Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 1:44:13 PM EDT
Had a pair of Bates 3140's years ago and were not bad but I'm in the market for some new boots and thought I'd see what you guys recommend.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What for?  I've been using Magnum Stealth Force boots with composite toe for a while.  On my second pair now. The old ones didn't wear out, but got contaminated in some sick nastyness.  I wouldn't wear boots like that outside of work though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/delta-6-gore-tex%C2%AE-side-zip-boot/20113M.html

I've bought these the last two times.  Pricey, but it cost me more buying a cheaper pair that I hated to wear and a pair of Timberlands that broke a plastic eyelet a few months after purchase.   I just wear them for everyday boots.  

I did get a chance to test the waterproofing on a really, really wet camping trip last year.  Feet were dry all weekend.  Light and comfortable.  I really like them.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a well worn pair of Bates GX-8s that are awesome, and I'm usually a huge Danner fan.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Bates GX-8 for duty. But rocky is also pretty good, I've heard they have issues with the side zipper though
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
For what use? I have a pair of Bates as well but much prefer my lightweight Under Armour boots.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Rocky Alphaforce Zipper boot. Been good since I bought them early this year. Fuckers are HEAVY, though. Good for kicking stuff.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Beat me to it, lol.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
You didn't say what you would wear them for, but check out Ariat. I've had good results from them, and they spend a lot of time in manure and stable muck. Very comfortable for everyday wear and easy to keep shined.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
danner striker 2 side zip

The Striker? II EMS? is designed on the TFX? Lite platform, which provides for a lightweight superior fit for agility and stability. Featuring waterproof, breathable W.L. Gore CROSS TECH® lining which protects against blood-borne pathogens, and an Armor Flex? II puncture-resistant midsole, the Striker II EMS is ready to protect and serve. The Pro-Tec? non-metallic toe and the midsole meet or exceed ASTM standard F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 EH and meet or exceed NFPA 1999-2008 Edition certified to SEI. Non-metallic construction won’t set off metal-based security systems.

Been wearing these at the fire house for the last 4 months.
Never owned Danner's always wore Bates boots.
I LIKE these way more then any Bates I ever had.
Better zipper the way it goes down to you insole and not the heal.

I spent 260$ I think but way worth it.
Get a better insole also
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/delta-6-gore-tex%C2%AE-side-zip-boot/20113M.html

I've bought these the last two times.  Pricey, but it cost me more buying a cheaper pair that I hated to wear and a pair of Timberlands that broke a plastic eyelet a few months after purchase.   I just wear them for everyday boots.  

I did get a chance to test the waterproofing on a really, really wet camping trip last year.  Feet were dry all weekend.  Light and comfortable.  I really like them.

View Quote
Good looking boot.

Always wondered about the proper use of a side zip boot.

Leave them tied and just use the zipper?

Tie/untie as usual, unzip and that makes them easier to put on/take off?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used Thourogood(sp), Bates, Magnums, and Rocky Alpha's. The Rocky's are BSI rated and comfortable for about 6 months to a year. After that the heel cup breaks down. I have worn out 5-6 pairs of them along with others. Never had the coin for Danner's. The new ones posted above me look good but are Danner's priced.

So they have held up well for duty use? Is the arch low/medium/high? (striker 2). This will sound strange but my Globe structural FF boots are the most comfortable boots I have worn.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good looking boot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good looking boot.

I've often wondered about the side zip myself.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes get them adjusted where you like them when zipped. Then unzip to take off and hold top and pull zipper to get proper fit. I wear Keen's more than side zips now, simply because I have not dropped the coin of new side zips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top