BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's my point, you're their future, the rest of us who only use a computer for a few specific tasks don't need a MS OS.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's my point, you're their future, the rest of us who only use a computer for a few specific tasks don't need a MS OS.  

Point of fact: You don't need to ditch an MS OS, you need to ditch the idea of a general purpose personal computer, period. They're not made for people like you.

It will only take a few more years before MS is no longer part of everyone's life like they were in the past.

And again, a lot of you guys need to get out of your bubble. Microsoft isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. They do A LOT more than you're apparently aware of.

This reminds me of that stupid net neutrality graphic that gets passed around, where it shows Amazon being sold by your ISP as if it were a cable channel. If I showed you how incredibly deep Amazon Web Services were embedded in everything you do (to include an assload of the apps you use on your own phone), you'd shit yourself.

Microsoft isn't a whole lot different. The site you're posting on right  now is 100% reliant on Microsoft servers, databases, and programming languages. Deep. Really deep.

They're not going anywhere, anytime soon, even if you decide that you love Google or Apple's offerings on your consumer devices.

BTW - this was posted with a MacBook Pro (I love OSX to death). And it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Make that two, because he's technically right.

It's a better operating system. Objectively. There's a lot more to an operating system than the eye candy that greets you after you've finished installing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[Windows 8] is a better OS than Windows 7.  

Said exactly one person ever.

It's a better operating system. Objectively. There's a lot more to an operating system than the eye candy that greets you after you've finished installing it.

I love 8.1. I can't understand what the big problem is with it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People fear change.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
2 1/2 hours till release. I'm ready.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Windows 7 wasn't "the last one."  Windows 8/8.1 suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

Well I'm on Win 7 on my computer and love it. Far as I know windows 7 doesn't suck.

This keeps being said, but damn is it ignorant. It mostly stems from the "I can't learn a slightly different way of doing the same thing! THIS PRODUCT SUCKS BECAUSE OF THAT!"

I've been running 8.1 on my desktop since shortly after it came out (8, that is, upgraded to 8.1 later on), and you know what? 99.9% of the time, it looks and runs no different than 7. It also has many "under the hood" improvements, including a scheduler that works better with my 8 core AMD CPU.  

The ignorant ranting and bellyaching about Win 8 is way past old.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the interface is bullshit on a desktop/laptop.

Spare me the hur dur of "just go grab some other guys interface for it."

You shouldn't have to do that for the simple process of using the desktop.

It was such a well thought out plan that Microsoft backed off it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

People fear change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People fear change.

Yep, but for me it's what keeps me interested. I can't imagine having the same old interface forever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay, fine.

On your Windows 7 machine - mount an ISO image as a drive. Without third party software. Note that every other major operating system in existence has been able to do this for better than 10 years. This is fundamental stuff.

I'll wait.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Okay, fine.

On your Windows 7 machine - mount an ISO image as a drive. Without third party software. Note that every other major operating system in existence has been able to do this for better than 10 years. This is fundamental stuff.

I'll wait.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, fine.

I'll wait.

Knew it wouldn't take you long...

Did I say the OS sucked or the interface sucked?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, fine.

I'll wait.

Does it matter? Take a few minutes to change it to your liking, and quit yer bitchin'.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, fine.

I'll wait.

The fact you don't like the interface doesn't matter.

You can change it to something you do like with almost no effort. So why bitch about it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol

Look at the time stamps.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it isn't!

I run 8.1 on a desktop with a mouse and it is far far better than W7!

It took me all of about thirty minutes to learn it and configure it for my likes.

Once configured W8.1 is currently the best released Windows OS going!

The interface is GREAT!  Way better than W7!

You guys that are dissing 8.1 are either clueless or helpless ludites....

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Does it matter? Take a few minutes to change it to your liking, and quit yer bitchin'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, fine.

I'll wait.

...and we're back to the hur dur part. "Just install this stupid shit that I shouldn't have to install to make it workable."
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
  ...and we're back to the hur dur part. "Just install this stupid shit that I shouldn't have to install to make it workable."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, fine.
I'll wait.

This part is stupid as are those who install Classic Shell.

It is not needed to make W8.1 configured to work well!

The Classic Shell guys are also part of the "clueless" problem (although they at least get a good OS under that stupid shell)!

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This part is stupid as are those who install Classic Shell. It is not needed to make W8.1 configured to work well!
The Classic Shell guys are also part of the "clueless" problem!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, fine.

I'll wait.

This part is stupid as are those who install Classic Shell. It is not needed to make W8.1 configured to work well!
The Classic Shell guys are also part of the "clueless" problem!

I don't need or want a touchscreen interface for my PC. So I run classic shell. It's no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously? You're the one who's apparently befuddled by a playskool start screen with big easy to read icons, not me.

How is this retard simple shit confusing to you? I'd love to know.

