Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/6/2015 9:05:27 AM EDT
My brother just sent me this slide show. The claim is that the Chinese symbols that compose common words tell of bible events and concepts.
Anyone have experience in these areas?
ETA: This doesn't need to be a debate on whether God exists, but rather a language origin discussion.

Just as some might say Hercules and Samson have the same origins or various stories were borrowed from other cultures.
Youtube Video
https://youtu.be/YjGUC9GNqfE

Here is a screen grab to give you an idea

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If I recall correctly the bible states God formed Adam from dust.

Anything else is probably just the result of wonky translation....
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly the bible states God formed Adam from dust.

Anything else is probably just the result of wonky translation....
View Quote

I don't think you could prove it one way or another. I do have a personal opinion, but I certainly wouldn't pass it along as a fact. And that I do believe that myths and legends could be based vaguely on past common histories. A common beginning could lead to a "natural knowledge" and these are just the memories.

Again, can I prove it? Nope.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Many people are willing to believe ANYTHING to prop up their "faith".   I'd be a millionaire if I had a nickel for every time I've heard retarded shit coming out of the mouths of religious folks.

1,000,000.05 now.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
So, carbon?

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Any evolutionist MUST believe that man came ultimately and originally from............rocks/dust.
Originally-that is all there was on earth.

Me. I believe every single word in the Bible.  Every single word.  

In the Beginning.....God Created. (The Hebrew actually says......the singular "plural" God .....Created (out of nothing)....the Heavens and the Earth.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I watched the videos then went to some separate non-religion websites and the symbols did match up. Doesn't prove that God exists, just that like many other stories such as various cultures having a great flood .etc could have similar roots. Modern DNA sequencing such as finding that all Non-Africans contain Neanderthal DNA segments seems to indicate that this breeding likely occurred somewhere around Babylon and then migrated throughout the world.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any evolutionist MUST believe that man came ultimately and originally from............rocks/dust.
View Quote

Your scientific illiteracy is astounding.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

In the Beginning.....God Created. (The Hebrew actually says......the singular "plural" God .....Created (out of nothing)....the Heavens and the Earth.
View Quote

Even Carl Sagan would agree we all come from Dust. The heavier elements needed to form life were once Star Dust from at least 2 previous supernovas. Each Star fused various heavier elements and spread them throughout this region of space upon exploding. The Sun is considered a 3rd generation star as it formed from this dust as did Earth and our bodies, but we are getting off topic.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many people are willing to believe ANYTHING to prop up their "faith".   I'd be a millionaire if I had a nickel for every time I've heard retarded shit coming out of the mouths of religious folks.

1,000,000.05 now.
View Quote

And so many more will tell themselves anything, including that they're smarter than others to hide their insecurity.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Solar fusion + supernova nucleosynthesis > space dust > planets > the components of life.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
It's on a par with "The bible predicts motorcycles."
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's on a par with "The bible predicts motorcycles."
View Quote

Why is that? Do the symbols not stand for what they say they are standing for? There is no prediction or prophecy claimed.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Some years back, a narcotics-besotted William S. Burroughs "wrote" entire "books" by piling up newspapers, slashing them up at random with a razor, and then reading the resulting lines of text between layers.

He thought he saw some hidden genius, some meaning, in what was essentially randomized gibberish.

We draw parallels.  That's how we learn and how we think, but it causes us to draw parallels where there are none as well.  Sex in a ritz cracker, cut-up "masterpieces", Pollock paintings.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#16]
It's all recycled stories much older than the men who wrote them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#17]
So apparently the Old Testament and ancient China are triggers for the militant atheists around here.
Very interesting video OP thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#18]
As we are talking about linguistics and I can't view the video to see what claims it is making, considering that the Biblical accounts of creation were written on the same continent that the Chinese language was created to say that it is implausible that there were common ideas that led to each is kind of silly.

