Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 7/6/2015 6:26:00 AM EDT
Art Bell has a new show starting on the 20th called "Midnight In the Desert".  Not sure I care for the name, but whatever.  Presumably with the traditional topics (aliens, ghosts, bigfoot, time travel, other dimensions, weird science, etc).

It is streamed online and broadcast on a few shortwave and AM/FM radio stations.

I've been a huge fan of Art for years.  I spent many a late hour during summers as a teenager listening to Coast to Coast AM.  These days with Noory it just isn't the same.

I hope it succeeds, but after the whole Dark Matter debacle I'm cautiously optimistic.

ETA:

AAC Stream

MP3 Stream

TuneIn

So far, due to Premiere radio interfering with guests last time, the guests for upcoming shows so far have been kept secret.  Looks like we won't who or what we're going to hear until at least the day before.  Should be interesting.

Picture shamelessly stolen from /x/:

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't care anymore. When I was in my twenties coast to coast was awesome. Now it just seems like insanity. Plus the retiring, coming back, retiring, coming back has gotten old.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Nut
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't care anymore. When I was in my twenties coast to coast was awesome. Now it just seems like insanity. Plus the retiring, coming back, retiring, coming back has gotten old.
View Quote

No kidding.  This has to be like the fourth or fifth time he's retired/returned.  

I don't know if the new show will last long, but he always did make for entertaining listening.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nut
View Quote

Did the Reptilian Illuminati tell you that?  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#5]
This is the work of the Shadow People, I just know it
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
He was talking with the guy about Mel's hole during my lonely night drive home through the desert. That was awesome.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is the work of the Shadow People, I just know it
View Quote

Shadow people are just shy and misunderstood inter-dimensional travelers.  It's the Greys you have to watch out for.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to work nights in the pre internet days. Listend to him a lot working at the office at home. Was fun then, now not so much.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd still rather have him. George Noorey is fucking painful to listen to, and every time I see his picture I want to punch him in that fucking Ned Flanders mustache hes got going on.

Personally, I liked John B. Wells best, not sure what got him gone but I assume it was his right leaning stance and opinion on things.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of that was due to Noory.  Bell has a better BS detector, Noory would let ANYONE on the show
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No kidding.  This has to be like the fourth or fifth time he's retired/returned.  

I don't know if the new show will last long, but he always did make for entertaining listening.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Two retirements were due to good reason.  One was due to some pervert stalking his son, the other was due to an excruciating back injury that made sitting for four hours during the show unbearable

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Eh, I guess I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Meh.

Clyde Lewis / Grond Zero is the current king of late night paranormal.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm hopeful but not optimistic...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I like noory alright... maybe its just the topics he does. When I turn his show on and he starts taking some nut callers on there I usually cut it off.
I want to say I remember art bell but I never really listened to coast to coast that much unless the topic interested me in the first 5mins when i turned it on.
Hopefully op will post a link when the show starts up. I'd give it a go.

Quoted:

A lot of that was due to Noory.  Bell has a better BS detector, Noory would let ANYONE on the show
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#16]
he needs to get together with Rollye James. they could do some type of deal where each one does a couple of nights and not get burned out.

both were very good on the radio and both dislike Noorey, I believe
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I listen to Art Bell almost every night now.
There are a number of cell phone apps that play all the old shows 24/7
It may actually be better listening to them now as opposed to when they first aired. Because you can listen to all the predictions of what is "going" to happen. Now you are listening to the show 20 years later and know what actually did happen. Last night, the show playing when I went to bed, he was talking about hurricane Katrina, which had happened shortly before the show first aired. Very interesting to relive those days right after some significant even occurred.

I put it on when I go to bed at very low volume and listen as I drift off to sleep.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was a kid, I thought Coast-to-Coast was cool, edgy, and it scared the pants off me.  When I was a teenager, I realized that most of it was fake and it was entertaining -- kind of like those 1930s old-timey radio shows.  When I became an adult, it stopped being entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It may actually be better listening to them now as opposed to when they first aired. Because you can listen to all the predictions of what is "going" to happen. Now you are listening to the show 20 years later and know what actually did happen. Last night, the show playing when I went to bed, he was talking about hurricane Katrina, which had happened shortly before the show first aired. Very interesting to relive those days right after some significant even occurred.

I put it on when I go to bed at very low volume and listen as I drift off to sleep.
View Quote
mind  PMing those apps to me?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#20]
As for Coast to Coast, I love listening to the "experts" that come on the show, but the callers kill me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will post the one I am using now on my Android devices, here. It's called Paranormal Radio. It has a bunch of related streams on it but it has I think six different Art Bell streams on it. All of them don't seem to be on all the time. The one that seems to be the best (on all the time) is called "The Very Best of Art Bell (U7Radio.org)".  I listened to The Very Best of Art Bell stream when I had Apple devices also.

