Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2015 10:42:54 PM EDT
OK, here's the deal.

Up until about 2006 I was shooting 500 yards average, iron sights, M1A, and out to 1000. I wasn't great, but adequate and getting better, pretty good actually out to 500. As my health got worse, I stopped being able to shoot as much and was shooting shorter ranges more often, still did the 1000 some, but usually it was at most 750, and more often it was 300-500 tops. So, I switched calibers to the 6.8 and hand load.

I also have a 5.56 that was a gift from some really great people.

The last couple of years my health has hit the shitter, and my longest shot in the last year or so has been 100 yards a few times, and mostly 50 yards here, actually, lately, it's up from the couch and stick the gun out of the sliding glass door and shoot a feral cat or coon, fox, yote etc.

So, I'm looking now to get into something that is more compact without needing a stamp that can has velocity of a 16" barrel, hence, the Tavor. I love it. Never shot a round, but , I have played with one, and the trigger wasn't great, but wasn't terrible, for a bullpup.

So, what does one go new for now and also used actually, one with a rail to mount my Mepro M21 and a 1-4 scope.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess I'm saying best place.  I know they have them a PSA, which is where I handled one, and it's about 30 minutes if I don't hit traffic.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Geissele makes a trigger for them, but i have not heard how they are.  I do like the tavors ans would consider it if i was not so vested in ARs
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the 18" barrel variant and the Gieselle trigger.

Check prices ar Grabagun.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the 18" variant. I Love mine, paid 1750 at a show but have been seeing them on slick guns for 1599 lately
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the TAV-D trigger better than the Gieselle, it is smoother and has held up really well to 5k or so rounds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
edjumacate me on why the 18in, please. Buddy recently got a 16in and he is in love with it. We'll be going out to the range so I can put a couple of mags through it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Tavor Prices

$1,599.99 is the low right now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geissele makes a trigger for them, but i have not heard how they are.  I do like the tavors ans would consider it if i was not so vested in ARs
View Quote

The Geissele rocks but is too damn expensive. For a $1500-1800 rifle, $350 more for a trigger alone is BS imo

Just be warned that the Tavor isn't exactly a precision rifle. Expect Mini 14 accuracy also, 2" at best and 4" once it gets hot
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Geissele rocks but is too damn expensive. For a $1500-1800 rifle, $350 more for a trigger alone is BS imo

Just be warned that the Tavor isn't exactly a precision rifle. Expect Mini 14 accuracy also, 2" at best and 4" once it gets hot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But $300 in a $1200 rifle is OK?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#10]
You can actually order the Tavor trigger extra crunchy if you like.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat? I don't even know of an AR trigger over $200. Hell, I only spent $150 on mine and I've got $2500 into it and couldn't be happier.

What I mean is that the Tavor is a nice gun but isn't worth the money it sells for. If I'm going to be knocking on $2k for a new gun, I think that a decent trigger and a free float barrel aughta be standard. That is exactly why I ditched mine
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Double tap
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I do want to shoot one first, but don't know anyone with one near me.

I've seen some guys doing pretty decent accuracy wise when they've removed the extra spring or whatever it is.  at the ranges I shoot now, I wouldn't be hurting with a 2moa rifle. My M1a NM with the stainless air gauged Douglass barrel and unitized gas system was 1moa only when I used hand loads and was in the zone and doing my part. It was usually a 1.5 moa gun with match ammo and me, and with real good milsurp, German, Australian and all, it was 3moa on average. That's more than good enough for SD.

4moa is 20 inches at 500 yards, that's a man's width, 2moa is 10 inches. If it can do 2moa all day, that's acceptable for me right now. I can do a bolt gun if I want to get more.

I'm just thinking out loud here. I want to be able to carry it in my car as well, and I have a 95GT convertible. lol  I don't want it in the trunk per se, but I want to be able to access it from the inside.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The Tavor will do MOA with proper ammo and IF you replace the caulking gun stock trigger.
The Shooting Sight 2 stage trigger makes it VERY nice to shoot with accuracy and comfort.

A replacement trigger is not needed if you like a crappy trigger and so-so accuracy.

Mixed ammo @ 100 yards.
Mine drops 52, 62,65 & 69 grain ammo all in the same zone.
Using 69 grain ammo ( or heavier ) I can do MOA. With ball ammo expect 2"~3" groups the norm.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
MDR is 6 months out and will be in 6.8, why not wait?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm planning on getting an 18" Tavor soon and I"ll be getting both the trigger and trigger pack upgrades from Geiselle. I chose 18" vs 16" due to a lot more impact energy for not much extra moment of inertia (that's mass times distance). 16 inch is good but I think the extra lenght makes for a better trade-off, for me anyway. As for price, I"m budgetting $1750 for the rifle, $100 for the trigger and $350 for the trigger pack.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
MDR is 6 months out and will be in 6.8, why not wait?
View Quote

See, that really hurts me right there.