That being said, the idea of man coming from dust probably isn't a difficult one to replicate within another culture/language without any literary or cultural bonding considering what happens to the human body when it decomposes and the commonality of burial practices as a method of disposing a carcass. There was also a lot of belief among many ancient cultures that birth was related to death as some cultures even made it a practice of burying the dead in the fetal position (though maybe it was just so they didn't have to dig as large of a hole ).

Edited also to say that the Chinese language/writing is one of the most complex and difficult to learn. There are what? 500 Characters/letters in their language? Finding SOME consistencies between SOME of their words/symbols with Judeo-Christian belief is not unlikely.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As we are talking about linguistics and I can't view the video to see what claims it is making, considering that the Biblical accounts of creation were written on the same continent that the Chinese language was created to say that it is implausible that there were common ideas that led to each is kind of silly.

That being said, the idea of man coming from dust probably isn't a difficult one to replicate within another culture/language without any literary or cultural bonding considering what happens to the human body when it decomposes and the commonality of burial practices as a method of disposing a carcass. There was also a lot of belief among many ancient cultures that birth was related to death as some cultures even made it a practice of burying the dead in the fetal position (though maybe it was just so they didn't have to dig as large of a hole ).

Edited also to say that the Chinese language/writing is one of the most complex and difficult to learn. There are what? 500 Characters/letters in their language? Finding SOME consistencies between SOME of their words/symbols with Judeo-Christian belief is not unlikely.
View Quote

The video shows a lot more examples than the one I posted like tempter in a garden, 8 people on a boat during a flood .etc

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So apparently the Old Testament and ancient China are triggers for the militant atheists around here.Very interesting video OP thanks.
View Quote

So apparently anyone who disagrees with this cockeyed "theory" is a militant atheist, huh?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Obviously a miracle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#22]

When you look at the world through bible colored glasses, everything looks bible colored.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My brother just sent me this slide show. The claim is that the Chinese symbols that compose common words tell of bible events and concepts.

Anyone have experience in these areas?

ETA: This doesn't need to be a debate on whether God exists, but rather a language origin discussion.

Just as some might say Hercules and Samson have the same origins or various stories were borrowed from other cultures.

Youtube Video

Here is a screen grab to give you an idea

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78334  
View Quote
My "experience" in this area is simply being of Chinese descent and knowing Chinese -- I'm not a scholar of either the Chinese language or the Bible.

That said, based on my actual Chinese dictionary that explains the origins of the characters, all of the "explanations" in this video are simply incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#24]
In before Jesus rides the dinosaurs people
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't watched the video, but does it contend that since God created all of mans languages at the Tower of Babel; this is just simply a result?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, would you say your brother is an intelligent man?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I think this calls for ........
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#28]
That's just retarded.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#29]

FFS
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Even Carl Sagan would agree we all come from Dust. The heavier elements needed to form life were once Star Dust from at least 2 previous supernovas. Each Star fused various heavier elements and spread them throughout this region of space upon exploding. The Sun is considered a 3rd generation star as it formed from this dust as did Earth and our bodies, but we are getting off topic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're getting pretty hung up on not only the literal translation of "dust", but of the literal intention of it in the first place.

Try explaining what makes up living matter and the origin of man to uneducated goat herders in a couple of sentences.  You'll probably resort to oversimplifications as well.

Of course, that's going out on a limb and assuming that the sentence in question was ever truly uttered or inspired by God or one of His inspired followers to begin with, there's more than one part of Genesis (and the rest of the Pentateuch) that's pretty surely fabrication, or at least exaggerated allegory at best.  The Hebrews didn't have a really strong idea of keeping things literal, and didn't expect their records to be entirely literal.  

But even if you assume that everything in the Bible is true, none of it was ever uttered in an attempt to explain science.  With only a couple of exceptions, none of it was meant to explain history or the future, either.  It was all written to tell you to be a good person, and to try to help you see all of the things that you might need to work on in order to be a good person in the eyes of God.  Taking it any further than that gets really dicey, really quickly.