Paranormal Radio app

If you don't have an Android device, again, there are similar apps for Apple which I used when I had Apple devices.

I find this stuff far more entertaining to listen to than typical radio talk shows. I get pissed off listening to political talk radio and can't get to sleep. I like sports talk but they beat everything to death (basically just repeat the same thing over and over and over). I am not a real big music person. I listen to music but not all that often. Plus the guests and callers to the Art Bell show have far more credibility than current TV "news". Not that, that is saying much.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. It can't ever be like 15 years ago.

I'll still check it out though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#23]
What, did he get swindled by another Filipino girl?

Needs to make some money back before he dies?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for posting the Link 444..  

I think bell is an incredible host... vastly  superior to noory... but I got tired of him quitting and coming back. .
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#25]
As a scientist, I hate "Coast to Coast," as it caters to ignorance and mysticism--I have actually had students try to tell me about stuff from that show as if it was accepted scientific fact.

However, I have to say, I always found Art Bell to be entertaining.

Glad to hear he is coming back.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As a scientist, I hate "Coast to Coast," as it caters to ignorance and mysticism--I have actually had students try to tell me about stuff from that show as if it was accepted scientific fact.
View Quote

I never got the hate for Art Bell.
People have no problem watching some bullshit movie or TV show, but then try to call out Art Bell that the stuff on his show is bullshit.  That is a given, but it is entertainment. I don't see the problem or the double standard. I have had no end of people try to tell me about something they saw on a movie that they considered fact, that I knew was total bullshit. How many people have you talked to over the years that told you something about guns that they saw on TV and you just stand there shaking your head ?

Then other people have a problem with him retiring, then coming back. Hey, I don't know about you, but if I retired and someone approached me with a lucrative deal to come back, I would at least consider it. Hell, he works out of his house and seems to enjoy doing the show, why wouldn't he consider coming back when someone is willing to pay you to sit in your house and do something you enjoy ? And, as has been mentioned, he has had some personal issues over the years that caused him to go off the air. You get the obligatory people who say he is a nut. Really ? He puts a show on the air that was #1 in his time slot among talk radio programs, which makes him money and this makes him a nut ?  When his show was on the air, he was the third highest rated talk show in the country and this makes him a nut ?

FWIW: I used to live in Pahrump (The Kingdom of Nye) and ran across him a few times. I am also into ham radio and talked to him on ham radio once and exchanged a couple personal emails with him about ham radio (not show related). I also knew other guys who also interacted with him with ham radio and from all accounts, he is a good guy. I know he is a gun owner and second amendment supporter on top of it. Another FWIW, I listened to him when he was just on a local radio station, before the Coast to Coast days. I worked as a paramedic and was up all night.

If he comes back, and is on at the time he used to be on, I won't be listening to it. When I lived in Nevada, the time was reasonable. Now living in the Eastern Time Zone, it is just too late for me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#27]
His show helped me through many a graveyard shift early in my career.  Sometimes interesting, sometimes wacky as hell but nearly always entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I loved classic C2C.  I was up in the middle of the night listening live when the famous "Area 51 employee" call came in.  Great stuff.

Can't stand Noory.

C2C was awesome back when, because it was like tuning in to a psuedo-real-life chunk of the X-Files during their heyday.  Back in the early internet, when you could still get up-to-date grainy pictures of Area 51 from Tikaboo Peak if you knew the right people to ask for the password(s) to a hidden FTP server.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Mel's Hole FTW!

And the title of the show is a song that Crystal Gayle wrote for him.

I listen to the classic C2C shows streaming on my ccWifi radio most nights.  Been listening to the show for about 20 years now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I loved classic C2C.  I was up in the middle of the night listening live when the famous "Area 51 employee" call came in.  Great stuff.

Can't stand Noory.

C2C was awesome back when, because it was like tuning in to a psuedo-real-life chunk of the X-Files during their heyday.  Back in the early internet, when you could still get up-to-date grainy pictures of Area 51 from Tikaboo Peak if you knew the right people to ask for the password(s) to a hidden FTP server.
View Quote
FTP and Telnet were fun...

