Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2015 7:20:40 PM EDT
This will be house #3 for me and #2 for Ms. Notrega. We are currently renting and are in a position to finally buy a house of our own. She had refused to look at houses outside of 2 particular zip codes, mainly due to school choices - we have 4 kids 8-12. Well I found a place that was just over the state line by 15 minutes and she agreed to go look. Well, we went today and while the house was nice, and a good price, the surrounding land/properties left a lot to be desired. We both nixed that house.

On the way back into town I pull up the Zillow app on my phone and I see two homes that I had somehow missed even closer to the state line. I pull into the first neighborhood and she says, "what are we doing in here, we can't afford anything in here." I pull up to the house and show her the listing and the price and I can see that she is seriously considering it. Swing by the other place and both places are better than anything we were planning on looking at the rest of the day.

By the time we got back into town she was sold - we go look at house #1 tomorrow. Both are in the price range... I hope to make an offer next week.

Both of these are in a rural area and I have to check on cable/trash/etc... what else do I need to bee looking for? The last time I did this was 15 years ago.  

House 1
2,078 sqft - $106/sqft
3/3
1.16 acres
Built in 2000
Hardwood floors
Granite countertops
2 master suites
2 car garage
Fire place
Gas heat
** Small HOA but a NICE little neighborhood - less than 30 homes

House 2
1634 sqft - $122/sqft
3/2
4.26 acres
Built in 1991
Hardwood floors
Deck
Shed
2 Car garage
Metal roof
Backs up to a plantation
No HOA but there is a shitty trailer just down the road...

Yeah I know the rules...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get a realtor to represent you.  Find your own inspector.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get a realtor to represent you.  Find your own inspector.
View Quote

We have one - we had to find one that was licensed in GA...

I have a friend that does inspections but I am not sure if he is licensed in GA or if that is an issue...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If either one of you has not had a mortgage in your name for two years you can aplly for first time home owner credit again. Im studying for my realtor license, i read that the other day. That information is based off the IRS.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Flood zone?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Your mortgage will not be your sole expense now (like it was renting).

Add 30% up to 50% to your mortgage for maintenance, property taxes, home insurance and upgrades.

Set something aside monthly for upkeep even if its a lesser amount. Otherwise you will be doing what every does and as soon as you get some equity you will get a 2ND/HELOC loan for carpet, a new roof and on and on...

Yes it will not be a fixed monthly expense and you can put some off, but it will remain and will add up. It does not go away.

It is too easy to mentally compare your old rent vs your mortgage and think, "hey we can do this, its easy".

Dave Ramsey is good on this stuff.

But you're a smart guy and asking what you are asking says you have a lot of common sense.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Just put an offer on a house today, after some haggling with the seller we came to an agreement
We were looking for the same area ( this place is less than half a mile from where we currently live ).  We wanted a bigger place, and important to me no HOA. It's the last house on the road so only one neighbor.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
NO NEIGHBORS!!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
find a sex offender map for that neighborhood

and find out who the shitty trailer belongs to and do some recon.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
don't get one with a sidewalk in your yard that cuts across the driveway

That would drive me bat shit crazy

Visit the house on weekends, workday mornings, workday evenings, check out traffic, see if any methheads live there, etc
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure you are present during any inspections you have done.  And hire them yourself, don't let the realtor use "the guy they always use."

I say this as someone who got seriously fucked when the realtors home inspector pencil whipped the shit out of the pest inspection on my house.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If I ever will look for a new house, I will look for one that does not have a sump pump.

Trust me, pump will fail, even if you have a battery back-up, and your basement will be flooded. Not to mention what a pain in the ass it will be if you have extended power outage.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Get papers on what the HOA rules/regs are. Some of them are flat out retarded (no washing your car, no leaving garage doors open, no flying flags etc)

What you need to look at depends on the individual. What do you do for a living? What do you like doing? (Ask yourself) etc

I'm a busy body so I like doing many things around the house. But there's things I don't like doing and don't want to do; so I looked for houses with solid furnaces and plumbing, finished bathrooms etc. And with that same idea, I looked for houses WITH bad windows and roofs; because I can do them well and cheap, take a lot off the asking price, and instantly bump up equity in the house.

