BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
From Politico.

I'm strongly in favor of removing a number of highways, particularly I345 in Dallas.  The benefits to the city can hardly be overstated.

Dwight D. Eisenhower didn’t like the way America’s interstate highway system turned out. The interstates, as he saw it, were supposed to create connections between different cities, not gouge paths through the middle of them. But by the time his presidency came to an end in 1960, huge highways and overpasses had obliterated thickly settled urban areas, uprooting families and dividing neighborhoods, all paid for with federal money. Eisenhower was aghast.

Today, with the urban highways of the Eisenhower era nearing the end of their useful lives, cities and state transportation leaders face a choice: Rebuild their highway segments at great expense, or tear them down and replace them with surface streets.
View Quote
View Quote

I would rather zip through a city I was not actually going to vs. being forced to waste a couple of extra hours slogging through city traffic.

Not to mention some cities are NOT navigation friendly, nor are they necessarily places you would want to wander around lost, or even with GPS.

Take Detroit for example, I75, I96, and I94 all go through it, and if you are on them you can be through the city in a matter of minutes, 30 if the traffic is snarled, easy, no muss, no fuss, and reasonably safe as long as you keep moving, please gas up before you leave the suburbs, you do NOT want to end up on Detroit's surface streets, let me tell you why:  Detroit has no concept of a straight line, let alone a logical grid system, the streets of Detroit are a maze, no of them go in a straight line for more than a mile or two (with few notable exceptions like Gratiot) before they randomly end or veer off, you also have the lovely randomly distributed dead ends and one ways.  Now just to make it interesting most of the street signs are either missing or have been stolen for scrap, and many of the remaining ones are deliberately wrong, moved by the ghetto goblins to lure you into one way streets or into endless circles where they have ambushes set up (no, I'm not kidding, I narrowly avoided one when they tried to block me in by rolling a truck tire across the road behind me on a one way dead end street (Detroit is the only city I know that has one way dead end streets).  Now add to that random missing manhole covers (likely stolen for scrap) opening up holes in the middle of main roads, debris, rubble, and burned cars in the streets, generally bad condition roads, constant random construction, and in the winter unplowed streets.  If that wasn't enough add normal congested city traffic and bear in mind most people in Detroit can't drive for shit and treat what few road signs that remain and traffic signals as mere suggestions if they don't simply ignore them entirely.  Just to make it even more fun, the pedestrians are just as bad, not only do they have no concept of using cross walks or waiting for the lights, they don't even bother looking both ways before they randomly step out into the middle of traffic, when you lock up your brakes and swirl to avoid hitting their stupid asses they will Blair at you as if it is your fault.  Now add to all that a very high crime rate, Detroit statistically is more dangerous than Baghdad and Kabul combined, it is one of the most dangerous cities on Earth.

No, they should not get rid of the freeways.

There is another aspect of freeways as well, they act like concrete rivers, they become like natural barriers, this is the "negative" effect of dividing neighborhoods that you mentioned, but it's actually a positive, look at a crime map sometime, the freeways tend to keep the crime contained, the scumbags rarely cross the freeways, Detroit is also a great example of this, one side of the freeway can be a third world hellhole, and the other is actually pretty decent, now what do you suppose would happen if the freeway wasn't there?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
No where else to build in Miami. We have to Atlantic to the East and the Everglades to the West. Everything between that is already built. We have what we have. To demolish it means all we have is surface streets and nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The choices are rebuild the freeway or tear it down, reconnect the streets and sell the rest to developers.

Which makes more sense?
Well, after 70 years of heavily subsidized car travel I guess its a shock to see it swing the other way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what they are trying to do in Dallas.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20131027-arts.jpg.ece/BINARY/arts.jpg

It's a nice liberal plan but what will happen is delays and cost overruns will tank the project ending up with another Dallas slum. Meanwhile, enough money will siphoned off making Dallas city council members really happy, off camera.

The choices are rebuild the freeway or tear it down, reconnect the streets and sell the rest to developers.

Which makes more sense?

Quoted:

"War on Cars".

Pretty much every infrastructure project or residential/commercial development in California has pushed cars, parking and vehicular travel aside in favor of green space, bike paths and hiking trails.

Ditto with freeway improvements. There is NO single occupancy lane expansion slated, instead they are opting for HOV/Electric car/mass transit lanes that take 2X the space as regular travel lanes. In addition they are spending gigabucks on HOV only on and off ramps.

The baseball stadium in downtown San Diego has NO parking lot, the proposed replacement football stadium is same.

Well, after 70 years of heavily subsidized car travel I guess its a shock to see it swing the other way.