I looooooove the Tavor, but I loooooooooove tghe 6.8.

I do have days where I feel good all day long, not often but I have a few days a month, most are half and have and the rest are really shitty lay on the bed can't get up days.

There are times I could hunt if I can stay close to a road, and I would love that.  I used to live in the woods and miss being able to get back there.

If the Tavor was offered in 6.8 there would be no question that I would go that route.

I like the MDR but it just doesn't look as good to me, and , there is a military equipped with the Tavor and it's been a spectacular success.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking at the MDR again just now, yeah, it's a really sexy beast too. I was thinking of something else.

Still, the Tavor has a huge backing with parts and all. I'm not sure how many of the MDRs will be made, sold, and what the future holds for them. Sometimes the best guns get production stopped because of sales, bad management etc,.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Get the Tavor,  a gun in hand is worth 100 guns six months out.. Ill pick one up eventually, hard to argue with an mk18 sized package with a 16" Barrel.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I went with the 16.5" barrel. For me, I liked the more compactness than the additional barrel length.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#21]
What's wrong with you?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get the Tavor,  a gun in hand is worth 100 guns six months out.. Ill pick one up eventually, hard to argue with an mk18 sized package with a 16" Barrel.
View Quote

It's going to be that long anyway.

I'm waiting to get all my property stuff taken care of, and I'm going to have to get a loan to take care of electrical stuff and get it all checked out. I have switches that are marked ( Don't use ), and things like that, that my dad just put a note on before he could get it all fixed. I also need a new heating system, and, I need to remodel one bathroom but which I can do myself if I get the other small one fixed, ( that I can't do, and don't know what's wrong, daddy just said don't use it , any of it, something with the pipe going to the septic I think ) . If I do the big bathroom myself, with a friend's help, we'll save money and his bathrooms look fantastic, but it will take us a week or so to get it done. I can poop in the woods, but I'd have to wait til winter, too may snakes in the summer.

I need to have the plumbing redone, ( iron pipes ), and it smells like copper or iron on the cold side, but the warm side it fine. Cold side will run brown sometimes, ( On and well ).

So, there is all of that.

My credit union basically will do tiers on the loans, not a specific amount, so you might not get 12,452 dollars, you might have to go up to 15,000 dollars if you want that much. So, with the extra from what I've figured, I'm going to do the bullpup thing, and stock up on reloading stuff and ammo, and buy an ass load of mags and some lowers, 2016 I will promise the panic will kick in again.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:13:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's wrong with you?
View Quote

I've had chemical seizures since I was 12. They manifest as panic attacks usually, sometimes they start a couple of days with small ones, then build up to a huge one and trail off after a couple of days. I do whatever I can when I can. The other thing is it makes you just feel weak and like crap for days. Like today, I felt pretty good, until about 6pm, and I started shaking for no reason, just sitting here and watching tv. An hour later and I was better. A couple of hours later and I was sick again. Now I'm fine.

My BP will spike up to crazy high levels on the bad ones, and my heart rate will go up to bad high levels as well. The last time I had to call the rescue squad out here, about six months or so ago, I couldn't feel my face or anything, just numb, couldn't half see because my pupils look like a pinhole. My BP was 160 / 120, and my resting heart rate was 160 for a few minutes, and down to 140, then finally to 120 . That lasted about 15 minutes, and then it went back to normal off and on for a night. Normal is 68-70 for me. After they pass, I have to piss like a horse, and every two minutes it seems. I get up and go pee, and lay back down, and as soon as I'm comfortable again, I have to get up to pee again. That goes on for an hour, and then I pass out for a few.

The next day is rough, and sometimes the next, like aftershocks . Little ones. I had one period where they were like that over and over , back in 2000 , it lasted for over a month of spiking to a major one, and then down for a day,, and then back. Shit hit me out of nowhere. I was working as a service writer and while I was waiting on a customer my shit just gave out. Feeling fine, wanting to go home and bang my 18 yo GF, 12 years younger than me,  that was cooking up something good for me, and my body and brain just went ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.  The owner of the store said I turned white, and all I felt was my legs give out and I had to hold onto the counter, and had to have the boss walk me into his office. Called my GF and my dad to come get me ( she didn't have a car yet ), and I was laid out for a week. In and out of hospitals, but it was just a new deal with the old deal.

That's the problem, you just don't know, there are no emotional triggers ( wish there were ), and when it hits, you don't have a choice, you can't make it. that's why I don't go way out in the woods anymore to hunt, or good out in the fields to shoot long range, or drive anywhere on my own too far out of town. I've driven with the bad ones, and it ain't pretty. It's better to have someone with you that can take the wheel and get you home safe.