I wanted distance from the neighbors, quiet neighborhood, non busy street etc.

I don't know if you do basements where you're at, but check for ANY signs of water at all. There's plenty of good homes out there without foundation issues.

Most of all be patient. Don't settle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Drainage.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Not related to the house...good job on the wife.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
If there are any older appliances in the house assume they will go two months after you buy, the stove in mine did, also get a good inspector to catch the BS that the seller is trying to hide from you. I PROMISE YOU THERE IS SHIT THEY DONT WANT YOU TO FIND THAT THEY WERE TO CHEAP/LAZY TO FIX.

The seller of my home failed to mention the furnace did not work and needed 250$ worth of repairs, the inspector caught that.

Seller paid for repair.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If either one of you has not had a mortgage in your name for two years you can aplly for first time home owner credit again. Im studying for my realtor license, i read that the other day. That information is based off the IRS.
View Quote

Interesting..Im hoping to close on my first house in August.

Im also getting a great deal on the financing, there is a reason I went this way. 5/1 arm 3.5% w/ 10% down, no PMI and because im a first time home buyer, my closing is $850 max.

Rural area -

Trash pickup, some have seperate bill from sewer and water.

Internet / cell reception (while you were there, shoulda whipped out cell phones and checked signal)

Well - how old? Any repairs?

Septic - condition? serviced last?

If on Public water and sewer find out the average cost, along with electric.

For home owners insurance, they will want to know the closest fire house and hydrant, apparently insurance rates weigh heavy on this info.

Check 100year flood plain.

Check for any possible future construction

Since im buying in another state in some unfamiliar areas, I call DOT and get the traffic count on the county roads, this tells me how busy they are.

Get a survey or ask the realtor if they have that info. They should have the MLS listing, sellers disclosure, possibly deed, survey and maybe even an appraisal if they had one recently, also check the tax records.

Like mentioned, get a good home inspection. The home inspector I got did a great job.

Like someone mentioned, going from rental to house is going to be different. Im in that boat right now. But im going from 1000 a month to 500 a month. My electric should be the same and since this on well, no water bill.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If there are any older appliances in the house assume they will go two months after you buy, the stove in mine did, also get a good inspector to catch the BS that the seller is trying to hide from you. I PROMISE YOU THERE IS SHIT THEY DONT WANT YOU TO FIND THAT THEY WERE TO CHEAP/LAZY TO FIX.

The seller of my home failed to mention the furnace did not work and needed 250$ worth of repairs, the inspector caught that.

View Quote

+1...

1st house I got serious about, the sellers moved in 8 years ago, did NOTHING to the house short of mowing yard. My home inspector had a field day in that house. I had a grocery list of things that were bad and some straight up hazardous (dryer vent sitting in the attic & exposed wires in attic). The home owners were old and barely knew what planet they were on. I passed on that house. Roof was done, ac/heat was done, rotten wood, cracks in dry wall, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Im also getting a great deal on the financing, there is a reason I went this way. 5/1 arm 3.5% w/ 10% down, no PMI and because im a first time home buyer, my closing is $850 max.

Rural area -

Trash pickup, some have seperate bill from sewer and water.

Internet / cell reception (while you were there, shoulda whipped out cell phones and checked signal)

Well - how old? Any repairs?

Septic - condition? serviced last?

If on Public water and sewer find out the average cost, along with electric.

For home owners insurance, they will want to know the closest fire house and hydrant, apparently insurance rates weigh heavy on this info.

Check 100year flood plain.

Check for any possible future construction

Since im buying in another state in some unfamiliar areas, I call DOT and get the traffic count on the county roads, this tells me how busy they are.

Get a survey or ask the realtor if they have that info. They should have the MLS listing, sellers disclosure, possibly deed, survey and maybe even an appraisal if they had one recently, also check the tax records.

Like mentioned, get a good home inspection. The home inspector I got did a great job.

