Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 SAC is back
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No shit. A 44 hour month makes my back hurt thinking of it. Ive done a 9.2hr mission in the 47 so far. That was a LONG fucking day...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
44 hours is a heck of a month in my neck of the woods.

No shit. A 44 hour month makes my back hurt thinking of it. Ive done a 9.2hr mission in the 47 so far. That was a LONG fucking day...

My longest rotary wing mission (MH-53) was 14 hours airborne.  Longest duty day was 26 hours with 22 flight hours (longest leg was only 8 hours).  Talk about being wore out!  Felt like an over cooked noodle.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Got offered a ride in one during the cold war.  12 hour mission in a helmet strapped to a seat...no thanks!  Kind of wish I did it now, how many people can say they've been in a BUFF?  Oh well, got to refuel lots of them though.  Almost had a mid-air with one on a radio-silence mission, they went over the top of us, sounded like a freight train, still not sure how close they actually got as we were in  heavy clouds with extremely limited visibility.

When did they get rid of the Tail Gunner,I almost cross-trained into that AFSC instead of in-flight refueling (Boomer).
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

probably because the last longest mission was 43 hours and the staff planners were jones'n for an MSM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
44 hours at 500 knots.

25,000 nautical miles, roughly.

For the experts in airpower, they really seem to have some fucked up plans.

Did they go through DTS for the routing?

There has to be more to the scenario.

Power projection. I think its cool as hell of a mission.

Agreed, but what specific mission scenario the crew was training for is what interests me.

Perhaps it's simply a case of "because fuck you", but I'm not counting on it.

probably because the last longest mission was 43 hours and the staff planners were jones'n for an MSM.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'd of thought such a milestone would have already been accomplished back when SAC was still around (before McPeak fucked up the USAF more than anyone thought was humanly possible).

Which reminds me;  I really despise that fucker.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Engine turbine oil? Any way to replenish it or doesn't use that much?
View Quote

Tank Capacity: 10.23 Gallons

Unavailible Quantity: 1.59 Gallons

Available Quantity: 7.10 Gallons

20% Availible Quantity in Tank at all Times: 2.96 Gallons

Consumable Quantity: 5.68 Gallons

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'd of thought such a milestone would have already been accomplished back when SAC was still around (before McPeak fucked up the USAF more than anyone thought was humanly possible).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power projection. I think its cool as hell of a mission.

Agreed, but what specific mission scenario the crew was training for is what interests me.

Perhaps it's simply a case of "because fuck you", but I'm not counting on it.

This one is the record.

In a demonstration of the B-52s global reach, on 16–18 January 1957, three B-52Bs made a nonstop flight around the world during Operation Power Flite, covering 39,165 km (21,145 nm, 24,325 statute miles) in 45 hours 19 minutes (536.8 smph) with several in-flight refuelings by KC-97s. The 93rd Bomb Wing received the Mackay Trophy for their accomplishment.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This one is the record.

In a demonstration of the B-52s global reach, on 16–18 January 1957, three B-52Bs made a nonstop flight around the world during Operation Power Flite, covering 39,165 km (21,145 nm, 24,325 statute miles) in 45 hours 19 minutes (536.8 smph) with several in-flight refuelings by KC-97s. The 93rd Bomb Wing received the Mackay Trophy for their accomplishment.
View Quote

dumbasses should have done 2 more hours and broke the record.

airpower.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Australia as an ally?  None better.  They stuck by us in Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7LAo9klSRk
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

China sees your old ass bombers and counters with old ass Chengdu J-7's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello China.

China sees your old ass bombers and counters with old ass Chengdu J-7's.

Or updated Badgers

With very nasty fangs

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why in the world are we training with Australia?
View Quote

Aussies were with me in Afghanistan.