It's bad shit, don't wish it on anyone. You have no energy most times, and get tired easy, and you can't really exercise outside the home much or have a regular gym membership because you might wind up missing two months of it, and you get really tired from anything. I'm trying to get to exercise more. It sucks because I was always athletic. Football, ( sucked at baseball ) tennis, golf, track etc.

I can still blister 100 yards. I raced one of my nephews friends a couple of years ago that was on the high school track team, and kept up, had him the first 40 yards pretty good. He was saying, damn, for 45 years old you can still go, as I was falling over on the ground to lay there for 10 minutes. "Go get my bicycle, I'm pedaling back up the driveway."
Made him push me for a bit to get going. lol I was useless for a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've had chemical seizures since I was 12. They manifest as panic attacks usually, sometimes they start a couple of days with small ones, then build up to a huge one and trail off after a couple of days. I do whatever I can when I can. The other thing is it makes you just feel weak and like crap for days. Like today, I felt pretty good, until about 6pm, and I started shaking for no reason, just sitting here and watching tv. An hour later and I was better. A couple of hours later and I was sick again. Now I'm fine.

My BP will spike up to crazy high levels on the bad ones, and my heart rate will go up to bad high levels as well. The last time I had to call the rescue squad out here, about six months or so ago, I couldn't feel my face or anything, just numb, couldn't half see because my pupils look like a pinhole. My BP was 160 / 120, and my resting heart rate was 160 for a few minutes, and down to 140, then finally to 120 . That lasted about 15 minutes, and then it went back to normal off and on for a night. Normal is 68-70 for me. After they pass, I have to piss like a horse, and every two minutes it seems. I get up and go pee, and lay back down, and as soon as I'm comfortable again, I have to get up to pee again. That goes on for an hour, and then I pass out for a few.

The next day is rough, and sometimes the next, like aftershocks . Little ones. I had one period where they were like that over and over , back in 2000 , it lasted for over a month of spiking to a major one, and then down for a day,, and then back. Shit hit me out of nowhere. I was working as a service writer and while I was waiting on a customer my shit just gave out. Feeling fine, wanting to go home and bang my 18 yo GF, 12 years younger than me,  that was cooking up something good for me, and my body and brain just went ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.  The owner of the store said I turned white, and all I felt was my legs give out and I had to hold onto the counter, and had to have the boss walk me into his office. Called my GF and my dad to come get me ( she didn't have a car yet ), and I was laid out for a week. In and out of hospitals, but it was just a new deal with the old deal.

That's the problem, you just don't know, there are no emotional triggers ( wish there were ), and when it hits, you don't have a choice, you can't make it. that's why I don't go way out in the woods anymore to hunt, or good out in the fields to shoot long range, or drive anywhere on my own too far out of town. I've driven with the bad ones, and it ain't pretty. It's better to have someone with you that can take the wheel and get you home safe.

It's bad shit, don't wish it on anyone. You have no energy most times, and get tired easy, and you can't really exercise outside the home much or have a regular gym membership because you might wind up missing two months of it, and you get really tired from anything. I'm trying to get to exercise more. It sucks because I was always athletic. Football, ( sucked at baseball ) tennis, golf, track etc.

I can still blister 100 yards. I raced one of my nephews friends a couple of years ago that was on the high school track team, and kept up, had him the first 40 yards pretty good. He was saying, damn, for 45 years old you can still go, as I was falling over on the ground to lay there for 10 minutes. "Go get my bicycle, I'm pedaling back up the driveway."

Made him push me for a bit to get going. lol I was useless for a couple of hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with you?

Jesus, that sounds awful..  have you been diagnosed or are you a mistery case?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:48:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you consider a P90?  Should be good out to 200, the recoil might be more manageable.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with you?

I've been to the best doctors money can buy, well, back when I was younger and my dad paid for it. One reason we wound up wiping out his fortune. My mother ( no blood relation , I was adopted ) had all sorts of issues. Hospitals, doctors of every kind running every kind of test on everything. Psychiatrists, Psychologists, heart , neurosystem, cancer, you name it. Been on all kinds of pills operated on and had "possible" things removed, along with once a lemon sized lymph node from under my left arm ( I was 15 I think ) .

I've been on Ativan since I was 15, and other things in addition. The psychiatrists have said they really don't need to see me for anything except to write my prescriptions because there is nothing they can really do. I've never been depressed or anything like that.

I might have problems, but I feel real blessed and had some really good years, way the hell better than a lot of people so I can't do anything but be thankful for all my blessings.

Diagnosis though is something like severe panic attacks, anxiety attacks, and general anxiety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top