My car is my freedom of movement. Cars next to guns are one of the ultimate expressions of American Freedom. My car is what allows me to work in South Florida and travel back North Florida. Without that I'd be fucking stuck making shit wages and flipping burgers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Much of it will evaporate. Trips not take, telecommuting, transit. Most will bypass on a freeway or move to surface streets, where there is greater capacity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So all of the traffic normally carried on that section of freeway would have to be carried on the other freeways?

Much of it will evaporate. Trips not take, telecommuting, transit. Most will bypass on a freeway or move to surface streets, where there is greater capacity.
LOL....

The Surface Streets of South Florida in no way can support the volume that the Expressways do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll be there for ULI in October. Looking forward to it.
Bullshit. Phoenix is better than Houston because one has a street grid and the other does not.
There are also plans to run I45 a few miles west.

We will see what will happen.

Why would you want to run a highway through the most valuable land in town? Lack of imagination? Willful destruction?
Downtowns are significantly cheaper. ULI did a study and concluded that mixed use urbanism costs 40% less to build and 10% less to operate than typical sprawl.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0neYXukyPMw/UrMb1daGIDI/AAAAAAABXIo/BNrOfwOL18M/s1600/U3+Gwinnett+10-31-13.067-006.jpg

http://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2015/03/sprawlurban.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

San Francisco had good examples of highways going through the middle of the city.  Oakland had it ever worse with the Nimitz.

I'll be there for ULI in October. Looking forward to it.

Quoted:

Surface streets blow in any big city. Dallas is near the worst. Tucson AZ has to be the worst I've seen this side of the Mississippi. 20 years ago it wasn't bad but now it sucks the big one with no room for improvement.

Bullshit. Phoenix is better than Houston because one has a street grid and the other does not.

Quoted:

There are plans to turn that into part of the I-45 extension from Dallas to Kansas City, connecting the existing I-45 to US-75 that will become I-45.  And the geniuses in Dallas want to turn it into surface streets?

I wonder what developer has his hand up what politician's ass for this idea to see the light of day?

There are also plans to run I45 a few miles west.

We will see what will happen.

Why would you want to run a highway through the most valuable land in town? Lack of imagination? Willful destruction?

Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance but on the pic with the big box store and high density area is that a gross or net revenue for the city. The high density will have much more cost associated with it than the big box store (E.g. road construction and maintenance).

Downtowns are significantly cheaper. ULI did a study and concluded that mixed use urbanism costs 40% less to build and 10% less to operate than typical sprawl.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0neYXukyPMw/UrMb1daGIDI/AAAAAAABXIo/BNrOfwOL18M/s1600/U3+Gwinnett+10-31-13.067-006.jpg

http://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2015/03/sprawlurban.jpg

Hmmmmm. Big suburban ranch home with my own lot versus skinny shotgun town home style housing wih not lot. Oh, suburban housing is a free standing building versus the urban one being interconnected row housing.

Fuck that.... I love my yard, my fence, my privacy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thus, highway funds are subsidizing your lifestyle. Allowing you to live further from where you work and get yourself there in relative ease. It's no different than when cities or states subsidize trains or what not. But, we try to pretend otherwise.

This is actually why I personally support toll roads. I think they help clear up the muddy reality of spillover costs with good old fashioned pricing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Politico.

I'm strongly in favor of removing a number of highways, particularly I345 in Dallas.  The benefits to the city can hardly be overstated.

Dwight D. Eisenhower didn’t like the way America’s interstate highway system turned out. The interstates, as he saw it, were supposed to create connections between different cities, not gouge paths through the middle of them. But by the time his presidency came to an end in 1960, huge highways and overpasses had obliterated thickly settled urban areas, uprooting families and dividing neighborhoods, all paid for with federal money. Eisenhower was aghast.

Today, with the urban highways of the Eisenhower era nearing the end of their useful lives, cities and state transportation leaders face a choice: Rebuild their highway segments at great expense, or tear them down and replace them with surface streets.

I'm aware I'll catch flak for this, but I like San Antonio's system.  Two ring roads, with 4 or 5 highways crossing into downtown from various directions.  Easy to navigate at least.   Surface-streets only would suck.  

Yeah having to rely on nothing but surface streets would make rush hour a special kind of hell.  It's bad enough already, can't imagine how bad it would get if you had to enter the city from the outskirts using nothing but surface streets.

I think part of the problem is people trying to use the highways to cut through the city rather than enter it.  If you are just going past the city, just use the belt way and go around it.

Thus, highway funds are subsidizing your lifestyle. Allowing you to live further from where you work and get yourself there in relative ease. It's no different than when cities or states subsidize trains or what not. But, we try to pretend otherwise.