Did you post this with IE right now, or did you opt for a third party browser?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Really? Not discounting your view at all but it's the first I have seen something other than hate for Windows 8.1. I share the opinion of those who wonder how Microsoft could have gotten the user interface so wrong. I use Windows 7 at work and after installing 8.1 on my home desktop, was really wishing I had done my homework instead of just getting the latest version of Windows. I ended up getting Stardock, which is software that gives Windows 8.1 an interface very much like the classic Windows user interface.

Add to that the regular crashes and 8.1 is just not what I want out of an OS.

I am signed up for a free version of Windows 10 because 8.1 sucks and the youtube videos I have seen showing Windows 10 look like an improvement. For now, though, I think Windows 7 is the better choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love 8.1. I wish I had 8.1 on my laptop that came with 7.

I don't get the hate. It's so easy and intuitive, it's what apple used to be.

Really? Not discounting your view at all but it's the first I have seen something other than hate for Windows 8.1. I share the opinion of those who wonder how Microsoft could have gotten the user interface so wrong. I use Windows 7 at work and after installing 8.1 on my home desktop, was really wishing I had done my homework instead of just getting the latest version of Windows. I ended up getting Stardock, which is software that gives Windows 8.1 an interface very much like the classic Windows user interface.

Add to that the regular crashes and 8.1 is just not what I want out of an OS.

I am signed up for a free version of Windows 10 because 8.1 sucks and the youtube videos I have seen showing Windows 10 look like an improvement. For now, though, I think Windows 7 is the better choice.

I purchased a laptop with Win8 on it, installed the Shell app and find it similar to Win7.  I use Win7 at work

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This thread is like people arguing about AIX vs. HP-UX when all they are comparing is the window manager of the graphical interface.....

View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't need or want a touchscreen interface for my PC. So I run classic shell. It's no big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<snip>

I don't have a touch screen on my desktop PC either!

I run it with a mouse and simply configure W8.1 to boot to the desktop like a "normal" computer.

I don't need that old school Classic Shell stuff - it just simply isn't needed and it's much slower than the standard W8.1 GUI....

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Seriously? You're the one who's apparently befuddled by a playskool start screen with big easy to read icons, not me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn bro.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Random thought: I'd love to see all the people saying they are going to switch to Linux when they are confronted with Ubuntu vs Fedora and Gnome vs KDE.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Point of fact: You don't need to ditch an MS OS, you need to ditch the idea of a general purpose personal computer, period. They're not made for people like you.

And again, a lot of you guys need to get out of your bubble. Microsoft isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. They do A LOT more than you're apparently aware of.

This reminds me of that stupid net neutrality graphic that gets passed around, where it shows Amazon being sold by your ISP as if it were a cable channel. If I showed you how incredibly deep Amazon Web Services were embedded in everything you do (to include an assload of the apps you use on your own phone), you'd shit yourself.

Microsoft isn't a whole lot different. The site you're posting on right  now is 100% reliant on Microsoft servers, databases, and programming languages. Deep. Really deep.

They're not going anywhere, anytime soon, even if you decide that you love Google or Apple's offerings on your consumer devices.

BTW - this was posted with a MacBook Pro (I love OSX to death). And it doesn't matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It will only take a few more years before MS is no longer part of everyone's life like they were in the past.

Office is still the best productivity suite for Mac's despite iWork and other apps/services. Apple is not really into core enterprise services/apps/hardware the way MS is. Their partnership with IBM is basically limited to niche productivity apps.

If they are trying to mimic the Apple way for consumers its a good thing but don't expect that to transfer over to their enterprise side. For consumers its all about the ecosystem you buy into and between Apple/MS/Google MS is by far the worst. W10 is their way of cracking the old mold and creating a new one for consumers. Each have their own way of making money off that consumer ecosystem but I don't see the W10 being that bad. Their main struggle is going to be competing for buy in for their ecosystem.

So far I haven't really seen many specifics on that or any announcements with big partners the way Apple has been able to for their latest ideas. For instance one of the big things with El Capitan is bring Metal to Mac and they announced it with a major game dev. MS announces new stuff then you have no idea how its going to flesh out in the real world. A lot of stuff sounds good then its just a blank lack of info after that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This keeps being said, but damn is it ignorant. It mostly stems from the "I can't learn a slightly different way of doing the same thing! THIS PRODUCT SUCKS BECAUSE OF THAT!"

I've been running 8.1 on my desktop since shortly after it came out (8, that is, upgraded to 8.1 later on), and you know what? 99.9% of the time, it looks and runs no different than 7. It also has many "under the hood" improvements, including a scheduler that works better with my 8 core AMD CPU.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last one sucked?

Well I'm on Win 7 on my computer and love it. Far as I know windows 7 doesn't suck.

I don't use 8/8.1 anymore but most issues could be sorted out in 30 minutes with settings changes. For instance in the desktop mode and opening a jpeg the default program was the Metro picture app when it just needs to be changed to the regular desktop app. Once you change the defaults around it makes a lot more sense to me and you don't switch back and forth nearly as often.

