Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/22/2015 9:09:00 PM EDT
When does this ride stop?

Target SUES hero who fended off knife-wielding attacker stabbing 16-year-old girl at checkout. Chain claims rescue effort put 'too many lives at risk'

Michael Turner, 50, faces lawsuit from big box store after helping tackle Leon Walls, 44, during a March 2013 incident in East Liberty, Pennsylvania
   Store says that Turner and two other men brought 'risk of harm to others' when they pursued Walls inside store following an earlier stabbing
   Family of victim Allison Meadows is suing Target for weak security and says that store is trying to find someone else to blame
   Walls found guilty of attempted homicide and awaits sentencing

Despite his heroic effort to fight off a knife-wielding attacker from a then-16-year-old girl, Target is suing a man who stopped a stabbing in one of their Pittsburgh-area stores.

Michael Turner, 50, was at the big box chain's location in East Liberty when he confronted attacker Leon Walls, 44, and wrestled him away from his victim Allison Meadows.

Walls had rushed into the Target and was pursued by a group of men including Turner before he grabbed the teenage girl as a hostage and stabbed her twice before the dramatic intervention.

Turner is now speaking out after blamed him and the other men for the attack.

Scroll down for video
Michael Turner is being sued by Target after stopping a knife attack in a Pittsburgh-area store. Above, he holds a one-man protest outside the store last week
+6

Michael Turner is being sued by Target after stopping a knife attack in a Pittsburgh-area store. Above, he holds a one-man protest outside the store last week
Leon Walls, (pictured 44, was found guilty last month on charges including attempted homicide after grabbing Allison Meadows during the March 2013 incident
Meadows, who was visiting the area from Tennessee, was grabbed by Walls near the checkout line as her mother looked on in horror

Leon Walls, (left) 44, was found guilty last month on charges including attempted homicide after grabbing Allison Meadows (right) during the March 2013 incident

The attacker was found guilty last month of charges including attempted homicide for the March 2013 incident, though was also found mentally ill.

Video surveillance of the event showed Meadows's mother looking on in horror as her daughter was taken near the store's checkout line.

A group of bystanders including Turner and his friends were able to rush at Walls and take him down, preventing any more harm to the teen.

Police arrived and used pepper spray to take the stabbing suspect into custody.

However, Target says Turner and his friends caused 'unreasonable risk of harm to others' when they pursued and ultimately helped capture the attacker.

The company claims in its suit that the pursuit of Walls led to Meadows's stabbing, according to WTAE.
Homeless man's frenzied knife attack on teen in Target
Surveillance footage of the attack showed Walls (right) grabbing Meadows after running into the Target with a knife
+6

Surveillance footage of the attack showed Walls (right) grabbing Meadows after running into the Target with a knife
Bystanders including Turner rushed at Walls and were able to keep him from attacking anyone else until the police arrived
+6

Bystanders including Turner rushed at Walls and were able to keep him from attacking anyone else until the police arrived
Walls had stabbed another man, Jobe Wright, but was found not guilty by reason of insanity on an attempted homicide charge. Above, police arrest Walls after the checkout line attack
+6

Walls had stabbed another man, Jobe Wright, but was found not guilty by reason of insanity on an attempted homicide charge. Above, police arrest Walls after the checkout line attack

He, his friend Jobe Wright who was stabbed by Walls two blocks away, and two other men had brought the bat inside while looking for Walls.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3170164/Target-sues-hero-man-fended-mentally-knife-attacker-grabbed-16-year-old-girl-hostage-near-checkout-line-saying-blame-stabbing.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck the girl's family for suing Target and fuck Target for suing this guy to try to deflect any possible blame (not that I see where Target is to blame for anything).
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
1) wow that article is an insult to the English language

2) it appears he and his friend chased the stabber into target from 2 blocks away and then crazy dude grabs a 16 year old and stabs her
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck the girl's family for suing Target and fuck Target for suing this guy to try to deflect any possible blame (not that I see where Target is to blame for anything).
View Quote

Only Target will be losing business over this because of their actions. Fuck them, no more of my money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1) wow that article is an insult to the English language

2) it appears he and his friend chased the stabber into target from 2 blocks away and then crazy dude grabs a 16 year old and stabs her
View Quote

That's what I'mytrying to figure out.  Why were they chasing him to begin with?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Was the written in english?    Holy shit that is bad writing
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
1. Loon stabs man.

2. Man and friend chase loon into Target.

3. Loon takes hostage, stabs same.

4. Man and friend rescue hostage.

5. Hostage sues Target for failing to prevent loon from entering Target and taking hostage.

6. Target adds man and friend to lawsuit because they are the ones who chased loon into Target.

7. No one sues loon.

8. Paper publishes misleading article.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Another reason to stay away from them.

FUT

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So let me get this straight. . . . TARGET SAYS THAT THE DIRTY ROTTEN STABBER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS ACTS???

