Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
well done Ruger

its really neat to see what Ruger is doing these days, while Bill created some great designs ( The Single Six, Blackhawk, .22 Mark I/ II, 10-22) in later years he didn't innovate and the "no honest man needs more than 10rds" really pissed people off.

In the past ten years Ruger has changed very much, I'm glad to see them branch out with no ideas and the fact that they are actually listening to their customers is outstanding

not really in the market for a precision rifle but one of these in .308 does look interesting
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

southpaw in 6.5 CM and I'm a buyer.
View Quote

ditto

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Its a bolt gun, what point is there in taking ar barrels?
View Quote

Barrels- particularly the throat- get shot out, at least relative to the point that acceptable accuracy is no longer attainable. Someone who only shoots their bolt action around hunting season won't ever see the need, but any serious precision shooter will be wanting to replace a barrel eventually. AR barrels are everywhere.

I'm highly interested in this vs. the custom build I have priced out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good video at snipers hide about it.

Thanks for the link..

My bad
snipers hide article and video
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Highly modified American push feed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What action is this ruler action based on?

Is that a Mauser style lineage?

Sorry for the basic question.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Barrels- particularly the throat- get shot out, at least relative to the point that acceptable accuracy is no longer attainable. Someone who only shoots their bolt action around hunting season won't ever see the need, but any serious precision shooter will be wanting to replace a barrel eventually. AR barrels are everywhere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a bolt gun, what point is there in taking ar barrels?

This is interesting.  

An easy change barrel
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What action is this ruler action based on?

The model 77 is a Mauser lineage controlled feed

The American is a push feed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]

If it really does all that, I'm in.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm very interested in one in 6.5. Looks like ruger has really hit one of out of the park with this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd be interested in getting one eventually!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm very interested in one in 6.5. Looks like ruger has really hit one of out of the park with this rifle.
View Quote

x2

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the engineers for this is a member of the snipers hide. Someone did their homework. As soon as I find one in 6.5 I'm buying it. I'm just deciding whether to keep my new Rem long range 300 win mag or sell it due to its future lack of use.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure if discussed yet but...AR stock exchanges?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'd take one in 6.5.
View Quote

Yeah, either that or .308.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Looks like it uses a lock nut like a savage  (17) that has AR reciever threads on the OD that lets you attach any AR barrel nut (88) to secure the handguard.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure if discussed yet but...AR stock exchanges?
View Quote

You can use ar15 stocks.

this is a copy paste from frank at snipershides review.

"If you wanted to change the stock, use any AR15 capable stock, Magpul PRS, no problem. Want to change the fore-end, same thing, you can add any AR15 fore-end. It has a barrel nut making it that much easier.  The only feature you cannot change is the trigger."
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Left handed, 300min mag pls..

Pls ruger?

Ruger pls...
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I disagree. Tactical precision rifles is still a relatively niche part of the gun market. If this rifle can be competitive with what's out there in accuracy, I think it will be very successful for Ruger. For what this rifle has, and to be able to get it for under $1k could be big if it turns out to be a decent gun. A Remington 700 barreled action and an aftermarket chassis is going to cost you more than this rifle out of the box.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a game changer by any means for Ruger or the industry. I applaud their tenacity and like the Company but, why does it always seem they get in the game late?
I disagree. Tactical precision rifles is still a relatively niche part of the gun market. If this rifle can be competitive with what's out there in accuracy, I think it will be very successful for Ruger. For what this rifle has, and to be able to get it for under $1k could be big if it turns out to be a decent gun. A Remington 700 barreled action and an aftermarket chassis is going to cost you more than this rifle out of the box.  

I agree. I think a lot of people don't understand who this is marketed to. In that game a 1000$ rifle that is actually capable is a game changer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Left handed, 300min mag pls..

Pls ruger?

Ruger pls...
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Lot of interest in this here for the 6.5G. Is that better than the .260remington?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I want one 6.5. Will have to sell my savage in 308.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
6.5cm is super nice also. plus hornady makes great bullets

somebody really did their homework with this one. if i did not already own a Remington 5r i would be all over this like asap.

use any mag you want, and rail, and stock and @ 1k. they are going to sell a ton of these.

and they use the proper rifling.

i am really impressed
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lot of interest in this here for the 6.5G. Is that better than the .260remington?
View Quote

They are the same but you can get match grade ammo for the 6.5 for about a buck a round so dont have to reload.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Right now I wouldn't trade that level of accuracy (which is impressive, assuming it performs - and I'll assume it does) and the extra weight for saving ~1300 over a semi .308.

But I could certainly change my mind at some point.   This looks like it could be a good showing by Ruger.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better options for factory ammo. But I would want one in 260, should be simple to swap calibers though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
made by ruger mags that no one else makes?
View Quote

Are you illiterate or <Removed - play nice - T7> .

Read the article. Takes multiple mags. Ai magpul etc.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not a game changer by any means for Ruger or the industry. I applaud their tenacity and like the Company but, why does it always seem they get in the game late?
View Quote

Who else makes a 3/4-MOA bolt gun that takes AR grips, AR stocks, and AR handguards and accepts SR-25/DPMS/AICS mags, and can be rebarreled using typical AR armorer's tools for a ~$1,000 street price?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should note that the 6.5 is a Creedmoor not the Grendel (in reference to the "G" you posted).