This is actually why I personally support toll roads. I think they help clear up the muddy reality of spillover costs with good old fashioned pricing.
Everything in South Florida is a toll road. Still doesn't change anything. We have no more room to build except up.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a shocker:

I live where I can afford the property, while avoiding the ghetto.  I cannot currently afford to live within your "ideal commute of my job."  So I commute.

I don't know what to tell you, but if I cannot afford to live as close to my job as you think I ought to....it's not going to happen.  I'd love a shorter drive, but I'm also damn sure I'm not going to spend all my earnings on a shit place to live in a ghetto just so that I can reduce my commute.  Not to mention that I'm also damn sure I'm not going to live next so any "rich and vibrant communities."  (commenting on ability of my neighbors to abide by laws, etc. rather than race, etc).
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
We are pretty much stuck with what we have right now as there is no way to rebuild the interstate system to go around cities while still providing services to the cities. At one point in time some of them were outside of the cities but not anymore. The main problem is that when you remove the interstate system in certain parts and you still need to have the commercial traffic go through there then you have issues with non driving idiots who think that they an drive a care. Heck even some of the commercial drivers shouldn't be driving. One answer is make more bypasses around cities to keep the traffic not needing to go into that city from going into that city.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I345 is not a real highway. It's only a mile and a half long. It's just a connector road.
View Quote

and there have been talks for years about tearing it out, replaced with nothing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The one good thing about the toll roads in Illinois is that they allow you to drive through the state without ever entering Chicago.

All of the expressways run through Chicago.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL....  

The Surface Streets of South Florida in no way can support the volume that the Expressways do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So all of the traffic normally carried on that section of freeway would have to be carried on the other freeways?

LOL....  

i was gonna respond to Combat Jack with "do you know how I know you don't know shit about getting from point A to point B across a city?" because miami.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

i was gonna respond to Combat Jack with "do you know how I know you don't know shit about getting from point A to point B across a city?" because miami.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL....  

I have seen all of the great cities of Europe and the United States, but my only experience with Latin American cities is Houston, I have yet to visit Miami.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My car is my freedom of movement. Cars next to guns are one of the ultimate expressions of American Freedom. My car is what allows me to work in South Florida and travel back North Florida. Without that I'd be fucking stuck making shit wages and flipping burgers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what they are trying to do in Dallas.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20131027-arts.jpg.ece/BINARY/arts.jpg

It's a nice liberal plan but what will happen is delays and cost overruns will tank the project ending up with another Dallas slum. Meanwhile, enough money will siphoned off making Dallas city council members really happy, off camera.

Which makes more sense?

Quoted:
"War on Cars".

Pretty much every infrastructure project or residential/commercial development in California has pushed cars, parking and vehicular travel aside in favor of green space, bike paths and hiking trails.

Ditto with freeway improvements. There is NO single occupancy lane expansion slated, instead they are opting for HOV/Electric car/mass transit lanes that take 2X the space as regular travel lanes. In addition they are spending gigabucks on HOV only on and off ramps.

The baseball stadium in downtown San Diego has NO parking lot, the proposed replacement football stadium is same.

I've not suggested that you be prohibited from buying what you want, just that you shouldn't be entitled to have your chosen lifestyle subsidized.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL....  

That's a choice that Florida made, and a bad one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm. Big suburban ranch home with my own lot versus skinny shotgun town home style housing wih not lot. Oh, suburban housing is a free standing building versus the urban one being interconnected row housing.    

View Quote

And you should be allowed to have it, if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Here's a shocker:

I live where I can afford the property, while avoiding the ghetto.  I cannot currently afford to live within your "ideal commute of my job."  So I commute.

I don't know what to tell you, but if I cannot afford to live as close to my job as you think I ought to....it's not going to happen.  I'd love a shorter drive, but I'm also damn sure I'm not going to spend all my earnings on a shit place to live in a ghetto just so that I can reduce my commute.  Not to mention that I'm also damn sure I'm not going to live next so any "rich and vibrant communities."  (commenting on ability of my neighbors to abide by laws, etc. rather than race, etc).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a shocker:

None of your whining changes the fact that taxpayers subsidize your commute, allowing you to live further away from that "richness and vibrancy" you speak of (which contradicts your earlier claim, btw. You can afford to live closer, but not with the type of neighbors you want to have).
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how is a suburban lifestyle subsidized?  Just because .gov can collect more tax revenue from specific population densities does not mean the lesser revenue producing areas are being subsidized.    It just means those areas produce less revenue.....supposedly.