Like someone mentioned, going from rental to house is going to be different. Im in that boat right now. But im going from 1000 a month to 500 a month. My electric should be the same and since this on well, no water bill.
View Quote

Thanks - we are looking at the place at 10AM and I will have all of these answers then - I hope.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am still on the mortgage that my ex-wife is living in...

But Ms. Notrega is doing this all on her own... I have become a kept man
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
don't get one with a sidewalk in your yard that cuts across the driveway

That would drive me bat shit crazy

Visit the house on weekends, workday mornings, workday evenings, check out traffic, see if any methheads live there, etc
View Quote

This is a small neighborhood and there are no through streets and the entrance is well off any main roads
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Find a good neighborhood with a solid HOA. They keep the riff raff out and keep property values up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Get a house inspection.

I did and it saved me some headaches. Not much wrong with the house I got inspected but it let me know what to watch out for.

Also get radon testing done if you live in an area that needs it. You'll be surprised.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#23]
No HOA's, period.

I've got better things to do than find anal-retentive, unemployed "little Napoleons" and ask them to sue me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Well we are back and we are going to look at the second house tomorrow or Tuesday. Having seen the inside of the house I am ready to make an offer but want to check the other place first.

As for the HOA - the other homes are very nice but I drove the whole neighborhood and saw tree houses, a huge motor home, etc... all very tasteful and nice. I saw several flags flying and one dedicated flag pole. You have to remember that this is in southern GA and most folks don't take much bullshit.

There were several people walking in the neighborhood with kids and pets. We got a very good feeling from the place.

The only issue that I saw was the property backs up to the road and there is a little traffic noise, but it is at the end of a cul-de-sac so there is no traffic on the street...

Here are some pics...

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Always check the roof and drainage.

Water is the devil.  Keeping water out protects everything else.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well we are back and we are going to look at the second house tomorrow or Tuesday. Having seen the inside of the house I am ready to make an offer but want to check the other place first.
View Quote

Wow,,that is really nice...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Checking out flood maps on fema.gov saved me a TON of money and heartache.

Having a proper soup to nuts septic inspection did too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Termites, Get a quality inspection done.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Flood information
Zone X

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Flood information
Zone X

http://i.imgur.com/Itt4e7Dh.png
View Quote

Well into zone x or right at the edge?

We bounced on a place that was ten, fifteen feet outside the flood zone.  They flooded.  We'd never seen that much water though, the actual odds of it working out that way were probably astronomical.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We bounced on a place that was ten, fifteen feet outside the flood zone.  They flooded.  We'd never seen that much water though, the actual odds of it working out that way were probably astronomical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flood information
Zone X

http://i.imgur.com/Itt4e7Dh.png

Well inside it - there is a lake a few miles away but no zone change close...
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#32]
We went to see the second house last night and it was nicer than anything else we have looked at except for house #1. The property for the second house was a long rectangle with the longest side facing the road.

So we put an offer on the first house, pretty low ball, to include the two tables the wife liked and for shits and giggles the 2 big ass TVs they had. They countered with a reasonable offer and were willing to part with the tables/TVs. We can afford to meet their offer but it is close to our limit and our realtor wants to try to get them to come down a little more and bring more to closing. Regardless it looks like we will be buying a house...
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Make sure you are present during any inspections you have done.  And hire them yourself, don't let the realtor use "the guy they always use."

I say this as someone who got seriously fucked when the realtors home inspector pencil whipped the shit out of the pest inspection on my house.
View Quote

We are having our inspection done monday morning. I can't be there but my wife is going to try and be. Yea, I used the guy the realtor recommended

We signed papers on the loan today, our closing is Aug 20.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We are having our inspection done monday morning. I can't be there but my wife is going to try and be. Yea, I used the guy the realtor recommended

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Im looking for a second house next spring.

Everything listed in the replies above it very good advise.I always check this site as well to look at the crime reports in any area im interested in

https://www.crimereports.com/
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#36]
It's clean for my location
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#37]
They accepted our counter offer but took the TVs and tables out...