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#31]
He voted for Obama, nuff said.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to listen to him by connecting the audio input of my VHS recorder to the output of my stereo receiver, them play the tape back the next day. Worked like a champ. Wish I had saved some of the tapes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#33]
When Art comes back, I'm going to mail George Snoorey a box of pizza rolls.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Over-the-air broadcast frequencies: http://artbell.com/radio-stations/

WBCQ has excellent shortwave coverage in much of the Eastern part of the country.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#35]
This is going to  be exceptionally cool listening on shortwave.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll give it a listen, but it's never going to be like it was.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could tell Bell wasnt buying a lot of the crazy shot...just egging on the insanity for the Laughs...Noory, OTOH, I got the vibe that he was a TRUE Believer no matter how fucked up.....plus he LOVED Alex Jones and hung on his every word when he had him on.  C2C kept me entertained through a lot of night shifts
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Meh.

View Quote

Never heard of him, may have to give him a listen.

Seems like Art comes back cool, then slowly loses his cool, then flips completely out, over the span of weeks.

He needs a valium before each show, then he won't come unglued.  Easy.

Noory is OK, but that Vegas newscaster is his best host.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Meh.

View Quote

I have never listened to Clyde Lewis but he is also on the Paranormal Radio app I linked to earlier.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I think it's clear it won't live up to the same anything goes circus atmosphere of the 90's.  The craziness aside, Bell was always a very good interviewer, and we saw that with the Dark Matter shows.  

I'm hoping he goes less toward the "Alien in the Freezer" and "I Shot and Buried a Bigfoot" frauds and kooks and more toward the thought-provoking interviews like he did with Michio Kaku, Bart Kosko, Malachi Martin, etc.

I don't think George Noory even listens to his guests.  He seems like a nice guy, but he is way too credulous, asks the same idiotic questions of every guest, and obviously doesn't do much preparation for the show.  George Knapp is excellent and you can tell he's a serious reporter.  I read that Art Bell said that if George Knapp had taken over for him on Coast to Coast AM then he would never have come out of retirement.  

I liked John B. Wells, but I guess his right-wing anti-government attitudes didn't sit well with the folks in Corporate.  I always imagined him taking a bong hit right before he went on air.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Praise the lord!

Art is still the best....Dave snoory mails it in every damn night....I don't wanna hear about fairies or fucking numbers ladies...George knapp is the best on Coast currently...I loved the evolution of John B Wells...but Dave had the knives out for him so that was the curtain call for him

I await Arts return...much like Planet X...will he get the interesting guests or will Dave, outta spite pull his shit again and threaten them not to appear on his show...

I m digging the idea of listening on shortwave via WRMI...just for that nostalgic feel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Into the exact same thing....I listen to old shows "the very best of art bell" .....the Katrina show is a good one....they ran the Merle haggard interview last night talking about Vegas back in the day...cool stuff
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You could tell Bell wasnt buying a lot of the crazy shot...just egging on the insanity for the Laughs...Noory, OTOH, I got the vibe that he was a TRUE Believer no matter how fucked up.....plus he LOVED Alex Jones and hung on his every word when he had him on.  C2C kept me entertained through a lot of night shifts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noory actually recounted his own story, on air, of how he believed he basically used a supernatural healing touch to cure his friend(?) of cancer.

If he'd been calling in to Art's show and said that, Art probably would have dumped the call at that point.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

George has said he uses "healing crystals" for all of his needs. That tells you everything you need to know.

Art gives his guests and callers a long, long line to go on, but he often hammers back with great questions that curtail his guests/callers. He also hates 9/11 trufers.

I love his questioning when it comes to time traveling and spiritual/religions activities. Asking a time traveler what truck he drives and his favorite soda is gold.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Only 8 days until showtime!

He said he's going to do a "test show" on the 19th.  I'm really hoping it will take off.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'll give it a listen, but it's never going to be like it was.
View Quote

Agree.  He was in the zone back then.  Aliens were the think (like Vampires are now).  I still like watching the X-Files but it's not quite the same.  

I loved that show.  I first listened when I was up all night working.  I had now idea what I was in for.  I stayed up the next night just to listen.  I was hooked ever since.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Art is doing an AMA on Reddit tonight at 6:30.  

Browsing Reddit gives me a headache but I thought some of you might want to check it out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Commeth the hour...
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I forgot about this thread

Art will be doing an open lines "test show" tonight at 12EST.  

The official show start is tomorrow night.  

Friday night's interview with John Batchelor

An interview from Saturday with some amusing moments:

I'm looking forward to this.  It might not be the same as it was in its heyday, but it doesn't have to be for it to be good (especially when compared to Coast these days).

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Coast to Coast can be fun to listen to, but there are way to many breaks in the program that go on forever.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top