Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 10:41:57 PM EDT
I've been wanting one for hunting, primarily.  Have a decent sized lease with pretty good roads, but after I got my tundra stuck in the mud I said to heck with it I need an ATV.

Have a couple acres so I can use it to drag around my lawn rake and for general housekeeping, but really it's for hunt camp.  I won't use it that much, but I knew I wanted a Honda since I know lots of folks have them and they seem to hold up well.  Was going to get a Rancher but after walking into the dealer I figured I would get the biggest I could afford without shit I don't need like big tires, winch or a snorkel.  Seems pretty solid, I have a couple decent hills it goes up easy and hits almost 40mph  in my backyard.

I figure I might take it to the local atv riding place and hit some trails.  What do I need to know before I look like a newb and get stuck or something?  It has 4x4 and locking differential - will that get me through mud and up good sized hills and stuff?  How do I know where not to go? I  see guys at camp running over small trees and shit... I don't know about all that.  I did my research and all, but now that I have it, I don't want to wreck the damn thing my first day out.  I actually thought I would buy used and already beat up but it was a PITA dealing with idiots...so here I am with this.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You chose wisely.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Run it like an ATV. Don't baby it

Be careful if you go on pavement and be careful on inclines - just keep in mind the center of gravity. Other than that, let 'er rip

I've only rode on the older Foremans and they were solid
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks awesome, nice choice.  I have a 2006 and only non maint done has been angle sensor for the electric shift.  It's been mostly for farm duty but is a capable trail machine.  I've taken it places I shouldn't have and made it back home.  Stock tires will suck so wear them out and get something decent.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
in before someone suggests you should have got a suzuki samurai
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You chose wisely.
View Quote

Lol, that's good to know.  I didn't buy the maintenance package or any of that other shit they try to sell you.  I figure I can change the oil and what not, how hard can it be.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They had a bunch of Suzuki's they were pushing because of the 2.9 interest rate or whatever.  My wife had a Honda forever so she wasn't keen on switching brands.  Only financed a little bit anyways, not a big fan of loans.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep the oil changed and it will run forever.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Forman is a great workhorse.  Thing will last a long time and get shit done
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Forman is a great workhorse.  Thing will last a long time and get shit done
View Quote

I second this. Good choice and nice color
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is a workhorse. It is almost always has a trailer behind it pulling something.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't drop it in lakes and huge mud holes and it will last you a long time.. Don't ask me how I know this
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Only problem I ever had with mine was a battery that Honda didn't make
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I love the Foreman line.  Honda quality, ergonomics, and reliability....yet is still sporty enough to have fun on when not working it.  I've been eyeing the 2015's...but I'm trying to buy a house.  Can't do both

I had a 2002.  

Use your head when riding and you'll be just fine.  The MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER - USE BODY ENGLISH when riding!  When you are on a hill...lean uphill.  If you are doing donuts or drifting...lean to the inside and use the side of the seat.  If you come up on a log/rut/ditch/rock on the trail at speed...stand up.  Don't just sit on the seat like a fucking rock...this is why 80% of people crash these things.  They are just sitting straight up on the seat like a rock.  

And your question on mud...I've learned that with unknown trails with mud holes on them....ALWAYS test the hole with a stick first.  ATV's are not as good as you think when it comes to mud...especially with your solid axle and stock tires.  Remember, a lot of the ATV's out there are IRS, and they will clear the rut in the middle of a mud hole.  Your solid axle with act as an anchor.  Been there, done that.  
I never liked the mud too well anyways...it will always find it's way past seals and into your brakes, differentials, CV joints, and wheel bearings.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a good machine, but you might want to upgrade those tires. The stockers will suck badly in the mud. The only downside to an aggressive mud tire will be a rougher ride at very low speeds, and it tears up grass worse, if you ride it in your yard. If you are trying to "tread lightly", then leave the stockers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love the Foreman line.  Honda quality, ergonomics, and reliability....yet is still sporty enough to have fun on when not working it.  I've been eyeing the 2015's...but I'm trying to buy a house.  Can't do both

I had a 2002.  

Use your head when riding and you'll be just fine.  The MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER - USE BODY ENGLISH when riding!  When you are on a hill...lean uphill.  If you are doing donuts or drifting...lean to the inside and use the side of the seat.  If you come up on a log/rut/ditch/rock on the trail at speed...stand up.  Don't just sit on the seat like a fucking rock...this is why 80% of people crash these things.  They are just sitting straight up on the seat like a rock.  