The jury already said he was responsible. And now Target says the hero is responsible.

Fuck lawyers!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Where is the knife company in all of this??? surely they are ultimately to blame for the stabbing someone, as there would be no stabbing without the knife!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So let me get this straight. . . . TARGET SAYS THAT THE DIRTY ROTTEN STABBER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS ACTS???

The jury already said he was responsible. And now Target says the hero is responsible.

Fuck lawyers!
View Quote

No, Target doesn't say that. The hostage says that. The hostage is suing Target for failing to provide adequate security to prevent the stabber's attack. Target says that their security is perfectly adequate, provided that someone like the hero does not chase stabbers into the store; however, the hero did in fact chase the stabber into the store and is therefore partly or wholly responsible for the fact that the store was unsafe. Hostage is not suing stabber, either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
my shadow will never, ever, fall on their door step again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck  target...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
[Extorris] Get involved, what could go wrong [/Extorris]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
How many times is he going to be sued in that article.  OMG I had to stop reading. That was painful.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm suing for Punitive Damages. Sue everybody.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
We had a whacko go all stabby on some people in a local mall, Whacko takes a lady hostage, cuts her a couple of times, Responding Local Cop shoots bad guy  in the face...Victim SUES HIM for "Subjecting her to witnessing such violence"
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
What were Target's damages?

For a lawsuit to be successful, there has to be damages.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Retardation is rampant.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
He should countersue them for not providing a safe public environment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
P-burg.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is, despite the poorly worded article, that this is a third party suit. What that means is that Target didn't start this litigation, but when it got sued, it then sues the hero as part of the same action, saying if the girl recovers anything from us, some or all of that should come from the hero.

So, its damages are whatever the girl hits them up for. It's a way of saying, "You didn't include all the responsible parties in your suit."

My guess is they didn't sue the criminal because he was found to be crazy (legal term) in the criminal charges against him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is Target's standing to sue?

The heros didn't "chase the stabber into the store" they actually "followed"him into the store he decided to duck into because he was being pursed by good Samaritans after stabbing a victim elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Fuck  target...
View Quote

this....

not one more penny...

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck Target.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The heros didn't "chase the stabber into the store" they actually "followed"him into the store he decided to duck into because he was being pursed by good Samaritans after stabbing a victim elsewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Target has standing because they may become liable in litigation for damages to this plaintiff. As their butt is on the line, they have standing to sue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, looks like Harbor Freight, Amazon and Wal-Mart will now be my primary sources for cheap Chinese shit.

I'll be sure to let Target know why.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I gave up trying to read the article.
I don't shop at Target anyway... Maybe once or twice a year.

Why was the guy being chased?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I gave up trying to read the article.
I don't shop at Target anyway... Maybe once or twice a year.

Why was the guy being chased?
View Quote

He had already stabbed another victim at another location.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Target is basically Walmart without a gun/ammo/sporting goods section these days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That'll about cover it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That'll about cover it.
Yep.

Who is advising target?

Horrible strategy even if they prevail
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't get involved
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#36]
When injustice becomes the norm...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't get involved
View Quote

That's the message being promulgated everywhere these by those who would turn us all into a nation compliant sheep and it's unacceptable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, you can't very well sue the homeless guy can you?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, you can't very well sue the homeless guy can you?
View Quote

They're probably not going to get much from the guy who tackled the stabber and held him for the police either.

Except a shitload of bad publicity.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I live about 40 minutes from there.  East liberty is a tough place.  I worked there (redoing an old restaurant) defiantly not an area to be in without carrying something.  As for target I don't shop there anyways so it makes no difference what they do on my end of things.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Don't get involved
View Quote

I don't know you, but if I see you standing there minding your own business and you get attacked by somebody, I'm getting involved. No one deserves to get beat up or mugged or murdered in front of somebody who could maybe have stopped it and refused to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#42]
We need Memes that read:

"Target would rather a teenage girl be stabbed to death than anyone help.

Do you really want to shop there?"
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't know you, but if I see you standing there minding your own business and you get attacked by somebody, I'm getting involved. No one deserves to get beat up or mugged or murdered in front of somebody who could maybe have stopped it and refused to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't get involved

Just don't be stupid and hang around giving out your name and "explaining your side".

Take care of business and leave.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Only Target will be losing business over this because of their actions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only Target will be losing business over this because of their actions.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#45]
That "article" is

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just don't be stupid and hang around giving out your name and "explaining your side".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't get involved

No shit. If they need to talk to me they can come find me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I got lost and stop reading...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#48]
It would seem, they are sending a message, intended or not, that it is better to have a person stabbed to death in their store, than to have someone stop it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I should really buy a 308
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#50]
While I do love innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. It seems like brazen acts of violence like this were rare from pre-history until the '50 because the perp would be mobbed by good doers and if he died on the way to a hospital it was a collective "meh".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top