodontist insisting that the TV show CNN.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I did sedation dentistry that last time I went. I had to have a wisdom tooth cut out of my jaw, so I had them pull some other teeth, do root canals, et cetera whilst I was out.

You're not knocked out, but you're not there 100% either. I listened to music and didn't notice any of the cutting, pulling, or drilling that was done.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've had a few. No big deal.

Total reconstruction with 28 crowns? That was a big deal
View Quote

I would hate to see that bill.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I had one last fall. The pain was nothing. It was the back tooth on the bottom left side. The worst part for me was that my mouth got really tired from being open so long. Then there were several times that I was more less gagging on my own pooled up saliva in the back of my throat. The assistant kept saying "there is nothing back there" and I kept trying to say 'well what the hell am I gagging on then?". But the root canal itself was no big deal. It didn't help that the assistant and the endontist (sp?) had, in my opinion, very little 'bedside' manner. They weren't rude but they sure weren't nice either. I would have another one done if needed but, I just would find a different Doc.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What can I expect?
View Quote

The procedure itself, nothing
The next day.....well, enjoy yourself
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Aint but a thang.

Take a couple advil before the numb wears off and you're all set.  My dentist is happy to give nitrous if you're a nervous type.  Makes everyone's life easier but it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Turns out after going for a second opinion that all I need is a crown , There was no decay just cracked due to large filling. Got the temp crown today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Turns out after going for a second opinion that all I need is a crown , There was no decay just cracked due to large filling. Got the temp crown today.
View Quote

I had one of those once.  Then, a few months after they put the crown on, the tooth went bad and I had to get a root canal anyway AND pay for a new crown.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top