I've seen what mixed use denser development looks like and it does not work in DFW.  Addison circle was supposed to be a mixed use Eutopia that turned into an area that can't support the businesses that open in it and has a very transient population.  When they built Virtruivan the only argument Addison had for mixed use was the land was too expensive for anything else which was bullshit.

I've seen these "mixed use" arguments before they are all the rage with city managers and urban planners.  Mainly because city planners are desperate for more revenue streams because like any other form of government there is never enough money.  

As to the "car lifestyle" cities like Paris only work because of their very efficient mass transit system.  Something DfW does not and most likely will never have.  DART is a miserable failure that after billions spent still couldn't get the Cotton Belt rail line going where the tracks already existed.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Highways are not the economic arteries of cities. They reduce value and shuffle it out of the city.

View Quote
Quoted:
It's all turning into high priced gayborhoods.
View Quote
Show me a single case where downtown wasn't bypassed by a new expressway and the area by the new expressway developed with further decline of the inner city rot. Just one case. Just one.

Simple rule of thumb, "If you can't get there to spend $$$, you're going to go somewhere else to spend $$$$ " If there was value to be had in the city, the immutable laws of the marketplace would keep them there. Downtowns rot because they're subsidizing the FSA with all its rich and vibrant culture. Another clue, people don't want to run the gauntlet of the FSA and other ghetto goblins that infest the wonderful socialist paradise to shop at stores that think that they own the market with substantially higher prices.

Given the Louisiana level of corruption in Dallas City Hall, that land is going to be turned over with multiple Mercedes Benz bought with the resultant payoffs and kickbacks. Traffic lanes torn down, real estate sold off, and nothing to show for it. Sounds like SOP for (D).

Yet another clue, I enjoy the quiet of suburbia where I don't have to listen to the neighbors fucking on one side, the ones on the other involved in a pre-DV shouting match, and the new neighbors down the hall from SomeShitistan has the whole place funked up with ethnic spices on refried goat labia. If someone wants to prove how caring and tolerant they are to live there, GO FOR IT! Just don't expect me to subsidize your public transportation and buildings just to prove that you're tolerant and open and carrying enough to be part of the synergistic pulse on the street.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And how is a suburban lifestyle subsidized?  Just because .gov can collect more tax revenue from specific population densities does not mean the lesser revenue producing areas are being subsidized.    It just means those areas produce less revenue.....supposedly.

I've seen what mixed use denser development looks like and it does not work in DFW.  Addison circle was supposed to be a mixed use Eutopia that turned into an area that can't support the businesses that open in it and has a very transient population.  When they built Virtruivan the only argument Addison had for mixed use was the land was too expensive for anything else which was bullshit.

I've seen these "mixed use" arguments before they are all the rage with city managers and urban planners.  Mainly because city planners are desperate for more revenue streams because like any other form of government there is never enough money.  

As to the "car lifestyle" cities like Paris only work because of their very efficient mass transit system.  Something DfW does not and most likely will never have.  DART is a miserable failure that after billions spent still couldn't get the Cotton Belt rail line going where the tracks already existed.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suburbia costs more to build and or maintain than it pays in taxes. It ends up being subsidized by cities or more commonly, paid for on credit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd fully support bypasses around every major city even if it's a toll road like they did to bypass Austin, TX.

Atlanta, GA needs one bad. I know they have a bypass, but it's too damn crowded and out of date.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Suburbia costs more to build and or maintain than it pays in taxes. It ends up being subsidized by cities or more commonly, paid for on credit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering the amount of taxes  I pay, the fact that all major freeways around me are toll roads combined with the fact that most suburbanites use very few if any .gov services I seriously doubt that assertion.  

I'll counter that when Addison tore down the apartments to build their new mixed used developments emergency services calls went down once the apartments were vacated.    Once that brand spanking new development began to be populated calls began to climb to their pre -demolition levels.  So going from section 8 to "supposed" high end development made no difference in city services uses mainly police.  Funny thing was your favorite high density development was built with parking garages and there was no major employers to speak of in the area that didn't require a car to get to.  

Now who wrote this study you're relying on?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I can see this working wonders in the greater Los Angeles area.  Yeah, really... great idea.  Dam, those liberals are so darn smart.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Yay!

More city trash to vote Democrat!!!

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Alternative route? What is that Nashville? surface streets like the Pike and Middle Brook are useless at 5pm.

Having two major arteries I-75 and I-40 meet in the center of town was a great idea, not. and I-640 bypasses nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I40 in Knoxville is a PITA. The side roads suck and there is only one major alternative route through the city.

Alternative route? What is that Nashville? surface streets like the Pike and Middle Brook are useless at 5pm.