Don't remember seeing you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#11]
44hrs in a BUFF, fuck that

19hrs from Minot to Guam was enough for me, granted I was nursing a case of food poisoning on that ride, and I still didn't use the shitter
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Tindal was one of many RAAF strips up there in the Northern Territory built during WW2. Most still exist. I visited one a long time ago and remember kicking around mangled aircraft bits.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Waste of fuel...we know we can do it...they know we can do it...whats the purpose... training... Hot Aussie girls...now that's a worthwhile trip
View Quote

You don't shoot ammo when you practice at the range?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I scanned the article but didn't see it:  How many tanker missions did it take to keep these guys in the air 44 hours?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I scanned the article but didn't see it:  How many tanker missions did it take to keep these guys in the air 44 hours?

Thanks,
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Long range bombers are the battleships of modern combat - they look neat but other weapons severely outclass them.
View Quote

More like the first rate sailing ships than a battleship.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#17]
In order to guard against surprise nuclear attack, America's Strategic Air Command maintains a large force of B-52 bombers airborne 24 hours a day. Each B-52 can deliver a nuclear bombload of 50 megatons, equal to 16 times the total explosive force of all the bombs and shells used by all the armies in World War Two. Based in America, the Airborne alert force is deployed from the Persian Gulf to the Arctic Ocean, but they have one geographical factor in common - they are all two hours from their targets inside Russia.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
50+ 60+ years and still getting the job done. Amazing.
View Quote

FIFY.  My great-uncle, who flew B-24s in WWII, was among the first Buff pilots.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In order to guard against surprise nuclear attack, America's Strategic Air Command maintains a large force of B-52 bombers airborne 24 hours a day. Each B-52 can deliver a nuclear bombload of 50 megatons, equal to 16 times the total explosive force of all the bombs and shells used by all the armies in World War Two. Based in America, the Airborne alert force is deployed from the Persian Gulf to the Arctic Ocean, but they have one geographical factor in common - they are all two hours from their targets inside Russia.
View Quote

For more than a year, ominous rumors have been privately circulating among high-level western leaders that the Soviet Union had been at work on what was darkly hinted to be the Ultimate Weapon, a Doomsday device. Intelligence sources traced the site of the top secret Russian project to the perpetually fog-shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zhokhov Islands. What they were building, or why it should be located in such a remote and desolate place, no one could say.

Vaguelly related.

Some asshole really hates the AF.
http://ciceromagazine.com/features/figure-out-the-air-force-airpower-nuclear-weapons-and-the-next-generation-bomber/#comment-61755
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hammermil post.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 PGS could hit the same target in less time and the crew would be home by 5 for dinner with the family.  Long range bombers are the battleships of modern combat - they look neat but other weapons severely outclass them.
View Quote

It still demonstrates a real capability that a potential enemy must defend against.... and that sort of defense uses a lot of resources that a potential enemy has to divert.  

Look at the ETO in WWII.  The big bombing raids didn't so much destroy the German industrial base as they bled the Luftwaffe dry through attrition.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Geez, they let just anyone publish nowadays, don't they?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Click bait.  Not much more.  Take a sensational headline and throw it out there to get people to react.  The author is famous for stunts like that.  No research, no logic.  Not even good writing.  Just muck raking for the sake of it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It still demonstrates a real capability that a potential enemy must defend against.... and that sort of defense uses a lot of resources that a potential enemy has to divert.  

Look at the ETO in WWII.  The big bombing raids didn't so much destroy the German industrial base as they bled the Luftwaffe dry through attrition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 PGS could hit the same target in less time and the crew would be home by 5 for dinner with the family.  Long range bombers are the battleships of modern combat - they look neat but other weapons severely outclass them.

Why would you defend against bombers if you can't defend against missiles?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For more than a year, ominous rumors have been privately circulating among high-level western leaders that the Soviet Union had been at work on what was darkly hinted to be the Ultimate Weapon, a Doomsday device. Intelligence sources traced the site of the top secret Russian project to the perpetually fog-shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zhokhov Islands. What they were building, or why it should be located in such a remote and desolate place, no one could say.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ff5ACn3LV0
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you not?

"Well, we can't stop all the missiles so we might as well just give up."
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, the B-52 has EWAR capabilities which could be handy to stage. There is more to it then just blowing up stuff on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

SAC is back
View Quote

All bark and no bite though....
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why would you not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you not?