ETA: Unless the "G" denoted something else...

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Who else makes a 3/4-MOA bolt gun that takes AR grips, AR stocks, and AR handguards and accepts SR-25/DPMS/AICS mags, and can be rebarreled using typical AR armorer's tools for a ~$1,000 street price?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The magazine feature is something subtle that I don't think most people on here quite understand.

You can't get a 700 to feed from a double-stack magazine without some serious gunsmithing, or buying some very specific 700-based aftermarket receivers.  It's by no means a quick and simple proposition to use those mags...but assuming the Ruger fits and feeds them reliably, that opens up a world of magazine availability.  In competition that's going to enable 20 or 25 round mags, and there are some stages where that might actually be quite rewarding for shooters (cue bitching and inevitable rules changes in 3, 2, 1...).

Building cross-compatability with AR grips, selector levers, and handguards is another stroke of genius.  There's so much selection available in the selector lever market these days, and Ruger just opened up all of for their platform.

My only question at this point that I haven't seen addressed is whether the buttstock adjustment levers can be swapped over from the right to the left side.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Should note that the 6.5 is a Creedmoor not the Grendel (in reference to the "G" you posted).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Sorry. Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

What type of Savage do you have?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well hot damn diggidy I've found my host to build one of these
http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2012/05/mcmillan-cs5-suitcase-sniper-b.jpg

What the hell is that, and why do I want one?

McMillan Alias, formerly Tubb 2000 aka T2K which dominates in NRA High Power.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/soundplay/gifs/5xyl5.gif

Specifically that's the CS5 but whose that worried about it 12" of .308 tubegun goodness for under $1400 sounds good to me
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a brand new Savage Hog Hunter in .308 I'll sell to fund one of these.  I just bought it to put it in a XLR chassis.  This new Ruger offering negates that need completely.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Well, since I already have a bunch of P-Mags that will fit it...and a whole bunch of 7.62/308 ammo and brass and dies and such-like...

...be kinda silly of me not to buy one.

I mean, right? Seems like a perfectly good reason to me.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The magazine feature is something subtle that I don't think most people on here quite understand.

You can't get a 700 to feed from a double-stack magazine without some serious gunsmithing, or buying some very specific 700-based aftermarket receivers.  It's by no means a quick and simple proposition to use those mags...but assuming the Ruger fits and feeds them reliably, that opens up a world of magazine availability.  In competition that's going to enable 20 or 25 round mags, and there are some stages where that might actually be quite rewarding for shooters (cue bitching and inevitable rules changes in 3, 2, 1...).

Building cross-compatability with AR grips, selector levers, and handguards is another stroke of genius.  There's so much selection available in the selector lever market these days, and Ruger just opened up all of for their platform.

My only question at this point that I haven't seen addressed is whether the buttstock adjustment levers can be swapped over from the right to the left side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm paraphrasing here, but in regards to feeding from double stack mags, someone at Ruger realized the 3rd bolt lug would fit right between the feed lips of the mag when opening/closing the bolt.  No goofy Mossberg style 'flapper' needed.

Considering the adjustments are tension lever and screw adjust, I can't see why they wouldn't be.  Even if they aren't someone will knock out an aftermarket part pretty fast I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#37]
It's interesting that the economies of scale involved in the AR-15/AR-10 world have become so huge that the parts are seeping over into other rifle applications. AR barrels are so widespread that it starts to make sense to use them in a precision rifle, AR stocks, AR handguards, etc.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's interesting that the economies of scale involved in the AR-15/AR-10 world have become so huge that the parts are seeping over into other rifle applications. AR barrels are so widespread that it starts to make sense to use them in a precision rifle, AR stocks, AR handguards, etc.
View Quote

What needs to be replaced for a normal AR10 barrel to fit in one of these RPR? Just the extension?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I need this. I didn't know I needed it before, but now I do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What needs to be replaced for a normal AR10 barrel to fit in one of these RPR? Just the extension?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well for one, you'd need a barrel without a gas port.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like that's easily fixed by the market if these rifles catch on. Either barrel makers will offer AR10 barrels without gas ports, or someone will make a lo-pro gas block with just a plug and no hole for the gas tube. With the gas block plug, you can use any caliber and brand of barrel on the market.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I've got one ordered in 243 it will be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype.  I'm going to use it as a "budget" long range rig.  Time will tell how it plays out, but it would be cool to see something be able to get people into long range more affordably.   Not everyone can go out and spend 3k+ on a gun and The same on an optic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Who will be the first Arfcom'er to buy one and post a review?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#45]
That is a fucking winner folks!

Takes common mags, precision rifle with a great design, AR hand guards, and possibly sub $1000?  Big win.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#46]
new video by ruger

sorry I can never get the videos to work.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#47]
The more I read about this rifle, the more I want one. GAS
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

There's going to be a lot of "oh fuck!" Meetings at rifle companies Monday if they did not already know about this
View Quote
You would have thought savage would have been on top of this. Funny enough mossberg already has a similar type of rifle. Just not built worth a shit.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#50]
OST
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top