Having two major arteries I-75 and I-40 meet in the center of town was a great idea, not. and I-640 bypasses nothing.

I missed your reply, the Pike is the only alternative that I can use for the most part. And as you said, it is useless after 5pm (or most times).
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have seen all of the great cities of Europe and the United States, but my only experience with Latin American cities is Houston, I have yet to visit Miami.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL....  

Go to Tallahassee... that place is only 250,000 folks and even they have traffic issues with surface streets.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
None of your whining changes the fact that taxpayers subsidize your commute, allowing you to live further away from that "richness and vibrancy" you speak of (which contradicts your earlier claim, btw. You can afford to live closer, but not with the type of neighbors you want to have).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a shocker:

Tolls.... I pay tolls on every fucking road I travel on. No one is paying for me.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Big difference between Europe and some of the NE Cities versus the rest of the US. The older places were established before the era of the auto. Their mass transit works since it covers a smaller area and had the chance to develop. Places like Miami, Dallas, LA, etc... all really came into being after the auto became a stable item in society.

European ideas won't work in the USA simply because of geography.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Fuck cities..........I lived and worked in some of the biggest cities in America.............if I never see another one it will be too soon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The answer is perimeter highways around cities.  Also, way over build infrastructure.  Think you need 4 lanes each way?  Build 8.  
View Quote

Except that local governments then allow development around the perimeter highways, making them local and adding local traffic.

you also can't build your way out of congestion.  Look up "induced traffic" if you want to find out more.

Want a interstate highway system that works?  Limit access points to one every 10 miles.  That would make sure that only long-haul traffic is using it...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is all part of the plan, to keep people in the cities.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much time would you say you spend on 345?  By that I mean wheels of the vehicle you are driving on the concrete of 345.

How much time would you say you spend in Dallas?  By that I mean daily.

What would you say is the biggest concern for Dallasites right now?  And how much will it cost to repair that problem?

I live in Dallas, I take 345 everyday, and so do thousands of others just like me.  I've heard the 65-35% split, but when you press the anti-345'ers they really have nothing to support that figure. They admit it, only after they've cursed you out. They like to narrow the scope of the percentages by using "Depart and Arrival Dallas", but the Dallas they are using is City of, not County of. If they were to use County of, the numbers would wouldn't support them.  Their supporting numbers would fall even further when you factor "Depart OR Arrive Dallas" (City of or County of).

I also laugh at the anti-345'ers who claim that without it, people just will delete their planned trips.  No they wont.  In this shallow of a city, you think people are going to not do what they want?  Telecommuting?  Not in the neighborhood I live, which mostly consists of industry type jobs.  Transit?  DART is OK, but if you work across Dallas (live SE, work NW) you each way trip will be two hours.  And then there's the surface street cry, yes, "Just take the surface streets", that is the stupidest argument of them all against 345.  Have you seen Dallas surface streets?  They are abysmal.  Potholes with rebar sticking out of them, that tear tires to shreds, and often worse.  In fact it is estimated by the city itself that repair of existing surface streets will cost $900,000,000.  And anti-345'ers want to put MORE vehicles on the sub-standard streets.

And when you point to the ecological impact deleting I-345 will have on a city that already has multiple ozone alerts per year its even worse.  What pollutes more, vehicles in on city streets stopping at traffic lights the city admits it cannot figure out how to time, or what the appropriate algorithm is, or vehicles on a freeway?  Oh I know, those people from the south will just Interstate 20, link up with I-635 to go around the east side, or I-20 to Spur 482 to Loop 12 to I-635 around the west side.  If you know Dallas like I do, you're laughing at the mention.  But wait!  We can send people up Interstate 35 into the heart of Dallas, because the old Mixmaster there can handle a few extra thousand vehicles, and that new Mixmaster they are building to replace the old one will surely handle it.  No it wont.

If you want the elevated I-345 taken down, fine.  Come up with a replacement, because a deletion is stupid.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did you have a specific question? Wick Allison had a few auditors look at the problem and they came up with some large numbers. The plan to move I-30 south a few miles would create $30B in investment over the next few decades.
View Quote

So now we're back to the whole, just move Interstate 30 south schtick from the 80's and 90's?  And how would we do that?  And what would that cost this time?  This time are we talking I-30 through Dallas and Tarrant counties, or are going to include Rockwall and Hunt?  What about Interstate 20, which just happens to be a "few miles south" Interstate 30?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Are you sure about that?