We are under contract and should close 8/8
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Congrats man!  Castle notrega.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Congrats,glad everything worked out for you
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Septic and Home inspections done and everything looks great, no issues.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

As for the HOA - the other homes are very nice but I drove the whole neighborhood and saw tree houses, a huge motor home, etc... all very tasteful and nice. I saw several flags flying and one dedicated flag pole. You have to remember that this is in southern GA and most folks don't take much bullshit.

There were several people walking in the neighborhood with kids and pets. We got a very good feeling from the place.

The only issue that I saw was the property backs up to the road and there is a little traffic noise, but it is at the end of a cul-de-sac so there is no traffic on the street...

Here are some pics...

<a href="http://imgur.com/usl6dHG" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/usl6dHGl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/cmYN88N" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/cmYN88Nl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/0zpU0TO" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/0zpU0TOl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/P4vxUk3" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/P4vxUk3l.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/xmy2LuI" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/xmy2LuIl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/iX0TAaK" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/iX0TAaKl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/WFgskkR" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/WFgskkRl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/Mb2AJAs" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/Mb2AJAsl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/5tIoEft" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/5tIoEftl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/hP72Hvn" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/hP72Hvnl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/pLatxwq" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/pLatxwql.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/9ZauzmJ" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/9ZauzmJl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/o3an7mx" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/o3an7mxl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/5udBru6" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/5udBru6l.jpg</a>

<a href="http://imgur.com/7K3hNbw" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/7K3hNbwl.jpg</a>
View Quote

man you will never get the smell of pussy........cats out of that table
nice house
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

nice house
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are some pics...

nice house

we didn't get the table... now I am trying to find something like it online
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Termite inspection is clear...
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Rural area -

Trash pickup, some have seperate bill from sewer and water. Ours is separate $18/month

Internet / cell reception (while you were there, shoulda whipped out cell phones and checked signal) Damn good 4G signal and good speed test for the area, probably better than the DSL

Well - how old? Any repairs? Interesting here - there are community wells and one is just off my property and it's $28 for the first 8,000 gallons and $3 for every 1,000 over - based on our utility bill where we are will won't ever go over

Septic - condition? serviced last? I was there when it was inspected and the guys said it was good to go and I would be looking at a service in 2-3 years, he cleaned the filter while he was there and said everything was in very good condition

If on Public water and sewer find out the average cost, along with electric. We checked the average cost on electric and it is lower than ours

For home owners insurance, they will want to know the closest fire house and hydrant, apparently insurance rates weigh heavy on this info. There is a community fire hookup just down the road that pulls from the pond and there is a volunteer fire house less than 1/2 mile and the house is hardwired for smoke detection tied to the monitoring system

Check 100year flood plain. Clear

Check for any possible future construction The lot next door is empty and heavily wooded - 1 acre for $28k - we will hopefully pick that up this year

Since im buying in another state in some unfamiliar areas, I call DOT and get the traffic count on the county roads, this tells me how busy they are. I know the area and it is not a heavy trafficked road

Get a survey or ask the realtor if they have that info. They should have the MLS listing, sellers disclosure, possibly deed, survey and maybe even an appraisal if they had one recently, also check the tax records. Done - also getting the original plans for the house

Like mentioned, get a good home inspection. The home inspector I got did a great job. I was there for the inspection and she checked every damn thing and she was smoking hot. Roof is in excellent shape, only issues were a GFI outlet outside, kitchen sink is crossed plumbed, less than 3 feet of moisture damage to 3 different soffit areas, and one AC unit has a pipe that needs new insulation.

View Quote

We got an appraisal and we have just over $9k equity from day one
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#45]
5 Days to closing and we are steady packing... well Ms. Notrega is, I am helping a friend turn apartments painting.

I hate moving and have found I hate painting just as much. Also fucking college students are filthy fucking creatures.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Congrats on your new home, retard.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#48]
It's worth it.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I moved three weekends ago and have helped family members move the last two weeks (including today).  My back hurts... moving does suck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I paid for professional movers. Best $800 I ever spent. Congrats on the new home.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top