It's like trying to take anything in the Bible that has to do with numbers like 3, 7, etc., and expecting them to be literal.   With incredibly few exceptions, they just aren't.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#31]

illuminate confirmed
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Modern DNA sequencing such as finding that all Non-Africans contain Neanderthal DNA segments seems to indicate that this breeding likely occurred somewhere around Babylon and then migrated throughout the world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Modern DNA sequencing such as finding that all Non-Africans contain Neanderthal DNA segments seems to indicate that this breeding likely occurred somewhere around Babylon and then migrated throughout the world.

No, not at all.

Modern humans lived in the same areas as neaderthals in different locations and over long periods of time. Intermixing of the species occurred at more than just one location and at one discreet time. Both species migrated due to weather conditions and food.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I haven't watched the video, but does it contend that since God created all of mans languages at the Tower of Babel; this is just simply a result?
View Quote

Yes, derps out at minute five. Says 5000 years ago all the human languages were created. Apparently the original inhabitants of China (China has been in habited by Homo Sapiensfor at least 50,000 years, not even the first Homos there) spoke hebrew then some people came from the west and made them learn Chinese.

People's of the new world as well. All hebrew all the time until later when someone finally got around to teaching them the thousands of languages that existed pre Columbus
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
The Chinese creation myth believes man came from mud, formed by a godess.
It also seems to describe a "big bang" of sorts.
Which is of course proof that the Chinese creation myth is more accurate than the Jewish one and is therefore true.
Thanks OP!
http://www.bigmyth.com/fullversion/password033/myths/english/2_chinese_full.htm
Also, notice how Pan-Gu's skull formed the sky, which is an exactly what the Norse creation myth says about ymir's skull, again, proving the accuracy of the Chinese myth.
Isn't looking at similarities and pretending they mean something about reality fun?
ETA::Look, you can draw parallels between many creation myths around the world (not all of which have parallels with the Jewish myth). Arbitrarily picking one of the myths and pretending that all similarities with it confirm its accuracy ignoring all the similarities between other myths that aren't shared with your "favorite" one is silly.

Similarly you can look at all the myths and find some things that line up with modern science (as well as many, many more things that don't).  Counting the hits and ignoring the misses and claiming the myth got it right is also silly.

Look at it this way:

Plenty of myths have humans being formed out of mud, or dirt, or dust.

Plenty of myths have humans being formed or coming from plants.

Plenty of myths have multiple gods fighting each other for control.

Plenty of myths have floods of various kinds.

Plenty of myths have animals playing crucial roles.

Plenty of myths list the sky as a dome, including the Jewish one (which it is not).

Plenty of myths envision the earth as flat, including the Jewish one (which it is not).

If you get too much confidence, or you get too bent out of shape over the presence or lack of any one of those in your favorite myth, you really are over-thinking these stories.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I find things like this interesting. Thanks for posting. Some of the other vids at the link look interesting as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I've heard that before.  From a native Chinese friend, in fact.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, Chinese ideographs illustrate a book of myths, legends, fables, and incomprehensible parables, which was written later, and far away, by a completely different culture, in totally unrelated languages.

Sure they do.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except that China and the origins of the language date from before the alleged Tower of Babel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're getting pretty hung up on not only the literal translation of "dust", but of the literal intention of it in the first place.

Try explaining what makes up living matter and the origin of man to uneducated goat herders in a couple of sentences.  You'll probably resort to oversimplifications as well.

Of course, that's going out on a limb and assuming that the sentence in question was ever truly uttered or inspired by God or one of His inspired followers to begin with, there's more than one part of Genesis (and the rest of the Pentateuch) that's pretty surely fabrication, or at least exaggerated allegory at best.  The Hebrews didn't have a really strong idea of keeping things literal, and didn't expect their records to be entirely literal.  

But even if you assume that everything in the Bible is true, none of it was ever uttered in an attempt to explain science.  With only a couple of exceptions, none of it was meant to explain history or the future, either.  It was all written to tell you to be a good person, and to try to help you see all of the things that you might need to work on in order to be a good person in the eyes of God.  Taking it any further than that gets really dicey, really quickly.

