Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/3/2015 8:13:05 AM EDT
Oregon has demanded them to pay $135,000 fine to the lesbian couple...and also to shut the fuck up and never talk about the case.....

In January 2014, the agency found the Kleins unlawfully discriminated against the couple because of their sexual orientation. In April, McCullough recommended they pay $75,000 to Rachel and $60,000 to Laurel.

In order to reach the total amount, $135,000, Rachel and Laurel submitted a long list of alleged physical, emotional and mental damages they claim to have experienced as a result of the Kleins’ unlawful conduct.

Examples of symptoms included "acute loss of confidence,” "doubt,” "excessive sleep,” "felt mentally raped, dirty and shameful,” "high blood pressure,” "impaired digestion,” "loss of appetite,” "migraine headaches,” "pale and sick at home after work,” "resumption of smoking habit,” "shock” "stunned,” "surprise,” "uncertainty,” "weight gain” and "worry.”

America Land of the Free

also if you feel like it please donate to the Kleins...

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont understand it, really. its their shop, they have right to refuse service to anyone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
impaired digestion? lol I call BS on all this. They just wanted to sue.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I dont understand it, really. its their shop, they have right to refuse service to anyone.
View Quote
Once upon a time that might have been true (it was when I was younger), but not anymore. Welcome to the new America, same as the old Soviet Union--but with better choices, so far.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Any more, make the product. But make it so horribly done they'll never ask you to do it again.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any more, make the product. But make it so horribly done they'll never ask you to do it again.
View Quote

They'll fucking sue you for that too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
But that still would be grounds for a lawsuit...because you made a shitty cake on purpose.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Who could guarantee there would not be litigation alleging intentional sabotage of their special moment?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Winner

Edit: maybe not

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably something they ate...

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Winner

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winner

As the others have mentioned, they would still be sued for discrimination and lose.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, no.  That right (and the Tenth Amendment) went away in 1964:

-----------------------------------

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) is a landmark piece of civil rights legislation in the United States[5] that outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.[6] It ended unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public (known as "public accommodations").

Powers given to enforce the act were initially weak, but were supplemented during later years. Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution, principally its power to regulate interstate commerce under Article One (section 8), its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws under the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to protect voting rights under the Fifteenth Amendment. The Act was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on July 2, 1964, at the White House.

The bill was called for by President John F. Kennedy in his civil rights speech of June 11, 1963,[7] in which he asked for legislation "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theaters, retail stores, and similar establishments"

----------------------------

What could possibly go wrong with such a noble intent?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly, WTF is tell em' there more shops out there! And if they all say the same, one of the "couple" needs to learn Betty Fu@$ing Crocker!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, SCOTUS opened this Pandora box.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]
This ruling by Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian would appear to violate article 1 sections 3 and 8 of the Oregon constitution as well as both the freedom of speech (artistic expression in making the cake) and their freeedom to exercise their religious rights in the 1st amendment of the US Constitution.

Perhaps it's time for religious people everywhere to petition the Oregon and US the departments of justice. Probably nothing will be done but it might let someone know they have pissed off a majority of the people.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess would be the fish...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Yet the homos here say it will be different when churches refuse to let them marry in the church, they will never sue
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Just make the cake, spit in the batter out back where they cant see you and keep your mouth shut! The new AMERIKA
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#18]
This quest for inclusion will lead to more division.  Some businesses will necessarily choose to curtail their services or close altogether. It's a communist wet dream.  And the fools in this case are just puppets looking to cash in.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just forget the sugar
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) is a landmark piece of civil rights legislation in the United States[5] that outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.[6] It ended unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public (known as "public accommodations").

Powers given to enforce the act were initially weak, but were supplemented during later years. Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution, principally its power to regulate interstate commerce under Article One (section 8), its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws under the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to protect voting rights under the Fifteenth Amendment. The Act was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on July 2, 1964, at the White House.

The bill was called for by President John F. Kennedy in his civil rights speech of June 11, 1963,[7] in which he asked for legislation "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theaters, retail stores, and similar establishments"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good balance would be to have the above apply to standard goods that are available to anyone who shops in a retail establishment. Custom items like wedding cakes require individual artistry and expression, and the maker should be able to decide what projects he takes and who he works for.