I think you're probably right when it comes to new development and expansion, at least when it comes to using credit (bonds, etc.) for the growth.  But just in the Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas/FW areas, I can provide countless examples of how wrong the rest of your statement is.  Affluent areas which are more mature pay significantly more into the community coffers than the money they receive.  It's a lot like income taxes on the upper middle to wealthy class at a national level.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Also of note, the cry for the deletion of I-345 didnt start until early last decade when well-off people started moving to Deep Ellum.  They became instant NIMBYs once they moved in.  Before that, they didnt care it was there.  And if you ask them how often they take I-345, some of them will still tell you the truth.  You'll also see many of the at Dallas City Hall meeting complaining about the traffic and potholes on the various streets through Deep Ellum.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How much time would you say you spend on 345?  By that I mean wheels of the vehicle you are driving on the concrete of 345.

What would you say is the biggest concern for Dallasites right now?  And how much will it cost to repair that problem?

I live in Dallas, I take 345 everyday, and so do thousands of others just like me.  I've heard the 65-35% split, but when you press the anti-345'ers they really have nothing to support that figure. They admit it, only after they've cursed you out. They like to narrow the scope of the percentages by using "Depart and Arrival Dallas", but the Dallas they are using is City of, not County of. If they were to use County of, the numbers would wouldn't support them.  Their supporting numbers would fall even further when you factor "Depart OR Arrive Dallas" (City of or County of).

I also laugh at the anti-345'ers who claim that without it, people just will delete their planned trips.  No they wont.  In this shallow of a city, you think people are going to not do what they want?  Telecommuting?  Not in the neighborhood I live, which mostly consists of industry type jobs.  Transit?  DART is OK, but if you work across Dallas (live SE, work NW) you each way trip will be two hours.  And then there's the surface street cry, yes, "Just take the surface streets", that is the stupidest argument of them all against 345.  Have you seen Dallas surface streets?  They are abysmal.  Potholes with rebar sticking out of them, that tear tires to shreds, and often worse.  In fact it is estimated by the city itself that repair of existing surface streets will cost $900,000,000.  And anti-345'ers want to put MORE vehicles on the sub-standard streets.

And when you point to the ecological impact deleting I-345 will have on a city that already has multiple ozone alerts per year its even worse.  What pollutes more, vehicles in on city streets stopping at traffic lights the city admits it cannot figure out how to time, or what the appropriate algorithm is, or vehicles on a freeway?  Oh I know, those people from the south will just Interstate 20, link up with I-635 to go around the east side, or I-20 to Spur 482 to Loop 12 to I-635 around the west side.  If you know Dallas like I do, you're laughing at the mention.  But wait!  We can send people up Interstate 35 into the heart of Dallas, because the old Mixmaster there can handle a few extra thousand vehicles, and that new Mixmaster they are building to replace the old one will surely handle it.  No it wont.

If you want the elevated I-345 taken down, fine.  Come up with a replacement, because a deletion is stupid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...when they re-did 75/635 it was designed to handle 80% of the capacity at that time.  Only a civil engineer could do something so stupid.  When are people going to realize roads drive development not the other way around.  Extend a freeway residences and business spring up around it.  

No one is developing land on the side of a FM but they sure as hell will build around a freeway.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#37]
A nation is only as strong as its roadways. Rome became as powerful as it was due to it's vast road network that was relatively advanced for its time.

What we need to do is increase the amount of lanes we have to handle the increased traffic density our road network has seen over the past half century. The biggest issue I have seen everywhere is there are too many vehicles for the roads they travel. This is what causes traffic jams.

There have been multiple studies done on this. Our road network is no longer adequate to handle the traffic that is on it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seattle would have been an incredibly easy city to bypass, back in the day when there was nothing where 405 is now.
View Quote

It's still possible.  Start at Centralia and straighten/widen 507 to a direct connection to 512.  Straighten 512 to a direct connection with 18.  Extend 18 north of I-90 and intercept I-5 again near Everett.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Screw that, I'm not spending three extra hours & the extra gas going around Atlanta.  Time is money, beltways are usually time suckers.

Columbus and several other cities have the right idea:  a couple of essentially through lanes, very limited exits for several miles, and then only to dump you off into the "regular" freeway lanes. Through traffic gets to go through the city and commuters have their lanes to get to the suburbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think part of the problem is people trying to use the highways to cut through the city rather than enter it.  If you are just going past the city, just use the belt way and go around it.

Screw that, I'm not spending three extra hours & the extra gas going around Atlanta.  Time is money, beltways are usually time suckers.

Columbus and several other cities have the right idea:  a couple of essentially through lanes, very limited exits for several miles, and then only to dump you off into the "regular" freeway lanes. Through traffic gets to go through the city and commuters have their lanes to get to the suburbs.

Whoever designed the north/south merge through Columbus needs to be swinging by his nuts from the tallest bldg. in town.