Because its expensive and a waste of time.

You can't stop ANY of the missiles  (we can only stop a dozen or so).  You can spend a 100 billion dollars on defending against a threat that simply won't be used.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To be fair, the B-52 has EWAR capabilities which could be handy to stage. There is more to it then just blowing up stuff on the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you need an EWAR platform, procure accordingly.

The true JSF isn't the F35, its the F18G.  That's how joint is supposed to work.  One service procures, all services use.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Amazing aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]
If they could retrofit the B-52s to skip the atmosphere, the entire mission could be done in 4 hours or so. It'd be a big ass aircraft for that kind.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't confuse them.  GD knows that. B-52 means carpet bombing, just like a B-24.  Hell, that didn't do any good back then, it must be really irrelevant now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you ever post anything intelligent?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't confuse them.  GD knows that. B-52 means carpet bombing, just like a B-24.  Hell, that didn't do any good back then, it must be really irrelevant now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was actually just reading about their minelaying capabilities.  Whoever thought of the Mk62-65 QuickStrike retrofit package to turn iron bombs into shallow-water mines is a damn genius.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Click bait.  Not much more.  Take a sensational headline and throw it out there to get people to react.  The author is famous for stunts like that.  No research, no logic.  Not even good writing.  Just muck raking for the sake of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like he writes a lot of stuff for that rag.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

0 cross country time. Took off from and landed at the same airport. Sorry guys, it's a 44 hour local.

TC

P.S.--I worked with a guy who interviewed at the airline in the 1970's and wasn't going to get hired because all of his flights took off from and landed at the same place--Beale AFB. And he couldn't tell them what he flew or where he went. A guy in the flight office of the airline who did the same job when he was in the AF vouched for him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
44 hours is 1 hour short of my semi annual minimums in the CH47.

That is a hell of a logbook entry.

0 cross country time. Took off from and landed at the same airport. Sorry guys, it's a 44 hour local.

TC

P.S.--I worked with a guy who interviewed at the airline in the 1970's and wasn't going to get hired because all of his flights took off from and landed at the same place--Beale AFB. And he couldn't tell them what he flew or where he went. A guy in the flight office of the airline who did the same job when he was in the AF vouched for him.

should have included a picture of his astronaut wings ;-)
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cicero seems like the Tinder of the publication world.
It seems to fulfill a need, but I bet you feel dirty afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was actually just reading about their minelaying capabilities.  Whoever thought of the Mk62-65 QuickStrike retrofit package to turn iron bombs into shallow-water mines is a damn genius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the B29 in the pacific was good for two things.

minelaying and nuking.

the rest was a waste.

And it took, literally, the president to get the AAF to do minelaying.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Eh.  MIRV'd it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Did they mention the 50,000 hours of maintenance required after the mission?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy crap...44 hours!

My longest flight on our C-141 was 21.5 hours. Even with a proper toilet, bunk, and the ability to walk around it was miserable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That means you have to get close to shore in contested airspace. I can't believe many B-52 pilots (or any other pilots) would relish that mission.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, the maintenance folk magically got there ahead of time on Quantas.  If it takes 10 months, they'll get that bird up again!

Where do we find such men?
[salute]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Easy entry.  KBAD / KBAD   44hrs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
44 hours is 1 hour short of my semi annual minimums in the CH47.

That is a hell of a logbook entry.

Easy entry.  KBAD / KBAD   44hrs.

KBAD / KBAD = NO Per Diem  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, the maintenance folk magically got there ahead of time on Quantas.  If it takes 10 months, they'll get that bird up again!

[salute]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[salute]

You wasted post 56,000 on this.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
50+ 60+ years and still getting the job done. Amazing.

Holy shhit ! you are right:

First flight: 15 April 1952
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

B-52's can also carry the AGM-84 in an antiship capacity.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Funny, for many threat pilots, that's a good YEAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
44 hours is a heck of a month in my neck of the woods.

Funny, for many threat pilots, that's a good YEAR.

Can you explain this term for me?

I know, it's probably a stupid question.  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top