I forsee bakers eliminating custom cakes and providing several standard designs. Want a custom cake and they will sell you a decorating kit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yet the homos here say it will be different when churches refuse to let them marry in the church, they will never sue
View Quote

Truth

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#22]
And there are those who will tell you that it will never happen...............until it happens and they search for an excuse to explain why it happened

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#23]
gay mafia strikes again.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#24]
"Excessive sleep, weight gain, lack of motivation"

Sweetheart, you're just a fat lazy fuck.....it wasn't the lack of cupcakes that did that to you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#25]
why does OP hate freedom?

this is freedom, embrace it!!!!

Just think of the alternatives, christians out there baking cup cakes, with no decent restraint.

I am going to donate to the rand paul campaign just to calm down my freedom boner.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#26]
To make myself feel good about this, I just remember the wisdom of Arfcom's freedom-loving (edit: for those with whom they agree), self-mislabeled "libertarian" set:

Gay marriage does not affect ANYONE who is not gay.

Gay marriage neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket.

Gay couples just want acceptance, they do not want anyone to change the way they live.

Gay marriage does not have any impact on anyone's religious beliefs.

There. All better.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I must love gay marriage
not loving gay marriage is the mind-killer.
not loving gay marriage is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my not loving gay marriage.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the not loving gay marriage has gone there will be nothing.
Only I (and some lawsuits) will remain.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#28]
How were the lesbos damaged?  Are these folks the only cake makers in Oregon?  Why would the lesbo couple want to spend their money at a business that doesn't support their gay beliefs?  This is BS, in your face, vindictive action on the part of the gay community!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

just forget the sugar
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just forget the sugar

Yup..

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Their list of "ailments" is such bull shit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#31]
That bakery must be federally funded.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That bakery must be federally funded.
View Quote

Or maybe they just have tax-exempt status.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm hazy on the details.  Did they refuse to bake anything for homosexuals, or did they refuse to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding?

I have no illusions that I or anyone else is perfect.  As a baker, I know that some of my customers may be cheating on their spouses.  so be it.  Doing

business with that knowledge is one thing.  But I would refuse the request of anyone who asked me to bake a cake that said "Adultery is great!" which

to me is immoral on religious grounds, yet to others may not be.  I would refuse to make something stating "Alcohol is great!" on religious grounds

even though I know many of my customers may drink.  It's one thing to do business knowing that people are sinners.  It's another to do business that

asks me to approve of any given sin.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I have products that cost $5 but are priced at $10,000.00. .Gov says I have to sell it but not what I have to price it at.
But there are coupons available that bring the price down to $10.
I can direct you to the Pastor that holds the coupon book.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks like they need to build a Killdozer disguised as a giant cake.

That list of "hurt feels" is a great example of fucked our "justice" system is.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope, Not paying. Would be making the news in a way I cant explain here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Show me a law that says they do.

I don't agree with the ruling, but, there has never been a law that said you can refuse to serve someone.

You might get away with it.........but only until they enforce the law on you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm hazy on the details.  Did they refuse to bake anything for homosexuals, or did they refuse to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding?

I have no illusions that I or anyone else is perfect.  As a baker, I know that some of my customers may be cheating on their spouses.  so be it.  Doing

business with that knowledge is one thing.  But I would refuse the request of anyone who asked me to bake a cake that said "Adultery is great!" which

to me is immoral on religious grounds, yet to others may not be.  I would refuse to make something stating "Alcohol is great!" on religious grounds

even though I know many of my customers may drink.  It's one thing to do business knowing that people are sinners.  It's another to do business that

View Quote

Look, this is New Amerika m you will not only accept abhorrent behavior, you will celebrate it.

It has been ordered by your masters. STFU slave and kneel at the alter of government.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, now the government will ensure you no longer have a business to worry about that conundrum..........

Ain't freedom great?

Welcome to the new America.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't agree with the ruling, but, there has never been a law that said you can refuse to serve someone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, i get that...just stupid, the gays are pushing their beliefs and winning, where the shop owners arent allowed to follow their convictions and are fined because of it. Cant the shop counter sue for the exact same reasons, the gays pushed their agenda based on religion and caused undo stress and "mental rape" of the shop owners?

Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt that has been true at any time in your lifetime. The Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 made that illegal. Thanks segregation!  

Yea, I live under a rock, didnt know they couldnt do that in their own shop, figured their shop , their rules.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I doubt that has been true at any time in your lifetime. The Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 made that illegal. Thanks segregation!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

soooooooooo

freedom IS scary
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Find islamic bakery
Ask to bake gay muhammad cake
??????
Profit!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

The bakery had previously made baked goods for one of the two lesbians in the story. When they went back for a gay wedding cake, they were told the bakery couldn't make those.

So, the lesbians weren't denied service, they were trying to order a product that the bakery doesn't produce.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top