I have never seen a worse design on any highway anywhere than that.

From Polaris all the way to the south merge of the beltway is bumper to bumper and makes that roughly 30 mile trip an absolute nightmare at rush hour.

And that's on a good day and there's damn few of them.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

A nation is only as strong as its roadways. Rome became as powerful as it was due to it's vast road network that was relatively advanced for its time.

What we need to do is increase the amount of lanes we have to handle the increased traffic density our road network has seen over the past half century. The biggest issue I have seen everywhere is there are too many vehicles for the roads they travel. This is what causes traffic jams.

There have been multiple studies done on this. Our road network is no longer adequate to handle the traffic that is on it.
View Quote
An issue for many areas is that you can't add more lanes. The major routes when planned forty years ago had breathing room. Now, housing and business have surrounded it. You can't add another two lanes because there is no more space to do so.

I-95 and SR826 is a prime example of that in Miami.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Was this the memo you meant?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304281004579222442197428538

It doesn't paint the rosy picture you claim. It will take about five years for those delightful young persons they hired to realize that #justice costs the taxpayers an assload of money and their employer's corporate tax breaks don't apply to them. The real estate market is already stable and rising. While they drive up the local tax rate, they'll find out that they can't afford those nifty apartments because there are 60,000 people who want to rent 40,000 apartments and the price rises accordingly.

Meanwhile, the stockholders will figure out that Frankie (female) and Jasper (male) aren't really productive when they spend half their day on facebook and twitter and demand raises so they can destroy the company's bottom line when they fly first class to the Climate Change tm sm Reg US Pat Off protest.

The Wall Street Journal article says that 40% of the Fortune 500 maintain some kind of urban presence. That means that 60% of them don't. Given the amount of silliness we've seen in large cities in the last five years, I'm surprised that anyone wants to do business in a city.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Given the amount of silliness we've seen in large cities in the last five years, I'm surprised that anyone wants to do business in a city.
View Quote

I was just in Seattle having lunch with my sister yesterday. We were talking about how the city is doing everything it can to force people onto mass transit while at the same time allowing, even encouraging "rallies" by activists that disrupt mass transit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I live in Houston. I spend about 40 days a year in Dallas.

Quoted:

That is not the impression that I got when I talked to Patrick Kennedy.

Quoted:
I also laugh at the anti-345'ers who claim that without it, people just will delete their planned trips.  No they won't.

And yet that is what has happened in all the other cities that have done this.

Quoted:

The replacement is a boulevard.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I see more tax dollars flowing into Baltimore than out of it.

Between my high property and county income taxes No 'urban area' is subsidizing my country - in fact it's the opposite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I see more tax dollars flowing into Baltimore than out of it.

Between my high property and county income taxes No 'urban area' is subsidizing my country - in fact it's the opposite.

And yet you can't "see" tax dollars, but when people like Joe Minicozzi make 3D graphics showing inflows and outflows it is the downtown areas that show the profit and suburbs that show the loss.

Quoted:

Rome existed before railroads, and if they had been able to invent railroads they wouldn't have worried so much about roads.

Did it ever occur to you that we have more vehicle traffic because we design cities that require cars? And that no city has ever built its way out of congestion?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think you're probably right when it comes to new development and expansion, at least when it comes to using credit (bonds, etc.) for the growth.  But just in the Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas/FW areas, I can provide countless examples of how wrong the rest of your statement is.  Affluent areas which are more mature pay significantly more into the community coffers than the money they receive.  It's a lot like income taxes on the upper middle to wealthy class at a national level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When you look at the census data it shows that neighborhoods get poorer as they age.  You can't grow out of that problem.

They start out nice and they get poorer and then the money moves out a little further and the cycle repeats itself.

Quoted:
So now we're back to the whole, just move Interstate 30 south schtick from the 80's and 90's?  And how would we do that?  And what would that cost this time?  This time are we talking I-30 through Dallas and Tarrant counties, or are going to include Rockwall and Hunt?  What about Interstate 20, which just happens to be a "few miles south" Interstate 30?

There is an existing TXDOT right of way that runs south of Dallas. There would be no land purchase and no eminent domain. Just build a road, connect it on both ends, and move in.

Again, they had auditors run the numbers and they came up with an additional $30B in construction over the next few decades.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

OK, so those 40 days are enough for you to tell me what Dallas needs to do?

The same Patrick Kennedy that doesnt offer hard answers to the hard questions I asked him regarding his desire to remove 345?  oh well.