Yes its better under the hood but a lot of their defaults and confusing seemingly dual set of apps didn't do themselves any favors.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm typing this on unmodded win8.1. Phucking phenominal, yo! Wizard shit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, so now I'm all confused, are we going to upgrade or not?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Okay, so now I'm all confused, are we going to upgrade or not?
View Quote
Us non Luddite smart ones are....

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm typing this on unmodded win8.1. Phucking phenominal, yo! Wizard shit.
View Quote

Same.

Love the hell out of this OS.

The current crop of office is also the shit.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Windows 7 wasn't "the last one." Windows 8/8.1 suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last one sucked?

Windows 7 wasn't "the last one." Windows 8/8.1 suck.

The primary issue was the users who either refuse to learn anything new, or are incapable of it...

That being said, Microsoft failed to deliver what customers wanted...

Windows 10 looks amazing.

Given the breadth of devices it will run on, Xbox, phones, IoT devices like Arduinos & Raspberry PIs, embedded systems, HoloLens, Oculus Rift (indirectly), PCs of course, next-gen Surface tablets, etc...it's going to be freaking huge!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%, which is why I am happily running 8.1 on a Desktop without using some other guys interface for it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I don't have a touch screen on my desktop PC either!I run it with a mouse and simply configure W8.1 to boot to the desktop like a "normal" computer.

I don't need that old school Classic Shell stuff - it just simply isn't needed and it's much slower than the standard W8.1 GUI....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I don't have a touch screen on my desktop PC either!I run it with a mouse and simply configure W8.1 to boot to the desktop like a "normal" computer.

The Win8 shell wasn't an option when Win8 was originally released.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Users are the problem.  Not the software.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to wait alil before updating.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ok granted.... But then why are they offering it to us Win 7 users?

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

TINSTAAFL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

TINSTAAFL

Microsoft will make the money spying on your habits and selling them.

Win 10 will force you to tale all updates.  No more selecting what you wanted to update or not.

Win 10 will by default broadcast your home, or office, Wi-Fi to anyone.  Everyone is a "friend".

There are other services and features that will require you to allow your info and habits to be sent to Microsoft and whoever they want.

I'll pass.  No but no, thank you.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

It's no slower than the standard 8.1 gui. It's better for my purposes and I don't want the 8.1 gui. So why do you care what I do so much?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Perhaps so.
I'm talking about W8.1, W8 users simply needed to upgrade to W8.1 and forget about the useless "Classic Shell" thingy....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Win 10 will force you to tale all updates.  No more selecting what you wanted to update or not.

Win 10 will by default broadcast your home, or office, Wi-Fi to anyone.  Everyone is a "friend".

There are other services and features that will require you to allow your info and habits to be sent to Microsoft and whoever they want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

TINSTAAFL

And all of that is bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It's no slower than the standard 8.1 gui. It's better for my purposes and I don't want the 8.1 gui. So why do you care what I do so much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I guess in the end game I don't really care one damn bit.

Carry on....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Users are the problem.  Not the software.
View Quote

Considering that this country still is not using the metric system, are you surprised?  It does not matter how much better a new system is, people will oppose it because it is different.   IMO, Microsoft could have avoided all the hate by including a "classic mode" in win8.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

TINSTAAFL

No.

Just stick with your shitty XP for the rest of your life and disconnect from the internet. Everything on it is out to get you anyway.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#42]
8.1 is far better than 7.

Not my fault you have learning disabilities
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#43]
So how amazing is Windows 10?

Worth the upgrade from 7?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like it, but I hate the GUI. Border-less icons is truly a pain and I have good eyesight. Ribbon is slower than drop down menus to. Not sure if there is a way to edit files in Program Files folder? That, and it bricked itself on some updates. May or may not be the low end HP PC. If they could have given other options for the stuff I listed, I wouldn't still be on 7 for my desktop. I'll get 10 eventually, but it has the same shortcomings as 8.1 IMO.

Laptop will likely be going to 10 soon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TINSTAAFL

If you do care about being sold and bounced around like a guinea-pig go ahead.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Preparing for install on my 2nd, non insider PC. Let's see how this goes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'm venting, and I know better. But I feel better.
View Quote

Glad to hear it.  

When's the next Rambling Geek session?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Perhaps so.I'm talking about W8.1, W8 users simply needed to upgrade to W8.1 and forget about the useless "Classic Shell" thingy....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Perhaps so.I'm talking about W8.1, W8 users simply needed to upgrade to W8.1 and forget about the useless "Classic Shell" thingy....

Az_sky doesn't know 8.1 has a desktop....lol
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I like it, but I hate the GUI. Border-less icons is truly a pain and I have good eyesight. Ribbon is slower than drop down menus to. Not sure if there is a way to edit files in Program Files folder? That, and it bricked itself on some updates. May or may not be the low end HP PC. If they could have given other options for the stuff I listed, I wouldn't still be on 7 for my desktop. I'll get 10 eventually, but it has the same shortcomings as 8.1 IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you set it to desktop and boot to desktop? I never use the tiles screen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

In their defense most of them have only been using Windows 7 for about a year after being dragged kicking and screaming off of XP.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top