It's like trying to take anything in the Bible that has to do with numbers like 3, 7, etc., and expecting them to be literal.   With incredibly few exceptions, they just aren't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh shit now you did it.  Claiming anything in the Bible isn't literal has made you an atheist and unbelievable on any subject.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Chinese creation myth believes man came from mud, formed by a godess.

It also seems to describe a "big bang" of sorts.

Which is of course proof that the Chinese creation myth is more accurate than the Jewish one and is therefore true.

Thanks OP!

http://www.bigmyth.com/fullversion/password033/myths/english/2_chinese_full.htm

Also, notice how Pan-Gu's skull formed the sky, which is an exactly what the Norse creation myth says about ymir's skull, again, proving the accuracy of the Chinese myth.

Isn't looking at similarities and pretending they mean something about reality fun?

ETA::Look, you can draw parallels between many creation myths around the world (not all of which have parallels with the Jewish myth). Arbitrarily picking one of the myths and pretending that all similarities with it confirm its accuracy ignoring all the similarities between other myths that aren't shared with your "favorite" one is silly.

Similarly you can look at all the myths and find some things that line up with modern science (as well as many, many more things that don't).  Counting the hits and ignoring the misses and claiming the myth got it right is also silly.

Look at it this way:

Plenty of myths have humans being formed out of mud, or dirt, or dust.

Plenty of myths have humans being formed or coming from plants.

Plenty of myths have multiple gods fighting each other for control.

Plenty of myths have floods of various kinds.

Plenty of myths have animals playing crucial roles.

Plenty of myths list the sky as a dome, including the Jewish one (which it is not).

Plenty of myths envision the earth as flat, including the Jewish one (which it is not).

If you get too much confidence, or you get too bent out of shape over the presence or lack of any one of those in your favorite myth, you really are over-thinking these stories.

View Quote

This. The earth people is a very common tribal self-identity. The flood is an almost ubiquitous theme.

Obviously, the same aliens that spread the myth of Christianity visited the Chinese and gave them their stories.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Google Translator usually doesn't work very well, OP.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're forgetting a shit ton of water.

And the fossil record is clear there was not a single creation event. If there was, it was the creation of simple single celled lifeforms. There was a very slow progression of simple life forms that progressed into other life forms.

Genesis was from a prophetic vision. So if the creation was shown, it would have been a sped up summary like you would see on a science show. It would be impossible to convey the literal amount of time it took.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#43]
"Is this all just coincidence?"

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#44]
http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Genesis-Truths-Chinese-Language/dp/0570037921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436242482&sr=8-1&keywords=genesis+chinese

http://www.jdaniellowe.com/china.html

Tower of Babel, when God split the human population and sent them to different parts of the Earth.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:32:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote

Just like looking up at the night sky and seeing a crab, a hunter and a bear.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

No, I think that took some drugs. None of the constellations look like shit to me. Other than the big dipper and little dipper - but others see bears.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Well hell, that settles it then.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:51:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Except that China and the origins of the language date from before the alleged Tower of Babel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never gone a long with a completely literal translation. We had this dude named Jesus that was always telling stories in metaphors and parables. Why then is it hard to believe that God told the story of creation using the most scientific metaphor of the era, agriculture. There are also many verses that state that God's time is not relative to our own.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curiously, the mass of the human body is composed mostly of 11 elements:

Oxygen
Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Calcium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sulfur
Sodium
Chlorine
Magnesium

The rest of the body's physical composition is a slew of trace elements like iron, fluorine, zinc, lead, copper, aluminum, etc.

These eleven elements, plus every one of the trace elements, can be had by digging around...

...in the dust of the ground.

The point being, the Bible says we're made of the same stuff that the rest of this world is made of, which, as even one with the most basic scientific literacy knows, is absolutely true.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top