I will point to Wilmer, TX, and the Union Pacific's Dallas Intermodal Terminal.  Thousands of trucks use it daily to take goods to Dallas, and cities to the north because it is the only intermodal facility in Dallas.  They take 45/345/75.  So do many of the trucks from Schneider's yard, Archer's automotive yard,among many others.  DOnt forget the many thousands of people that live south of Dallas along 45 that work in downtown Dallas.

Other cities arent Dallas.  I know you'll mention Seattle and Barcelona.  Well Seattle isnt half the size; population square miles of Dallas, and they have their problems with the deleted freeway and the new freeway that will actually replace the deleted one (mentioning this got Pat Kennedy mad at me)  according to friends that actually live in Seattle.  Barcelona doesnt have the dependency on personal private transportation we do.  Their population is also packed towards the center of the city.  

You are also assuming, like the anti-345 people that DFW'ers arent shallow enough to just say "Oh, I-345 isnt there anymore, I just wont go."  That's hogwash.  They go.  

Oh yeah, well I guess it depends on which portion of the NIMBYs you are talking to.   Most of them want it gone, completely; as in the ramps connecting to Interstate 30 witll somehow stay (or they wont, again depending on who you speak with).  Others will say, "We'll just make Cesar Chavez (formerly known as South Central Expressway) the connection between US75 and Interstate 45.  OH!  Well shit.  We'll just put the traffic that 345 takes and put them on our crumbling city streets (I noticed you bypassed the issue of $900M in needed repairs to Dallas city streets.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, so those 40 days are enough for you to tell me what Dallas needs to do?

Quoted:

The same Patrick Kennedy that doesnt offer hard answers to the hard questions I asked him regarding his desire to remove 345?  oh well.

I will point to Wilmer, TX, and the Union Pacific's Dallas Intermodal Terminal.  Thousands of trucks use it daily to take goods to Dallas, and cities to the north because it is the only intermodal facility in Dallas.  They take 45/345/75.  So do many of the trucks from Schneider's yard, Archer's automotive yard,among many others.  DOnt forget the many thousands of people that live south of Dallas along 45 that work in downtown Dallas.

Quoted:
I also laugh at the anti-345'ers who claim that without it, people just will delete their planned trips.  No they won't.

Other cities arent Dallas.  I know you'll mention Seattle and Barcelona.  Well Seattle isnt half the size; population square miles of Dallas, and they have their problems with the deleted freeway and the new freeway that will actually replace the deleted one (mentioning this got Pat Kennedy mad at me)  according to friends that actually live in Seattle.  Barcelona doesnt have the dependency on personal private transportation we do.  Their population is also packed towards the center of the city.  

You are also assuming, like the anti-345 people that DFW'ers arent shallow enough to just say "Oh, I-345 isnt there anymore, I just wont go."  That's hogwash.  They go.  

Quoted:

Oh yeah, well I guess it depends on which portion of the NIMBYs you are talking to.   Most of them want it gone, completely; as in the ramps connecting to Interstate 30 witll somehow stay (or they wont, again depending on who you speak with).  Others will say, "We'll just make Cesar Chavez (formerly known as South Central Expressway) the connection between US75 and Interstate 45.  OH!  Well shit.  We'll just put the traffic that 345 takes and put them on our crumbling city streets (I noticed you bypassed the issue of $900M in needed repairs to Dallas city streets.  

I-345 may be ugly, but it is a necessity.  The anti-345'ers are just NIMBYs with a cool cause.

Dont ask if any of them have a financial interest in the proposed $1B Trinity tollroad.  You might get cussed out, or curtly dismissed.

"It's always shady in Dallas", as a friend named Brian likes to say.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There is an existing TXDOT right of way that runs south of Dallas. There would be no land purchase and no eminent domain. Just build a road, connect it on both ends, and move in.

Where?  The only existing RoW I know of south of Dallas is I-20.  Or are you talking about putting I-30 south of Dallas County?  If so, what good would that do?

Again, they had auditors run the numbers and they came up with an additional $30B in construction over the next few decades.

Who?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?  The only existing RoW I know of south of Dallas is I-20.  Or are you talking about putting I-30 south of Dallas County?  If so, what good would that do?

Who?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'm aware I'll catch flak for this, but I like San Antonio's system.  Two ring roads, with 4 or 5 highways crossing into downtown from various directions.  Easy to navigate at least.   Surface-streets only would suck.  

View Quote

Yeah, it's expensive to build surface street grids like in Arizona in a place like San Antonio, land of a thousand roaring creeks after a heavy rain. The loop system is pretty good, especially now that 410 has been widened to handle the traffic.

1604 otoh is only 2 lanes while the government tries to coerce us into accepting toll roads. With all the weak minded foreigners moving here, it will probably work.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top