And your question on mud...I've learned that with unknown trails with mud holes on them....ALWAYS test the hole with a stick first.  ATV's are not as good as you think when it comes to mud...especially with your solid axle and stock tires.  Remember, a lot of the ATV's out there are IRS, and they will clear the rut in the middle of a mud hole.  Your solid axle with act as an anchor.  Been there, done that.  
I never liked the mud too well anyways...it will always find it's way past seals and into your brakes, differentials, CV joints, and wheel bearings.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/ATC-Crazy/Wheelie4.jpg
View Quote

Yep. With a sport quad, at least it's easy to pick it up out of the rut. But with a solid axle ute, it's a lot tougher to get it unstuck. I would definitely add a winch on that new machine. On the bright side, the solid axle is a little "sportier" to drive, because the quad stay flatter when you are sliding the back end around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep. With a sport quad, at least it's easy to pick it up out of the rut. But with a solid axle ute, it's a lot tougher to get it unstuck. I would definitely add a winch on that new machine. On the bright side, the solid axle is a little "sportier" to drive, because the quad stay flatter when you are sliding the back end around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a 2002.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/ATC-Crazy/Wheelie4.jpg

Exactly.  I much prefer a solid axle, even though the craze for the last decade has been IRS (the Foreman Rubicon is IRS now).  IRS just feels mushy to me...can't feel what the quad is doing or how it is reacting to the terrain.  Much less stable on hills, adds more weight, higher CG, more CV joints & boots to worry about tearing, etc...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Push it till you get stuck.

Then you know it's limitations
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#18]
So wait, you bought it first and then asked if it was a good purchase for your intended use?

lol

At least you have the GD process down right ;)
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki are the ones to buy.
you did very well.

I have had them all plus Polaris, Artic Cat...etc.

Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki are in the garage right now.
they will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Honda ATV is best ATV.  Love my 420 Rancher.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They had a bunch of Suzuki's they were pushing because of the 2.9 interest rate or whatever.  My wife had a Honda forever so she wasn't keen on switching brands.  Only financed a little bit anyways, not a big fan of loans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got 0 percent on my sons Suzuki King Quad. you can't beat that kind of a deal.
Honda people are very loyal, just as I am to my Yamaha's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I have owned Honda, Yamaha, and Can Am. I had a Foreman 400 back in the day.

It's not going to be the fastest quad. It's not going to be very nimble.

It's also: Not going to break down, no belt to slip, no chain to rust. It will be a tank.

That said: GO GET A WINCH. Especially if you ride by yourself. It's invaluable and has saved my quad many times over and other people's as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#23]
USE the ATV like it was made for---hard.......nothing is more annoying than a person who buys a new ATV, uses it and gets mad because its scratched--cmon
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Foremans will take a beating.  My dad and I picked up a few used ones that were used for plowing/salting and cleaned them up.  They had around 3000 miles on them and were rode hard.  They were rusting and looked like crap underneath but they never quit after we got them.  They aren't as capable in the mud as the IRS machines with more power but they can hold their own.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]

It's a superb, dependable utility quad...you chose well. The solid rear axle is a great benefit hauling or towing, but it's going to limit you offroad, so if you intend on working more than playing, perfect. If not, a lift & better tires will help.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Ditto what others have said.. tough as nails.
Have a 2001 450es. Came new from Canada so the instruments are metric..
We haul out about 6 cord of hardwood every year with it.
Put in a couple hundred miles of trail riding.
A winch is definitely on the "want list".
If there are any Safety Courses in your area I'd highly recommend you take one..
OH YES...Stay the fuck off thin ice
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Good choice OP. That thing will go about anywhere you want to take it. I don't submerge mine like some do at the mud parks (2002 Rancher here) It hauls way above it's weight and can pull like a small truck.  I pulled my dad's F250 out of hub deep mud at our lease with it.

Keep up the maintenance on it and you'll get years of service.

Also, invest in the front boot guards and a winch. You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Woooosh

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#29]
My Dad has a 1999 Honda 300. Still runs like a champ. A 2X4 ATV will get you anywhere you need to go. Unless you live in a swamp.

I've always wanted a Foreman.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an 05 Foreman 500 2/4wd. I love it. Honda makes the best / longest lasting quads imo. Nowhere it can't go and nothing it won't do.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#31]
now go buy a winch... they are useful for a lot more than just getting unstuck...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had a 2000 or '01 (can't remember) Rancher for many years and miles.  I'm still happy, but I'd trade for a Foreman
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You chose wisely.
View Quote
+1

about as good as it gets

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I own a 2009 Foreman. Not the fastest, nor the most capable, nor the most luxurious. But if you want down right dependable, you bought the best atv out there. There are literally thousands of Honda 'wheelers in the villages of AK used as daily drivers, and the honda's regularly hit 15,000 miles or more before the owners upgrade.

You really need a winch though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#35]

'88 Foreman approves of this thread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#36]
A Foreman or Yamaha Grizzly will be my next ATV.
Top Top